DEMOLITION OF "THE DOG AND DUCK" HOTEL. 1896
An Old Landmark.
One by one Sydney's old buildings are being demolished, to make room for more up-to-date structures. The latest marked for destruction are the premises on Brickfield Hill, known for over half a century as the 'Dog and Duck Hotel. For the past few years the building has ceased to supply intoxicants, but has still catered for the inner man, a portion being in the occupancy of Mr. Denton, butcher.
Erected early in the thirties and in close proximity to the old cattle markets and the carriers' camping ground, the 'Dog and Duck ' was, in the ante-railway days, the principal resort for farmers and teamsters visiting Sydney on business or pleasure. This fact, in the "old days," naturally attracted to the 'Dog and Duck' not inconsideraide numbers of the sharping fraternity, who considered the countrymen easy prey. Some curious stories are, however, told concerning spoilers on whom the tables were turned.
When the 'Dog and Duck' was erected it was evidently intended to stand for many years, being most substantially built of stone, with enormous iron bark beams, squared soley by the axe. The walls are 2ft. in thickness, and each of the two storeys of which the building consists is remarkable for its paucity of windows and the lowness of the rooms.
Later in its career the 'Dog and Duck' had additional accommodation, in brick, tacked on to the original structure. At the rear of the premises are the remains of an old skittle-alley, wherein, it is stated, considerable money has changed hands.
In the latter days of its existence as an hotel, the 'Dog and Duck' was not identified with the skittle-alley which was sublet, and it was while thus occupied that a police raid was made, and over thirty men arrested on a charge of gambling, the cases, however, all being dismissed at the police court.
Evening News Sydney, NSW
Thursday 8 October 1896