the JESSIE READMAN passengers into Auckland 21 November 1885 :: Genealogy
<< Previous - Next >>

the JESSIE READMAN passengers into Auckland 21 November 1885

Journal by ngairedith

the following account was taken from the AUCKLAND STAR

The ship Jessie Readman, under the S. S. and A. company's flag, arrived in port this morning, and dropped anchor off the end of Queen-street Wharf. The vessel is in charge of Capt. Gibson, Mr Roger as chief officer, and Mr Hill second officer. She brings a large general cargo as per import list, also a number of passengers, all in good health.

The ship has had some very bad weather, but arrived in port in excellent trim.
Captain Gibson reports of the voyage as follows:-

... Left London on August 7, and Gravesend on the 8th; anchored in the Downs till Thursday, the 13th, during which time it blew hard from the westward. Left with light westerly wind, working to about east light. Landed pilot off Portland Bill on the 15th, and had light winds from about W.S.W. till the 29th, in 29 N. 13.15 N., where a light breeze from the N.E. set in.

Had to steer west for two days to get round the Canary Islands, passing within 6 miles of Palma, on the night of the 31st. The N.E. trades were very light, leaving us on the 9th Sept. in 11 N. 27 W.
Had light, variable winds till the 17th, in 3.35 N. 19.41 W., where we picked up the S.E. trades. Crossed the Equator on Sunday, Sept. 20, in 24.31 W. Had the ususal performance of Neptune, etc., also, sports, such as climbing the greasy pole, etc. The winds proved equally with a nasty head sea, and were lost on Sept. 29 in 22 S. 32 W. Hot northerly wind same evening, with very unsettled weather.

October 2 and 3 the weather was very dirty, accompanied with heavy thunder and lightning in all directions. At midnight on both dates furious squalls struck the ship, the first one taking away the uppermain-topsail, mizzen-topsail, etc., and the last luckily did no harm, the ship running dead before it under lower-topsail and foresail.

Crossed the meridian of Greenwich on the 10th in 39 S., weather still very insettled. Passed the meridian of the Cape on October 14 in 42 S. with fair W. winds, which continued more or less till the 27th, when a fresh gale from the N.E., accompanied by a very high sea, set in, the ship reaching on the port tack. The wind then backed to N.W., and blew a hard gale, with too much northerly sea to run.

At 10 a.m. on the 28th the wind flew into about S.S.E., and blew hard for a few hours, during which the ship was reaching or hove-to for 48 hours. The wind then went into the westward again, and moderate winds continued until Nov. 8, when we had a strong N.W. gale, lasting for about 8 hours.

The wind then went into the west, blowing hard gale, with mountainous sea. Ran before it, and did no damage. Strong S.W. winds and heavy hail squalls followed until the 12th, when Tasmania was rounded. After that had one day of unsteady wind from W. to N.W., fresh, and lasting till Thursday last at 7 a.m., when the Three Kings were sighted. Wind then hauled to W. Cape

Brett was passed on Friday at noon, and the anchor was dropped in Harbour early this morning, the passage having occupied 99 days from the Downs.


Thomas DAWES

Miss McKAY

Thomas YOUNG

Miss M. WINN
Miss A. WINN
William WINN

Mrs WYCHERLEY and their 10 children:
Charles, Alfred, Jessie, Hannah, Henry, Grace, Clement, Mercy, Arthur and Ernest Wycherley

W. G., Henry, E., Mary L., Edith and John G. OSBORNE

Miss Jane REID

William and Elizabeth E. SATMAN

Alice, Alfred and Charles DOWARD

researching the Wycherley family for a reader who may provide me with a personal diary of the journey written by C. W. Wycherley. This will be added when received

The Wycherley family, as above were:
Charles Whittingham WYCHERLEY aged 42
his wife, Hannah Keziah nee SPARROW aged 37
- and their 10 children, all born in Weymouth, Dorset
1870 - 1907 Charles Joseph Wycherley
1871 - 1958 Alfred William Wycherley
1873 - 1952 Jessie Mary Wycherley
1875 - 1916 Hannah Teresa Wycherley
1876 - 1956 Henry Sparrow Wycherley
1878 - 1946 Grace Maria Wycherley
1879 - 1970 Clement Whittingham Wycherley
1881 - 1958 Mercy Gertrude Wycherley
1882 - 1951 Arthur Jefferson Wycherley
1884 - 1951 Ernest Denham Wycherley

the WYCHERLEY FAMILY in New Zealand


the WYCHERLEY DEATHS in New Zealand

the Jessie Readman passenger list
- into Auckland & Tauranga October 1874

In 1893 the JESSIE READMAN was wrecked on Chatham Islands
- this account was taken from WHITE WINGS, volume 1:

The Jessie Readman, a sister ship to the Christian McCauseland, would have completed her 23rd voyage out and home, but for the disaster that befell her in 1893, when homeward bound from New Zealand.

She was an iron ship of 962 tons, built by Scott of Greenock for Patrick Henderson, and later sailed under the Shaw Savill flag. She was a speedy and comfortable ship and brought many thousands of immigrants to the Dominion.

Captain Barton, who wa in command when the vessel was wrecked at the Chathams on her homeward voyage, had a very anxious time on her passage out to Dunedin, which port he reached on 22 Sept 1892. The Jessie Readman, like many other vessels arriving from home during the latter part of 1892 had to contend with large quantities of ice, which was first seen at midnight on August 8, in latitude 37-30S., longitude 29W. She sailed between icebergs for 130 miles, which ranged from one quarter to one and a half miles in length and from 100 feet to 450 feet in height. 50 large bergs plus several small ones were counted, the last being on August 9. The ship also encountered a heavy gale from SSW on Aug 12, attended by a very high sea, during which she lost several sails and suffered other damage.

After discharging her cargo and loading wool aat Dunedin and Napier she sailed early n dec 1892 from the latter port for London, and all went well until the Chatham Islands were reached. She experienced mainly northerly winds after clearing the NZ coast, and, when approaching the Chathams met with foggy weather

Captain Burton believed he had given the Island a wide berth, but, during the night the ship struch the island on Tuuapeka Beach. The foggy weather and tide had hove her about 6 miles from her true course in passing the island.

She became a total wreck but the officers and crew were all saved. The Jessie Readman was the only ship wrecked on the Chatham Islands to rescue her entire cargo. The wool was landed on the beach practically undamaged, but, it suffered greatly afterwards. It was carted to a level piece of grass free from the tide as unfortunately no dunnage could be procured. The only dunnage available was the fence of a sheepfarmer which meant pulling up the fence to be used as posts. The owner asked an exhorbitant cost, which captain Burton declined, the result being that the ground tier absorbed the damp, and naturally the wool was badly damaged. Then the steamers chartered to convey the wool to NZ suffered bad weather and the cargo suffered enormously.

The residents of the Chathams made a big haul from the salvage. They charged ?1 (One pound) per bale to shift the wool from where it was landed, up the beach one hundred yards. Nearly all the islands horses were taken to the wreck to help.

the JESSIE READMAN as it was in 1893 when stranded at Chatham Islands
taken from NZETC

by ngairedith Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2011-10-08 03:34:17

ngairedith has been a Family Tree Circles member since Feb 2008.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.