The Family of James RUGG - West Coast South Island New Zealand
1)James RUGG born about 1830 in Wales; he died 19 Nov 1918. His obituary is listed at Papers Past 22 Nov 1918 Grey River Argus p.3 (http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz)
James believed to have arrived in NZ with his wife Ann and eldest daughter Alice in the late 1860s he was resident in NZ by the 1870-1871census.He was the Proprieter of Ruggs HotelKumara.
1)m. Ann born about 1843 and died May 1901 age 59 (BDM 1901/3127) reported in the Grey River Argus Volume LVII Issue 10520 9 May 1901, Page 2 (past papers) Possible probate record available Brunner/Greymouth CAIF 20702 CH300 Box 54 HK 1010/1902 http://www.archway.archives.govt.nz
Children of this union:
2) Alice:b: abt 1868 probably before arrival in NZ died in 1929 (BDM 1929/8471) m: Gordon HARCOURT 1894 (BDM 1894/2668) - indecent assaulted trial report West Coast Times 9 Aug 1881 from District Court Hokitika (paperpast) - 3 known children 3)(Gordon McKenzie 1895/7266) (Alice Louisa 1903/4477) (Margret Stuart Ann 1898/13301)
2) Caroline : b:abt 1865 d:1958 m Robert Eglesfield WYLDE
2) Charles: born abt 1869 Greenstone NZ a carrier he died on the 21 March 1958 (BDM 1958/20195) a probate record available CAHX 2989 CH171 552/ CH318/1958 m:1891 (BDM 1891/2406)Rebecca Tuckey born in Lumsden South Island abt 1871 died 2 April 1952 probate record @ archives (CAHX 2989 CH171 488/ CH1640/1952); both interned at Ruru Lawn Cemetery Block 35 Plot 60 (http://librarydata.christchurch.org.nz/Cemeteries/) - 4 known children of this union:3)(Charles 1891 bdm 1891/14809 d.1932 probate record Greymouth (CAIF 3389 CH300 Box9/ GM603/1931) m Jessie Amelia JOHNSTON b.abt 1893 m:1924(bdm 1924/104780) d: 11 April 1949 probate record (CAHX 2989 CH171 454/ CH27712/1949) interned Bromley cemetery. (Henry Luke b.1893 d. 1893 1893/2694 aged 5 months)(Dorothy Gladys b:16 Feb 1896 (1896/17184) d:23 Jan 1979 (m Herbert WEARN 1925 1925/4652)(Jessie Florence Martha b:1897 (1897/8968)m Arthur Thomas STEVENSON 1921(1921/9834).
2) Ellen (Nellie): m: Robert ALISON 1899 (BDM 1899/625) - 2 known children of this union 3)(Robert Alexander James b: 1900/15621) (Douglas Xavier b: 1902/9332 d: 14 Oct 1982 interned Waimairi retired publican)
2 )James jnr: born abt 1869 died 1957 (BDM 1957/29372) m: 1895(BDM 1895/2943)Theresa MURPHY born abt 1875 died 1896 BDM 1896/2070)probate record (CAIF 20720 CH300 Box50/ HK623/1896) - 1 known child of this union 3)(Mary Frances b: 1895/1524) second m: Annie Christina JACOBSEN in 1899(BDM 1899/1268)- 2 known children of this union 3)(Gladys Augusta b: 1900/1808 Frederick James Rugg b: 1901/6536)
2 ) Martha: b:Kumara abt 1873 died 17 Nov 1918 influenza (Grey River Argus 19 Nov 1918 p3) interned Linwood Cemetery Block 45 plot 277 m: John BROWN 1894(BDM 894/3917) d:24 Jan 1919 committed suicide (Evening Post 27 Jan 1919 p7) by hanging after the death of his wife, eldest son and father in law who HE had been nursing at 185 Antigua St Christchurch he is interned Linwood Cemetery Block 45 plot 277 with his wife. Three children of this union 2 who are known 3) (Hugh James aka Jimmy 1899/18821 d:22 Nov 1918 age 19 of influenza he was a Warehouseman and living with his Aunt Caroline WYLDE at the time(ref papers past) he is Interned at Linwood Block 45 plot 278) (Mary Margret Ann 1896/17312)
2) William was born abt 1871 Kumara d:1 March 1968 interned Ruru Lawn Cemetery Block 34 Plot 15 he married Barbara Ellen HANNA in 1896 (BDM 1896/3547) b:1874 d:24 Nov 1949 Interned with her husband at Ruru Lawn. There are 4 known children of this union. 3)(May Janet 1896/12146) (William James b: 1898/13302 d:27 August 1994 married: Una Annie PALMER b: 1915 d: 13 Nov 1986) (Martha Lelia Stuart 1900/15661 d: 1903/1453) (Cedric Charles 1902/10547)
2) Thomas abt 1878 d:7 Nov 1918 (BDM 1918/12239) of influenza Tom as he was known died a fortnight before his father who had moved from the West Coast to live with him. Interned Linwood cemetery m: 1900 (BDM 1900/1366) Louisa Mary DIRDRIEHS probate available (CAHX 2989 CH171 467/ CH28896/1950) - no known issue. Louisa Mary did not remarry and continued to live for the rest of her days at 127 Antiqua St in Christchurch where she had lost her husband and just down the road from where so many of their extended family had died. She died on the 19 July 1950 and is interned with her husband Block 48 plot 202.
Although not stated in papers past the death of James Rugg is in all likelihood from influenza, the family had lost Thomas a fortnight before James Seniors death. Martha on 17 Nov 1918 and her son James; 22 Nov 1918.
Many of the family members were involved with freighting and hotel proprietary. There is a substantial amount of detailed articles relating to James and his family in the Grey River Argus and other South Island publications which is available online at papers past. http://paperspast.natlib.govt.nz. Other sources used: