More town Info from MA and NH
Boscawen, New Hampshire was originally granted a charter in 1732 as Contoocook, after the river of the same name. In 1760, the town was incorporated as Boscawen, in honor of an English admiral, Edward Boscawen, who fought under General Amherst in the conquest of Canada. Admiral Boscawen was responsible for the capture of the fortress at Louisburg, Nova Scotia. The Contoocook Fort on the Merrimack, one of the first log forts constructed for protection against the Indians, was built here in 1739. In July 1997 the New Hampshire State Veterans Cemetery was established by legislature in Boscawen on 104 acres previously used as a state forest. Population, Year of the First Census Taken: 1,108 residents in 1790
Canterbury, New Hampshire was chartered 13 October 1727. Original settlers were James Gibson lot 14, Paul Gerish lot 9, Nathaniel Morrill lot 112 and John Shepard lot 143. Jeremiah Clough bought lots 68 & 69 in 1738. In 1736 when Jeremiah Clough Jr. was born, he was believed to be the first white child born in Canterbury, New Hampshire. In January of 1773 the citizens living in the southeasterly portion of Canterbury petitioned to be set off as a separate parish.
Chester, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1722. Chester once included Candia, set off in 1763, Auburn, Raymond, large parts of Hooksett and Manchester. First called "the chestnut country", it may have been the first of the settlement grants by Massachusetts selected for expansion of growing populations in the seacoast. The name may be derived from Cheshire, Chester being the county seat of Cheshire in England.
Danville, New Hampshire was incorporated in 22 February 1760 as Hawke was a part of Kingston, New Hampshire. The name was changed in 1836 to Danville.
Epping, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1741. This was one of the last towns chartered by Massachusetts Governor Jonathan Belcher prior to the establishment of New Hampshire as an independent province. Epping, once a parish of Exeter, was incorporated as a separate town in 1741. It was probably named for Epping Forest, a suburb of London used by royalty for deer hunting, which was likely familiar to Governor Belcher. Epping was the home of three of New Hampshire's governors: William Plumer (1759-1850), David Morrill (1772-1849), and Benjamin Franklin Prescott (1833-1895).
Epsom, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1727. Epsom was one of seven towns chartered by Massachusetts’s authorities in 1727 long before New Hampshire became an independent province, when John Wentworth was Lieutenant Governor of Massachusetts. The name most likely came from Epsom, England, home of the Earl of Derby, who had established horse racing stables there at about the same time the town was chartered. Epsom Downs became famous for its Derby horse race. England's Epsom was also known for the curative value of its mineral springs, the source of Epsom salts
Exter, New Hampshire was settled in the spring of 1638 by persons banished, for their religious beliefs, from Boston and the Massachusetts Bay Colony
Fort Edward, New York was still wilderness in 1700, prior to the construction of any forts, the area was known by the old Indian name of Wahcoloosencoochaleva or the "Great Carrying Place". At this point on the Hudson River with rapids and falls, further travel by water to the north was not possible. The Indians would leave the Hudson at Bond Creek carrying their canoes overland to the headwaters of Lake Champlain. War played an important part in the early development of this area.
Sir Francis Nicholson was sent here during Queen Anne's War to erect a stockade and build a road to Fort Ann in 1709. This fortification became know as Fort Nicholson only to be abandoned shortly thereafter.
In 1731, John Henry Lydius, a Dutchman from Albany, erected a fur trading post here known as Lydius House or Fort Lydius. This was Fort Edward's first documented structure. A sketch of this house was included in a survey made by a Frenchman named Anger in 1732.
Again, war caused the construction of another fort under the direction of Phinehas Lyman during the French and Indian War. Sir William Johnson changed the name of the fort from Fort Lyman to Fort Edward on September 21, 1755. It was named in honor of Edward, the Duke of York and Albany, grandson of George II and brother of George III. At this time a large military hospital complex was constructed on the island, presently known as Rogers Island.
Franklin, Massachusetts was first settled by Europeans in 1660 and was officially incorporated in 1778. The Town is also home to the birth place of America's father of public education, Horace Mann. Franklin is home to what may be the nation's oldest continuously operational one-room school house (Croydon, New Hampshire's school dates to 1780, but there is debate as to whether it is truly "one room"). The Red Brick School was started in 1792 and the building was constructed in 1833 and was operational until 2008.
Franklin, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1828 and situated at the junction of the Pemigewasset and Winnipesaukee Rivers, where they meet to form the Merrimack River. This territory was originally known as Pemigewasset Village. Franklin was created from portions of Salisbury, Andover, Sanbornton, and Northfield, and named in honor of Benjamin Franklin. Franklin is the location of Daniel Webster's birthplace, which was in the portion of Salisbury taken to establish the town. Franklin was incorporated as a city in 1895. Franklin was known for a machine-made hosiery mill that used a process developed by the Shakers.
Gilmanton New Hampshire was chartered in 1727, but the first year round occupation was not until 1761-63.
Hope this helps someone