the GOMM/MONK CONNECTION in England and Victoria, Australia.
When Henry Gomm was trespassing on Lord Moreton's estate, Samuel Monk was one of his companions. Henry was transported to Hobart in 1836 and Hannah (Neal) and her three children joined him in early 1838. Henry gained his ticket of leave in 1841 and owned a 16 ton schooner Venus by 1849.
By 1853 Henry was requesting a post office in Moorabbin parish and by 1862, Henry had 14 acres in Balcombe Rd, probably between the property of Jesse Monk in Church Rd (now St) and George Gomm's 6 acres; George had a house in Balcombe Rd and another in Charman Rd.
At about that time young Henry Gomm, who married Margaret Monk, moved onto his own land at Somerville. Death notices confirm that Margaret came from Cheltenham and that Jesse Monk's wife and James Monk died in Somerville. A Gomm and Monk presence remained near Moorabbin for some time.
The Gomm and Monk families still live in Somerville.
(Sources: Tasmanian Genealogy, City of Kingston website, Trove (Argus)Murray Gomm.)
on 2011-05-13 09:24:52
Itellya is researching local history on the Mornington Peninsula and is willing to help family historians with information about the area between Somerville and Blairgowrie. He has extensive information about Henry Gomm of Somerville, Joseph Porta (Victoria's first bellows manufacturer) and Captain Adams of Rosebud.