LOWER HUTT New Zealand BUSINESS OWNERS in the 1800s
Some of the people that were settlers of the Lower Hutt Wellington in the 1800s
George and Walter Thomas CUDBY were Coach, Livery and Bait Stable Proprietors and Contractors, near the Railway Station.
The business was established in 1856, the contracting line—coaching being added about twenty years later by their father John Cudby J.P., who arrived in Wellington in 1842 on the Thomas Sparks,
Coaches ran daily to and from Taita to meet all trains arriving at the Hutt.
Buggies, carriages, and saddle horses were supplied to picnic and other parties.
Percy Robert and Cruwys Dee PURSER, were Coach Builders and General Smiths, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
The business, was established in 1842 by Henry Collett, and was conducted for some years by the COLLETT BROTHERS. (Cruwys was a coachbuilder in Te Puki by 1916)
Alexander James LUMSDEN, was a Coachbuilder and Wheelwright in the Main Road Lower Hutt
Miss Ada McKAIN, was a Dressmaker and Milliner, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
Ada was apprenticed to Miss DEVEREAUX, and subsequently gained experience at Messrs Warnock and Adkin's, Wellington.
The business was established in 1893.
(she was still Miss Ada McKain of Lower Hutt/Taita in 1897)
Devereux, Miss, Dressmaker and Fruiterer
Main Road, Lower Hutt.
George NICHOLAS, had the Central Hotel, from February 1895
It was on the corner of Main and Waiwetu Roads, Lower Hutt.
A two-story wooden structure of thirty-three rooms which was erected about 1870
The house had sixteen bedrooms, a dining room with seating for thirty, a billiard-room, and several sitting rooms.
Behind the hotel there were stables, including ten loose boxes, and sale yards capable of holding 2000 sheep or fifty head of cattle.
PATRICK CASEY had the FAMILY HOTEL, Main Road, Lower Hutt
It was established in 1874.
Patrick had it from 1891.
Archibald A. GRAY, had the Railway Hotel, Main Road, Lower Hutt from 1898
It was established in 1875.
Francis Joseph McGOVERN, had the Taita Hotel from 1896.
It was first licensed in 1893,
George McILVRIDE, (1838-1910) was a General Blacksmith, Farrier and Wheelwright, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
George emigrated from Perthshire, Scotland, where he was born in 1838, arrived in Auckland on the “Andrew Jackson,” in 1864.
Married Janet Sinclair in 1864, had Peter McIlvride in Auckland 1865 and settled in the Hutt the following year, having another 9 children
He founded the business and acquired the freehold.
It was a large allotment on which his workshops and two-story dwelling of eight rooms stood.
The building included blacksmith, wheelwright and paint shops and included lathes, boring machine, iron cutter and band-saw, are used in connection with the business, about eight hands being employed. The leading line is horse-shoeing and general work, but coach repairing and some coach building was also done.
George tapped a flow of artesian water on his property, which was invaluable.
Isaac JAMES was a General Blacksmith in Taita.
James McMENAMIN was a General Blacksmith on the Main Road, Lower Hutt
It was established in 1896.
In 1906/1907 a James J. McMenamin (possible son ?) of the Wellington Dioceses, at the Holy Cross College (Mosgiel, Dunedin) passed the matriculation examination
The Holy Cross was an Ecclesiastical Seminary which was blessed and opened on May 3rd 1900)
- by 1909 he was Reverend James McMenamin, subdeacon of Wellington archdiocese, but still training in Dunedin
- in 1910 he was Father McMenamin and took over from Father Bergin at Westport
- on 9th June 1917 John Joseph McMenamin (next of kin from Lower Hutt) was killed in action at Belgium aged about 36. He was Chaplain-Captain - Chaplain Class IV (Captain), #6/1215 and served in Gallipoli, Egypt and France, the first Catholic priest to offer himself for service with the NZEF,
He was a member of the well-known Wellington family. He played representative cricket and was a talented musician. He had engaged in journalism in Australia and business in Wellington prior to being the first pupil of the Mosgiel Seminary
- on December 30th 1908 Margaret McGrath, second daughter of Mr John McGrath of Taita married W. H. McMenanin, eldest son of Mr J. McMenamin of Lower Hutt (350 guests attended)
- they had a daughter on the 10th Feb 1911
NOTE - in the early days (1800s onwards) there were McMenamins in Invercargill, Lower Hutt, Taranaki, Thames and Auckland. There was a Sister Mary McMenamin (Sister Mary Theophane) in Auckland in 1900
- a Frank McMenamin was a horse trainer/breeder in the North Island
Timothy TWORMEY (Twomey ?) was a General Blacksmith, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
William Checkley DEVEREAUX, established the wholesale and retail butchery in the Main Road, Lower Hutt in 1856 the only one of its kind in the district
He emigrated in 1855 on the “Myrtle,” and settled in the district. He took a keen interest in local and colonial politics for over thirty years, and died in 1887 — five minutes after having voted at the general election of that year and is buried in the Christ Church Taita Cemetery
His son Frederick William Devereux, took over the business in 1886
The freehold premises included a two-story shop and dwelling.
His slaughter-house, fitted with every modern appliance, was situated on the Main Road about a mile from the shop.
Frederick Devereux was born in Lower Hutt in 1859, and learned his business with his father, assisting in the management of the business for several years before taking it over
Thomas BURT was a General Storekeeper, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
The business was established in 1847 by his father Thomas Burt, (1818-1888) one of the early settlers in the Hutt Valley.
The building was of wood and iron and was erected on freehold property, centrally situated, the total floorage space being nearly 5000 square feet.
Thomas occupied a foremost place as a business man in Lower Hutt and the business was the oldest in the district. He traded in produce, grocery, drapery, boots and shoes and ironmongery.
He was a direct importer of paper-hangings and other special lines.
He employed four skilled assistants in the trade, which extends over a wide area, three horses and a cart were used in the delivery.
Egbert FEIST & Co were General Storekeepers, corner of Main and Waiwetu Roads, Lower Hutt.
The business was established in the 'early days',
Egbert owned it from 1889.
It was a two story wooden shop and dwelling, the firm were agents for the Liverpool, London, and Globe Fire, and the Colonial Mutual Life Offices, and for Messrs. Nimmo and Blair's seeds.
Egbert was born in England and emigrated to Wellington on the ship “Mallard” in 1865.
Joseph CARTER was a General Storekeeper, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
It was established in 1880.
William CLELAND was a General Storekeeper in Taita.
It was established in 1861.
John Augustus MASON was a General Storekeeper, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
It was established in 1865.
John H. ROSS was a General Storekeeper in Taita.
It was established 1839.
(John was also an agent for the Evening Post)
St. Clair JOUNNAX was a Baker and Confectioner, Lower Hutt.
The shop was in The Square - the bakehouse was in Waiwetu Road.
It was established in 1869.
St Clair purchased it in 1894.
(St Clair and William Jounnax applied for a patent for "Improvements in knife cleaners")
Daniel McKAIN was a Baker and Confectioner, Main Road, opposite Railway Station, Lower Hutt.
It was established in 1891.
(possibly a son of Daniel, Thomas McKain)
Edmund MILLS was a Tailor, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
It was stablished in 1896.
Richard Walton KEEYS was a Painter, Wood, Coal and General Dealer on the Main Road, Lower Hutt.
Henry BRANDT was a Boot and Shoemaker, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
Walter Peter PRINGLE and Frank REID were Saddlers and Harness Makers, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
They conducted business from 1893.
Walter was the first All Black for the Petone Club in 1893
David and William David EVEREST, father & son were Grain Merchants and Orchardists, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
It was established 1894.
Charles TREVETHICK was a Brush Manufacturer, Main Road, Lower Hutt.
It was established in 1879.
Charles's house corner of Randwick Road & Whites Line, Lower Hutt
- Charles married twice at above link
- 3 times at this link Charles and Elizabeth & Eliza Frethey
Edward Joshua RIDDIFORD J.P., (see link at Egbert Feist above) was a Station-owner, Lower Hutt
He was the son of Daniel Riddiford, who arrived in Wellington on the Adelaide (cabin passengers) in 1839, bringing, in sections, the first house that was erected at Pipitea Point (named Belsize Point on Chaffer's map, 1840.)
Edward's mother Harriot used to write the despatches for the New Zealand Company.
Edward, who was born in Lower Hutt in 1843, was the first child baptized by Bishop George Augustus Selwyn in New Zealand, and was educated primarily in Wellington, and at [url=http://adbonline.anu.edu.au/biogs/A050341b.htmMorrison's Scotch College[/url] in Melbourne.
He owned the Te Awaiti estate of 50,000 or 60,000 acres on the east coast beyond Cape Palliser, the Orongaronga estate, which included 640 acres of freehold and 7000 acres of leasehold, and 272 acres in the Hutt, on ten acres of which he had built his house
In the early days he took his share in defending the settlement, acting as a lieutenant in the militia under Colonel Gorton.
- Edward was married in 1879 to a daughter of the late Henry Bunny
Daniel WEST was born in Croyden, Surrey in 1822.
He arrived into Port Nicholson (Wellington) on the Martha Ridgway aged 16 in 1840.
He spent a short time in Wellington and some years in Chatham Islands and then settled in the Hutt Valley in 1857, having a 35 acre farm in Waiwetu