OWNERS AND OCCUPIERS OF STEWARTON / GLADSTONE PARK, VIC., AUST.
This journal was prompted by Bezza sending me the information in italics. Mr Fenwick was probably managing the farm for Helen Melville. Thomas Steuart Gladstone was cousin of the prime minister. Stewarton and a farm of the same name in the Western District were probably named after Gladstone's partner. Stewarton was renamed Gladstone in the second year of John Cock's lease.
The will of the late Mr Thomas Gladstone has been proved. The personalty in the estate amounts to 25=,000.Kilmore Press 23 May 1889 p3. This is Thomas Steuart Gladstone. There was also a Sir Thomas Gladstone that died in 1889.
Fenwick seem to have Gladstone park in 1917 when it was sold.
Essendon Gazette 22 Feb 1917
Gladstone Park Sale. Campbell and Sons and McCulloch Hancock will sell, on Wednesday,. Inst., at 1 p.m., at Gladstone Park, Broadmeadows. under instructions from A. G. and C E. Melville. the whole of pedigreed and farm mares, dairy breeding sows, sheep, machinery, farm implements and sundries. Particularly given in our advertising columns, and other details may be had from the auctioneers or from Mr. A. Fenwick. Gladstone Park, Broadmeadows.
Essendon Gazette 14 Sep 1916 p2
Clearing Sale at Broadmeadows. .Last Tuesday week, 5th September, a very successful clearing sale was held at Gladstone Park, Broadmeadows, by McPhail, Anderson and Co., in conjunction with McCulloch and Hancock. The proprietors having decided to relinquish dairying and to go in solely for sheep and cropping, instructed the above agents to hold a clearing sale of all the dairy stock, plant, etc. A large number of buyers attended and a good sale resulted. Cows. in milk some time, made to 11 10s; springers, to 14; 21-year-old heifers, in lines, 6 12s 6d;: 18 months to 2-year-olds, 4 12s Gd; 9 to 12 months olds, 3 2s 6d; bull,.to 10 2s 6d. The plant. etc.. also sold at good values.
Essendon Gazette 8 August 1918 p3
MR. A. E. HOADLEY Has secured the Imported Welsh Cob, GWALIA CAESAR Who will stand the Season at GLADSTONE PARK, BROADMEADOWS. Terms on Application.
Section 5 in the parish of Tullamarine fronted the east side of today's Mickleham Rd from the Lackenheath Drive corner to Forman St where it adjoined Broadmeadows Township.The first bridge in the township joined the two parts of Ardlie St.
Today's suburb of Gladstone Park is separated from the rest of SECTION 5'S 777 acres (subdivided as the Gladstone Gardens Estate) by the freeway. It also includes most of "Viewpoint" which ran south to the junction. Marigold Crescent in Gowanbrae is also part of Viewpoint. About half of Camp Hill/ Gowanbrae is in Gladstone Park while the portion south east of the Ring Road carries the farm's second name.
Page G.30, DICTIONARY HISTORY OF TULLAMARINE AND MILES AROUND.
George Russell of Golf Hill in the Western District who bought Section 5 Tullamarine is shown on the Parish map as the grantee. He bought it for Niel Black of Mt Noorat near Colac who arrived in 1839 as the representative of Niel Black & Co. The partners in this firm were A.Stewart,Thomas Steuart Gladstone, Alex Struthers Finlay and Niel Black. Section 5, Tullamarine was probably intended as a holding paddock or depot to rest sheep hoofing it to market in Melbourne and was owned by Neil Black until his death in 1880 and in 1881-2 by his estate.
In 1882-3 Gladstone became the owner and from 1888-1892, land speculator, G.W.Taylor, was recorded in rate books as the owner;he'd anticipated a killing because of the proposed railway to Bulla with a possible branch to Broadmeadows Township. Taylor fled the country leaving massive debts and the Gladstones regained title as well as pocketing the deposit and part payments.Andrew Lemon said the Gladstones owned the 777 acre farm "until the 1920's" but the rate collectors thought otherwise;the next owner was Frederick Newman Levin, from 1949 till 1952 when he sold to Stanley Korman.
Lessees were Peter McCracken 1846-1855 (McCracken Papers), J.Maconochie , 1863-4, Edmund Dunn of "Viewpoint",the next property south 1865-1873, John Taylor 1873-5, John Kerr of Kerrsland 1875-1892 (Kerr and sons 1881-2), John Cock my great grandfather 1892-1912, HELEN MELVILLE 1912-1917, A.E.Hoadley 1917-1920, L.Roxburgh 1920-1930, Jim Barrow 1930-1949. Owner/Occupiers from then were Levin 1949-52, Stanley Korman 1952-1964, Costain Development Pty. Ltd (Broadmeadows: A Forgotten History.) The last occupant of the second Gladstone Park Homestead (site known) was Ian Farrugia who was also the last occupant of the remaining house on THE LAST OF THE BROADY FARMS (Camp Hill/ Gowanbrae), the second farm south.
on 2014-07-20 05:28:02
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.