PARORE LOUIS WELLINGTON -- 1900 ------------- 1953
edmondsallan - Hello - " Louis Wellington Parore " after attending the local primary school , went on to secure a scholarship to the ' Auckland Grammer " . No small feat in those days for a maori .
On 2 April 1910 Parore married Emma Isabel Hart at Dargaville; they were to have at least two sons and a daughter. Following Emma's death on 20 April 1923 Parore moved to Devonport, Auckland. There on 15 November 1924 he married Marjorie Grace Sisson; they were to have at least four daughters and a son. Parore, his wife and mother-in-law then moved to Dargaville, living at Te Houhanga marae with his parents until their home adjacent to the marae was built.
Parore's leadership among Tai Tokerau Maori was based on his determined pursuit of claims for the return of tribal lands. Concerned that the intricacies of land laws were so little understood by Maori people, in 1912 he applied to become a Maori interpreter. He was licensed as an interpreter, first grade and entitled to act as agent for clients before the Native Land Court.
In 1929 Parore participated in a celebrated case before the Native Land Court in which Nga Puhi sought acknowledgement of customary Maori ownership of Lake Omapere. The Crown asserted that native custom failed to recognise ownership of beds of lakes, that Maori were confined to 'use rights' of fishing and navigation of lakes, and that the Treaty of Waitangi never contemplated private ownership of navigable waters. Parore assisted E. C. Blomfield as advocate for Nga Puhi. He based his case on the protection of Maori customary rights under the Treaty of Waitangi, 'a sacred compact between the British Nation and the Maori Nation'. By citing numerous acts of Parliament in support of his contention that the Crown had generally acknowledged Maori customary rights to lakes and their beds, he also demonstrated more than a slight acquaintance with statute law.
Parore was keen to see Maori established in farming. In 1933, on behalf of his father, he offered two blocks of 50 acres to the government under the Small Farms Scheme. The offer was declined, partly because the land was regarded as unsuitable for economic development. Parore also donated 71 acres of land for the support of the Anglican Maori bishopric.
In 1935 Parore acted as master of ceremonies during the visit to Whangarei by the governor general, Viscount Galway. He also made his only foray into politics in that year's general election, unsuccessfully contesting Northern Maori on behalf of the Democrat Party.
Parore now took an interest in Te Roroa's 50-year-old claim for the return of two sacred places, wrongly seized by the Crown, at Maunganui Bluff. Their loss had caused great pain to Te Roroa. After petitioning Parliament to authorise the Native Land Court to investigate the matter, Parore argued the case for their return before the court in 1939. He produced extensive evidence that Maori customary title to the reserves had never been extinguished, citing extensive Maori burials in one of the reserves, recent continuing Maori occupation, and official Crown recognition of both reserves some 30 years after they supposedly had been sold.
Although Judge Acheson's report was strongly in favour of Te Roroa's claim, it was not supported by Chief Judge G. P. Shepherd, who was presumably aware that the reserves were then in private ownership. In objecting that Shepherd was 'wrong in fact and law', Parore offered to quote instances where the Crown had made similar mistakes. His offer was not taken up and he unsuccessfully petitioned Parliament in 1943, asking for relief in regard to the reserves, and in 1944 for a royal commission into the issue. Te Roroa ultimately made a successful claim for these reserves before the Waitangi Tribunal in 1990.Parore was involved in many other aspects of Maori life. In 1914 he took part in the building of the meeting house Rahiri at Te Houhanga marae. In 1927 he was a foundation member (and two years later a vice president) of Te Akarana Maori Association, where he became acquainted with the ethnologist George Graham, Te Puea Herangi and others. He was involved in inviting northern chiefs to the 1929 opening of the Auckland War Memorial Museum building, at which he acted as official interpreter. As the association's representative on the Waipoua Preservation Committee, formed to advocate the protection of Waipoua Forest from milling, in 1947 he petitioned Parliament, asking 'That the song of the axe and saw in Waipoua Forest be stopped at once'; the area was made a forest sanctuary in 1952. Following the resignation of his friend Apirana Ngata from cabinet in 1934, he was deputed to take him a testimonial from the association. He was at one time a member of the Maori Advisory Board of the New Zealand Rugby Football Union, and was active in rugby in Northland.
Tall and of athletic build, Louis Parore had natural charm, humour and an affable manner. For 20 years he participated in most of the important northern Maori claims against the Crown and became their leading advocate. Despite his lack of formal legal training, he possessed a capacious and logical mind, coupled with a deep knowledge of Maoritanga, treaty history and land law. He demonstrated his leadership qualities by spending his life in the service of his people. Parore died at Auckland on 3 March 1953 survived by his wife, Marjorie, and eight children. He is buried among his whanau at Te Wharau, Ounuwhao, north of Dargaville.
From a humble beginnings " Louis Wellington Parore " certainly climbed that ever so hard , ' European Ladder of Knowledge "
In doing so , He helped his people and many others in retaining much of their own ancestral lands . Till we meet again - Regards -edmondsallan