Notes: Transcribed from p.527 of Kelly's Directory of Cheshire, 1906. held at The John Rylands University Library, The University of Manchester.
SALTERSFORD and KETTLESHULME form a district Chapelry, comprising Saltersford ancient chapelry and Kettleshulme township, which was formed Nov. 4, 1864.
SALTERSFORD (or Jenkin Chapel) is a hamlet, 5 miles north-east from Macclesfield stations on the London and North Western and North Staffordshire Joint and Great Central railways, and is in Rainow township, parish of Prestbury, Knutsford division of the county, petty sessional division of Prestbury, hundred and union of Macclesfield, county court district of Chapel-en-le-Frith (Derbyshire), in the rural deanery and archdeaconry of Macclesfield and the diocese of Chester. The chapel of St John the Baptist, erected in 1733, is a small and plain building of stone, consisting of chancel and nave and small western turret, containing one bell: there are 100 sittings.
The register dates form the year [missing].
The living is a vicarage with Kettleshulme annexed, net yearly value £120, with residence, in the gift of the vicar of Prestbury, and held since 1879 by the Rev. Herbert Graham B.A. of New College, Oxford, who resides at Kettleshulme.
This place gives the title of baron to the Stopford family, earls of Courtown. The Earl of Courtown is the principal landowner.
The area is 2,700 acres; the population of the ecclesiastical parish in 1901 was 403. Letters through Macclesfield; the nearest money order & telegraph office is at Whaley Bridge, 4 miles distant.
KETTLESHULME is a township and village in a hilly district in the parish of Prestbury, but ecclesiastically annexed to Saltersford, and is on the road from Macclesfield to Chapel-en-le-Frith, about 3 miles south-west from Whaleybridge station on the Buxton and Stockport branch of the London and North Western Railway, and 7 north-east from Macclesfield.
There is a Wesleyan chapel, built in 1815, and seating 200 persons.
The charities for distribution in bread and money are £2 13s. 4d yearly value. The candle wick manufacture is carried on here.
The Earl of Derby K.G., P.C., G.C.B. is lord of the manor and chief landowner.
The soil is clayey and poor; the subsoil is chiefly rock. The population in 1901 was 321; the acreage is 1,232; rateable value, £1,727.
Post Office.- William Hewitt, sub-postmaster. Letters through Stockport arrive at 7.50 a.m. & 6.p.m.
No delivery on Sundays. Whaley Bridge is the nearest money order & telegraph office, 3 miles distant.
Council School (mixed), built in 1856, for 108 children; average attendance, 70; Miss Emma Pritchard, mistress.
Brocklehurst, Wm. frmr, Charlshead
Etchells, Sara (Mrs) frmr, Hooley hey
Heathcote Jonathan, farmer, High bnk
Hibber John, farmer, Thursbach
Hill John, farmer, Higher house
Hill Mary (Mrs) farmer, Close bottom
Hine Fredk. Farmer, Green booth
Robinson Wm, farmer, Saltersford hall
Stanway George, farmer, The Bank
Turner Jesse, farmer, Buxter stoop
Graham Rev. Herbert B.A. (vicar of Saltersford-cum-Kettleshulme), Saltersford Vicarage
Goddard Nicholas, Brook house
Mackintosh Rev. Robert D.D. Kinrara
Sheldon Misses, Brook bottom
Beard Joel, farmer, Wright?s
Bennett George, farmer, Redfearns
Bennett James, farmer & grocer, Kishfield
Bennett John, farmer, Brook bottom
Bennett Samuel, farmer, Greenbank
Boothby Geo. Herbt. Frmr, Broad carr
Boothby Martha (Mrs.) Swan inn
Broadhead Thos, farmer, Stocks
Broadhead Jas. ,farmer, Nether Carr
Brocklehurst Jn.,frmr, Spons bottom
Brocklehurst Thos. ,farmer, Needhams
Buckley Henry, farmer, Colehurst
Clarke Geo. , farmr, Hollow Cow hey
Collier James, farmer, Walker
Cotterill Frederick, farmer, Spout ho
Cotterill John, farmer, Kirkby clough & Brow top
Cotterill Maria (Mrs.) , farmer,Tunstead knoll
Fidler George, farmer, Lapwing
Flynn John, farmer, Well house
Ford John, shopkeeper
Fox Adam, farmer, Priest
Goddard Nicholas, buider, joiner & wheelwright, Brook side
Hewitt Ebenezer, Bull?s Head P.H.
Hewitt Elizh (Mrs) , farmer, Gap ho
Hewitt Jas jun. frmr, Greenlow hth
Hewitt Joseph, farmer, Townfield
Hewitt William, iron & implement merchant, grocer & sub-postmaster
Hill Abraham, farmer, Thornycroft
Jackson Ann (Mrs), grocer
Jackson Edmund, farmer, Marl bank
Jackson Joseph Sutton, florist
Joule John, farmer, Ely fold
Kettleshulme Library (Arthur Jackson, sec)
Lomas Edward, farmer, Cooper shaw
Lomas George, farmer, assistant overseer & clerk to Parish Council, Bent hall
Lomas Edw. frmr. Dixons & Commons
Mason Arthur, farmer, Further carr, Five Lane ends
Olrenshaw John, farmer, Old Matts
Pearson Geo, farmer, Boggart house
Pennington John, frmr, Round knoll
Pennington David, shopkeeper
Read Peter William, farmer, Clayton Fold farm
Sheldon John & Sons, candle wick manufacturers, Lumb Hole mill
TurnerJohn, farmer, Stocks
Ward George, farmer, Green dale
Williamson Henry, farmer, Side end
Williamson Samuel, farmer, Clayton fold & Brook bottom
Willott James, farmer, Dunge
Search sites for Cheshire;
Cheshire Archives and Local Studies
and UKBMD births marriages and deaths in the UK hold Cheshire Records