SCHLEGEL: Lura, (not Laura), 3rd child of Carl Edward and Minnie ELDRIDGE SCHLEGEL, marries Eugene HAYWARD and live on Philmont Boy Scout Ranch
Lura (not Laura) SCHLEGEL was born 22 Mar 1893 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. She attended Davenport schools and married Eugene GATES HAYWARD on 1 Mar 1917 at Davenport's Outing Club on Brady St.
Eugene was born 21 Nov 1892 in Eagle Mills, Ouachita, Arkansas, son of Cassius Daniel and Emma Louise WYMAN HAYWARD. He graduated from Iowa State College (now Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa) with a B.S. in Agriculture. They made their home on a ranch in Great Falls, Cascade, Montana where Eugene was employed as a ranch superintendent.
In 1920, the family moved to Cimarron, Colfax, New Mexico where Eugene ws the manager of the 300,000 acre Phillips Ranch which became Philmont, the National Boy Scout Ranch. The HAYWARDS purchased the H & H Ranch near Cimarron where they made their home until 1969, when they sold the ranch and retired from the cattle business. Both Lura and Eugene took active leadership in agricultural organizations which helped improve the lives of ranchers and the cattle business in northern New Mexico.
Lura died 10 May 1970 in Honolulu, Hawaii, Eugene died 20 Nov 1981 at Santa Barbara, Santa Barbara, California; their ashes were scattered in the Pacific Ocean. They had 7 children:
1. Eugene Junior (middle name, Jr. or nickname??) born 9 Nov 1917 in Great Falls,Montana, graduated from Iowa State University in Ames and was working for Armour & Co. in St. Louis, Missouri, when he disappeared in 1945. An extensive search was made by the family but no trace of him was discovered.
2. Albert WYMAN born 21 Apr 1919 in Great Falls, Montana, died 13 July 1999 in Honolulu. (no burial info)
3. Mary born 25 Aug 1920 in Great Falls, Montana
4. Suzanne born 19 Jun 1922 in Cimarron, New Mexico
5. Lura born 16 Dec 1923 in Cimarron, New Mexico
6. Carl Edward born 10 Oct 1925 in Cimarron, New Mexico, did not marry and lives (1986) on a ranch near Ft Sumner, Colfax, New Mexico where he raises horses. (no access to SSDI)