THREE SPRINGS, West Australia
THREE SPRINGS is located 313 km north of Perth, Western Australia on the Midlands Road. Wheat farming is the main industry.
The first Europeans to pass through the Three Springs area were Lieutenant George GREY and his party in 1839.
The next exploration of the area in 1846 was undertaken by brothers Henry Churchman, Francis 'Frank' Thomas and Augustus Charles GREGORY. This was a government sponsored trip to seek out new ?runs? for stock.
During 1867, while surveyor Charles Cooke HUNT was undertaking a road survey, he recorded the words ?Three Springs? at the site of the current town after some nearby springs. The name began to appear on official maps from then on and land in this region was soon taken up for pastoral leasing.
When the Midland railway from Midland Junction to [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walkaway,_Western_Australia]Walkaway[/UL] was opened in 1895, Three Springs was a siding on the line, and the area really opened up.
most of the following info was taken from the site:
Early History of THREE SPRINGS, there is a great deal more at that site including wonderful old photos
The district of Three Springs received its name after three freshwater springs situated about one mile north of what is now the Three Springs townsite
... The government had plans for an experimental farm west of the railway line, but instead threw it open for selection in 1906 under the name of the Kadathinni Agricultural Area. The first seven men who made an application for a holding were Walter BROWNING, John A. RICHARDSON, Charles F. THOMAS, Reuben CARTER, Ernest T. C. KLOPPER, Henry K. MALEY and Solomon S. MALEY
... The first to take up residence on his holding was Reuben CARTER, who arrived with his wife Leah and their son Herbert on Saint Patrick?s Day in 1906. After making a makeshift home Charles F. THOMAS, his wife Winifred and their six children shifted to their holding on 8 April 1906. Other settlers who followed included FRANKLIN Bros., Stephen J. H. MORGAN, Henry H. RICHADSON, William J. HOWARD, John G. WILSON, Gilford HAINES, James K. HEBITON, Ernest T. C. KLOPPER, Solomon S. MALEY, Charles C. MALEY and Isaac WALLACE.
... In 1907 the government decided to declare a townsite adjacent to the Three Springs Station, and it was gazetted as Kadathinni in 1908. It was also intended to change the name of the station when the townsite was named, but this was overlooked, and it remained Three Springs. The townsite was also locally known as Three Springs, and in 1946 the name was officially changed to Three Springs to conform with local usage
... Mrs Daisy STARLING, wife of the local railway ganger, acted as mail receiver as early as 1907. A postal service was later given by Mrs Blanche M. KOCH and Miss Claire KOCH, the mother and sister of the first state school teacher.
... In 1909 the Midland Railway Company surveyed and put up for sale a large area east of the railway line that had previously been leased by Michael Brown. This resulted in a second influx of settlers including Philip LYNCH, George R. WaATSON, Arthur D. GLYDE, BASTIAN Bros., Charles H. GOOCH, Henry J. PAGE, Frederick W. SLUGGETT, William OATS, Frederick HORNSBY, Franz L. ARNDT, Robert A. CALDOW, and William DEAN
... The district made rapid growth for several years. The first school was a private one on Charles F. THOMAS? farm, the teacher being Charles HOWES, known to the early settlers as ?Le Grondeur.? A State School was opened in the townsite in the latter part of 1908, the first teacher being Miss Dagmar KOCH, who in 1910 was succeeded by Arthur W. V. GREEN.
... The National Bank of Australasia Limited opened a receiving office in Three Springs in 1909, and a branch in 1926. Among the branch?s earliest managers were Maurice A. BUCK, Charles S. MacDONALD, John J. KELLEHER, R. Keith WHITLOCK and Christopher B. THOMAS.
... The first shop, which was a newsagency, was opened in 1909 by James J. BROWN and initially conducted by Charles McKAY (a Scot known as ?Old Mac?). Later in 1909 a small general store was opened by James J. M. GROFFIER and C. Septimus PIZEY, trading as Groffier & Pizey. In the same year ?Dave? David TODD opened a blacksmith?s shop. Dave was an excellent tradesman and helped in no small measure in the development of the district by making and mending farmers? requisites in the old horse team days. Also in 1909 Michael J. RYAN opened a general store in the building later occupied by the DUFFY family. Mick conducted his store successfully for several years and almost acquired fame by the quaint sign over his door, which told all and sundry that it was ?Mick Ryan?s Unlimited Credit Store.? Mick spent valuable time explaining to good buyers with no money that he wanted them to see unlimited credit.
... James J. BROWN and Stephen SHERIDAN opened a general store in partnership in late 1909 or early 1910, which they sold to William HARRIS in 1911, who afterwards sold it to James A. WHITELAW. Later again, in 1920, it was sold to the North Midlands Farmers? Co-Operative Company Limited, who used it for their store until having new premises built in 1941. Amongst the first managers of the Co-Operative store were Charles E. WRIGHT, John M. DONNES, James K. HEBITON Snr, Norman L. SKEWES, Harold BARNETT and Henry W. SMITH.
... By mid 1910 Mrs Blanche M. KOCH had opened a tearooms and boarding house known as the Three Springs Coffee Palace, which was successfully operated by herself until 1932 and then by her daughter Mrs Clare BLACK. Also during the year 1910 a bakery was established by Isaac WALLACE and Alfred J. CARLISLE opened a photographic studio.
... In 1910 Mrs Jane TERRY established the Commercial Hotel with a wine and beer license and in 1911, after extensive alterations, secured a general publican?s license. The hotel was later conducted by Lewis R. HASSEL, William H. ANGOVE, Nathaniel McKENZIE, Randolph BARNHART (who had new hotel premises built), Vincent P. TIPPETT, William A. DUNCAN and John J. THORPE.
... In 1911 another store was opened by Thomas J. BERRIGAN, who also carried machinery, stock, insurance and other agencies. Edmund K. BYRNE opened a butcher?s shop in 1911, which was conducted by his elder sons until 1919 when it was taken over by Thomas K. BICKELL.
... The early settlers of the Roman Catholic Church were cared for by Rev. Fathers O?HEIR, AHERN and SCANLON.
A Roman Catholic Church was built in 1911
... The first resident Methodist Missioner was appointed in 1914 and was Rev. James W. BAYLISS who was succeeded by Horace E. WEAVERS, James R. ELMS, Henry P. V. CHRISTIANSEN, Alexander W. JAMES and Thomas COOK.
... The spiritual welfare of the Anglican settlers was initially cared for by the Rev. Ernest GILL of DONGARA, a quaint old Anglican Minister, who made periodical visits as far as Three Springs. Rev. Gill was succeeded in Dongara by Rev. Walter B. KENWORHTY, who also visited Three Springs. A very keen worker for the local Anglican church in the early days was Mrs Blanche KOCH.
... A Dominican Convent, including a school, was established in Three Springs in 1917.
... The district?s first doctor was Dr James P. McALEER, later the Mayor of Geraldton, who commenced practice in Three Springs in 1921
... The Three Springs Parish was created in 1921, the first Parish Priest being the Rev. Father Mark L. HART, who was followed by Rev. Fathers P. James TYMONS, John FLAHAVAN, Michael LYNCH and Bryan GALLAGHER. In 1928 a rectory was built in Three Springs and E. Godfrey JAQUET travelled from England to became the district?s first resident rector.
... In 1926 a meeting was held to have a new official hospital built. The building committee consisted of Dr Mario A. MAYRHOFER (chairman), Keith S. GLYDE, Sydney C. GOOCH, Albert R. STRUTTON and James K. HEBITON (secretary).
... In 1928 the English, Scottish & Australian (E., S. & A.) Bank established its first Western Australian country branch at Three Springs. The local E. S. & A. Bank was managed by Clement L. EVANS for three years and then by Raymond SHAW.
... In 1929 an electric light and power station was established in the Three Springs townsite by Henry PARKIN & Son of Carnamah. The power station was later conducted by William A. ROGERS, Leslie J. CARTER and Arthur H. DARGIN.
... Others who represented Three Springs on the Carnamah District Road Board were Nathaniel McKENZIE, Edmund K. BYRNE and Evander W. FRANKLIN. In 1929 a Road Board was formed at Three Springs consisting of Three Springs, Arrino and Dudawa. The inaugural members of the Three Springs Road Board were Edward HUNT (chairman), Edmund K. BYRNE, William D. S. SMITH, Albert I. BROAD, William MUTTER, Charles F. THOMAS Snr and Henry J. W. SWEETMAN.
... The North Midlands District Hospital was opened four years later on 27 June 1930. The building cost ?4,410, of which ?2,204 was subsidised by the Government.
... The Anglican Church of Saint James in Three Springs was licensed on 15 April 1932 by the Most Rev. Henry F. Le FANU, the second Archbishop of Perth. The locally raised funds towards the Church were due largely to the enthusiasm of Mrs Maude F. JAMES. Following Rev. Jaquet?s departure the Parish was conducted by Rev. Edward CHARD and then Rev. Alfred J. TOOMEY.
having read about the people above, many of them can be seen in wedding photos, playing sport, at school, working on their land, or at their place of business on this SLIDE SHOW
... some of the people you see in the above slide-show are:
* the first school at Three Springs opened 2 November 1908. Originally known as Kadathinni School, renamed Three Springs in 1909. The 1908 pupils in photo: Jack HOWARD, Doc WILSON, Louis BROWN, ? MARR, Charlie THOMAS, ? HAINES, Steve HOWARD, teacher Miss Dagmar KOCH, Zoe WILSON, Hilda BRIMSON, George HAINES, Lettie THOMAS, Fanny BRIMSON, Lionel BRIMSON, Merle WILSON, Alma THOMAS, Irene HOWARD, Blick HAINES, Alda LEONARD, ? WILSON, Bert CARTER, ? MARR
* ARRINO SCHOOL - 1911: Ruby DODD, Vera FERGUSON, Arnold COPE, Sarah DODD, teacher Catherine GROFFIER, Percy STRAHAN, Cyril COUSINS, Alex FERGUSON, Paddy STRAHAN, Herman COPE, Dick PEARCE, Jack ALDFIELD, Daisy FERGUSON, Walter WILTON, Teddy PEARCE, Lance DURACK, Walter DURACK, Dorrie COUSINS
* the THREE SPRINGS SCHOOL - 1924: Nellie FRANKLIN, Edna BASTAN, Mary BLACK, Eileen LEONARD, G. STARLING, Grac HOWARD, Alice HOWARD, Harry DAWSON, Alf WILTON, Lance HOWARD, Gladys BASTIAN, Letta BRIMSON, M. PAGE, Elsie ARNDT, Alec MORGAN, L. HAINES, Archie HOWARD, Dorrie ARNDT, Connie BASTIAN, I. BRIMSON, Joyce BASTIAN, Ava WILTON, Hettie FRANKLIN, Anne MORGAN, Kevin BASTIAN, J. BRYNE, Jim HOWARD, Syd HOWARD, Len ANDERSON, Harry MORGAN, Ted DUFFY, Neil HOWARD, Charlie HOWARD, Evander FRANKLIN, Mostyn FRANKLIN, Vern WILTON
* the THREE SPRINGS FOOTBALL TEAM - 1924: Bert STRUTTON, Chris HAINES, Jack TURNER, Rudy ARNDT, Ned WELLS, Charlie THOMAS, Les BYRNE, Jim HEBITON, Arthur MORTIMOR, Eric JOYCE, Keith MOTTRAM, Mick COFFEY, Cecil MALEY, Nat McKENZIE, Frank ARNDT, Jim LYNCH, Gina PEARCE, Tom BRYNE
* the DUDAWA TENNIS CLUB - 1928: Pearl BARRETT, Ethel MUTTER, Alice STOKES, Mr J. SHEPPARD, Ruby CONNOLLY, Lorna STACEY, Dulcie MUTTER, Amy MUTTER, Alice CONNOLLY, Elvie CONNOLLY
* the ARRINO SCHOOL - 1929: Verden COUSINS, Phyllis McNEILL, Norman DAVEY, Helen HART, Jean SAUNDERS, Dois McNEILL, L. LINTHORNE, Alf PEARCE, Tom McNEILL, Graham HART, teacher Miss BUTLER
* the THREE SPRINGS C.W.A. - 1930: Violet JOYCE, Myra BASTIAN, Henrietta FRANKLIN, Mrs HUNTER, Mrs LITTLE, Mrs BROWNING, Anna ANDT, Mrs PETTIT, Mrs STACEY, George BICKFORD, Anne MORGAN, Fanny MALEY, May PETTIT
* the ARRINO TENNIS CLUB - early 1930s: Wally DURACK, Margaret TURNER, Margaret TURNER, Mary TURNER, Ruby CONNOLLY, Alice CONNOLLY, Alma CONNOLLY, Olive CONNOLLY, Ethel SAUNDERS, Austin DURACK, George KING, Mervyn COUSINS, Albert TURNER, Alex BARR, Ina DURACK, Lance DURACK, Len ANGEL
* pumping out the FLOODED HOTEL CELLAR - 1932: Lionel BRIMSON, Cecil MALEY, Richard HONNOR, Charlie HOARE, E. DAWSON, R. BARNHART, Geore FENTON, ? EVANS, Mick COFFEY, Arthur POTTS, James LYNCH, Harry BRYNE, Frank ARNDT
* the THREE SPRINGS FOOTBALL PREMIERSHIP TEAM - 1935: V. PETTIT, W. SIMPSON, S. HOWARD, F. McKENZIE, S. PERIJUAN, J. OLIVER, M. FRANKLIN, B. EVENSON, J. LYNCH, E. DUFFY, E. HUNT, W. HUMPHREY, P. BRIMSON, E.L. FRANKLIN, H. MORGAN, B. GILL, J. OWMAN, C. RATTDAY, N. WALLACE, C. HOWARD
* the THREE SPRINGS ROAD BOARD - 1936/1937: G. H. BICKFORD, C. E. MALEY, W. J. TURNER, A. F. N. SHEPPARD, A. I. BROAD, E. HUNT, C. F. THOMAS jnr, C. F. THOMAS snr
* the THRESS SPRINGS BASKETBALL TEAM - 1939: Charlotte ARNDT, Dorrie ARNDT, Cath WOLTER,
* the No2 C SQUADRON light Horse (Machine Gun) Regiment CARNAMAH TROOP - 1939: R. LINTHORNE, H. ARMSTRONG, D. BOLTON, H. KAU, W. JORDEN, R. PETERS, H. HUNT, W. WALLACE, L. ANGEL, A. BOTHE, R. BLACK, R. PAYNE, A. SPENCER, E. FRANKLIN, J. MORCOMBE, R. KERR, T. FAREL, R. SHERIDEN, E. HAIG, C. CHAPMAN, W. ATKINS, T. VIGU, W. STEVENS, T. FARELL, F. LUCAS, J. WALLACE, I. JOHNSON, D. BOWMAN, B. GILES, H. MORRISON, R. CLARK, B. LEE.
* the CARNAMAH TROUP, 25th Light Horse Battalion (Machine Guns) - 1941: Frank SHEPPARD, Wally BOOTH, Mick WALLACE, Bob BLACK, Ed DAVIES, Norm SHUTE, Bill STOKES, Harvey ARMSTRONG, Bill BUTLER, Vern WILTON, Vic FRANKLIN, Jim WEST, Laurie CHAPPEL, Charlie WASS, Tony VIGUS, Harry KAU, Bill BOTHE, George RAFFIN.
* ARRINO V.D.C. - 1942-1945: Keith WILSON, Bert FAWCETT, Harold STACEY, Vern FERGUSON, Teddy PEARCE, Reg O'NEIL, Alan MONEY, Ken MUTTER, Claude MALEY, Ted WILSON, Jack ALLEN
* the ARRINO PREMIERSHIP FOOTBALL TEAM - 1946: Ken MUTTER, Sonny STOKES, Arthur TUNBRIDGE, Ned STOKES, Mick ACKLEY, Walter DURACK, Joe STOKES, Mick BUCKLEY, Bill TURNER, Ken BYNDER, Norm McNEILL, Bill STOKES, Claude MALEY, Frank PEARCE, Mick PEARCE, Dick RYDER, Phillip TAYLOR, Stan PEARCE, Peter SWEETMAN
* the THREE SPRINGS FOOTBALL CLUB PREMIER - 1948: G. BROAD, M. BUSSENSCHUTT, V. CARTER, J. WILSON, C. TAYLOR, K. HUNTER, A. KNAP, G. KNAPP, J. MORGAN, H. HEADLAND, E. STEVENS, P. SINCLAIR, W. McKENZIE, Dud. HUNT, Don HUNT, A. BRENNAN, A. BROAD, V. C. DANN, P. BRENAN, J. OVERSBY, E. HUNT, H. MORGAN, N. McKENZIE, P. SINCLAIR
* the HOT SHOTS BAND at Debutante Ball - 1949: Tom PARKIN, Jack PAYNE, Colin STONE, Bronty WALDECK, Bill WOOLACOTT
* the THREE SPINGS//CARNAMAH Junior Farmers Club of 1950: Geoff MILLARD, Roger SINCLAIR, Barry DANIELS, Max HEBITON, Paddy BRENNAN, John CAMPBELL, Geoff BROAD, Michael McCARTHY, Cecil FOWLER, Peter SINCLAIR, Melva BUSSENSCHUTT, Von PERRY, Sally CLUNE, Margaret SINCLAIR, Pauline CLUNE, Neil BYRNE, Gwen WATERS, Rufie THOMAS, Bill GRIERSON, John WILSON, Jim HEBITON, Mr & Mrs Charles WEIR, Mrs I. BYRNE, Rhonda BUSSENSCHUTT, June THOMPSON, Joan BURGE, Pauline THOMAS, Gem MALEY, Nada HOWARD, Betty BARRETT, Helen LETCH, June BRIMSON, June MILLARD, Maxine McKENZIE, Don BARRETT, Em WATERS, T. REVELE, Adria BROAD, Keith MURRAY, Alby BATEMAN, Ron MURRAY
see also the THREE SPRINGS CEMETERY