MARTINBOROUGH, Wairarapa 1908
most of the following information was taken from MARTINBOROUGH from NZETC
- visit the site for a lot more information on what Martinborough was like back then and a look at the settlers and the businesses of the town (includes many old photos)
as written in 1908 ...
Martinborough is a good sheep-farming district fifty-eight miles north-east from Wellington, in the county of Featherston, and is a half-way place between Lower Valley, Greytown, and Featherston. With the two latter places it has communication by coach, having a daily mail service with Featherston. The original village was called Te Waihinga, but, later, the late Hon. John Martin cut up a portion of his estate there, and laid out the present town. It has a spacious square for its centre, and broad, well-kept streets radiate to all points. The surrounding country for miles is level and undulating, and is chiefly a sheep station district, although there is a considerable area of land suitable for agricultural and dairy farming purposes. There are two cheese factories in the district, one at Dry River and the other at Tawaha. Martinborough is the head-quarters of the Featherston County Council.
The town has a sash and door factory, a large boot and shoe and boot polish factory, an extensive coachbuilding and smithing establishment, a post, telegraph and money order office, two hotels, a town hall, a public school, a public library, three churches, a fire brigade, an Oddfellows' hall, three banks, and a triweekly newspaper.
The town has a fine racecourse and show grounds, and the social life is represented by Masonic and Oddfellows' lodges, a jockey club, a Caledonian society, a coursing club, an athletic club, and a gymuasium. Martinborough is the best district in New Zealand for deer stalking, and there is also excellent trout fishing.
There is a famous Maori carved whare at Table Lands, near Martinborough, belonging to the estate of the late Tamahau Mahupuka.
* Mr John BOYD who has been a member of the Martinborough Town Board since September, 1906, was born in Martinborough in January, 1881 and was the first child born in the township ... more
* Mr Joseph John JACKSON who has occupied a seat on the Martinborough Town Board from its inception, was born in Greytown in August, 1862, and is the only son of the late Mr. S. E. Jackson, M.R.C.V.S., for many years veterinary surgeon in the Wairarapa .. more
* Mr Frederick McCALLUM who has been clerk to the Martinborough Town Board since its inception, is also Registrar of Births, Deaths, and Marriages. He was born in New-castle-upon-Tyne in April, 1858 ... more
Members of the council for the year 1908 are: Messrs. A. MATTHEWS (chairman), A. D. McLEOD, J. McLEOD, A. O. CONSIDINE, J. McMASTER, W. J. NIX, M. J. H. JACKSON, T. BENTON, and T. F. EVANS.
Mr. G. W. COBB is the county clerk, and Messrs. J. W. SPIERS and T. DAVIS are road overseers
* Mr Thomas Frederick EVANS was born in Wellington in June, 1852, and is the third son of Mr. John Evans, who came to New Zealand in the ship “Adelaide,” in 1840. He holds a seat as a member of the Featherston County Council as representative of the Otaraia riding, and had served for five years on the Road Board, which had previously controlled the district ... more
* Mr Andrew O'Loughlin CONSIDINE was born in Burren, County Clare, Ireland, in January, 1849, and at nine years of age went with his parents to South Australia, where, after leaving school, he was brought up to farming pursuits, which he followed for about eighteen years. In 1875 he came to New Zealand, in February of the following year settled in Martinborough, and for eighteen months was employed as carter for Mr. WATERHOUSE ... more
* Mr George William COBB who was appointed clerk to the Featherston County Council In November, 1904, was born in Christchurch, Hampshire, England, in October, 1873, and is the third surviving son of Mr. J. E. Cobb, of Napier. He came to New Zealand with his parents in 1884 ... more
“The Martinborough Star” is a tri-weekly newspaper, published in Martinborough on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. It dates from the 4th of October, 1904, when it first appeared as a bi-weekly paper, and was owned by Mr. J. H. Claridge, who subsequently sold out to Mr. A. C. NICOL. It was issued as a bi-weekly paper until the 11th of February, 1907, when it became a tri-weekly. The office of the “Martinborough Star” is situated near the Square. The premises comprise a large well-lighted printing room, composing room, and public and private offices. The office is connected by telephone (No. 43). The old hand press has given place to a modern Payne and Sons Otley D. D. WHARFEDALE printing machine, driven by a Hercules gas engine. The “Star” contains four pages of seven columns each, and has a large circulation in the district. In politics it is independent
* Mr Andrew NICOL Manager and Editor of the “Martinborough Star,” was born in Kilwinning, Ayrshire, Scotland, in October, 1870 and came to New Zealand in the year 1891. In October, 1897, he married Miss Urie, of Glasgow, and has two sons and one daughter.
* Mr David McGill LISTERwas born in May, 1866, at Milton, Otago, where he was educated, and was afterwards apprenticed to the bakery trade under Mr. Wood, of Dunedin. He then worked successively in Wellington, Masterton, Eketahuna, and Greytown as a journeyman, and subsequently purchased his present business. Mr. Lister was one of the founders of the local lodge of Freemasons, in which he holds the office of junior deacon; is a member and was for some time a steward of the racing club, and is a member of the school committee. He is married, and has two sons and two daughters.
The Martinborough Bakery (D. M. Lister, proprietor), Otaraia Road, Martinborough. This business was established in the year 1896 by Mr. CROOT, and was acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1900. The premises comprise a shop, refreshment rooms, and the bakehouse, and there is also boarding accommodation. The bakehouse, fitted with the latest appliances, has a capacity of 300 loaves per day. An extensive retail trade is conducted, and there is a large daily output of bread. The proprietor makes a specialty of catering for wedding parties, balls, and other functions.
Mr George Thomas BENNETT was born at Karori, Wellington, on February 28th, 1861. He is a Builder and Contractor, and Sash and Door Manufacturer, Martinborough. This business was established by the present proprietor in the year 1904, and is conducted in premises situated in Strathberg street, consisting of an up-to-date wood-work factory, with an office, furniture showroom, and workshop ... more
Mr William Oswald BENTON of the firm of Messrs. W. Benton and Son, was born in January, 1876, in Featherston, where, after leaving school, he was apprenticed to the building trade under his father. He afterwards found employment successively with Messrs. EDWARDS and PALMER, Messrs. J. and A. WILSON of Wellington, and with Mr. COLEMAN and Mr. H. JOHNS of New Plymouth ...more
Mr William AITCHISON Coach-builder, Wheelwright, and General Blacksmith, Otaraia Road, Martin-borough. Telephone No. 32. P.O. Box, 23. This business was established in the year 1882 by Mr. John HODGE, and was acquired by the present proprietor in the year 1902.
Mr. Aitchison was born at Blue Spur, near Lawrence, in September, 1866, and was educated and brought up to the black-smithing trade at Heriot. He then spent two years and a half as a journeyman in New South Wales and Victoria, and on his return to New Zealand spent eighteen months with his brother in Heriot, and then went to Clyde, Central Otago ... more
The Tawaha Dairy Factory Company Limited was founded in June, 1907, with Mr. E. R. McDONALD as chairman of directors, and Mr. John JOLLY as secretary. The factory, situated in the Tawaha district, some miles from Martinborough, is a wooden building, with an up-to-date cheese-making plant, and has twelve suppliers. Mr. A. M. A. WRIGHT is the manager
Mr Alec MacGREGOR proprietor of Glasgow House (Millinery and Drapery Establishment, Otaraia Road, Martinborough), was born in Glasgow, Scotland, in February, 1872. For three years and a half he conducted a successful business in Queen street, Masterton, and then removed to Martinborough, and established his present business
Mr Edwin James PLAYLE Tailor and Costumier, Otaraia Road, Martinborough. The premises consist of a large shop, a workroom, and fitting rooms. A large and well-selected stock of ladies' and gentlemen's tailoring materials is kept, and a specialty is made of ladies' riding habits. Mr. Playle was born in Norwich, Norfolk, England, in June, 1866 ... more
Mr Adam WRIGHT Hair-dresser and Tobacconist, Otaraia Road, Martinborough. The premises occupied by this business consist of a two-storeyed building, and contain a shop, a hair-dressing saloon, a billiard saloon, and a private residence. The hair-dressing saloon has two up-to-date chairs, and is well appointed. The billiard saloon, which is connected by sliding doors, with both the shop and hair-dressing departments, is one of the most complete in the district. It possesses a full-sized table, and is well furnished. The shop carries a large stock of tobaccos, pipes, and smokers' requisites, toilet and fancy goods, stationery, magazines, and newspapers, and is lighted throughout with acetylene gas. Mr. Wright was born in Belfast, Ireland, in January, 1868 ... more
The Martinborough Cycle and Motor Garage (J. JOLLY and D. BYRNE, proprietors), Otaraia Road, Martinborough. This business was established in the year 1902, and was acquired in 1906 by Mr. J. Jolly, who in the following year took Mr. D. Byrne into partnership. The firm also conduct a Labour Bureau, and are agents for the Dresden Piano Company and the South British Fire Insurance Company
Mr John JOLLY of the Martin-borough Cycle and Motor Garage, was born in Glasgow, Scotland, and came to New Zealand at eleven years of age ...more
Mr Dudley BYRNE of the Martinborough Cycle and Motor Garage, was born in Rakaia, New Zealand, in the year 1874, and was brought up to the motor and cycle trade. In 1900 he joined the Fifth Contingent at Auckland, and had two and a half years' active service in South Africa, where he rose from a trooper to the rank of captain ... more
Mr John William KERSHAW Managing Partner of Messrs. Pain and Kershaw, was born in Timaru, South Canterbury, in March, 1873, and was educated at Mt. Cook school, in Wellington. He afterwards found employment for a short time with Messrs. P. HAYMAN and Company, of Wellington, and then learned the grocery trade under Mr. W. BRISTOW .. more
Mr William CHAPMAN was born at Doyleston, Canterbury, in August, 1872, was educated at the Flaxton main school, and for some years followed farming pursuits, chiefly with Mr. Hay SMITH, of Kaiapoi Island. In the year 1896 he removed to the North Island, and for three years found employment as manager of Mr. McPHEE's traction plant in Carterton. In 1899 he entered into partnership with Mr. Thomas GREENWAY as traction engine proprietors, and on the dissolution of the firm, about twelve months later, he started his present business, Chapman, William, and Company, Traction Engine Proprietors and Heavy Haulage Contractors, Venice Street, Martinborough ... more
Mr Hugh MacKAY proprietor of the Royal Mail Stables, was born in Christchurch in April, 1862, and after leaving school removed to the North Island, where he had considerable commercial experience
Mr James Wilkie ORBELL was born at Moeraki, Otago, in December, 1860, and is the second son of the late Mr. Arthur Orbell, of Waikouaiti. After leaving school he found employment in general farm work, shearing, etc., and was engaged in both New Zealand and Australia, prior to establishing his present business, Forwarding Agent, General Carrier, Traction Engine Proprietor and Heavy Haulage Contractor, Martinborough ... more
Mr John McLeod ROSS the taxidermist and deer-stalker of Martinborough, is known all over the British Empire as one of the most expert taxidermists and most skilful stalkers in the Australasian Colonies. For many years he has made a close study of the nature and habits of the deer, and is regarded as a reliable authority on matters pertaining thereto. Mr. Ross was born in Caithness, Scotland,in April, 1857, and during his early years saw much of deer and the manner of their capture in the Highlands of Scotland. After leaving school he went out as a shepherd, and at the age of sixteen came to New Zealand