montycosmo , from New Zealand, has been a Family Tree Circles member since Jun 2010. is researching the following names: MARTIN, FERRIS, CORNWALL and 6 other(s).
A bit of info ...
Henry Saville MARTIN born 1885 NZ, parents: Annie Maria SELWOOD and Henry Hennah MARTIN (married earlier in 1879 NZ - marriage reg.1879/2661).
Henry Hennah MARTIN died 1917, New Zealand aged 60yrs, Death Registration No.1917/2291.
SOURCE: Historical records of New Zealand
A Kiwi Adams finding his Roots!
Henry Hennah MARTIN married Annie Maria SELWOOD in the Chatham Islands on 19th November 1879
- Annie was supposedly born in the Chatham Islands about 1858
Their known children were:
1880 - Lavinia Mary Martin
- Lavinia married James David Livingstone in 1901
- sh died in 1960 aged 69
1882 - Agnes Isabel Martin
- Agnes married Robert Ruddick in 1910
- she died in 1941 aged 59
1883 - George Alexander Martin
- George married Elizabeth Mary Lawrie in 1902
- George married Mary Gemmill Wilson in 1921
- he died in 1946 aged 62
1885 - Henry Saville Martin
- Henry DIED OF WOUNDS in France in 1918 aged 33
- He was then from Opotiki, Bay of Plenty and his father, as Next Of Kin, was in Manunui (Taumarunui, King Country area)
1887 - Allan Elvyn/Elvin Martin
- married Elizabeth Louise Charlesworth in 1921
- he died in 1953 aged 66
1890 - Sydney Alfred Martin
- Sydney married Olga Wilson in 1919
- he died in 1948 aged 59 and is buried in Hamilton East Cemetery
- his wife Olga died 21 years later, buried Hamilton Park Cemetery
1894 - Leonard Maurice Martin
- Leonard married Edna Liel Sheather in 1930
- he died in 1964 aged 70
1896 - Norah Ruby Martin
- Norah married Clifford Wilson in 1916
- Clifford was a son of Nicholas Wilson & Mary Campbell
1899 - Eveleen Martin
- Eveleen married Alexander James Wilson in 1918
- Alexander was a son of James Wilson & Christina Clegg
1900 - William Selwood Martin
- William married Violet Ivy Eva Emily Copland in 1922
- he died in 1966 agd 65
I have come across an Alexander Hennah Martin in the London Gazette for 8 Jun 1858 and again 7 Oct 1859. Thus "James Bottomley, of North Bierley, near Bradford, in the county of York, Manufacturer, and Alexander Hennah Martin, of the same place, Mechanic, have given the like notice in respect of the invention of 'improvements in means or apparatus employed in weaving.'"
Is this your chap? I'm trying to identify which James Bottomley this is: owner of Buttershaw Mills or Grove Mills or another. I notice IGI gives AHM in Govan in 1867 - Cornelius Bottomley(my gtgtgdfather, who father might be the James Bottomely above) moved to Govan in the 1860s. I wonder??
Yes I do believe this is my GrtGrtGrandfather. His children were born in North Bierley, Bradford. His occupation on his sons death cert was Woollen Miller. That is about the only article I can find. I know his father Peter Hannah Martin was a sculptor. AHM was born in Scotland abt 1834. In 1901 census he was a mechanic in Loom work. His son Henry apparently burn't his fathers business to the ground and was hence sent to New Zealand as a 'remittance man'.
That was rather careless of Henry?! I haven't got the hang of this site yet: can you send me your email address and I'll send you what info I have on AHM. He had several patent applications, and was obviously James BOTTOMLEY's chief techie. I'm still trying to work out whether he worked for my gtgtgdfather James BOTTOMLEY of Shelf and/or his cousin James BOTTOMLEY of S Bottomley & Bros at Buttershaw Mill, N Bierley.
Knowing more about his circumstances might help in fathoming the situation re my James BOTTOMLEY's insolvency.
My email is [email protected] Looking forward to hearing from you. Regards Lyn
Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.
Join over 170,000 others who are connecting with their cousins and common researchers!
FamilyTreeCircles is easy and free.