Titus Russ 1841-1874
Titus RUSS was born in St.George, London on the 20 March 1841, the son of Absolom RUSS 1804-1861 and his wife Clementina 1814-1882 both from England and both died in Western Australia. Titus arrived in the colony in 1853 with his brother Absolom 1849-1927 from Tintinhull, Somerset. They moved to Dongara in the early 1860's to work for pastoralist Edward Hamersley.
On the 27 October 1864 at Greenough, Western Australia Titus married Caroline WINTLE. Caroline had been born in London on the 12 August 1844 and she too was a new arrival in the Colony.
Using a wheel barrow to cart stone from the quarry by the Irwin River, Titus built his house which still stands today and has been occupied by several generations Of the RUSS family.
The cottage today is owned by The Irwin District Historical Society.
Son Robert used the backyard for a market garden and sold the produce in his shop next door, where he also operated the newsagency.
The children of Titus and Caroline were:-
1. Clementina b:6 March 1866 at Lower Irwin, and died 8 April 1942 m. Henry Peach LINTHORNE 1867-1936 in Western Australia on 2 July 1887. The children of this marriage All born in Dongara were :-
Grace Ella LINTHORNE b:18 Dec.1887 Dongara d: 14 Jan. 1888 Dongara
Eric Henry Raymond LINTHORNE b:1890 Midland Junction d: 9 May 1935 Arrino m."Gertrude" Idahlia Gertrude CRIDDLE 1892-1933 at Irwin in 1911
Irwin Montague LINTHORNE b:1893 Dongara d: 1943 m. Elizabeth RUSS in 1916
Stillborn M LINTHORNE 1894 ? 1894
Doris Roberta LINTHORNE b:1902 Dongara d: 20 January 1979
2. Walter b: 10 May 1867 Dongara and died 3 December 1936 in Perth. m. Mary Ann Millicent NORTON 1876-1953 at Mingenew, WA on the on the 26 June 1907. one child of this marriage :-
Keith Clements Russ b: 24 December 1909 Fremantle d:8 October 1989
3. Absolom b: 10 July 1869 and died 17 July 1869 at Dongara, WA
4. Caroline Elizabeth 16 July 1870 Dongara died 15 January 1944 in Perth. m. Ernest Alfred FIELD 1868-1946 at Dongara on the 12 September 1894. The children of this marriage were:-
Veronica Ernestine FIELD 1899 ? 1970
Pearl Elizabeth FIELD 1902 ? 1971
Kelsie Alfreda FIELD 1905 ? 1989
Thelma Jean FIELD 1908 ? 1992
5. Robert b: 12 April 1873 in Dongara and died on the 8 March 1943 in Irwin, Western Australia. m. Sarah Winifred PLESTER 1888-1954 at Dongara on the 19 March 1913. The children of this marriage were:-
Alice Denison Russ 1914 ? 1951
Irene Russ 1916 ? 1964
Laurence Charles Russ 1918 ? 1969
Ivan Robert John Russ 1922 ? 1999
The photograph below shows Robert RUSS standing in the doorway of his fruit and vege shop at Dongara