MATLACK / MATLOCK: William, born in Cromwell Bishop, England, immigrated to West New Jersey on the "KENT" in 1677
William probably born ca 1648 in Nottinghamshire County, immigrated with the first English settlers. He was a Quaker and came as a bound servant to Daniel WILLS, whom he served for four years as a carpenter. Daniel WILLS was one of the commissioners sent over by the Proprietors of the new colony to lay out the lands in New Jersey.
In Mar 1681/82, Wm married Mary HANCOCK, who came to New Jersey on the "Paradise" with her brother Timothy HANCOCK from Brayles at Warwickshire, England in 1681.
Wm bought a 100-acre tract in Chester Twp, Burlington, New Jersey in 1684 where he built his home. He and two others signed a contract with the Indian Chief TALLACA, promising "one match coat, one little runlet of rum and two bottles of rum" in exchange for defense against other Indians.
Wm served as Colony Constable, overseer of the highways, tax collector, and as a Grand Juryman. He owned 1000 acres of land near Waterford, Gloucester and Delaware townships. They were Quakers.
Mary died 11 mo. 20 1728; Wm died ca 1729 at age 91. They had 7 children (my reference).
1. John born ca 1682 in Chester, Burlington, NJ
2. George married Mary Foster and second, Mary Hancock
3. Mary married Jonathan Haines and second Daniel Morgan
4. William married Ann Antrim
5. Richard married Rebecca Haines and second Mary Cole.
6. Joseph married Rebecca Haines (a sister to Jonathan Haines
7. Timothy born 1695 married Mary Haines, second Martha Burr Haines (Mary, Martha and Richard's wife Rebecca were sisters.
8. Jane married [nfn] Irvin
9. Sarah married Carlisle Haines (brother to Rebecca Martha and Mary)
No other information. These surnames figure lightly in my tree. I'm posting them to help anyone.