libwah has been a Family Tree Circles member since Apr 2009. is researching the following names: SOUTH, WALKER.
I am looking for any information about the South,Monckton,Mallise family's from Gilgai Inverell.
Dear libwah, Welcome. As I have lots of Inverell families in my tree, I also no doubt have your MONCKTONs.
Here's a bit of what I've been able to find so far, verification required as much as possible...
Jasper MONKTON born 1740 South Petherton, Somerset, England married Mary EDMONDS. The couple had three children that I can find, possibly more:-
1. Elizabeth MONKTON born 1769 Stratton, South Petherton, Somerset, England married 1786 South Petherton, Somerset, England Thomas MASTERS 1767-1836 also of South Petherton.
2. William MONKTON born 1777 Stratton, South Petherton, Somerset, England
3. James MONKTON born 1781 Stratton, South Petherton, Somerset, England
married Hannah EDMONDS born 1782 South Petherton, Somerset, England. Their son William MONCKTON Source - FamilySearch.org Ancestral File No. 95SZ-JV born 1819 South Petherton, Somerset, England, christened 31 Jul 1819 South Petherton, Somerset, England died 13 Feb 1859 Yarrowick, Uralla, New South Wales, Australia, buried 15 Feb Yarrowick.
William MONCKTON 1819-1859 married 24 Dec 1837 South Petherton, Somerset, England Hannah HUTCHINGS born 18 Feb 1820 Crewkerne, Somerset, England died 21 May 1899 Armidale, New South Wales, Australia, buried 22 May 1899 (source IGI). Hannah was the daughter of John HUTCHINGS or HUTCHINS born abt 1787 Crewkerne, Somerset, England and Ann STEMBRIDGE born abt 1791 Crewkerne, Somerset, England. William & Hannah had 5 children that I can find, possibly more...
1. James MONCKTON born 9 Feb 1838 Stratton, South Petherton, Somerset, England, christened 4 Mar 1838 South Petherton, Somerset, England, died 10 Dec 1900 Rookwood Asylum, Granville, New South Wales, Australia, buried 11 Dec 1900 Rookwood (source IGI). Married 31 Oct 1873 Bundarra NSW Australia Mary CUNNINGHAM born either 1845/1849 NSW.
2. John MONCKTON born 1840 South Petherton, Somerset, England
3. George MONCKTON born 1842 Stratton, South Petherton, Somerset, England died 1912 Bundarra NSW.
4. Sarah Ann MONCKTON born 1845 Over-Stratton, South Petherton, Somerset, England died 1874 Bingara NSW (death reg.8231/1874). Married abt 1873 unknown location Lim KIM born abt 1840 China
died possibly 1880 Australia. They had a son called Sam KIM or Kim Sam (Chinese surnames being placed first, and personal names following). Sam KIM born 1874 Warialda, New South Wales, Australia
(birth reg.20685/1874). Strangely there's a possible death record maybe of father, even though it says Kim Sam aged 42 years, in 1880 (reg.no.7376/1880), died Inverell NSW.
5. William MONCKTON born 16 Dec 1854 Mt. Dangaras Station,Yarrowick, Uralla, New South Wales, Australia died 24 Aug 1942 Inverell NSW. Married 1881 Armidale NSW Elizabeth (Eliza) MALLIS born 1859 Manning River (registered Wingham 13821/1859), New South Wales, Australia died 30 Sep 1934 Bundarra, buried Bundarra General Cemetery. See Cemindex link for regional NSW below.
Eliza MALLIS was the daughter of Charles MALLIS or MALLISE born abt 1830 and Mary unknown. Siblings were: Charles 1861-1862 Manning River NSW, Sarah born 1863 Manning River, George born 1865 Manning River NSW, William born 1867 Manning River NSW, Edward born 1872 Armidale NSW, and Mary Jane MALLIS born 1874 Armidale NSW.
William MONCKTON and Elizabeth MALLIS had one known daughter (possibly more children) Molley (Melba) Jennett MONCKTON 16 Mar 1896 Auburnvale, Inverell NSW Australia (reg.13212/1896), died 13 May 1955 Newcastle NSW buried Sandgate Cemetery NSW.
POSSIBLE SIBLINGS: Edward 1891, Hannah 1892 and Sylvia 1895 Inverell.
Molley/Melba married 14 Jul 1913 Stanborough (registered Tingha), New South Wales, Australia Ernest Henry James DIXON born 1890 "Keera Station", Bingara, New South Wales, Australia, died 29 Mar 1924 Inverell, buried Ashford Cemetery. They had three children: Lionel G. DIXON died 1915 Inverell, Roy H. DIXON died 1917 Inverell, Bernhard Ernest DIXON born 1918 Ashford NSW died 1977 NSW married living HOLMES.
WEBSITES OF INTEREST...
Australian Cemeteries Index
Search for inscriptions, there are 9 records for MONCKTON and 0 for MONKTON.
An interesting tree to look at RootsWeb World Connect Project - MONCKTON - MALISSE
NSW Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages
Thankyou allycat,I do have some information on the Monckton Family. My Grandmothers mother was Emily Eliza Monckton she married Edwin Cook.My Grandfather South's side is proving a bit of a headache.
I have just sighted your reference to the South family Inverell area. I also have connection to Inverell (but not this family) and have a couple of Inverell Cemetery Books with South names in them - Hope this may be of help.
Buried Church Of England Cemetery, Inverel:
Baby South died 12/11/1953 - 1.5 hrs old - Address = Gilgai
Claude South died 11/3/1924 aged 3 yrs - Address = Gilgai
Elizabeth Maud South died 15/4/1937 - aged 68 yrs
Ernest Harold South died 22/11/1933 - aged 34 yrs (Notes: died Glen Innes Hospital)
George Herbert South died 23/1/1955 - aged 84 yrs - Address = Gilgai
John Thomas South died 9/10/1913 - aged 28 yrs - Address = The Ponds, Gilgai
Margaret Cecelia South died 13/6/1920 aged 49 yrs (Notes: Died Gilgai)
Susanna South died 30/6/1920 aged 78 yrs (Notes: Died The Ponds, Gilgai - Our Dear Mother)
Walter Henry South died 21/4/1928 aged 64 yrs
William South died 3/1/1906 aged 83 yrs Address = South's Gully, The Ponds,Gilgai (Miner)
Buried Inverell New General Cemetery:
Annie Edith South died 18/6/1985 aged 81 yrs - Address = Inverell Rd, Gilgai
Douglas Lindsay (Pat) South died 3/5/1975 aged 72 yrs - Address = Finch St, Bingara.
Elizabeth Rose South died 9/3/1975 aged 65 yrs - Address = 88 Ring St, Inverell.
Leslie George South died 6/4/1981 aged 78 yrs - Address = Tingha Rd, Gilgai.
Walter Stewart South died 12/10/1979 aged 85 yrs - Address = Tingha Rd, Inverell.
I suggest you could cross match these people by searching thier death in birth death & marriages to obtain parents names.
Good luck, Meg
hello there,...im a decedent of the souths direct line,...from tingha nsw
there is also a fanny south as well
Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.
Join over 170,000 others who are connecting with their cousins and common researchers!
FamilyTreeCircles is easy and free.