REVERAND ALWYN ALFRED EDWIN BINNS 1904
REVERAND ALWYN ALFRED EDWIN BINNS, b. 09 Apr 1904, Lahore, Pakistan; d. 21 Sep 1982, Torteval, Gernsey, Channel Islands; .
Married HELENE BAPTISTE, 12 Mar 1966, Torteval Gernsey; b. Abt. 1905, Guernsey.
More About REVERAND ALWYN ALFRED EDWIN BINNS:
Degree: 1927, B.A. University of Punjab
Ordination: 1928, Ripley Hall Oxford
Deacon: 1929, In Southwark, living at 29 Foyle Road Blackheath SE3
1932 - 1947 Principal of Sherwood College Naini Tal
Sherwood College Web site
Years of Dynasmism: Allwyn Binns:
1932 marked the end of an era with the departure of the great Mr. Dixon so much a part of Sherwood that, in the fitness of things, the senior wing came to be known as Dixon wing. So intense was his devotion to the school the rumours were afloat that the school would have to close down with his departure, but the Rev. Allwyn Binns proved a worthy successor. Under his youthful and dynamic leadership, the reputation of the school was maintained. He introduced the Cock-House system, the Marathon run and prohibited 'lupping' of the juniors, thereby earning their undying gratitude. When he discovered the frequent skirmishes between the school and St. Joseph's, the result of too intense a rivalry, he turned to other school - Oak Grove and Bishop Cotton's and the two La Martinieres - to bring things back to a more healthy perspective.
The school is re-christened: In 1937, the name of the school was changed from the Diocesan Boys' School to Sherwood College, although to this day it is known to the coolies as 'Malla Di-shen' which being translated, is presumably 'Upper Diocesan'. The shower popularly known as 'the dry-cleaning center' had hot and cold water laid on in 1934. The system was automatic for the seniors who got in first, it was hot, whilst for the rest it was cold ! The Binns block was built on the northern side of the back 'quad' and in the following year, a noble edifice, named Milman Hall after the founder, replaced the old tin-shed which gloried in the name of 'The Pavilion'. The new building which cost the unbelievable sum of Rs. 60,000/- was formally opened by Sir Harry Haig Governor of the U.P. It now accommodates a beautiful school Hall above with a seating capacity of 600 and a well equipped gymnasium below.
1947 - 1966 Retirement
Chaplain, Housemaster, Chaplain and Mathematics Teacher At Bancrofts School Woodford Green Essex, (from memory, still checking Brian Binns)
1966 Rector of Torteval Guernsey
More About ALWYN BINNS and HELENE BAPTISTE:
Marriage: 12 Mar 1966, Torteval Guernsey
link to Alwyn on the Binns Web site