some MEEKAN marriages in New Zealand between 1898 - 1925
some of the MEEKAN marriages in New Zealand between 1898 - 1925:
- married Joseph Keane in 1919
Hannah Ball Meekan
- married Eli Samuel Phipps in 1901
Harry Byers Meekan
- born in 1897
- a son of Samuel & Margaret MEEKAN
- married Florence Sonia Edmonds in 1925
- married Mary Stury ? in 1898
Josepha Marie Meekan
- born 8 March 1901 in NZ
- a daughter of John MEEKAN & Mary STURY?
- married Harry Ashton Shone in 1920
- she died in 1874 aged 73
- Harry died in 1950 aged 58
- married Samuel Goodwin in 1905
- married James Henry Frew in 1924
according to the query on RootsWeb 16 Nov 1999 ...
John Jackson BYERS born 1796 married at Donaghmore Tyrone, married Anna Carson PARKE ... My 2xgrt grandmother Josepha Marie was born in Stewartstown in 1844 ... Josepha Marie incidentally married Samuel Meekan (born 1841 in Balteagh County Derry) 15/9/1874 in Dublin then immigrated to NZ that year ...
- from 1875 Samuel & Josepha had 3 children in NZ:
1875 John Meekan
1877 Hannah Ball Meekan
1882 Latitia Connor Meekan
- after that I cannot find a death notice for Josepha but from 1892 a Samuel & Margaret Meekan had 3 children:
1892 Samuel Meekan
1894 James Meekan
1897 Harry Byers Meekan (note the middle name)
Samuel was found as Meeken. He died in 1899 aged 58 (birth year as at link, 1841)
There are many Meakin dying in NZ but no Josepha
There is a Josepha Meekan dying in 1905 but aged 2 months
I suspected that the Josepha Marie above (born in 1901 and marrying Harry Shone would naturally be a child of Samuel & Josepha but she was not. She was a daughter of John & Mary Meekan, surely they were close relatives of Samuel.