<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya

by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2013-01-22 01:18:04

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by itellya on 2013-02-09 08:44:15

The Southern Peninsula News had a long article about Melbourne Brindle on page 12 of its 8-3-2011 edition. This can be found by googling: melbourne brindle, southern peninsula news. It was Fred Wild of Rye who discovered the remarkable achievements of this former Dromana State School pupil.

One thing that Melbourne hadn't mentioned in his memoirs was that his father had moved to the U.S.A. in 1914, so that means that the original road to the tower, which Arthur helped to build, according to the map, must have been constructed between 1904 and 1914. It wasn't Towerhill Rd, which was too steep for vehicles (like Burrell Rd,shown on the Dromana Township map, which was supposed to go up a virtual cliff to join the southbound section of Latrobe Parade.)

Colin McLear gave an indication on page 77 of A DREAMTIME OF DROMANA that the road was probably built between 1905 and 1907. After his father (George)died (in 1898), James Chapman first widened the bridle track to the (Seawinds)house. Later he made a road so that he could take visitors from the pleasure steamers and elsewhere to the tower. It was steep in places but was a trafficable road for horse-drawn vehicles.James Chapman and his wife rented (Seawinds) from his mother and lived there from 1905-1907. The road may have been built after 1907 but I think James would have been too busy establishing his guest house to be building a road at the same time.

Then they moved to Belmont on the highway and ran a guest house. James later assisted the determine the course of an improved road that was more suitable for motor traffic, supposedly in the 1930's.[/]

The road built by James,with Arthur Brindle's help,seemed to start at the same place as the present one. That means that James Chapman's road has been improved twice from the same commencing point unless Colin meant 1920's instead of 1930's.
I gained the impression that the tourist committee had financed the road to the tower inspired by Spencer Jackson and opened in 1929, with funds raised through events such as the Grand Ball of 1928. However, the truth might be that the tourist committee had to make a contribution to Spencer's road, a certain percentage of the State's allocation, that Spencer's road was designed and constructed by the roughly 15 year old C.R.B., and that Colin, a baby at the time, first noticed the road in the 1930's and was unaware of the exact time it was opened; his book contains newspaper articles about the fundraising in 1928 but not the opening, which was in late December,1929 (if my memory of Spencer's plaque on the summit is correct)so Colin was only a few days off being correct.

Melbourne shows on his map that Bryan's cutting near the town common/Gracefield boundary was the original walking track to the tower. The Town Common became a gravel reserve, gazetted in 1929 if I decipher my smudged Kangerong parish map correctly; this makes sense because the gravel was undoubtedly needed to construct Spencer Jackson's road. To prevent children falling into pits, it was probably fenced off, denying access to the tower.

Towerhill Rd divided section D and E of Dromana Township and pioneers such as George Henderson and Henry Everest Adams would have walked or ridden up it to get to their grants. If Bryan's cutting had been blocked off, Towerhill Rd would have been the logical alternative, especially once the chair lift opened near the west boundary of Section D. In spring the walk past Bill McKeown's orchard would have delighted the senses.

by itellya on 2013-02-09 08:55:18

You'd think that when I'm writing about Bill McKeown who used to have bee hives in the Gracefield orchard and supply honey to Barnes' Honey, I'd remember to finish the bold type by putting a small BEE after the right slash. Sorry about being so bold!
I'll try not to do it again.{/b] Ah, that's better!

by itellya on 2013-02-09 08:58:49

At least I didn't make the same mistake twice. I genuinely wasn't trying to be funny;I'm just a natural dill!

by itellya on 2015-04-14 01:17:52


See P.11, Southern Peninsula News, 14 April, 2015 (available online)
Digger's hat inspiration for illustrator's art.

Here's a part of a LOST comment that took two hours to write in reference to Fred Wild's discovery of Dromana's prodigy, Ewart's father leaving before the family followed, the place where the rest of the family lived after Sunnyside was sold,the promise to Mrs Jute(SIC) outside Walter Gibson's post office of 1878, the disgraceful complaint made against the councillor who loaned the painting to the Dromana RSL, the clever poster to encourage more than 85 million Americans to buy war bonds during W.W.2 etc.

**Ewart's father sold "Sunnyside" and left for America to establish himself before bringing his family over. Ewart's remarkable map of Dromana, drawn in 1947 after an absence of 29 years, and presented to "Ernie" Rudduck, his one time employer,to be shared with the people of Dromana, is a history in itself. In 1918, Gibson St went east only to Pier St and was known as "Lane'. On the south side of this corner was a house (on what is now part of the Dromana Hub car park) with the comment, "We stayed here after we sold Sunnyside." Another comment is, "Mrs Jute (whose husband was a prisoner in Germany) extracted promise from me to continue art career-just before leaving for America. This conversation occurred in the middle of the Esplanade outside the G.P.O. (which had been established by Walter Gibson by 1878, was about a third of the way from Pier St to Nelson Rudduck's Piawola, and was apparently run by Rose O'Connor) which indicates how quiet the main street was in 1918.

Ewart was probably walking from the pier after sketching a vessel or two. Maybe to start his shift in Ernie Rudduck's general store. His job there may have been a reward for saving Ernie's life when Ewart was about 12. *See the journal.)

The lady who extracted the promise was Mrs Clifford Tute whose dangerous trip to Europe in 1915 may have been to be nearer to her captured husband or to help the Belgians in their crisis. She was obviously back by 1918. It was possibly the only time that Ewart had met this lady, so after 29 years, he could be excused for calling her Mrs Jute.

A meeting of the Rosebud Patriotic Committee was held in the hall on 3rd February. Mrs D. Bucher, one of the vice-presidents, occupied the chair, and there was a good attendance of members. A letter was read from Mrs Clifford Tute resigning her position as President of the committee, owing to her approaching visit to Europe. Mrs Tute's resignation was accepted with regret, and Mrs D.Bucher was elected President in her place.(P.2, Mornington Standard, 20-2-1915.)

The Tute's were at the time probably on their 626 acres south of Waterfall Gully Rd and straddling Duells Rd, for which grants were issued in 1937.

It appears that Rose O'Connor was born Rose Keogh and was not the only postmistress in the family.

KEOGH. —On the 18th May, at her residence, the post-office, Cranbourne, Margaret, widow of the late Ignatius Keogh, loved mother of Kathleen Elsie, and Ignatius and sister of Mrs. Powell(Vauclause, Richmond), and of Mrs. O'Connor(Dromana). R.I.P. (Privately interred in the St Kilda Cemetery.)

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.