Opening of Denbigh Hotel, FEILDING 1876
OPENING OF ROE'S DENBIGH HOTEL, Feilding - 12 May 1876
On the last Court day held at Palmerston North a license was granted to our friend Mr G. F. Roe (1859-1944, son of Charles Roe & Cecilia Sarah Carter) for his magnificent Hotel, the Denbigh, at Feilding. The hotel presents an imposing elevation, having a noble balcony over the verandah on the hall-door side towards Manchester Street, and a grand facade on the side facing Fergusson Street. One great improvement effected by Mr Roe in hotel architecture is, that the bar is entirely separate from the hotel proper, so that the guests are free from the usual noise attendant on such places of resort. The Commercial and smoking rooms are large in area, lofty, and well ventilated, the lower story being 12 feet in height. The private sitting-rooms are good, the dining sitting-rooms are good, the dining saloon quite a banqueting hall, and the bar is one of the best fitted we have seen for some time. The bed-chambers are very numerous, well ventilated, and furnished in the best style. The entrance hall and that leading to the staircase are what we would wish to see imitated, eight feet in width. The building was designed by Mr G. F. Roe, and erected under his immediate superintendence.
The Denbigh Hotel was opened on the evening of Friday, the 12th instant, with a ball and supper, at which the elite of Feilding were present, and enjoyed themselves to their heart's content until daybreak on Saturday warned the gentlemen that the stern business of life was about to be resumed. Not content with the ball alone, Mr Roe again invited his gentlemen friends to a dinner on the evening of Wednesday, 24th May, to which a numerous company responded and certainly it was worthy of the Denbigh.
Mr A. F. Halcombe presided, having Mr G. F. Roe on his right and Dr Johnston on his left hand.
After the cloth had been removed the Chairman gave "The Queen," which was, as usual, loyally received. Mr McArthur, the V.C., proposed "The Prince of Wales and the rest of the Royal Family" which was duly honored. Mr Gillett then sung "The Fine Ould Irish Gentleman."
Mr Maysmore gave "The Health of His Excellency the Governor," which toast was well received with musical honors.
* Song by T. Slade, "The Village Blacksmith."
Mr E. H. Wright, C.E., proposed "The land we live in."
* Song by Mr Corrigan of the Wanganui Herald, "Lannigan's Ball."
Mr Halcombe on rising said he was happy to again ask for bumpers in which to drink the health of his worthy friend Mr Roe and success to the Denbigh Hotel, as he could assure the company that under the proprietorship of Mr Roe the Hotel in which then were enjoying themselves so happily, would be conducted in such a manner that it would be a Hotel in reality and not what he regretted to say many hotels in this Colony were mere grog shops. Of Mr Roe, he could not speak in too flattering a manner, the more so as he was the first man who had assisted him in the Feilding settlement. Mr Roe place his workmen and materials on the ground and built the first houses occupied by the immigrants in Feilding; and prior to that , he had erected the spacious depot at Palmerston. He then erected the late Accommodation house, which had been a great boon to the public, and he (Mr Halcombe) regretted that the Denbigh Hotel was not built in the first instance. Mr Roe also built one of the first shops in Feilding, which he carried on for eighteen months. The toast was drunk with "He's a joy good fellow."
* Song by Messrs Slade and Lockwood "The Starboard Watch."
Mr G. F. Roe then rose and said: My Halcombe and gentlemen, let me offer you my best thanks, first for the honor you have done me in coming here this evening, and next for the warm manner in which you have received my health. It is the more gratifying to my feelings, after the many difficulties I have had to overcome before the Denbigh Hotel was opened. Now, however, that it has passed your scrutiny, I take your cheers as your approval. Nothing remains for me, or my brother, who is to be my successor, but by strict attention to the wants of our guests to merit a continuation of their patronage.
* Song by Harold Pearce, "The Watch on the Rhine."
"The Ladies" was proposed by Mr Wade in an appropriate speech.
* Song by Mr Lindsay Caldwell, "The Minute Gun at Sea."
"The Press" was next proposed by the Chairman, to which Mr E. H. Wright, of the Wanganui Herald, responded, and returned thanks on the part of Mr Corrigan and himself.
* Song by Mr Wright, "Are we fairly represented."
* Song by Mr Lash, "Old Simon the Cellerer."
Mr Gillett favored the company with a recitation from the play of Julius Caesar, which called forth loud applause. Mr McArthur and Dr Johnson sang some Scotch sons, and the company separated at midnight, after a very delightful evening
SHORT TIMELINE of the DENBIGH
(main purpose is to list owners / proprietors)
Feilding Star, 1 June 1886 - LICENSE TRANSFER
A transfer was granted from Chas. Roe to W. Watts, of the Denbigh hotel
Wanganui Herald, 4 June 1886 - NEW OWNER
The Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, has changed hands, Mr William Light, the well-known publican, of Wellington, being the purchaser. Mr Henry Axup was valuator for the new proprietor and Mr Anderson represented Mr W. T. Watts, the present occupant
Feilding Star, 4 Dec 1886 - Mr WATTS
The transfer of the license of the Manawatu Gorge Hotel was granted from Mr Lowes to Mr W. T. Watts, late of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Feilding Star, 4 June 1887 - LICENSE RENEWAL
A new license was granted to Mr Light of the Denbigh Hotel
Feilding Star, 4 June 1889 - LICENSE RENEWAL
William Light, Denbigh Hotel, Mr Sandilands, solicitor, applied for renewal - Granted
Feilding Star, 10 Dec 1891 - BEST IN THE COLONY
The Denbigh Hotel is one of the best conducted in the colony, and the reputation of the popular proprietor, Mr William Light, as a host is so well known that no comment on that point is needed. As a buyer of wine Mr light excels, there being few better judges in the colony, therefore whatever he vends is sure to be the best in the market. In our advertising columns Mr Light invites his old friends, whether as visitors from other parts or local residents, to come and see him during the Christmas holidays to exchange Christmas greetings
Manawatu Herald, 18 April 1893 - STRANGE LAWS
To all persons engaged in the selling of spirituous liquor we call attention to the case heard before Mr Brabant of Thursday. The facts are simply these. In January the Foxton Racing Club sold the right to sell spirituous liquors in the Grand Stand Booth for their meeting on the 23rd of January to Mr Light, hotel keeper of Feilding. Mr Light permitted Mr Joseph Smith to act as his representative, though it appears he was on the ground himself. On the Grand Stand the bar is at the back of the building and displayed along it was the legend, in very large letter "Denligh hotel" and in small letters over the above "W. Light." That was all that was on the banner that had floated for many a year over booths on race-courses/ By evidence it will be seen that the name "W. Light" was not conspicuous owing to its having been doubled up in the fixing. The complaint urged against Mr Light fixed on his (temporary) premises with the addition after the name of the word "licensed" and of words sufficient to express the business for which his license has been granted. As it was evident that these words were wanting his Worship fined Mr Light five shilling and cost, though the maximum fine for a first offence is £5.
It was not made clear in Court why the action was taken and we do not care to seek why accepting that it was done in the exercise of duty. As the law stand, it appears to be lawful for any publican to practically lend his license to another person to trade with, provided he is prepared to accept all the commissions and omissions of his representative. Whether it is quite fair to the local publicans is another matter. To all who run booths at racecourses and elsewhere we earnestly recommend a study of clause 123 of The Licensing Act 1881 and to be quite sure that the name of the owner is in letters of sufficient size and that the sign contains the word "licensed" as well as words sufficient to express the business for which his license has been granted and that such sign is place on the front of the building in which such business is carried on
Feilding Star, 6 June 1894 - LICENSE RENEWAL
All the applications, which were for renewals or transfers for old houses, were granted, namely:
W. A. Floyd, Royal Hotel, Ohingaiti
P. McIlroy, Pelberton Hotel, Rangiwahia
J. Curran, Club Hotel, Ohingaiti
D. Sullivan, Hunterville Hotel, Hunterville
W. Meehan, Commercial Hotel, Ohingaiti
T. Lowes, Family and Commercial Hotel, Birmingham
T. Ryan, Cheltenham Hotel, Cheltenham
J. Mitchell, Argyle Hotel, Hunterville
Mrs Mary Tuck, Halcombe Hotel
Wm Light, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Mrs Martha Hastie, Feilding Hotel
H. Bastings, Manchester Hotel, Feilding
Mrs Maria Oliver, Empire Hotel, Feilding
J. Coyle, Clifton Hotel, Bulls
J. O'Halloran, Rangitikei Hotel, Bulls
S. Gibbons, White Hart Hotel, Marton
J. Mayo, Club Hotel, Bulls
R. Hunt, Marton Hotel
E. South, Railway Hotel, Marton
Feilding Star, 23 Nov 1894 - NEW ROOM
Mr Light of the Denbigh Hotel, has just had erected by Mr Fred Pope, the well-known builder, a large and commodious sample room, well supplied with suitable shelving and other necessary appurtenances. The building is 30ft 10in x 19ft and has been completed in a thoroughly workmanlike manner
Feilding Star, 11 June 1896 - LICENSE RENEWAL
Mr W. Light, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, Mr Cathro for applicant - application granted
Feilding Star, 3 June 1897 - LICENSE RENEWAL
Wm. Light applied for a renewal of license for the Denbigh Hotel, Fielding. Mr Sandilands for applicant - granted
Feilding Star, 11 Feb 1899 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr W. T. Hook took possession of the Denbigh Hotel yesterday. Mr W. Evensen (of Cheltenham) acted as valuator of the stock and furniture on behalf of Mr Light and Mr J. R. Montague acted in a similar capacity for Mr Hook
Feilding Star, 6 June 1899 - Mr HOOK
In our advertising columns to-day Mr W. T. Hook, who recently took over the popular Denbigh Hotel, notifies that he is determined to maintain the reputation of that well-known commercial hostelry. First-class accommodation with the necessary facilities for comfort is provided, while the wines, ales and spirits kept in stock are of the choicest brands
Feilding Star, 17 July 1899 - NEW SAMPLE ROOM
Mr W. Hook, of the Denbigh Hotel invites tenders for the erection of sample rooms
Feilding Star, 1 Aug 1899 - NEW DRINK
Beef tea may be obtained at the Denbigh Hotel at hours advertised in wanted column
Feilding Star, 18 Jan 1900 - Mr LIGHT
Mr William Light, formerly of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, has taken the Provincial Hotel, Wanganui
Manawatu Standard, 3 Aug 1900 - STABLES
Tenders are invited by the architect, Mr L. G. West, for alterations and additions to the stables at the Denbigh Hotel
Feilding Star, 22 July 1901OBITUARY of CHARLES ROE
Feilding Star, 27 March 1902 - SEPTIC TANK
Mr Hook, of the Denbigh Hotel, has put an up to date septic tank in the rear of his premises
Feilding Star, 10 April 1902 - NEW PROPRIETOR
The proprietor of the Denbigh Hotel, Mr Hook, has leased the property to Mr P. Meehan, formerly of Wanganui, Ohingaiti and Bulls, for a term of years. Mr Meehan has an excellent record and will make an able successor to Mr Hook. Mr Meehan will take [possession on May 8th
Wanganui Herald, 18 Dec 1902 - IN COURT
The case in which William T. Hood sued William Meehan, to compel him to complete his purchase of the Denbigh Hotel, Marton, was mentioned before the Chief Justice at Wellington on Tuesday. After a short adjournment, it was intimated that the case had been settled on defendant paying certain damages which had been agreed upon
Feilding Star, 24 Oct 1903 - SENSATIONAL ARREST
Yesterday Constable Whitehouse and Lyons arrested, on a charge of robbery, a young man named Leslie Rolfe, a native of Sydney, about 23 years of age, who has been employed for the past two years as porter at Mr Hook's Denbigh Hotel. The police have in their possession a miscellaneous assortment of jewellery, silk ties, tobacco, clothing, etc., to the value of £20. Constable Whitehouse on making an examination of the accused's bedroom, discovered an iron trunk, which contained a number of the articles mentioned. He afterwards found a box, which was planted behind a wood heap in the yard of the Denbigh Hotel. Judging from the description of some of the articles, it would appear that the robbery is closely connected with the disappearance of a traveller's samples from Hastie's Sample Rooms, which took place on the night of Oct the 12th or early in the morning of the 14th. Mr Steele, Mr Carthew and Mr Young arrived by the 5:45 train last evening and identified various articles as having been abstracted from their samples
Feilding Star, 9 June 1904 - LICENSE RENEWAL
W. T. Hook, Denbigh Hotel, renewal granted
Wanganui Herald, 1 Sep 1904 - HOTEL DESTROYED
Hook's Denbigh Hotel and sample rooms were totally destroyed by fire at 2 o'clock this morning, the occupants barely escaping. The hotel contained 33 rooms and was built of wood. In less than three-quarters of an hour, the hotel and sample rooms ere reduced to ashes.
The Bank of New Zealand building on the opposite corner was for some time in danger, but the collapse of the hotel saved it. The insurances on the hotel and sample rooms are:- £775 on the stock, and £500 on the furniture in the Phoenix; on the building £875 (2017 equivalent of $153,451) in the London, Liverpool and Globe and on the stock and furniture £350 in the Commercial Union ...
The fire at the Denbigh Hotel was discovered a few minutes before two o'clock this morning by Constable Whitehouse, who had visited the locality half an hour previously but there was then no sign of an outbreak. The Constable, when interviewed, said the fire started in the kitchen, the door of which was locked. When the fire was discovered, flames were bursting through the window. In his opinion, the outbreak was purely accidental.
The hotel was erected about 29 years ago for Mr Chas. Roe
On the alarm being given, Mr Hook, owner and licensee, called up the occupants of the hotel and proceeded to the scene of the outbreak. Mr Hook says he found the fire broke out near the store-room. The flames spread so quickly that he was unable to return to his room for his clothes, and he had to escape in his night attire. In his opinion the fire was the work of an incendiary. Mr Hook estimates his loss at fully £3,000 ($526,121 in 2017)above the insurance.
It is stated that Mr Hook intends to erect a substantial, up-to-date hotel in brick on the site of the building destroyed. The Fire Police and Fire Brigade justified their existence by the good work which they did in the protection of property and in preventing the spread of the fire ...
About an hour prior to the fire at the Denbigh Hotel an outbreak was discovered in a loosebox at Marston's stables attached to the Feilding Hotel. Some straw had been heaped up under a feed box and lighted and the door, which was off the hinges, placed against the doorway to hide the flames until they had obtained a firm hold. Fortunately one of the attendants at the stables who was on duty very late owing to the Feilding Bowling Club's ball being in progress at the Assembly rooms adjoining, saw the fire and extinguished it before much damage was done. There were racehorses in the adjoining loose-boxes so that had the stables been destroyed valuable horseflesh would probably have been lost.
Sergt. Stagpoole received a telegram to-day stating that a man named John Robinson had been arrested on suspicion of having set fire to the stables
Manawatu Times, 16 Dec 1904 - NEW HOTEL
Mr W. Wilkinson, the successful tenderer for the new two-storeyed Denbigh Hotel, Feilding (£6440 worth) commenced operations yesterday. The building will be completed in six months
Manawatu Standard, 13 May 1905 - ELECTRIC LIGHT
Mr B. F. Graham, of Palmerston North, has secured the contract fo installing electric light in the new Denbigh Hotel at Feilding. Mr Hook has decided to instal a Hornsby-Akroyd oil engine for the electric lighting purposes, Messrs Reid and Gray are the sole New Zealand agents for this engine
Feilding Star, 22 July 1905 - DESTRUCTION
Some person or persons of a destructive turn of mind have disfigured the paper in nearly 50 bedrooms of the new Denbigh Hotel, thus spoiling the work
Feilding Star, 14 Aug 1905 - NEARLY THERE
The contractor, Mr W. Wilkinson, has now nearly completed the new Denbigh Hotel, which is being erected for Mr Hook. A considerable quantity of furniture has also arrived and is being put in position. The installation of the electric light plant is also well under way. The opening of the new hotel, which takes place next month, will probably relieve the congestion of the other hotels, which at the present time are taxed to the utmost for the accommodation of the general public and trabellers
Feilding Star, 10 June 1909 - LICENSE RENEWAL
W. T. Hook, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Manawatu Times, 27 Sep 1909 - NEW DYNAMO
Mr W. T. Hook, whose Denbigh Hotel is lit throughout with electric light, is having installed a new direct circuit compound dynamo of 160 ampheres-capable of registering 100 volts
Manawatu Standard, 22 Jan 1910 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr W. TL Hook, proprietor of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, who has held the freehold of, and conducted the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, for some years, has disposed of his hotel to Mr A. J. Hurn, late of the Grand Hotel, Wellington and Taihape
Feilding Star, 23 Feb 1911 - FEILDING COURT
Mr A. D. Thomson, S.M., was occupied for two days at the last sitting of the Court in Feilding hearing a counter claim made by William Thomas Hook against Charles Natusche for £80 for alleged faulty supervision in the construction of the Denbigh Hotel building ... (more at above link)
Feilding Star, 8 June 1911 - LICENSE RENEWAL
A. J. Hurn, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
Wanganui Chronicle, 28 Sep 1914 - GOOD IDEA
Mr Hurn, of the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding, has hit upon a good scheme for helping Belgian families who will be sufferers by the war. He has organised a series of rabbit drives for the purpose of securing a thousand rabbits. These will be frozen free of charge at the Feilding bacon factory and sent on to their destination through the Wellington Central Committee. The drives will be per motor cars and any owners of such cars who are prepared to carry shootists for the drives should communicate with Mr J. R. Perry
Feilding Star, 9 Aug 1917 - FURTHER CHARGES
ANTI-SHOUTING. Yesterday afternoon the Magistrate Mr G. W. K. Kenrick, S.M. continued the hearing of charges against local hotel employees for allowing breaches of the anti-shouting regulations. The charge against McLelland, barman at the Denbigh Hotel, was concluded. The Magisrtate said he was not satisfied the evidence of the police was strong enough for a conviction and the charge was dismissed ... Mary Anne Falconer, wife of the licensee was charged on two counts with permitting shouting
Feilding Star, 16 Sep 1919 - DEATH OF CAPTAIN FALCONER
Captain John Falconer, who death at Feilding was reported on Saturday had been, for the last dew years, the lessee of the Denbigh Hotel at Feilding
Feilding Star, 2 Oct 1919 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr Harry R. Wallace, who takes over the Denbigh Hotel to-day from the trustees of the late Captain Falconer, is an Anzac. A native of Christchurch - where his father was one of Canterbury's oldest licensed victuallers and his brother is a licensee - he was in the N.S.W. Civil, went to Egypt with the Main Body of Service when the war broke out. He was with the A.I.F. (1st Battalion of the 1st Brigade) and took part in the landing and subsequent fighting on Gallipoli. He was wounded shortly afterwards, but quickly returned, winning a stripe as corporal and was on the Peninsula until the evacuation when he went with the Australians to France and saw much fighting there. Corporal Wallace was in the fight on Lone Pine Ridge when his comrade, the late Captain Shout (another New Zealander) won his Victoria Cross
Wanganui Chronicle, 24 Nov 1919 - SERIOUS DAMAGE
The Denbigh Hotel building was seriously damaged by fire to-day. A little after 2pm flames were discovered in the staff's quarters upstairs at the end of one wing. The fire spread along the wing and the brigade had to fight for an hour to get control. One side of the building was practically gutted on the upstairs portion and the ground floor. The furnishings etc., were ruined by water. The damage is hard to estimate at present, but it is possibly £3000. Both building and stock were insured but particulars are not available. The proprietor is W. T. Hook and the licensee H. R. Wallace. The latter had been here about two months and the fire was very unfortunate for him. He had every room booked for the racing season next week.
The Hon. D. Guthrie's secretary was a guest at the hotel and was using a room for Lands Department work but though he lost his private belongings, like many others, no State documents were destroyed
Manawatu Standard, 16 Aug 1921 - LEASE DISPUTE
... the further defence was raised that if it was proved that the plaintiffs did introduce the said Mary Cramp as the purchaser of the hotel and that an agreement of sale and purchase was executed, the defendant claimed that prior to the agreement being entered into, plaintiff falsely represented to the defendant that the said Mary Cramp had made all necessary financial arrangements and had available the cash necessary to complete the contract ... (more at link)
Manawatu Times, 2 March 1927 - NEW PROPRIETOR
Mr H. Dooley, for a number of years the proprietor of the Denbigh Hotel in Feilding, retired yesterday and with Mrs Dooley will go into private residence in Denbigh Street, pending their departure on a visit to Ireland. Mr McPherson the new proprietor took over yesterday
Manawatu Times, 9 June 1927 - DENBIGH FIRE
The seventy-roomed structure known as the Denbigh Hotel, situated at the corner of Manchester and Fergusson Streets was imperilled by an outbreak of fire which occurred yesterday at 3:50pm. Smoke was seen issuing from an upstairs room in the servants quarter occupied by the second cook, Mr Seager, and while at first considered an incipient outbreak an investigation proved it to be a serious nature and the brigade was promptly summoned and no less promptly arrived on the scene.
Volumes of thick black smoke issued from the rear of the building and the whole structure was soon saturated with the smoke charged atmosphere. The brigade got quickly to work and were able to confine the flames to the seat of the outbreak. Water, however, found its way to the ground floor which was thoroughly soaked. The kitchen, dining room and front of the premises suffered extensively from the effect of the water and smoke and as the electric light wires had been cut, the premises were closed as it was impossible to see,
The new motor fire pump proved an acquisition. There was no doubt as to the water pressure once the pump got going and a copious supply helped the brigadesmen to get the outbreak under control.
The Denbigh Hotel was the scene of a severe fire in 1919 when practically the whole of one wing was destroyed. It is a substantial concrete and brick building of two storeys, owned by Mr W. Hook of Auckland, and occupied by Mr D. D. McPherson who recently took over the license from Mr H. Dooly.
The origin of the outbreak is a mystery, The occupier of the room was absent and nothing is known as to the cause.
The insurances were:- £4,700 on the Hotel premises in the Commercial Union Office and £4,850 in the Ocean Accident Office
Manawatu Times, 8 June 1928 - LICENSE RENEWAL
Harry Burrows, Denbigh Hotel, Feilding
About the DENBIGH HOTEL
.. taken from Manawatu District, Heritage Inventory (pdf)
- anything in italics is my addition -
The Hotel is situated at 50 Manchester Street, FEILDING
The first accommodation house on the site was constructed in 1874 by Charles Roe (1833-1901) who arrived at Petone in 1840. Following his emigration to Wellington, he moved to the Australian gold fields before returning to Wellington where he had an interest in Wellington’s first hotel, Dickie Barretts’. He then followed a career in journalism with the New Zealand Advertiser and Parliament’s Hansard until 1874. Mr Roe ran the Denbigh hotel for 14 years until his retirement. He named the hotel after the Earl of Denbigh who was a director of the Emigrant’s and Colonists’ Aid Corporation, a significant organisation in the settlement of Feilding. As with the Feilding Hotel, the Denbigh has been damaged by fire and rebuilt over the years.
The hotel was constructed by William Wilkinson. Perhaps, even if the town and District were searched in every direction, it would be found impossible to find one who has made a greater contribution to the progress of Feilding, in the material sense, than the sturdy pioneer and artisan to whom we pay public recognition this week - Mr William Wilkinson, master builder of Feilding... Feilding Star, 5th December 1936.
William Wilkinson was born in Preston, Lancashire and immigrated to New Zealand in 1879. After first working in Feilding he then moved to Auckland and the Waikato before commencing business on his own account in 1896. He established the first joinery shop in Feilding and among the many buildings he constructed includes: the Denbigh Hotel, Feilding Technical School, the Bank of New Zealand, Sandilands Buildings, the Manchester Street block from Carthews to Haybittle and Sons, the Fergusson Street block from Tingey’s corner to Bramwell’s, the Feilding Library, the Rangitikei Club and the Masonic Hall.
The building is designed in the Italianate Palazzo style. This Italianate commercial style was a part of the classical revival of the nineteenth century, which was championed by Sir Charles Barry from the 1840’s in his design of clubs and smaller office buildings. His preferred style was the sixteenth century Italian Palazzo and he was also influential in using this style for large country houses for the wealthy. Commercial buildings, particularly banks, preferred the use of classical architecture, and the design of C. R. Cockerell’s Sun Fire and Life Assurance building of 1839-42 in Threadneedle Street confirmed the Italianate Palazzo style. The design of larger structures using classical language was easily solved using the Palazzo style and quickly saw warehouses and multi-storey offices and other buildings adopt the Italianate Palazzo style. Architects such as Edward Walters, J. E. Gregan, Edward I’Anson, and John Gibson, popularised the style in England while Scottish architects also took up the style with gusto. The High Victorian period saw additional classical styles such as the French renaissance become a significant style, however the popularity of the Italianate Palazzo style for commercial buildings was maintained until the Edwardian period, when the style evolved into the Inter-war Commercial Palazzo style. This was developed by American architects McKim, Mead and White initially for Chicago high-rise commercial buildings, and this style became popular throughout the ‘New World’.
A rusticated base with arched window openings, triple arched colonnade to the upper front elevation and heavy cornices over upper windows and keystones are consistent with the style. As with most buildings of the town and period, the building is constructed of painted cement render over brickwork with painted timber joinery. Cast iron balustrading to the upper balcony is possibly an original element, however research on the original form and appearance of the building is lacking to form a definite conclusion. The interior largely retains its original planning; however relining the interior in the latter part of this century has obscured any original material to the ground and most of the upper floors. Small glimpses of the original lining material can be seen in the staff quarters where bedrooms have painted timber match lining on walls and ceiling and a bathroom has pressed metal on walls and ceiling. The substantial building addresses Manchester Street, with an obvious, and long, side elevation to Fergusson Street.
SUMMARY OF HERITAGE VALUES
The building has regional significance for historical and architectural heritage values.
As the first public accommodation house in Feilding, the building has had an historical association with Feilding since its first settlement. Having been built by William Wilkinson, the building retains historical associations with the most prolific and successful builder in Feilding of the Edwardian period.
The building has architectural values as a good representative example of the Edwardian Italianate style, which was popular for hotels and office buildings in the early 20th century. The front elevation contributes to the streetscape of Fergusson Street and is a primary building in the town’s historic Edwardian precinct. It has moderate levels of authenticity of exterior design.
The DENBIGH HOTEL 1920s
Zoom option if you follow the link