<< Previous - Next >>

NH and MA towns

Journal by gibsonknox

Hampstead, New Hampshire was originally a part of Amesbury and Haverhill, Massachusetts. It was first settled in 1728 and was incorporated by New Hampshire in January 1749.

Hampton, New Hampshire originally included Hampton Falls, North Hampton, Kensington and Seabrook settlements. It was originally a part of Massachusetts and was settled as a town in June 1639.

Haverhill, Massachusetts (see Atkinson, New Hampshire)

Hawke, New Hampshire was originally a parish of Kingston. It was chartered in 1760 as Hawke, after Admiral Sir Edward Hawke. The town was renamed to Danville in 1836 after early settlers, at least three of whom had been named Daniel.

Kingston, New Hampshire incorporated on 6 August 1694 once included East Kingston, Danville, Sandown and part of Hampstead. The First Church was organized 29 September 1725

Loundon, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1773 and was named for John Campbell, 4th Earl of Loudoun.

Lyme, New Hampshire was granted a charter 8 July 1761, but settlement did not begin until May 1764, by emigrants from Connecticut.

Roxbury, Massachusetts was first settled in 1630. It was located midway between Dorchester and Boston, Massachusetts. Roxbury, Massachusetts included West Roxbury, Jamaica Plain and Part of Brookline and is now part of Boston, Massachusetts. It was eight miles long from east to west and two miles wide from north to south.

Rye, New Hampshire was incorporated in 1726 and was the site of the first settlement in New Hampshire, established by David Thompson in 1623 at Odiorne's Point, which he called Pannaway.

This township was originally part of Portsmouth called Sandy Beach, and it was incorporated as a parish of New Castle in 1693 when that town separated from Portsmouth. In 1726 it was separated from New Castle, and incorporated as Rye, after the borough of Rye, a flourishing English Channel town. Rye's eight-mile length of coastline is dotted with old names such as Wallis Sands, Jenness Beach, Locke's Neck, Ragged Neck, Rye Harbor, and Odiorne Point.

In 1876, the thriving village of Gosport on Star Island in the Isles of Shoals was annexed to the town. Rye is the only New Hampshire town with Atlantic islands, having annexed four of the Isles of Shoals; the remaining five islands belong to Maine.

Surnames: MORRILL
Viewed: 482 times
by gibsonknox Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-04-08 01:58:00

Kate

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:

Comments

by itellya on 2011-04-26 09:53:11

The Peck family was one of the first to settle in the area near Lebanon, N.H. on the Mascoma River. John Murray Peck emigrated to Victoria, Australia shortly after its gold rush started and with Freeman Cobb and two other young Americans started the famous Cobb and Co stage coach company.After the company was sold, Peck became a famed livestock auctioneer. Peck named his house on Flemington Hill near Melbourne "Mascoma" and a later house,built in 1882 and still standing in Strathmore, "Lebanon".

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.