MOUNT FRASER AT BEVERIDGE, VIC., AUST., WAS NAMED AFTER THE PIONEERING FRASER FAMILY.
This journal was prompted by my post on the CRAIGIEBURN HISTORICAL INTEREST GROUP'S Facebook page. Mount Fraser is indeed a spectacular monument to the Fraser family.
MOUNT FRASER, BEVERIDGE. Mount Fraser near Beveridge is heritage-listed, probably because Hume and Hovell are claimed to have first seen Port Phillip Bay in 1824. Many sources state that Mount Fraser was originally known as Big Hill and there are countless websites that describe its volcanic origin and it being the source of most of the scouria supplied to Melbourne. Was Mount Fraser named after a pioneer or just some big-wig? No website has stated why and when Big Hill was renamed.
THE Friends of the late JOHN FRASER, Esq , are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of Interment, Campbellfield* Cemetery. The funeral to leave his late residence, Mount Fraser, Beveridge, THIS DAY, Saturday, at 11 o'clock a m, arriving at Campbellfield, about 2 o'clock p.m. JOHN DALLY, undertaker, Latrobe and Spring streets, Melbourne. (P.8, Argus, 23-2-1867.)
(* Two cemeteries were referred to as the Campbellfield cemetery, the Will Will Rook Cemetery at Melway 7 B9 and the one at the historic Scots Church at 7 F6. John Fraser and several family members were buried at the latter. The following website shows not only the gravestone but also a map showing its location.
Scots Church Burial Ground Campbellfield - Australian Cemeteries
A trove search indicates that Mount Fraser was first mentioned in early March 1853 when two of Alexander Fraser's horses were reported as having been stolen and the first mention of John Fraser in connection with the property was in October, 1854. John Fraser seems to have been on "Mount Fraser" by 1946 when his son Lachlan died (according to the gravestone.) The burial ground at Scots Church was established in 1844 so it is entirely possible that Lachlan was buried there in 1846. Alexander Fraser (on Mount Fraser in 1853) might have been near the Darebin Creek at that time. (Fraser Alexander: farmer·: Gallic Hill: Darabin Creek: source: 1847E - RootsWeb - Ancestry.com
" Scots Church Campbellfield is found on the eastern side of the Hume Highway on the northern outskirts of Melbourne at 1702 Sydney Road, Campbellfield, Victoria. The church opened in 1842, was on 5 acres, and was a gift from Mr Neil Campbell of the Campbellfield Estate and formally from the Isle of Mull. The burial ground in the churchyard was established in 1844 during the time of the first Presbyterian minister, the Rev Thomas Mowbray." (http://www.australiancemeteries.com.au/vic/hume/scots.htm)
The trove search revealed that Mount Fraser presented a challenge to those daring young men in their flying horseless carriages in the 1920's. Also, an Australian gliding record was set there in 1942. http://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/50154117?searchTerm=%22mount%20fraser%22&searchLimits=
Isn't it nice that one of Beveridge's main landmarks is named after a pioneering family's farm.
Alexander Fraser, whose horses disappeared from "Mount Fraser" in 1853 was John Fraser's eldest son.
FRASER.—On the 1st inst., Alexander, eldest son of the late John Fraser, of Mount Fraser, Beveridge.
THE Friends of the late Mr ALEXANDER FRASER, of Mount Fraser, Beveridge, are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of interment in the Campbellfield Cemetery.
The funeral will leave from No. 83 Collins-street east, Melbourne, THIS DAY (Thursday, the 3rd inst.), at 12 noon, arriving at Campbellfield at 2 o'clock. (Both P.1, Argus, 3-8-1882.)
Does the following provide a clue to the maiden name of John Fraser's wife?
On the 14th inst., Mr. Alexander Fletcher, eldest son of the late Angus Fletcher, Esq., Aros, Island of
Mull, Scotland, and nephew to John Fraser, Esq., of Mount Fraser, Victoria.(P.4, Argus, 19-1-1858.)
FRASER.—On the 10th inst., at her residence, Gnarwarre, Park-street east, Moonee Ponds, Annie, the beloved youngest daughter of the late John Fraser, of Mount Fraser, Beveridge.
FRASER,--The Funeral of the late Miss ANNIE FRASER, youngest daughter of the late John Fraser (of Mount Fraser, Beveridge), will leave her late residence, Gnarwarre, Park-Street east, Moonee Ponds, for the Campbellfield Cemetery, THIS DAY, Friday,11th inst. at 11 o'clock.(Both P.1, Argus, 11-10-1895.)
FRASER.—On the 20th ult., at his residence, Mount Fraser, Mr. John Fraser, late of Argyleshire,Scotland, aged 77 years.
FRASER.—On the 20th ult., at his residence, Mount Fraser, Mr. John Fraser, late of Argyleshire, Scotland, aged seventy-seven, years. Much and deeply regretted by a numerous circle of friends, being one of the oldest and most respected colonists.(P.27, The Australasian, 2-3-1867.)
FRASER.—On the 27th inst., at her residence, Mount Fraser, Beveridge, Catherine Fraser, relict of the late John Fraser, aged 74 years.(P.1, Argus, 29-12-1877.)
THE Friends of the late Mr. HECTOR FRASER, youngest son of the late John Fraser, of Mount Fraser, are respectfully invited to follow his remains to the place of interment, in the Cambellfield Churchyard.
The funeral will leave his late residence, Willow-cottage, Moonee-street, Ascotvale, THIS DAY (Monday, 8th inst.) P.1, Argus, 8-12-1890.
It would appear that the family's farming came to a halt not long after Alexander's death, a clearing sale being advertised in 1882. (Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 - 1918) Saturday 19 August 1882 p 15 Advertising)
The farm seems to have originally comprised 359 acres.
SPLENDID GRAZING PROPERTY To LET at BEVERIDGE 359 ACRES FIRST-CLASS LAND.
TENDERS will be received by the undermentioned, up to 25th April. 1889, for LEASE for five years of 359 Acres of splendid LAND, at Beveridge adjoining the railway station, known as the Red Barn and Mount Fraser, all securely fenced, and well watered by never-failing springs and dam. (P.6, The Australasian, 13-4-1889.)
SATURDAY,. 30th NOVEMBER.
About Half-past 4 o'Clock (after arrival of 2.40 p.m. train from Melbourne).
"Mount Fraser," Beveridge and Growing Crop.
GEORGE HOWAT has received instructions from Mr. Stanly Lyon to sell. by auction, (through his auctioneer) on the property,Saturday, 30th November; about 4.30 p.m., after arrival of 2.40 p.m. train from. Melbourne, that excellent farm known as MOUNT FRASER, Almost adjoining the Beveridge railway,station, and .within 26 miles of Melbourne, comprising 203 acres 1 rood 27 perches of rich volcanic Chocolate soil; with splendid
growing crop of 125 acres oats and 25 acres barley. Comfortable bluestone dwellings, substantial outbuildings and fencing, part newly erected, subdivided, - permanently watered.(etc.) P.2, Leader, 23-11-1912.)
TUESDAY, JANUARY 17th, 1950 At 3.30 p.m. SCOTT'S HOTEL, MELBOURNE On Account - Charles . Smith, Esq. Public Auction , Well-Known Freehold
MOUNT FRASER ESTATE
204 Acres, Beveridge
Highly Improved Farm. Situated on the Southern Slope of Mt. Fraser, 24 Miles from Melbourne, half Mile Beveridge R.S., P.O.. School and Shopping Centre, on the Hume Highway, and Part in Town Boundary. 204 Acres — Rich Volcanic Soil (No Waste Land). Subdivided Into Several Conveniently Sized Paddocks.40 Acres In Town Boundary Have Been Surveyed Into half acre Blocks. At Present This Paddock is Under Barley. In Addition There are About 70 Acres Oats. Watered by Bore and Windmill, with Troughing Attachments Providing Abundant Supply Suitable for Plant Life. The Property Would Make- An Excellent Stud Farm.
Dwelling of Bluestone with Timber Annexe, 7 Rooms In Excellent Order, and Good Outbuildings. Nice Garden and Orchard, with an Attractive Drive of Red Gum Trees from the Gate. Possession March 1. 1950 (After Harvest).
(P.8, Weekly Times, 11-1-1950.)
on 2016-08-24 22:02:05
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.