<< Previous - Next >>

trying to find great-great grandfather. don't know first or middle name. my great grandfather was named henry hughe king, born 1868; died 1949 that's all I have. he was married to marie m. king born 1867; died 1953. buried in jackson county, Alabama. do

Question by boarhog

Viewed: 670 times
by boarhog Profile | Research | Contact | Subscribe | Block this user
on 2010-06-12 17:25:29

boarhog has been a Family Tree Circles member since Jun 2010. is researching the following names: KING.

Do you know someone who can help? Share this:


by Jennifer652 on 2010-06-17 00:20:19

Given your great-grandfather's age, I'd look in the 1880 census, then the 1870 census. Note the name of the township and/or county that he is in, and look for your great-great-grandfather to be somewhere nearby.

Try to find records of his birth, marriage, and death because sometimes the parents were listed on them. Also, if you know that they may have gone to church somewhere, you could check there.

If you check the 1860 census for people who lived in the same county as your great-grandfather, then that might give you an idea of where to look for a possible link. If his father fought in the Civil War, then there may be some kind of record on him, and maybe a pension given to him or his wife.

Sometimes I use a search engine and just type in my ancestor's name and anything that comes to mind like "Asa Fleming inherited" (no quotes), hoping to come up with a will, a deed of sale, a long lost story, a connection to a friend/family member. Or anything that mentions the person that I haven't seen before.

Register or Sign in to comment on this journal.