Robert & Sophia RUSSELL - Makatoku, Ormondville NZ - from Dalzeil, Lanarkshire, Scotland
research for betheldoit from Napier, NZ(on 2012-07-22 00:20:58)
Wanting to trace Robert Russell who came to NZ from Lanarkshire Scotland
... This is what I have so far but need help.Robert Russell was my Grt Grandfather and the soninlaw of Sophia Wilson who m Adam Smith (she was known in NZ as Granny Smith the midwife)
-Adam Smith 09:11:1828 ? Cambusnethan Parents John Smith & Margaret Millar ?
-Sophia b 18:10:1850 Old Macher Aberdeen Scotland ? parents James & Catharin Wilson ?
-Robert Russell m Sophia Smith ( Sophia & Adams daughter) 17:06:1870 in Dalzeil Lanark then they came to NZ in 1875 with Robert jnr Sophie and arrived with baby Janet our grandmother on the Hudson.No ships record on departure or of birth but a babe in arms apparently on arrival.
-There is an Adam Smith arriving in NZ Adamnant from Lanarkshire left 28/09/1878 arrived 11/01/1879 ? Was Sophia Smith, his wife on the same voyage or did she come alone ? Is this the right Adam Smith as we do not have Granny Smiths ( Wilson)arrival info but know it was later than the Russells and she had the younger members of the family with her.
-Several Sophia Wilsons probably need checking as well
-4/07/1845 Barony Lanarch (chrisrened 20/07/1845 to James Wilson & Elizabeth Redpath
-7/11/1858 New Monkland Lanarch to William Wilson & Wallace Allan
-The Smiths and Russells settled in Central Hawkes Bay and one of Granny Smiths younger daughters married a Reisima.The decendents of this branch do not have any info and cannot connect details either even tho' they have a family member called Robert Russell Reisima.
I cannot find Robert Russells death date or any other details of their life except for the childrens school sports achievements on papers past.Robert & Sophia (or was she Janet) had 6 children Lilian, Janet Hill, Esther Ingles, James, Sophie and Robert.
Any info or advice greatly appreciated thankyou.
Private Robert Russell Reisima was a son of:
James William REISIMA & Jane Bell SMITH
the HUDSON left London (with 204 passengers) on 20 Nov 1874 & arrived in Napier on 12 Feb 1875
- on board was Robert & Sophia Russell & 2 children (& 1 born on way??)
the 10 known children of Robert (1851-1910??) & Sophia (1853-1894) Russell:
1870 - ? Robert Russell
1872 - 1959 Sophia Wilson Russell
1875 - 1909 Janet Hill Russell
1877 - ? Jane Smith Russell
1879 - 1966 Esther Ingles Russell
1881 - ? Elizabeth Russell
1884 - ? Lilly Russell
1887 - 1887 Thomas Victor Russell
- Thomas died 18 Oct 1887 aged 11 weeks, at Makotuku
- he is buried Block 1 at Ormondville cemetery
1889 - ? James Russell
1894 - 1894 William Wilson Russell (died 29 June aged 3 months)
11 April 1894 Sophia Russell (wife of Robert) died in Makotuku, Dannevirke aged 40 (complications of birth?). She is buried in Block 1 at Ormondville cemetery
9 May 1879 at Ormondville
- Robert's section at Ormondville was transferred to William Petersen. It was decided that the transfer should be allowed provided Mr Petersen had not been a holder of land on deferred payment
1 Jan 1883
- Robert, Sophia & Janet Russell attended the Ornomdville District School Sports day held on New Years Day in Mr Levy's paddock
28 Jan 1885
- Janet Russell received a special prize for her attendance in Standard One at Ormondville School
26 March 1885 Ormondville Co-Operative Society
- The above Society having been formed applications for Shares should be made to the Treasurer, Chas. Leach, Ormondville. The Store will be opened for the supply of General Merchandise early in May. ROBERT RUSSELL, Secretary
28 April 1887
- Our Makatoku correspondent writes as follows:- "An interesting gathering took place at the residence of Mr H. Smith (Smith's siding), Makatoku, on Thursday, to witness and take part in a wedding. The contracting parties were Mr T. Auld of Makatoku and Miss Martha Smith. The marriage was solemnised by the Rev Mr Robertshaw of Dannevirke. The bridesmaids were Miss Mary Smith, sister of the bride and Miss Sophia Russell. Mr A. Cunningham acting as best man. At the termination of the ceremony the guests sat down to a splendid spread, the Rev Mr Robertshaw occupying the chair. After ample justice had been done to the good things provided the proceedings terminated by the chairman proposing health and prosperity to the happy couple, in a humorous speech, which was responded to in the orthodox manner. During the evening the number of the guests was largely augmented by numerous arrivals from all parts of the district and dancing and other festivities were kept going till daylight
29 July 1887 Makatoku School
- A farewell concert, tendered to Miss Reed (mistress of the Makatoku school) by the school children, on the eve of her departure for Napier, took place at the public hall, Makatoku, on Wednesday evening. During the evening the guest was presented with a handsome silver teapot, the gift of the scholars, bearing the inscription, "From the Makatoku School"; also an address.
Miss Janet Russell presented the gift and Master Robert Russell read the address on behalf of the scholars
10 May 1888
- Robert & Sophia Russell had their names entered in the Ormondville Town Board Valuation Roll
28 Aug 1889 Makatoku Housholders Certificate
- We, the undersigned ten householders, residing in the immediate neighbourhood of the Makatoku Hotel, do hereby certify that DANIEL WOODS is a person of good reputation and fit and proper to have granted to him a Publicans License.
Witness our hands this 15th day of August, one thousand eight hundred and eighty-nine:
J. W. ANDREWS
A J. HOBBS
9 Oct 1890 from the BUSH ADVOCATE
- ORMONDVILLE R.M., COURT
... RUSSELL v WEBBER
(this was a case in which an interpleader had been put in with regard to moneys paid under protest to prevent seizure by bailiff)
- Sophia Russell being called deposed that she was the wife of Robert Russell, Makotuku (10km SE of Norsewood, Ormondville). Had leased the house from Hobbs, also had charge of furniture belonging to Hobbs. All the furniture in the house besides was hers. Had paid for it with her own money
- Robert Russell deposed that he was a contractor, living at Makotuku in Hobbs house. Had no property in the house belonging to him (witness) only his clothes
- By Mr Bamford: Everything in the house belonged to Mrs Russell, There was no bill of sale over the furniture nor deed of sale over the furniture nor deed of any kind
- Chas. Garforth, being sworn, deposed that he acted as agent for Mr Hobbs, Mrs Hobbs left here the latter end of August last. Some of Hobbs furniture was sold and some left in Mrs Russell's charge. After argument was heard the summons was dismissed, as there was no proof a seizure having been made
17 July 1895
- Jane Russell of Makotuku received a First Year Pass as Pupil-Teacher with 848 points
30 Nov 1895
- Lily Russell of Makotuku was commended for the excellence of her handwriting
NOTE there is a Robert Russell buried in Grave 32, Plot 4, BLock 3 at Mangatainoka cemetery, Pahiatua. He died 21 Dec 1910 aged 59 (born 1851) who may be the Robert Russell above
HEADSTONE or Robert Russell reads:
"In loving memory of Robert Russell, died 21st Dec. 1910, aged 59 years. At rest"