<< Previous - Next >>


Journal by itellya

Broadmeadows Township,bounded by Hackett St,Kenny St,Lyons St and the Moonee Ponds Creek/Forman St at Melway 6 A7 started to lose its name in 1872 when the failed Essendon private railway was extended through Campbellfield toward Sydney as the North Eastern Railway. The station was named Broadmeadows and the nearby area started to acquire the name so,to avoid confusion the township was referred to as West Broadmeadows, later West Meadows, and is now known as Westmeadows. The suburb has now expanded into former farms such as Chandos, Kia Ora and Willow Bank.

Townships were declared on well-used routes, usually straddling a stream,many circa 1850. The Sydney road passed the Young Queen Inn at John Pascoe Fawkner's Pascoeville, further on turning west to pass through the Broadmeadows Township and climb Ardlie St. As the direct route was too boggy,it was some years before this hilly detour became redundant and the township was a lively place,especially during the rush to the McIvor diggings near Heathcote. Eventually the hill climbing was no longer necessary because Pascoe Vale Rd was made as far as Somerton Rd,probably linking with the new road via Cliffords Rd. Activity at the Young Queen and Broadmeadows Township was no longer so brisk.

Mickleham Rd from Tullamarine Junction to Fawkner St was known as Broadmeadows Road and then Old Broadmeadows Rd as it led to the township. The section of Mickleham Rd that passes the newish Westmeadows Footy Ground was Hackett St,the west boundary of the township, and had never been made until increasingly heavy traffic made the Fawkner/Ardlie St route through the township too slow and dangerous.

During the 1840's depression, Donald and Duncan Kennedy bought much land between Camp Rd and Rhodes Pde (south of Glenroy), and north of Broadmeadows Township, from speculators Hughes and Hosking and also land immediately north of the township from another grantee,Gerrard. Donald died in 1864 and his widow, Jessie, sold her share of the "Glenroy" land,east of Pascoe Vale Rd,in 1874 and Duncan sold his Jacana and Glenroy West land to Chapman during the land boom of the 1880's. Jessie probably moved from her residence on Gellibrand Hill in 1866 but retained the Dundonald Estate.

The above website confused Kia Ora with Willow Bank and as history is useless if it is wrong, I felt compelled to clarify the situation.

The homestead on the west side of Ardlie St where the pink place indicator points, was that of Kia Ora , another farm on Donald Kennedy's Dundonald estate. When the estate was split up into tenanted farms, and later sold off in 1929, there was no Mickleham Road between the Fawkner St corner and the top of the Ardlie St hill. Ardlie St was part of the old Sydney road which still bears that name north of Donnybrook Lane. Thus it was that Ardlie St was the boundary between Kia Ora and Willowbank, the latter not having a Moonee Ponds Creek frontage because its southern boundary,where it adjoined Broadmeadows Township, was Kenny St.

The late Jack Hoctor told me that the Kia Ora homestead was east of Mickleham Road and was later used for the office of the caravan park, named as the Melbourne Airport Caravan Village in my 1999 copy of Melway.

The parish of Will Will Rook is between Moonee Ponds Creek and Merri Creek with the northern boundary being the line of Swain St near Gellibrand hill and the southern boundary being Victoria St/Rhodes Pde/Boundary Rd near Glenroy. Speculators Hughes and Hosking bought a huge slab of the parish in 1838.

The following memorandum of Sale of Land at Port Phillip, sold at Sydney, has been forwarded to this Office for publication :
(The columns give detail of section number, acreage, name of purchaser and price paid per acre. The digitisation of the price has not been corrected as it is fairly meaningless but all purchasers did well, paying less than half of the upset price of a pound an acre that was later introduced.)

1 174 Hughes & Hosking 9 B; 5 930 Thomas Walker 9 6; 4 856 R. Campbell 9 $; 6 1143 Hughes & Hosking 9 6; 7 880 T. Wills 9 9;
8 964 Hughes & Hosking 8 9; 9 640 Hughes & Hosking 4- 9; 10 959 Salting & Gerrard 9 8 ; 12 1180 Neil Campbell 8 9
18 II5O Hughes & Hosking 8 6; 14 ? 640 R.Campbell 7 9. Lots not sold In this section? Nos. 2, 5, 11, I5.
(P.2, The Cornwall Chronicle, 29-9-1838.)

Thomas Wills section 7 became Cumberland and the Campbells had land near Sydney Road; hence the name of Campbellfield. A rough indication of the Hughes and Hosking's land is given by the Melway co-ordinate for the central part of each section.
1. 16 H3; 6. 6 J 12; 8. 5 J2; 9. 6 B2. Sections 1 and 6 were in the area from Rhodes Rde to Camp Rd and fronted the Moonee Ponds Creek. Sections 8 and 9 were north of Broadmeadows Township.

There is no documentation that Hughes and Hosking leased the land but they certainly wouldn't have occupied it themselves. The Camerons probably leased "Glenroy" (which they named) from the two speculators. The depression circa 1843 made sheep almost worthless and most were sent to boiling down works. As sheep were the main reason for owning huge tracts of land, land values also plummeted. Donald Kennedy bought the Hughes and Hosking land for a song, and probably also the Gerrard land adjoining the Broadmeadows Township reserve and south of section 9.

Donald Kennedy split the Glenroy land with his brother, Duncan, who received the Jacana and Glenroy West land fronting the Moonee Ponds Creek. Donald's widow sold her Glenroy land as three farms in 1874. Duncan sold his share to Chapman in the land boom of the 1880's.

Donald Kennedy had a great area of land and he could probably see it all from the impressive homestead that he built on Gellibrand Hill. There is a fine photograph of the house at the historic Woodlands Homestead but sadly all that remains of the Dundonald homestead (and the Cumberland Homestead) are piles of rubble. Andrew Lemon states on page 22 of BROADMEADOWS:A FORGOTTEN HISTORY that Donald "personally developed the properties Chandos,immediately west of the Broadmeadows township reserve and Dundonald, directly north of Chandos." Why would Donald Kennedy have been leasing Chandos from Riddell or John Peter?

I found no link between Kennedy and Chandos in trove or google searches. Nor Peter and Chandos. Nor Riddell and Chandos.

At least two marriages were performed at Dundonald in 1859 so the house must have been impressive. Donald Kennedy died in 1864 but his widow, Jessie Grace Kennedy seems to have been still living at Dundonald in the 1870's. Her sale of the Glenroy farms in 1874 might have been because she was leaving Dundonald.

20 for Mrs Kennedy, Dundonald (P. 7, Argus, 18-12-1873. Sales of fat lambs.)

KENNEDY.?February 1, at Camberwell, near Melbourne,Jessie Grace, widow of the late Donald Kennedy, of Dundonald, Victoria.
(P.1, The Sydney Morning Herald, 12-2-1890.)

By 1876 a tenant on Dundonald had been appointed as a magistrate.
Charles M'Alister Shannon, Dundonald, Broadmeadows; (P.8,Argus, 15-7-1876.) Shannon had been on Dundonald by 1871,either as the manager or lessee. (P.8, Argus, 17-8-1871.)

FARM to LET, Dundonald Estate, Broadmeadows, 2OO acres, immediate possession. Apply to Mr C M'A Shannon, Sydenham house, Moonee Ponds ,or Mr VVm Lynch, Market-square, Collins street vvest, Melbourne. (P.8,Argus, 12-3-1879.)
This 200 acre paddock would be half of Dundonald. If I remember correctly Sydenham House was 1 Ardmillan Rd, Moonee Ponds, housed Sydenham Ladies' College at one stage and was demolished by Rex Iverson to build a modern Ardmillan Reception Centre.

The farms on the estate were Dundonald (400 acres), Kia Ora, Willowbank, Springbank, Wattle Glen and Annette Farm,the last two accessed via Elizabeth St. in Broadmeadows Township (Westmeadows.) Although not sold by Kennedy descendants until 1929 each farm had gained it own identity by 1880 or so.
e.g. BROADMEADOW S (Tcb 10) -M'Phail Bros. and Co. report having conducted a very successful clearing sale on behalf of Mr W. J Corrigan, Annette Farm, Broadmeadows, of his dairy cattle, (etc.) (P.5, Argus, 24-2-1910.)

WEDNESDAY. NOVEMBER 27. At Half-past Two O'Clock. At Scott's Hotel, Melbourne.
KIA ORA, Containing About 333 Acres.
WILLOW BANK, Containing About 299 Acres.
WATTLE GROVE, Containing About 195 Acres.
ANNETTE, Containing About 291 Acres.
SPRING BANK, Containing About 301 Acres.
DUNDONALD, Containing About 399 Acres.
Aggregating About 1848 Acres.
Forming a Compact Group, Separated Merely by the Main Road.
Under Instructions from THE TRUSTEES, EXECUTORS, AND AGENCY CO., of 112 Collins Street, Melbourne, in the Estate of Messrs.
D. C. and D. Kennedy, Deceased.
ITiDM'AHD TRENCHARD and Co. and A. E.J GIBSON and Co., auctioneers in conjunction, are instructed to SUBMIT the abovcraentloned
properties for SALE as stated. Each farm Is self-contained and fairly equipped for farm purposes, and situated in the centre of a flout isiiing and rapidly expanding district, actually adj'oining the picturesque township of Broad-meadows; adjacent to the Broadmeadows rallwaj station (which now enjojs through electric train service to Sandringham), connected with tho City of Essendon by motor-'bus sen ice, and within easy distance bf Newmarket and other important metropolitan markets.

The properties have now como on to the market after having been in the undisturbed possession of the Kennedy family for over 60 jcais, owing to the death of the last member of the family.

KIA ORA is an attractive slope of nice qualltj loam, having the Moonee Ponds Clock as its south boundarj', with very comfortable W.B. dwelling and shedding therecm. It is an excellent general farm, all. capable of being cultivated, and has a fine record as a consistent ciop producer,

WILLOW BANK, opposite above, is also a very attractive slope, similar in quality and character to Kia Ora, having a very comfortable W.B. dwelling and shedding thereon. These two farms actually adjoin the Broadmeadows township, and possess great potential features.

WATTLE GROVE is on excellent little mixed farm, occupjinga fine elevated position, traversed by a good gully, and also watered by dams, and having a fair W.B. cottage and sheds thereon. Nearly the whole of this farm could he cultivated.

ANNETTE is one of the best fattening and general farms in the panMi. with rieh, sweet banks and fiats thoreon, specially adapted for dairying. Permanently watered hy 'creek and dams, with U.G. tank for dornest le purposes, M'.B. dwelling house capable of being ti.torcd; also excellent stabling theieon.

SPRING BVNK. on milli road, a vrv cosv mixed farm for daiiving, cultivation, dealing, .Vc, well watered bv dams and watercourse, and having mee groups of icdgiim and box timber thereon. Buildings eompri-e M.B. dwelling, stabling, and j ?beds.

DUNOON VLD. al?o on main road, a nice granii g and cultivation farm, with fair lot of redgum< timber. A conspicuous fealtiro of Dundonald is ' ilellibrand Hill, a beantiiul knoll of considerable altitude, commanding e^pan.ive view? of incomparable scenerv. This properlv vvould form a profitable, healths', and refined horne for profe?.?Ion ii or eily bnsine.s man. Building, comprise roomy M" B. dwelling and minor outbuildings.

The hiicf descriptions given denote that the properties mentioned enn-titute a mo?t valuable group, and the am tinneer?. having an intimate knowledge of the (etc.) (P.2, Argus, 9-11-1929.)

DUNDONALD. This property extended south from Swain St to the south boundary of the Victoria Police Attwood property. It was assessed as 400 acres, and 200 acres after the Commonwealth purchased the police property from Jim Attwood for a remount. During W.W.2, because of a shortage of fuel, horses were used for transport at the army camp near the historic Will Will Rook Cemetery on Camp Rd, and they were spelled on the remount. The Dundonald house (of which there is a photo at the Woodlands Historic Homestead) was the venue for at least two weddings in 1859 but after Donald Kennedy died in 1864,the House, with or without the 400 acres, was advertised for lease. Charles Shannon seems to have been managing the property for Donald's widow Jessie Grace until at least 1873, and may have leased the property on his own account until 1880. The Hatty family leased the property for many years until it was sold to Attwood in 1929; they then moved to Edina further north ( now the Corpus Christi Community at Melway 178 J8.)

In 1917 and 1918, James and John Orr of Kia Ora, Broadmeadows were leasing the residential section of the Moonah Links Golf Course at the back of Rye (Melway 252 D2.) By 1920 the lease had been taken over by Tommy Loft of Greenvale, who shortly after bought Dalkeith (the residential area of Tullamarine west of Broadmeadows Rd. Where had the two Orr boys gone? Let's ask George Lloyd,the author of MICKLEHAM ROAD 1920 TO 1952.

1920.The Orr family is leasing Kia Ora,Willow bank and Annette Farm from the Kennedys. George and Sid Lloyd's father, Bill, arrived from Clyde in 1920 to drive a binder for Jack Orr (Kia Ora) in the harvest and then share farmed with James Orr on the other two farms.
1929. The Kennedy land north of Broadmeadows Township is sold and the Hattys, after 50 years' occupancy of Dundonald, are forced to move to Edina (see above.) The purchasers were Keith Campbell (Willowbank), George Dalley (Springbank), Jack Orr (Kia Ora), Jim Attwood (Dundonald) and Steve Walsh (Annette). George Dalley later sold Springbank to Edward Campbell,a Lord Mayor of Melbourne, (father of Keith) who had a holiday house where some councillors want to change the rules to allow a huge apartment/cafe complex near the Rosebud jetty.

BROADMEADOWS COUNCIL. Mr James Orr has been returned unopposed to fill the extraordinary vacancy in the Broadmeadows
Shire Council caused by the death of Councillor William Shankland. (P.14, Argus, 8-9-1913.)

The Argus (Melbourne, Vic. : 1848 - 1957) Tuesday 13 June 1939 p 7 Article
... GYMKHANA AIDS HOSPITAL Picturesque events were held at a gymkhana yesterday on Kia-ora, Broadmeadows, the property of Mrs. A Orr, president of the local, auxiliary to the Queen Victoria Hospital, in aid of the hospital.

A horse gymkhana in aid of the Broadmeadows auxiliary for the Queen Victoria Hospital and the Broadmeadows Red Cross and Comforts Fund was held on Mrs. John Orr's property, Broadmeadows. The committee of the Oaklands Hunt Club assisted the effort from which
a satisfactory profit will result. Among the winning riders in the various hunters' plates and other events were Mrs Ken Moore, Mrs Hickey, and Messrs J.Scott, W. Patten and J Attwood. Mr Campbell Fraser was ground supervisor and Mr. W. Mason judge. They had the assistance of Messrs J. Barrow, J. Attwood and K. Campbell, committee . Miss E. Elliott was secretary, and Mrs. Orr president.
(P.2, Argus, 25-6-1940.) N.B. Jim Barrow had been leasing the part of Gladstone Park/Gardens north of the Lackenheath Drive corner since about 1930.


by itellya Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2013-11-29 01:47:45

Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.