My Ancestors: Galfre
I normally post at my blog, http://freya-newenglandgenealogy.blogspot.com, but I will begin posting here as well. I won't go back and repost everything here, so I'm just moving forward from this point. :)
This posting will be quite short and more detailed than the others, as we don't know much about our Galfre ancestors, except that they come from Italy. Fortunately, we are in contact with our cousins in Italy! One of my aunts and cousins from the U.S. visited with them this year, and many of us have connected on Facebook. It is wonderful that the internet can bring us together.
Without further ado, my maternal ancestry, which places me in Haplogroup H1 based on DNA testing I had done a few years ago.
1. Lia Galfre (aka Leah Elizabeth, b. 1903, Middleboro, MA, d. 1991, Brockton, MA)
2. Bartolomeo Giovanni Michele Galfre (b. 1869, San Benigno, Torino, Piedmont, Italy, d. 1952, Lakeville, MA)
3. Ernesta Maddalena Bergamasco (b. 1874, Moneglia, Genoa, Liguria, Italy, d. 1925, Middleboro, MA)
Ernesta is very interesting to me because, besides being a direct maternal ancestor, she supposedly had an uncle who was a bishop. I have not found any bishops named Bergamasco, so he was either her maternal uncle, or a great-uncle (but still not a Bergamasco). It would be fascinating to find out which bishop she was related to, if any.
4. Michele Galfre (b. 1836, Spinetta, Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy, d. ?)
5. Francesca Manassero (b. 1839, Spinetta, Alessandria, Piedmont, Italy, d. ?)
6. Giuseppe Bergamasco
7. Giabatta (that may not be the correct name for Ernesta's mother; that is as close as we can get based on family documents, such as Ernesta's passport, which was shared in a previous post).
8. Giovanni Battista Bartolomeo Galfre (he may have come from France)
9. Teressa Dematteis
10. Giovanni Manassero
11. Teresa Cavallo
12. No other information on Ernesta's ancestors