MASTERTON HOSPITAL, Wairarapa 1906
this article was written about 1906 ...
The Masterton Hospital, which is controlled by the Masterton Hospital Trustees, was first opened in 1877, in a small wooden building.
A new hospital, however, has since been built at a cost of £10,000 ($154,000 in 2011). It is an up-to-date brick building, standing on an area nine acres in extent, and has accommodation for twenty-four patients.
In the isolated quarters there are two wards, which will accommodate eight patients.
There are two medical superintendents, an honorary medical staff of eight, and the matron, Mrs. MORRISON, is assisted by ten nurses.
The trustees of the hospital are: Messrs.
J. B. KEITH (chairman),
J. C. EWINGTON,
M. J. H. JACKSON,
Frederick William Henry KUMMER,
J. J. MEAD, and
H. J. O'LEARY.
Mr. J. C. BODDINGTON has been secretary since 1898, and was formerly chairman for eighteen years.