George HERON - Mayor of MASTERTON, New Zealand - 1895
the following was taken from Borough of Masterton NZETC
His Worship the Mayor, Mr. George HERON, who occupies the civic chair for the third consecutive year, was born in 1840 in Forfarshire, Scotland, where he was educated. Arriving in Nelson in 1863 per ship Electra, he was for some time engaged in bush and general country work, and after a short period employed in road making in Wanganui, be settled in the Wairarapa in 1868. At the East Coast Mr. Heron was engaged in fencing and country work for five years, when he became a road contractor, and subsequently a threshing machine proprietor, establishing himself as a corn dealer in 1879 in Masterton. Entering the Council in 1880, he has been a member almost continuously up to the time of writing, although he has never been returned without a close contest. He is known as a man of decided opinions, and is looked upon as an economist who will see that the ratepayers are not unduly burdened. As a Forester he has been a member of the Masterton Lodge since its foundation in 1872, and has passed all the chairs. He has also served as a member of the school committee, and has long held a seat on the Hospital Board. In 1870 Mr. Heron was married to a daughter of the late Mr. Dr McKav. of Sutherlandshire, Scotland.