the Reverend William Eugene GILLAM - minister Christchurch Cathedral 1884
The following information on the Reverend William Eugene GILLAM was taken from NZETC
- his photo at that link
The Rev. Wllliam Eugene Gillam, vicar of Matthew's, was born in London in 1856 and is the son of Mr George Harry Gillam, architect, of that city. Mr. Gillam was educated at the primary schools and afterwards studied law at Ulverstone, Lancashire, for five years, but finally Rev. W. E. Gillam decided to join the Wesleyan ministry and became a student at Richmond Theological College, where he remained nearly three years
He left London in 1879, arrived at Wellington in the same year, and was appointed minister of the Durham Street Wesleyan Church, Christ-church.
In consequence of severe illness he was compelled to relinquish his ministerial duties for a considerable time and on recovery he joined the Church of England.
He was ordained deacon in 1882 and priest in 1884 at Christchurch Cathedral, by the late Primate, Bishop Harper.
Mr. Gillam was appointed curate of Ross and Okarito in Westland, where he remained two years, when he received the incumbency of St. Matthews, Christchurch, which was greatly enlarged during his cure.
He afterwards succeeded the late Archdeacon B. W. Dudley as incumbent of Rangiora, Canterbury and remained there for about five years, when he became incumbent of Temuka, near Timaru, and held that important post for eighteen months, when he was compelled to resign and leave for Auckland in consequence of a death and severe illness in his family.
On arriving in Auckland he was made vicar of Ellerslie and Epsom and during his incumbency the church at Epsom was enlarged and rebuilt and his parishioners erected a handsome vicarage at Ellerslie.
He became vicar of St. Matthews (Queen St, Auckland) in February 1900.
Mr. Gillam was a member of the standing committee of the Canterbury diocese for two years and also held a similar appointment in the Auckland diocese for one year.
He was a Freemason and was initiated in Ross Lodge in 1882 and afterwards held the office of Senior Warden in Lodge Temuka and chaplain of Royal Arch Chapter, Timaru
William served 3 times in WWI, serial Number 18/5 with:
* Chaplain Lieutenant Colonel, Chaplain Corps - Hospital Ship No. 1, Maheno, 10 July 1915
* Lieutenant Colonel, Hospital Ship No 2 Marama (Second Charter) Chaplains, NZEF, 10 November 1916
* Chaplain Lieutenant Colonel, Hospital Ship Marama (Second Sailing of Second Charter) Staff, Chaplains Corps, NZEF, 22 March 1917
In 1884 William married Mary Ann HAYTHORNTHWAITE
- they had 5 known children in New Zealand
1885 - George Gillam
1888 - Floyd Gillam
- in 1912 he was an Officer & Second Engineer on board the Allan liner, Corsican, which collided with an iceberg off Newfoundland
1890 - Eric Harper Gillam
1891 - Geoffrey England Gillam
1892 - Gertrude Lilian Gillam
- Gertrude married Herbert Clinton SAVAGE (1890-1957) in 1900
- Herbert was an architect. One of his earliest Auckland commissions was the Auckland branch of the New Zealand Trained Nurses Association Club Rooms in 1914. He was later known for, amongst other projects, the George Courts building in Karangahape Road and North Shore Hospital. At the time of his death he was Auckland director of the board of management of the State Advances Corporation and a member of the council of the Auckland Acclimatisation Society (read more at his link)
Rev William Eugene Gillam died on 23 July 1929 aged 73
- he was cremated at Waitakere Auckland
Mary Ann died on 2 January 1944 aged 93
- her ashes were buried at Plot: COLUMBARIUM NICHE WALL VLT Row Vlt, Plot 3VL