The Kings from Lancashire
William King continued the carrying business and agency at North Road, Preston, Lancashire, in the north-west of England, begun by his father, James King. On 26 October 1845 he married Jane Elliot of Friargate, Preston, and moved to Blackburn where they raised a family of six children. Kenneth born 26 November 1854, William Henry 22 February 1857, Eugenie 29 May 1859, Walter 25 August 1861, Fanny 24 April 1864, and Caroline 28 January 1866.
Walter became a builder and painter but by 1886, though only 25 years of age, he had become so affected by lead poisoning, a form of T.B. common to painters of that time, that he decided to migrate to Australia, hoping that the clear air and warm sunshine would help him. He was living at Nithsdale Street, near Hyde Park, Sydney, when he met Hanora Kennedy. She was a member of the choir that sang in St. Mary's Cathedral and also at the Sacred Heart Church in Darlinghurst. She lived with her mother and sister at Paddington. They were married on 2 July 1891, and moved further out of the city, the first of the many moves which they made, always seeking better conditions and fresher air for Walter.
They were at Newtown when their second child, Walter James was born, 19 August 1893. Alice was then 18 months old. Margurita (known as Rita) was born 29 November 1894, and then the family had moved to Balmain before Cecil John was born 30 June 1898. Hanora moved the family again, taking them with her when she went to Randwick to nurse her own mother through her last illness. Mary Kennedy (Bourke) was only 53 years old when she died, 28 June 1899. Again Walter and Hanora moved house, this time going further from the dampness of the sea air to Smith Street in Summer Hill. But it was to be for only three months till Walter died 2 October 1899, only 38 years of age and having given thirteen years of his life and work to his adopted country.
Hanora was left alone to raise their family of four, the fruits of their hopes and prayers. She left Sydney, the scene of so much hardship and sorrow, and returned to Uralla, and the home of their mother's childhood. Her grandfather Daniel Bourke had died on 13 November 1893, her Uncle Patrick Bourke had died 11 June 1894 and now it was his wife Julia, with her mother Norah, and her sons, Tom, Dan, James and John who were managing the property and keeping the home going. Hanora and her children were welcomed into the home and lived there for four years. Hanora was able to take up her former work as a seamstress to help support her family. She used to spend some time with her very good friend L.ouisa Post who lived on Gostwyck. Perhaps she did some sewing for the women of Gostwyck. There she met James Carlon. They were married on 8 September 1903 and when Hanora moved to the new home he prepared for her it was the last time she had to move her family. They grew happily and well together with the new family that she bore with James, two daughters, and a son.
When the war started in 1914, Hanora's oldest son, Jim was just 21 years of age. He was patriotic, enthusiastic and eager to go with his mates so she did not deter him, but how it tore at their heart!!! She turned for comfort and strength to Our Lady, that other Mother who knows and understands the anguish of separation from a loving Son. The Rosary was the source of that trust that kept Hanora going. Throughout the cold, biting winter as in the heat of summer there was not a single evening that she did not "pray her beads" for Jim and for his companions. She prayed, too, for all the mothers like herself, and that included Sarah O'Connor, whose boys and their friends went so valiantly to defend their country and ours. Even during those long months of 1918 when Jim was "missing, presumed dead", Hanora did not join in such presumption. Perhaps her mother's instinct, perhaps the grace of God, kept her praying for his safe return. And return he did!! Even though it was months after the Armistice had been signed, months after many of the other boys had come back, but he came 26 June 1919.
Frances Margurita King was only four years old when her father died at their home at 15 Smith Street, Summer Hill, (near Ashfield) in Sydney. She had been born 29 November 1894, the third child of Walter King and Hanora Kennedy. She used to enjoy the walks with her father in the quiet of the evening, as she and her sister Alice would go out with him, each holding one of his hands. Perhaps they went to the nearby shop for the evening paper, or to set something for their mother. Sometimes it would be to the park that they would go and their father would push them gently on the swing. They did not realise how ill he was and that that was all the exercise he could take. Nor did she realise what it meant when he died and her mother sold up their home and took the two girls, together with their two brothers, Walter James was six years old and Cecil John was a baby fifteen months old. They went to Uralla, to "Uncle Pat's" home. The place was another "Summer Hill" and Uncle Pat had been their grandmother's brother; though he, too, had died. His wife and sons were there and welcomed Hanora and her four children. They spent some time with others of Hanora's relatives and friends. The children hardly understanding that they had returned to their mother's birthplace. Margurita, or Rita as she became known, started school at the Catholic School (St. Joseph's) in Uralla. When her mother married James Carlon the family moved to his home on Salisbury Plains and Rita attended the small school there.
Rita King was a popular member of the group of young people living and working in Uralla and her "Tea Rooms" was a favourite meeting place. In February 1924 she went to Sydney and entered the Little Company of Mary and made her final Profession of Vows there 30 September 1929. She was given the name Sister Benedicta and became a part of the Nursing Staff of Lewisham Hospital.
Sister Benedicta spent time as Superior at Calvary Hospital, Wagga Wagga, and also at Mount St. Margaret Hospital at Ryde. In 1956 she went as one of the foundation members and as Superior to the new hospital at Hawera, New Zealand. In 1963 Sister Benedicta was transferred to Christchurch, in the South Island of New Zealand, and appointed Provincial Superior of the New Zealand Province of the Blessed Sacrament, of the Little Company of Mary. On 9 April 1965, following the General Chapter of the Congregation, in Rome, Sister Benedicta was appointed Vicaress-General of the Little Company of Mary, which post she held until her return to Australia 11 January 1972. Sister Benedicta has been at the Convent at Lewisham until her death there on 7 November 1972.
Alice King married Roy McGarrigle in 1922 and they made their home at Maroubra, (Sydney), where their son Ronald was born 22 February 1923. Ronald was only fifteen years of age when his mother died, and he joined the Navy. He had spent only five years in the Navy when his ship was sunk on Christmas Day, 1943 and he was one of those who went down with it.
Mr. C.J. King
Cecil John ("Kingie") King died suddenly on November 29, at his home, 28 Copeland Street, East Lambton.
Aged 73, he was a popular resident of Kentucky South for many years, until he and his wife retired, about 11 years ago, to live in Newcastle.
He served in World War I at Gallipoli, and was one of the original soldier settlers at Kentucky South.
The last Mr. King's first wife (nee Ida Rixon), predeceased him by many years.
He is survived by his wife, Veronica (nee Ryan), and sisters and brother, Sister M. Frederick, of Kogarah, Winnie (Mrs. R. Carey, of Bondi), and Mr. Joseph Carlon (Salisbury Plains, Uralla).
A brother, Mr. Jim King, and sisters, Mrs. Alice McGarigal, and Sister M. Benedicta, predeceased him. Requiem Mass was said at St. John the Evangelist Church, Lambton, on Friday, after which interment was at the Catholic Cemetery, Sandgate.
Walter James (Jim) King was born at Newtown, (Sydney) on 19 August 1893, the elder son of Walter King and Hanora Kennedy. In early childhood he lived in various suburbs of Sydney as his mother moved the family from place to place seeking fresh air and comfort for her ailing husband. Perhaps it was when the family was living at Centennial Park that James could remember walking to school with a string on his slate slung around his neck. That would have been the year in which he celebrated his sixth birthday, it was also the year in which his grandmother died and then just three months later his father died 2 October 1899. Jim could remember his mother packing up all the family goods and travelling up to Uralla, to `Uncle Pat's place', though Uncle Pat had been dead five years, his wife, Aunt Julia welcomed the bereaved family. Then it was that Jim and his two sisters, Alice and Rita walked to the Convent School in Uralla.
Jim was ten years old when his mother married James Carlon and the family went to live at "Castlebrook", on Salisbury Plains. Some times ha. would stay with his mother's good friends, the Cahill family of Palace Hill. After leaving school, Jim was apprenticed to a tailor in Uralla, then he was working for Tom Elliott, a saddler when the first World War started. Jim enlisted on the 30 September 1914 and went into training with the 6th Light Horse. A note written about his departure on the S.S. Suevic makes interesting reading:
D. Troop, B. Squadron, 6th A.L.H.
On Board S.S. Suevic, at sea. 11 January 1915
My Dear Reader,
In the following pages I will write in the form of a diary, a few notes concerning my travels since we left camp at Holdsworthy. Since I came aboard I have not written anything relating to our trip because strict censorship is on all our letters. Well to start with on 19 December we received orders to pack our kits and load them onto the transports at 8 o'clock in the morning. Then all day we were let lay about, guessing at what time we should leave, when we were told at about S o'clock to saddle up and be ready to start at 6.30. in the excitement no one thought of having much tea, then at the sound of the bugle, about five hundred men were on the parade ground waiting for the order to mount. It being such a hot summer's day nature seemed to know our wants for without any warning a great black cloud burst overhead, and in five minutes we were standing in about afoot of water, at 7.30 we were mounted and ready for a long weary journey of 24 miles at a pace not to exceed 4 miles an hour. When you know the time it took us to get to the end you will wonder how we put in the time, nevertheless we got as far as Homebush at 10 o'clock in the morning, where we watered and fed our horses. After doing so we began to search for the pack horse that was carrying our midnight meal but without success and I can tell you our appetites were increasing rapidly by this time.
Unfortunately for us the note ends and there is nothing more written in the pad, however we know that the "Suevic" sailed from its berth at Woolloomooloo on 20 December, 1914, had an uneventful voyage and, after brief stays at Aden, Suez, Ismalia and Port Said finally reached Alexandria on 1 Feb. 1915, and the Regiment settled down to the task of completing its training near the edge of Cairo. May 15 they embarked from Alexandria on the "Lutzow" and on the morning of 18 May sailed past Cape Helles and on the afternoon of 19th reached Anzac Cove where they landed next morning. From 19 till the evening of 22 May the Regiment stood to in Shrapnel Gully. An 8 hour Armistice was arranged on 24 May to bury the dead. Late in June the Brigade took over the right flank of the Anzac position. The 5 Reg. occupied Chatham's Post, the 6 and 7 taking over successive sectors inland.
On 26 November the weather which had gradually grown colder, set in wet, with violent windstorms, culminating on the night of 28 with a heavy fall of snow, the thermometer showing 26 degrees of frost. Numbers were evacuated with frostbitten feet and the strength of the Reg. became so low that continuous night duty was unavoidable. For thirty-five consecutive nights one post was occupied by the same three observers.
For those who had, throughout 7 lurid months dwelt in an inferno of death and disease, the underlying sentiment was not for ourselves, but for the men who had fallen in a desperate and unsuccessful gamble, whom we seemed to be abandoning. But we knew, none the less, that the enterprise had failed. On the evening of 18 December the first large party embarked safely at Anzac Beach and the last few followed without incident at 2.30 the following morning. The string of rowing boats were rapidly loaded at the little jetty, a steam launch went ahead to the minesweeper awaiting us several miles from shore. We climbed aboard, shivering and conscious of the inevitable reaction, for our journey to Lemnos. Now that it was all over there were few who did not feel the unutterable relief.
We sailed on the `Beltana' for Alexandria, arriving there on Christmas morning. That Christmas compared well with one in the workhouse. The rations on board throughout had not been remarkable for either quantity or quality. Christmas dinner left more spaces unfilled than overloaded, and from 3 o'clock in the afternoon until 9 at night we sat on our kits on the upper deck and fasted - and prayed. Entraining towards midnight we reached Zeitoun in the small hours of the morning and, scorning sleep, spent the remainder of the night profitably in a steak and egg canteen.
The following day the Regiment marched out to Maadi and by nightfall the camp had been re-established. During our seven months absence the horses had been well cared for. Many re-allotments had to be made and by the opening of the New Year (1916) a period of training was in full swing, officers and men threw themselves vigorously into it. The result was the singular individual and corporate efficiency which characterised those Light Horse Regiments to whom fell the initial pioneering work in the Sinai Desert. By mid April training days were at an end and we entered into the desert campaign. At midday on 23 April 1916 we started on the long ride that began at Salhia,, on the Egyptian side of the Suez Canal, and ended two and a half years later, on the Tablelands of Moab, beyond the Jordan River. On the 7 May the 6 Regiment reached Oghritina and just outside the camp was the old stone well with its plentiful supply of good soft water. Life became one stunt after another and both men and horses were learning to live in the desert. No training can teach one to quench a raging thirst with brackish water or to endure long days through the burning sun and suffocating dust without water. Then in the winter the weather became cold and wet, rain fell on Christmas Day 1916 and while its quantity was not very great it was sufficient to make the hessian bivvies of the men very uncomfortable. The nights became intensely cold and sandstorms blew with hurricane force. We were still in the region of Oghritina, Katia and Romani.
By February 1917 we were resting at the beach near Mazar for a week then during March we came to the very strong Turkish post at Gaza. We camped at Belah on the east side of the Wadi Ghuzze, which was for some months our reliable water supply. On 26 March began the first attempt to take Gaza but it was not until after the second attempt on 19 April that it was finally cleared of the enemy. On 22 May the Regiment rode out to take part in the demolition of the enemy railway which ran from Beersheba through Asluj. By 2 November the Regiment moved north along the Beersheba-Hebron road, then advanced towards Jaffa where we were for Christmas 1917. The New Year, 1918, opened with showery weather and for most of January and February, it remained cold, wet and windy. On 9 March the first move was made towards Jericho and the Jordan Valley. March 17 the long ascent up the Judean Hills was completed by nightfall. The Regiment bivouacked outside the north-west corner of the walls of the old city. of Jerusalem. Parties in turn went to visit the historic places in the old city, then rather in an unsanitary condition, its occupation by our forces having not been sufficiently long to work the vast improvement noticeable a few months later.
On 22 May the Regiment began the long descent into the Jordan Valley. The River was reached at dawn one morning and crossed on a pontoon bridge and then, traversing the eastern plain of the Valley, there were the signs of the previous day's conflict when the enemy had been forced across the river by the New Zealand Brigade, the wounded and the dead still lying along the route. The enemy could be seen on ridges four miles to the south, they withdrew as we advanced and by 4 o'clock the ascent of the Moab Mountains had commenced. The ascent, during a night of rain and darkness, in single file by what were goat tracks, along sheer ascents, up steep grades made slippery by wet flagstones, was accomplished by daybreak, and without one serious accident; a striking proof of the claim that in no phase of the Sinai-Palestine Campaign, were Australian horsemen and their camel transports unable to take part. The rain, which had been falling intermittently during the night, set in steadily at daylight and continued to fall in torrents during most of the day. Icy winds chilled the. already soaked and weary men.
The route followed took the Regiment through Naaur and northward along the Es Salt Road, thence branching off this on a track leading to Amman. El Fuheis was reached by 7 o'clock where we bivouacked for the day. B squadron, working on the left flank moved a considerable distance towards Amman, the remainder of the Regiment made a direct attack on enemy sangars a little to the right of the village. Absence of artillery on our side placed the advancing force at a great disadvantage. The enemy held his main position around Amman and along the railway line to the north. On 28 -March, a day for ever historic in the 6 Regiment, a general attack took place. Steadily the advance continued until it reached the top of a high, bare hill overlooking a series of strong enemy sangars several hundred yards in front, B Squadron, 58 strong when it started, spread out along the top to the left. Realizing that an advance was little short of suicide, Lieut. Dickson passed a message down to the C.O. that advance was impossible and received the reply for a frontal attack, three times he sent a similar message until the final reply was to advance at all costs. So the advance was made and the cost to the Squadron proved staggering. Of the men who crossed the skyline only one, wounded in four places got back. The missing included Lieut. Ridgeway, Sergeants King, Burlace and Sharpe, Corporal Redman and 18 other ranks - in all 23. Jim King was able to tell of his ordeal when he did finally get home but for eleven long months he was kept a prisoner in Aleppo and for his family he was "missing, presumed dead". He had been wounded in the shoulder, on the side of his head and in the calf of his leg. Perhaps it was fortunate for these prisoners that the railway line had not been destroyed or they may have been killed, as it was they were thrown into a closed van on the train and taken to Aleppo where there was at least a Red Cross station at which their wounds were tended, but they could get no message either to friends, family or comrades. They did not know that the Armistice was signed 11 November 1918, or that the war was over when they were put in a train in early February 1919, and taken across to France where their guards simply left them on the train and returned to Turkey. French officials assisted the former prisoners to cross the Channel to England.
When Jim King arrived home from The War he found that his mother had invested his money in a bakery business in Uralla. His brother Jack and sister, Alice were running the business with the help of their good friend, May Ryan. His sister, Rita and her friend Mary Haren were conducting "tea rooms" next door. Jim was discharged from the Army on 23 September 1919, and took over the management of the bakery. He was not happy with town life and was longing to have a farm of his own. When some of the Gostwyck land on the eastern end of Salisbury Plains was offered for soldier's settlement he put his name on the ballot list and was successful in getting a block, so he sold the bakery to his mother's cousin, Arthur Donaghue.
On 15 September 1920, just a year after he had arrived home, Jim married Eva Kathleen O'Connor, daughter of Patrick Michael O'Connor and Sarah Elliott. Eva had been working in Curtis's clothing shop in Uralla, for some years and was a familiar and popular member of the younger people of Uralla, as also were Jim's sisters, Alice and Rita King, and Molly and Winnie Carlon.
Jim and Eva moved out onto their holding soon after their marriage and began establishing their home, which they named "Oghratina,' after the oasis in Palestine where Jim had many times found refuge and water. Jim selecting his stock and building sheds and fences, Eva became a keen gardener and was able to grow all the vegetables they required as well as having a good supply of flowers to take to decorate the church or to give to her friends when she went to town.
Their first child, Joan was born 26 June 1921, then a son, Bernard Walter in 1923, Cecilia in 1925, and all this time they would make the long trips, 15 miles; to town in the sulky and Eva would be hard put to keep the small children warm in the cold of winter. It was a great day when Jim bought a car and they could travel the distance in less than half the time, as -well as being sheltered from the weather.
The farm was prospering, their next sons were born, Oswald James in 1927 and Keith Joseph in 1929. Jim commenced building a new house for his growing family when the great depression struck the country. Wool prices fell drastically and he was no longer able to purchase building materials. He and the family survived by living on their own produce, thanks to Eva's expertise in the vegetable garden and with the help of the children. Also to having their own meat, milk and eggs produced on the farm.
Carma Margaret was born in 1932 and Gerard Anthony in 1934. By 1936 Jim was able to complete the new house and the family moved in. Eva, like her grandmother, Mary Murphy, was careful for her children's education and taught them herself with the help of Mr. Finigan's Blackfriars Correspondence School, since there was no school within reach of their home.
Jim kept his interest in the army by training with the Australian Light Horse Association and went into camp with these men from time to time. When the 2nd World War started he became an instructor in Civil Defence, and also saw his son, Bernard enlist in the army.
After the war Jim joined the Gostwyck Shire Council and served the local community until November 1947 and then when the Gostwyck Shire Council and the Uralla Municipal Council amalgamated he became the first President of the new Uralla Shire Council.
In 1949, when most of their children were grown and had left home, Jim handed over the working of "Oghratina" to Bernard and he and Eva moved in to Uralla, hoping for a less strenuous way of life, in the Stock and Station Agency which he took over from his long-time friend, Tom Heagney. Jim did not enjoy his different way of life for long, he died suddenly 28 July 1950. Eva returned to "Ohgratina" with Bernard, but when part of "Ohio" Station was offered for soldier's settlement and Bernard secured a block of land there, "Oghratina" was sold and Eva went with Bernard to make a home on the newly developed property which Bernard named "St. Joseph's". Eva died suddenly there 4 December 1958. It is interesting to note that "Oghratina's" name has been changed, it is now known as "Kings" and has recently been purchased by a member of the Nivison family, the owners of "Ohio".
LIFE AT THE LIGHT HORSE CAMP
War-time Song Recalled
How would some of you late risers like to turn out each morning at 5.45? That is what they are doing at the light horse camp at the showground this week. At 5.45 the Reveille is sounded - and there is no snuggling down into the pillow for that last minute doze!
The feelings of some of the men are well summed up in that well-known song:
"Oh, how I hate to get up in the morning!
Oh, how I long to remain in bed!"
There are a few more lines, equally expressive, about murdering the bugler, but we have forgotten them for the moment. Those war days are such a long way off. At any rate, the sum total of them is that the bugler is not a nice man, in fact (at 5.45 in the morning) a horrible man, and that he would far better be dead. Anyone at the Light Horse Camp will tell you that.
To Horse! To Horse!
Fifteen minutes to dress! Hauled out of bed, shivering, in the early dawn, the next thing is the wash basin. The water is bitterly cold, but it takes those last traces of sleep out of you. Then a cup of coffee, steaming hot, after which life begins to assume a more cosy hue.
At 6.15 all proceed to the stables and for a full hour grooming and feeding of horses are attended to.
It is a long time since so many horses have been seen in Armidale at any one time. The total number at the camp is 194. Needless to say, they require a good deal of attention.
A Moist Welcome
Drizzling rain did its best to damp the ardour of the light horsemen upon their arrival on Monday. Fortunately the tents had already been pitched and other arrangements made for the accommodation of the horses and men and conditions therefore were not nearly as bad as they might have been.
Altogether 205 officers and men are in camp and, in addition, eight civilians have been employed as cooks, batmen, etc. The regimental band comprising members of the Armidale City Band, will march into camp early on Friday morning.
Following are the regimental officers attending this years camp: Lt. Col. Johnstone, V.D. in command. Major Menzies (Glen Innes), Captain Salmon, D.C.M. M.M. (Inverell), Capt. Clark (Tenterfield), Capt. Rowland, M.C. (Tamworth), Lt. Dowe (Tenterfield), Lt. Scholes (Glencowe). Lt. Cunningham (Inverell). Lt. Johnstone (Armidale), Lt. Treloar (Tamworth), Lt. King (Uralla), Lt. Brennan (Emmaville), Lt. Westmacott (Yarrowyck), Lt. McRae Wood (Armidale), Captain Digny, A.A.M.C. (Tenterfield), Capt. Ferguson, A.A. V.C. (Tenterfield).
Other officers include the Brigade Major, Capt. C.W. Huxtable, C.S., Major O.V. Hoad, A.A. and Q.M.G., First Cavalry Division, Major A.H. Powell. D.S.O., Staff Capt., 2nd Cavalry Brigade, Capt. Monaghan, S.C., Adj. 12th Lt. Horse, Lt. Serisier, S.C., Adj. 16th Lt. Horse Regiment (West Maitland). On Saturday, the Divisional Commander (Brigadier General Macarthur-Onslow) will visit the camp.
THE URALLA TIMES
Thursday, August 3, 1950
Walter James King
The death occurred suddenly at his home at Uralla on Friday of Walter James King, a 57-year-old stock and station agent and former grazier.
Deceased was one of the district's best known and most respected residents. He was the son of the late W. King, and the late Mrs. J. Carrion, of Salisbury Plains.
He was one of the first to enlist for service in the Army in World War I and he had a remarkable war record. He was one of a party of Australians who were ambushed on Gallipoli and reported killed. It was not until the end of the war that his family learned that he had not been killed but seriously injured, and had been taken to Constantinople, and later to the Interior of Turkey, where he had been welltreated.
For many years Mr. King conducted a grazing property 17 miles east of Uralla. Only recently he put his son in charge and moved to Uralla where he took over the stock and station agency of the late Thomas Heagney.
The late Mr. King had been keenly interested in the affairs of Southern New England P. and A. Association, and he had been chief steward at Uralla show for many years. He had also served for a time as shire councillor.
When the Uralla Bowling Club was formed he took keen interest in that sport.
The late Mr. King was a prominent member of the Catholic community at Uralla and an active member of the Catholic Holy Name Society and the Australian Holy Catholic Guild.
He is survived by three daughters and four sons. They are Mesdames Houlahan (Moree), Calma (Salisbury Plains) and Sister Rita (Armidale Convent) and Oswald, Bernard, Keith and Tony (Uralla).
Surviving sister and brother are Mother Bendicta (Sydney) and Jack (Kentucky South).
Deceased is also survived by two step-sisters and a stepbrother, Mother Fredericka (Wagga) and Mrs. R. Carey (Bondi) and Joseph Carlon (Salisbury Plains).
The funeral at Uralla on Saturday was one of the largest seen in the town. Members of the A.H.C.G. were pallbearers. Rev. Father B. O'Brien officiated at St. Joseph's Church and at the graveside. T. Crowley and Son had charge of the arrangements.
"The Uralla Times",
August 24, 1950.
TRIBUTE TO LATE WALTER JAMES KING.
Sir- What a pity so many good things about a life are left unsaid until they decease. What inspiration and cheer such remarks would give in life if they had then been passed on. It seems our life is not truly appraised until after death and in many cases, years after.
I would crave space in the columns of the Times to place on record this well merited tribute from one who knew Mr. W.J. King from boyhood.
The recent passing of James King of "Oghratina", Salisbury Plains, Uralla, has removed from us one of our finest citizens, who took an active interest in all worthwhile matters in our town and district. He was a man of very high prinicples - one whose word was always his bond, and the slave of honour in all his dealings.
By his exemplary character he won the esteem and respect of all who knew him, and the confidence of all who had dealings with him. Quiet and unassuming in manner, he was a man of devout faith, and one who had made his guiding principle of life in dealing with his fellow man, to be straight, upright and true.
Cut off in the prime of life, this community is the poorer for the passing of one of his calibre. A splendid trail has been blazed for his boys to follow in and a memory of all that is good and best in life - unselfishness, love and kindness - has been bequeathed to his loved ones, and to our town and district is left the impress of a man who was too fine to stoop to anything mean or unworthy; who always placed duty first and did what he conceived to be right irrespective of consequences.
THE WALCHA NEWS
DECEMBER 11, 1958
SUDDEN DEATH OF MRS. E.K. KING
The death occurred suddenly at the home of her son, Mr. Bernie King, of St. Joseph's, Walcha of Mrs. Eva Kathleen King on Thursday last.
Mrs. King, who was 60 years of age a native of Uralla and a daughter of the late Patrick and Sarah O'Connor. She had lived at Uralla all her life until making her home with her soldier settler son, Mr. B.W. King, at "St. Joseph's," about five and a half years ago.
Her husband pre-deceased her nine years ago.
Mrs. King was a woman of a very happy disposition and made many friends in Walcha.
She took an active part in three womens' auxiliaries - the Red Cross, CWA and Hospital in Walcha and was also in those same three auxiliaries whilst she was in Uralla.
She is survived by a family of four sons and three daughters.
The sons are Messrs. Bernard King (St. Joseph's, Walcha), Oswald (Kentucky), Keith (Wollun), and Tony (Gravesend). The daughters are Mrs. Joan Holahan (Gravesend), Cecilia (Sister Rita of the Ursuline Convent, Toowoomba), Nursing Sister Carma King, (of St. Margaret's Hospital, Darlinghurst.)
Three brothers and one sister also survive in Messrs. Milo O'Connor (Injune), Desmond O'Connor (Dungowan), Brendon "Tom" O'Connor, a relieving postmaster, and Mrs. Cruse (Uralla).
A brother, Mr. Justin O'Connor predeceased her just two months ago.
The high esteem in which Mrs. King was held was exemplified by the large funeral on Saturday afternoon. Burial took place in the Catholic cemetery, following a service in St. Patrick's Church with the Rev. Father J.B. McKeon officiating at the church service and at the graveside.
Piddington's had charge of the funeral arrangements.