Looking for parents of Lodowick Light
Looking for information on the parents of Lodowick Light (Licht) from Germany. Revolutionary War Record of Lodowick Light
Served in Thomas Regiment of the New York Militia. He was a sergeant in Capt. Hunter's Co. of Grenadiers, commanded by Richard Sackett, First Lieut. in Col. Thomas Thomas' Battn, of Westchester Co. in New York,commanded by Lieut Gill Budd. Company pay roll. Not dated. Entered the service Aug 16, no year, left service Aug 21, discharged. In service 6 days wages per day 2/1 1/2. total wages 12 shillings, 9 pence. again served on Oct 14, 1776 and left service 27 oct 1776. Served 14 days earned 1 pound 9 shillings 9 pence. End record.
Lochwich Light -- Court Record Westchester Co., New York 1787 Comon Pleas: Copias A-311 (24)L 23
Lodowick Light (formerly Licht from the German) settled about 1787 on the north side of the river near the island just below Nichols and built a log cabin and a tannery. One cold day Mary Light was in the kitchen frying up a lot of pork (they had just butchered their hogs), when six tall and grim visaged Indians opened the door and filed in, evidently attracted by the smell of the pork. They grunted and signified that they were hungry and wanted a meal. Mary handed out enough of the meat to satisfy the six braves, where upon they silently turned and walked out just as they had come in.
After the close of the Revolutionary War, several honorably discharged soldiers came to this section from Bedford, Westchester County on horseback, (among them the Platts.) They built cabins, planted crops and returned to Bedford for their families and household goods which they brought up the Susquehanna River on flatboats from Wilkes Barre which were poled upstream against the current.
The first three men to come were Jesse Miller, Lodowick Light, and Enos Canfield. They were partners in ownership of 2,765 acres of land much of which they sold to other settlers. Being staunch Christians, they entertained the Reverend David Jayne who organized the Baptist Church in the County and consisted of nine members.
Mr. Light built his home at the foot of the hill and also a tannery and shoe factory. He was a Methodist. He gave a white oak grove nearby for camp meetings. On Saturday, July 11, 1807 and Sunday, July 12, Bishop Asbury preached at the camp ground and ordained five men local preachers. In 1812 Lodowick Light deeded an acre for the joint use of Presbyterians, Methodists and Baptists and a church was built. Trustees named were Emanuel Coryell, Enos Canfield and Andrew Alden. $144 was raised.
Title: "Descendants of Robert Seeley & Obadiah Seeley, Generations 1 -5"
Author: MILLS, Madeline M. & Olsen, Katherine M.
Publication: SGS 1997
Lodowick married Martha (Patty) Seeley born 1756 died 1848. They lived in Tioga County, New York.