Looking for sister/s of Janet CROZIER, CROSIER, CROYSER, CROSAR or CROZER b 1773
William OLIVER (1812 - 1888) and Elizabeth TURNBULL (1812/13 - 1887) were married on 14 June 1833. The Parish Record shows that –
• their marriage was registered in Jedburgh, Roxburghshire, Scotland
• they were both living at Samieston, east of Jedburgh, at time of their marriage
• William's occupation was listed as Ploughman.
Their first 2 children were born in Scotland - John 1834 and Agnes 1836. The Parish records shows:
• the births were registered in Cavers
• the parents were living in Denholm at the time of their births
• William's occupation was that of Labourer.
They applied for free passage to South Australia on 15th July 1839. The application number was 5458 and was made to a Mr George Rue or Rae. A Mr LITTLE selected William and his family. William was listed as an Agricultural Labourer, residing at Southdean, Roxburghshire, at the time of this application.
William and Elizabeth arrived in South Australia on December 20th 1839, on the Delhi, which left Liverpool, England on August 18th 1839. They arrived with their two eldest children and other relatives. The other relatives are very likely to be -
• Archibald LITTLE b 29 Jan 1812 in Cavers, Roxburghshire, Scotland. Died 12 Aug 1903 Mt Barker, SA, Australia. Applied for free passage to South Australia on 15 July 1839 with his wife and 1 daughter aged 15 months.
• William LITTLE b 7 June 1814 in Denholm, Roxburghshire, Scotland. Died 3 May 1850 & buried at sea – St Vincent Gulf, SA, Australia.
Archibald and William LITTLE’s parents were John Archibald LITTLE b 20 Dec 1774, Denholm, Roxburghshire, Scotland and Janet Crozier b 1773, Scotland. The reason they are the likely relatives is that there is mention in a letter, that Janet CROZIER’s sister was William OLIVER’s mother, but we haven’t solved that puzzle yet.
We have a letter in our family that states:
• Janet Crozier (b 1773 Scotland) had a sister who was William Oliver's (1812 - 1888) mother.
• Janet Crozier's father was French
• Janet Crozier had a brother who was father to John Crozier, Member of Parliament in South Australia, (b 1814 Langburnshields, Scotland – d 1887 Adelaide, SA, Australia
Underneath this letter are notes written by Maud Agnes Wood Little (1882 - 1964), a daughter of Ann Cameron Little (nee Oliver). Ann 1851 – 1939 was a daughter of William & Elizabeth. The notes are as follows -:
• Grandfather Oliver
• Miss Turnbull
John Oliver, the first son of William and Elizabeth, named his second daughter Jane CROZIER Oliver (1861 - 1930) and his 4th daughter Agnes MURRAY Oliver (1872 - 1958) - I find this very interesting in light of the notes attached to the letter, as Crozier and Murray are unusual names to give to daughters unless there is some kind of a family connection. John had no sons.
Regarding the brother of Janet CROZIER who was supposedly the father of John CROZIER MP. I think I have tracked him down - William CROZIER (circa 1791 - 1863) born in Scotland and who married Margaret SMITH (1791 - 1848).
The "Biographical Index of South Australians 1836 - 1885" lists William CROZIER and Margaret SMITH as parents of John CROZIER MP. I have sighted this William CROZIER’s death certificate and gotten the following information –
• William Crozier
• Cattle dealer
• Aged 72 yrs - (therefore born circa 1791)
• Married to Margaret Smith
• Died 7 August 1863 in the Tower Hotel, Hawick
• Father - John Crozier, Shepherd (deceased)
• Cause - Malignant disease of bladder unknown
• Present & informant - William Crozier (son)
• Death registered 8 August 1863 at Hawick
Can anyone help me find the sister of Janet CROZIER, who supposedly was the mother of my gg grandfather William OLIVER?