1bobbylee on FamilyTreeCircles - journals

1bobbylee on Family Tree Circles

sort: Date Alphabetical
view: full | list

Journals and Posts

"Name this poem and poet"

The day is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
The vine still clings to the mouldering
But at every gust the dead leaves fall,
And the day is dark and dreary.

My life is cold, and dark, and dreary;
It rains, and the wind is never weary;
My thoughts still cling to the mouldering
But the hopes of youth fall thick in the
And the days are dark and dreary.

Be still, sad heart! and cease repining;
Behind the clouds is the sun still shining;
Thy fate is the common fate of all,
Into each life some rain must fall,
Some days must be dark and dreary.

Can someone out there name this poem and poet.
The winner will receive an "atta girl" or "atta boy" reward.
Among our members there has got to be "poet" scholars.

6 comment(s), latest 7 years, 1 month ago

"AMERICA NEEDED A HERO" - 1933 - 1945

Our "American Hero" stepped forward in 1933. It was Franklin Delano Roosevelt, America's 32nd President of the United States of America.

Born January 30, 1882 Hyde Park, New York
Died April 12, 1945 Warm Springs, Georgia

In August, 1921 Franklin D. Roosevelt contacted an illness diagnosed at the time as polio; which resulted in permanent paralysis from the waist down.


Setting priorities for his first term in 1933 was easy for President Franklin D. Roosevelt. He had to save America from economic ruin. He had to at least begin to pull America out of our Great Depression. He did, and he did it during his first hundred days.

On his first day in office, March 4, 1933 FDR called Congress into a special session. He then proceeded to drive a series of bills through Congress that reformed the U.S. banking industry, saved American agriculture and allowed for industry recovery.

At the same time, FDR wielded the executive order in creating the Civilian Conservation Corp, the Public Works Administration, and the Tennessee Valley Authority. These projects put tens of thousands of Americans back to work building dams, bridges, highways and much needed public utility systems. By the time Congress adjourned the special session on June 16, 1933, Roosevelt's agenda the "New Deal" was in place. America, though still struggling, was off the mat and back in the fight.

Not all of the "New Deal" worked and it took World War II to finally solidify the nation. Yet, to this day, Americans still grade the initial performance of all new presidents against Franklin D. Roosevelt's "First hundred Days."

During their first hundred days, all new presidents try to harness the carryover energy of a successful campaign by at least starting to implement the main programs and promises coming from the primaries and debates.

During some part of their first hundred days, Congress and the press generally allow new presidents a "Honeymoon Period," during which public criticism is held to a minimum. It is during this totally unofficial and typically fleeting grace period that new presidents often try to get bills through Congress that might face more opposition later in the term.

- President Roosevelt dominated the American political scene, not only during the twelve years of his Presidency, but for decades afterward. He orchestrated the realignment of voters that created the fifth party system. FDR's New Deal coalition united labor unions, big city machines, white ethnics, African Americans and rural white Southerners. President Roosevelt's diplomatic impact also resonated on the world stage long after his death, with the United Nations and Bretton Woods as examples of his administration's wide-ranging impact. President Roosevelt is consistently rated by scholars as one of the greatest U.S. Presidents. -

Source: About.Com US Government Info
Source: Wikipedia The Free Encyclopedia

Q: What is the Fifth Party System?

A: The Fifth Party System refers to the era of American national politics that began with the New Deal in 1933. This era emerged from the realignment of the voting blocs and interest groups supporting the Democratic Party into the New Deal Coalition following the Great Depression.

Q: What does the term Bretton Woods mean?

A: An agreement signed by the original United Nations members in 1944 that established the International Money Fund (IMF) and the post-world War II international monetary systems not fixed.

"Pass The Taters Please"

The heat from the hot asphalt road had formed a wave-like distortion. It was hot. Extremely hot! Hemingway S.C. was being scorched.
Uncle was driving leisurely down the black top county road. I was perspiring profusely. No car air conditioner in those days. Uncle was the pastor of a small rural country church. We were enroute to one of his parishioners. To the left and right were corn and tobacco crops. They seemed to be lifting their leaves upward toward heaven. Hungrily longing with anticipation for the taste of cool rain water.

The farm areas for months had been experiencing drought. A small breeze was stirring. Rain clouds were forming. Relief seemed to be on the way.

At the previous Wednesday night prayer meeting, my Uncle called on one of the brethern to lead us in prayer. Slowly, from the front pew arose a white haired gentleman. "Many years have passed. As I remember, it went something like this, "Dear Lord, We need rain real bad. The crops are drying up. Some of us are facing ruin. Have mercy Lord, and praise your holy name." It was a short prayer of seeking and praise.

Uncle and I had been invited for supper at the McCurry farm home. My Uncle was the pastor of their small Baptist chuch. We turned off the county highway onto a dry, dusty dirt road. At the end stood a two story weathered farm house. The porch with bannisters wrapped itself around the front and side. As with most farms in the Hemingway area, crops surrounded the home and buildings. Farm soil was precious. Their main yearly income depended on what was grown. "Butch, These folks have a son around about your age." I don't remember, but I'm sure I smiled with anticipation.

Our host, a rugged farmer with dusty overalls, approached us with a big friendly smile. "Welcome, I've been expecting ya'll." These farm folks were polite and sincere. They were hard workers from daylight to sunset. I can't remember one who didn't have a friendly personality. He apologized for his wife not being there to greet us. An illness had overtaken him. His wife had replaced him in the fields. It was late in the afternoon when mom and son slowly walked toward the house. She carried two hoes on her shoulder. A large brimmed straw hat adorned and protected her head and face. The hot sun had been unmerciful. She wore a faded print dress and high laced shoes. With a lovely smile, she welcomed us warmly. She patted her husband on the shoulder, and asked how he was feeling. I remember her looking upward. A smile formed on her sweet face. The breeze had picked up. The rain clouds that I had noticed in the afternoon were becoming darker. This lovely woman's face held my attention. But, It was there. The tired eyes and weary voice.

"Ya'll sit down. I'll bring ya'll something to drink." She arrived with big glasses of sweet iced tea. That was the best tea I had ever tasted. Their son was unhitching the mules. Checking them over, rubbing them down, watering, and feeding them. These farmers took care of their animals. He arrived and joined us. He finished the tea off in one or two gulps. Like a flash, he was gone and returning with another large glass of tea. He was a quiet red headed farm boy. He had more freckles than I. He wore the customary overalls, no shirt, and wore high laced brogan shoes. He was fifteen years old. A year older than myself.

Their son gave me a tour of the immediate farm. Corn was in long rows which stretched onward and onward. I was introduced to the farm animals. For a "city slicker" like myself, this was fun and exciting. Soon, we were all seated around the large rustic kitchen table. This dear farm lady prepared her food carefully. Fresh from the field to the table. She kept bringing bowl after bowl of vegetables and a big platter of golden brown fried chicken. The biscuits were steaming hot with fresh churned butter and honey on the side. I had never seen so much food! Excuse me, I am getting ahead of myself. The blessing hasn't been said. I was starving! Uncle Ernest was asked to say the blessing. It went something like this - "Dear Lord, Thank you for this wonderful bounty. (I had to agree with him.) Bless this home, this wonderful family." He prayed for a steady rain, he prayed for the crops. He prayed for the farm animals. "I believe he missed the chickens." He was covering it all! I was sitting there squirming. I was so hungry! "My stomach was doing battle with my backbone." "Oh, Dear Reader, during this lengthy prayer, one could not believe the delicious aromas bursting forth in all directions from this wonderful fresh food! Ham, chicken gravy, mashed potatoes, carrots smothered in churned butter, hot and steaming butter milk biscuits. There was okra, squash, cabbage, sliced juicy tomatoes, cucumber salad. For dessert, apple pie." Uncle was still praying. He did not rush his prayers. Sincerity belonged to Uncle Ernest. Finally, the amen was given. Bowl after bowl was passed around the table. I had a smile on my face. This awesome farm family made us feel so welcome... Feeding their pastor and his nephew was their way of showing their love and appreciation.

The red headed farm boy was really shoveling the food down. "How could one person eat so much?" He worked from sun-up to sun-down. He needed all the fuel he could get. Suddenly, he stood up and wiped the milk ring from around his mouth. "Well, It sure was nice meeting ya'll. I am going to bed now. Have to get up before daylight and milk the cows." Then, He was gone.

I was so full. I thanked the dear farm lady for the best meal I had ever tasted. She nodded her head, said thank you, and smiled sweetly. I detected some weakness in her voice. This wonderful lady had worked in the fields under a blazing hot sun. She had taken the time to prepare this wonderful meal. She must have been exhausted. She still had work to do. Her husband, by his actions toward her left any doubt that he loved her very much.

Uncle and I fixed the same breakfast each morning. Cream of wheat, scrambled eggs, sausage, milk and coffee. We had a sandwich for lunch. A drive into Hemingway, S.C. had us eating supper at the local diner. You can imagine how thankful we were for a delicious home cooked farm meal.

As we stepped out onto the porch, a cool steady rain was falling. I thought of the elderly white haired gentleman at church Wednesday night and his humble short prayer of seeking and praise. God was bountiful. The following day, it rained all day and several days thereafter.

** This adventure with my Uncle Ernest happened during my June summer vacation when I was fourteen years old. This story is part of my other short story, "Keep singing Uncle"

13 comment(s), latest 5 years ago

Emily Geiger - Female Patriot

We hear a great deal about the heroes of the American Revolutionary War. Very seldom are we introduced to the exploits that women played. Written herein is the true story of a gallant female patriot - Emily Geiger -

Name: - Emily Geiger 1760 - 1825
Father: - John Geiger 1721 - ?
Mother: - Emily Murphy
Spouse: - John Threewitts
Birth: 9 May 1749
Father: - Peter Threewitts - 1714 - 1801
Mother: - Amy Bobbitt - 1718 - 1823
Marriage: - 18 Oct 1789

At the time, General Greene (Commander - Southern American forces)retreated before Lord Rawdon (2nd in Commander to Lord Cornwallis) from Ninety-Six S.C. When he had passed Broad River, he was very desirous to send an order to General Sumter (Leader of American partisans) then on the Wateree; to join him, that they might attack Rawdon, who had divided his forces. But the country to be passed through was for many miles full of blood-thirsty Tories (American partisan loyal to England) and it was a difficult matter to find a man willing to undertake so dangerous a mission. At length a young girl - Emily Geiger - presented herself to General Greene proposing to act as the messenger; General Greene, both surprised and delighted, closed with her proposal. He accordingly wrote a letter and gave it to her. At the same time, communicating the contents verbally, to be told to Sumter in case of accident. Emily was young, but as to her person or adventures on the way, we have no further information, except that she was mounted on horseback, upon a side-saddle, and on the second day of her journey was intercepted by Lord Rawdon's scouts. Coming from the direcion of Greene's army, and not being able to tell an untruth without blushing, she was shut up; and the officer in command having the modesty not to search her at the time, he sent for an old Tory matron as more fitting for the purpose. Emily was not wanting in expedients, and as soon as the door was closed, she ate up the letter piece by piece. After awhile, the matron arrived. Upon searching carefully, nothing was found of a suspicious nature about the prisoner. She would disclose nothing. Suspicion being thus allayed, the officer-in-command of the scouts suffered Emily to depart whither she said she was bound. She took a route somewhat circuitous to avoid further detection, and soon after struck into the road to Sumter's camp. She arrived in safety. She told her adventures, and delivered Greene's verbal message to Sumter, who in consequence soon after joined the main army at Orangeburg, S.C.

Had Sumter not received the note from General Greene, It is surmised that Greene's army would have been totally defeated at Eutaw Springs. And in turn, would have delayed gthe war in the South Carolina to linger on for months. Young female patriot, Emily Geiger saved many lives on both sides.

Emily Geiger afterwards, married a rich planter on the Congaree. She has been dead thirty-five years, but it is trusted her name will descend to posterity among those patriotic females of the American Revolution

She lived in the lower part of what is now Lexington County, S.C. She was buried near her home. In August, 1930, the D.A.R. (Daughters of the American Revolution) chapter of Johnston, S.C. marked her grave.

Sources: The Women of the American Revolution. NY: Baker and Scribner, 1848 (Vol I & II; - 1850 (Vol III) Courtesy of and thanks to H. Imrey.
Source: The Lexington SC Dispatch - Wed. Jan 16, 1901. Article by
W.T. Booker.

2 comment(s), latest 7 years, 2 months ago

Keep Singing Uncle

* When I was fourteen, My Uncle invited me to spend a month with him in his parsonage home at Hemingway, S.C. Uncle was a Baptist preacher. I was happy and excited to be traveling to a different state, town, and community.

Aunt Corina, Uncle's wife, was an elementary school teacher. She was spending the summer at Appalachian State Teachers College, Boone, N.C. taking additional courses to obtain a higher educational degree.

I am obliged to my readers to describe my Aunt and Uncle's humane and physical characteristics. My aunt was not the epitome of stoicism, but quite the opposite. She was vibrant and joyful. Her laughter was exuberant and happy. She wore modest, attractive and colorful dresses. Her favorite color was blue. She always wore a gold chain and cross. She had sparkling blue eyes. Her hair was black and curly. My Aunt did apply her bright red lip stick liberally and with care. She would laugh gleefully as she planted a big red kiss on my cheek. Needless to say, I had a red lip print. When talking to me about my school and school work, she would look intently into my eyes. Her eyeglasses perched on her nose. I felt her concern and love. She's gone now, but I will always have loving memories of Aunt Corina.

My Uncle was an intense Southern Baptist minister. While preaching, he did not bellow from the pulpit. His speech was polished and authorative. He was lean and very tall. His hair, graying around the temples. He was so reed like that his suit sort of hung loosely around his frame. He wore silver framed eyeglasses which highlighted his ministerial image. Uncle pastored a rural country church. Tobacco and corn fields surrounded the simple brick structure. I was impressed with the steeple and bell tower. Both were painted white and would glisten in the bright summer sun.

It was a hot muggy day as we drive toward Uncle's home in S.C. It's comforting to have nice memories linger in one's mind. This delightful memory occured when we stopped to get refreshments at a rustic country store. The small store was surrounded with lenghty rows of cotton. It seemed as if the rows went on and on. Our sodas came from an aged red Coca Cola cooling box. A block of ice had been added. The frigid water would almost reach the top of the glass soda bottles. I always looked for one with slushy ice. My cola became a late fifties "slushy." After riding in a hot car, the frigid coca cola was delicious.

We continued southward toward Hemingway, S.C. The radio did not work. Seemed like they never did in those days. While Uncle was visiting in our home, My Dad, a choir director at our church was teaching him in the fundamentals of practicing and singing a simple musical scale. It went like this, DO RA ME FA SO LA TE DO. To be sung from low notes to high notes. Uncle was not blessed with a peaceful and soothing singing voice. Sort of like the sound of an untalented person trying to sing the "The Star Spangled Banner." "You've heard the sound, I'm sure." This supposedly talented artist in a high pitched voice screeching for the notes. It was comforting to me that our dear "Old Glory" flag was not tattered and left in shreds from the concussion! Uncle was practicing the notes as we rode along. DO RA ME ME ME FA? My Dad had written the note scales on a piece of paper for him. He would glance at it and then the road. Away he would go! DO RA ME FA SO LA LA LA DO? I was hoping that a wayward cow did not become entangled in Uncle's car grill. DO RA ME FA SO LA LA LA - I wanted to stick my fingers in my ears. "Please, will this ever stop?!" DO RA ME FA FA FA - Dad could sing it frontward and backward. Uncle had not mastered this yet. Would he? I don't think so! Being a very small church, He had the duties of teacher, preacher, and choir director. He wanted to impress his choir by introducing them to something new. With practice, He envisioned his faithful choir singing like an early morning turtle dove. Over and over. "Now again, DO RE ME FA FA."

I was so relieved when we finally pulled into the parsonage drive. After unpacking, showering, and a change of clothes, we had to move fast. "Bobby, We need to hurry, worship and choir practice begins at six." I groaned inwardly.

It was a country church. Tobacco and corn backing up on all sides. These farm folks made their living entirely from farming. They didn't waste farm soil. Uncle began introducing me as his nephew. The men were dressed in clean overalls. The women were neat and attractive in their printed dresses. I was the center of their attention. They would hug me, pat me, and comment on my red auburn hair and "freckles!" "Oh no, I was self conscious of my freckles!" The women were sweet and kind. The men looked strong and rugged. They greeted me open heartedly. As they shook my hand, I could feel the many hard and accumulated years of labor. The hands were calloused and strong.

Someone was ringing the church bell. It was loud and seemed to be saying, "Get a move on, you're going to be late!" The choir members were happy to see each other and engaged in joyful conversations.

My Uncle knew me better than I thought he did. He pointed toward me, and the front pew. He took his stance in front of the choir. He made the announcement, "Tonight we begin our first class in learning a musical note scale." Again, I groaned. The choir members listened intently and obediently. They wanted to make their preacher proud. They were smiling and waiting with anticipation. "Just think, before long they would be singing in raptured harmony." Maybe not raptured, but harmony. Uncle raised his arm to begin. "Now sing after me, DO RA ME FA SO SO?" At this point, he reached into his coat pocket and retrieved the note dad had given him. "Okay, DO RA ME FA SO LA TE DO. "Now choir, DO RA ME FA SO LA..." Those obedient and smiling choir members tried so hard. They screeched and shreaked. Even at my young adolescent age, I was touched. Uncle seemed determined that these sweet souls were going to learn this scale. "Again," he says, with a hint of frustration, DO RA ME FA." Being a typical teenager, I found most things funny. I dared not laugh. No way! Finally, the pain subsided. What followed is something I will never forget. Uncle announced, "Next Wednesday, we will learn the scale backwards." Reading from his wrinkled note, Uncle demonstrated, "DO TE LA SO FA ME RA DO." "No way!" The choir members were silent as they stared into the distance with glazed eyes. Later, "It hit me!" Probably, more than a few of these wonderful people could not read. They were so kind and determined.

"Uncle?" "When are we going to the beach?" Myrtle Beach, S.C. was only twenty five miles away. "I tell you what Bobby" said Uncle. "If you learn to sing the musical scale DO RA ME FA SO LA TE DO frontwards and backwards, We go to the beach." I went to my room and in no time at all, I was back. "I can sing it Uncle." You guessed it. DO RA ME FA SO LA TE DO - DO TE LA SO FA ME RA DO. He was astonished! It was a cinch! I had heard my Dad many times singing in front of the mirror. He had his pretended choir, leading and practicing - You guessed it. I will spare you all from singing it again. "Okay Bobby, We leave for the beach in the morning."

Uncle had made arrangements to have a church family join us at the beach. Their daughter was about my age. We swam and splashed each other in the surf. It was fun when we would jump up and ride a big wave as close to the shore as we could. I was smitten. This very pretty country girl put a soft, warm glow in my heart. We had so much fun that memorable day long ago. All to soon, the vacation and my little sweetheart had to be left behind.

*This story occured in the summer of 1958. I was fourteen years old.

5 comment(s), latest 6 years, 10 months ago

Col. Philemon Waters - Patriot and Adventurer

To all of you who are related to Col Philemon Waters or think you may be, might find this narrative interesting and enjoyable.

Col. Waters was born, 1 Sep. 1734 - D 29 Mar. 1796 In Newberry County, South Carolina. The Colonel came to Newberry SC sometime before the Revolutiony War.

In 1754, he enlisted in the regiment raised by the State of Virginia to maintain her rights to the territory on the Ohio, then occupied by the French. The regiment was commanded by Col. Fry; his second in command. The regiment was commanded by Lt. Colonel George Washington. He in advance of the regiment, took post at the Great Meadows with two companies. In one of them, it is believed was Philemon Waters. With these companies, Col. George Washington surprised and captured a party of French, who were on their way to surprise him. The commander, M. Jumonville, was killed. On the march of the residue of the regiment to join Lt. Col Washington at the Great Meadows, Col Fry died, and the command devolved on Lt Col Washington. He erected at the Great Meadows a stockade fort (afterwards called Fort Necessity) to secure the provisions and horses; and after leaving a sufficient guard to maintain the post, he pushed on with the balance of his command, less than 400 men, to attack and dislodge the French at Fort du Quesne, at the confluence of the Allegheny and Monongahela Rivers (now Pittsburgh). They were halted "at the westernmost foot of Laurel Hill," thirteen miles from the Great Meadows, by the intelligence of the friendly Indians, who informed them in their figurative language, "that the enemy were rapidly advancing as "the pigeons in the woods." A retreat was deemed necessary, and accordingly Col. Washington fell back to Fort Necessity, and commenced a ditch around it. Before it was completed, the enemy 1,500 strong, under the oommand of Monsieur De Villier, appeared and attacked the fort. The action was continued from ten in the morning until dark. The Frenchman demanded a parley, and offered terms of capitulation. The first offers were rejected, "but in the course of the night articles were signed by which the fort was surrendered. The conditions were that its garrison should be allowed the honors of war- should be permitted to retain their arms and baggage, and to march without molestation into the inhabitated parts of Virginia.

An incident in the life of Col Waters occured, which rests altogether in tradition, but which I have no doubt is true, from the source from which it is derived. It was stated to have occured at Fort Necessity during the siege. During the occupation of Fort Necessity, the sentinel had been night after night shot down at a particular post. Waters was detailed in his turn for that station; knowing its dangers, he loaded his musket with slugs or buckshot, and took his post, "wide awake." In the course of his turn, he heard some noise like the grunting of a hog, and observing by the moonlight, at the same time, the tall grass of the prarie shaking; as if some animal or person was moving therein, he put to use his own expression, "Three hails in one." fired and killed two indians and three Frenchmen! They were on all fours behind each other, stealthily approaching the sentinel, when his well directed fire defeated so fatally their purpose. On the surrender of the post, the French commander inquired for the sentinel, who had occupied the post, fired without hailing, and killed the two indians and three Frenchmen, with a view of excepting him (as it was supposed) from the amesty granted to the garrison. Washington, unwilling to expose his gallant young soldier for "once" spoke falsely. He had fallen, he said, in the attack and defense of the post. Waters stood behind his Colonel when the question was made and the answer given, with his rifle well loaded, primed and cocked, and if, said he, "He had said Phil Waters, he would never have spoken again.

He was one of the brave Virginians who fought in the diastrous battle of the Monongahela, where Braddock was defeated and slain. Of them Washington said, "The Virginia companies behaved like men and died like soldiers; for I believe out of three companies on the ground that day, scarce thirty men were left alive.

Whether Waters remained in the Virginia army till Washington's resignation in 1758, I do not know. He removed to South Carolina before the Revolutionary War. At its commencement, he lived in Newberry, near the ferry on Saluda River, once well known as Water's Fery, now Holly's. In that time "which tried men, and showed how far professions were supported by acts" he took the part of Liberty and Independence. His sword, which was then drawn, returned not to its scabbard until both were won and secured. He was in the "Battle of Stono" on 26th of June, 1779. He was then a Captain, and on the retreat from the attack made on the British lines, he observed an American field piece, which had been abandoned by its officers and men. He directed his men (Some of whom are remembered , to wit: John Adam Summer, Samuel Lindsey, Thomas Lindsey, and James Lindsey) to lay hold of the drag ropes and carry it off. This was done and the gun was saved. It seems from the records in the Comptroller's Office, that he was a captain in Thomas's regiment, General Sumter's brigade State Troops, to the end of the war in 1783. It seems, too, he served in 1782 as a captain under General Perkins (The fighting Presbyterian). His nephew Philemon Waters Jr. better know as "Ferry Phil" was under his command at the battle of "Eutaw" (This was the battle where Lt Col William Washington - cousin of General George Washingon - was captured and taken prisoner.) After the action was over, said to his uncle, "Uncle do you call this a battle or a scrimmage?" It was supposed in this battle that Waters was a major; the tradition is, that he "then" commanded as such. But it does not seem from the public documents, he had any such commission. In some of the partisan affairs with which the country abounded after the fall of Charleston SC in the fall of 1780, he was under the command of Colonel Brandon.

He captured a man (a Tory) peculiarly obnoxious to Colonel Brandon. After this skirmish when the prisoners were presented to the Colonel, he on seeing Waters' prisoner, drew his sword, and was in the act of rushing upon him to slay him. Waters threw himself between them, and announced to his superior that the prisoner was under his protection, and "should not be harmed." The purpose of vengeance was not abandoned, and Capt. Waters was peremptorily ordered to stand out of the way. "Africa" said he to his servant. "bring me my rifle; no sooner said than done. With his rifle in his hand, and an eye that never quailed, he said to the colonel, "Now strike the prisoner - the instant you do, I will shoot you dead." The blow was not struck; the prisoner was saved.

After the battle of Eutaw, and after the British had been driven to the lines of Charleston, Waters erected a block house at his plantation at Waters Ferry, Saluda, SC

Col Waters encouraged the deluded Tories to come in, lay down their arms, and become peaceful citizens. Many, very many afterwards valuable citizens, were thus saved to the district and State.

After the war, he was for some time Collector of the Taxes, in a part of Ninety Six District. He, as such, made his return to the Treasury in Charleston,and paid over to him the money collected. Money was in gold or silver, or indents. Traveling was performed on horseback, and always in some peril. In the country between Dorchester and Charleston this was particulary the case. a gang of robbers headed by a notorious fellow named Primus. They robbed all who passed the road by night, or who, like wagoners, were compelled to encamp within their accustomed walks. Waters passing with a considerable sum of public money in his saddle bags, was overtaken by night in this suspicious district. He was armed, having his trusty pistols in the holsters before him. Thinking about the possible danger, he involuntarily laid his hand upon a pistol, cocked and drew it half out of the holster. As his horse passed a large pine tree, the bridle was seized, and a robber stood by the side; in one instant Waters' pistol was drawn and thrust into the side of the assailant, it fired, and, with an unearthly yell and scream, he let go the bridle and fled. Waters put spurs to his horse, and galloped to the house where he intended to lodge some two miles distant; there he obtained lights and assistance, and returned to the spot where he had been attacked. There they found a club and a large knife, and blood.
Following its tracks a short distance, a large powerful robber was found shot through the body and already dead. This gang of robbers was at last driven from their fastnesses in the swamps by the Catawba Indians, who were hired by the planters to hunt them. Their leader, Primus, and perhaps others were hanged.

Col. Waters was an eminent surveyor-many of the grants in Newberry District were surveyed by him. He and William Caldwell located the courthouse square of Newberry District. He was County Court Judge from 1785 to 1791. He was repeatedly a member of the Legisture. He was also a member of the convention which ratified the Constituion of the United States. He was opposed to it. Being one of the "ultra Republican party" of that day; but fortunately his opposition was vain, and like his great countryman, Patrick Henry, he lived long enough under it to rejoice at his defeat. He was Colonel of a regiment of militia in the Fork between Broad and Saluda Rivers, from the peace in 1783 until the reorganization of the militia in 1794. He was not re elected; his opponent John Adam Summer, was elected colonel of the 8th, now the 39th regiment.

When President George Washington, in 1791 made the tour of the Southern States, Colonel Waters met him at the Juniper, on his way from Augusta to Columbia. It was the meeting of brother soldiers, who,together, had faced many dangers and shared many difficulties. Both had been great shots with the rifle, and on a challenge from the President, their last meeting on earth was signalized by a trial of their skill off-hand, at a target one hundred yards distant, with the same unerring weapon. Who was conqueror in this trial is not remembered.

Colonel Waters died in 1796. He was taken sick at Newberry, and was carried in a litter by the way of O'Neall's (Now Bobo"s) mills on Bush River, now the property of Chancellor Johnstone. To the writer of this sketch, though then a mere child, the passage of Bush River through the ford by men bearing the litter, seems to be present, indistinct it is true, like an imperfectly remembered dream.

Colonel Waters left four children - Philemon B Waters, Wilks B Waters, Rose, the wife of Colonel John Summers, and Mrs Farrow, the wife of William Farrow of Spartanburg. One of the Colonels grandchildren, John W Summers, was a well know citizen of Newberry, and ought to be gratefully remembered by all who prize the Greenville and Columbia Railroad, as a great public work, both for his energy and success as a contractor.

Source: "Annals of Newberry S.C."
Author: John Belton O'Neall, LL.D
Part I

Originally published Newberry SC 1892
O'Neall - 1793 - 1863 -

8 comment(s), latest 6 years ago

"Looking for Vaughan SC - Willis SC & Tenn.

I am searching for my great great grandmother's maiden name.
Name: Sarah (Sallie) Vaughan South Carolina. I believe her father
father and mother and family were from Taylors, SC. (But
not 100% sure on this. Married William Waters - They resided
in Chick Springs township - Taylors, SC, Greenville Cty.
Sarah was 10 yrs older than William. Appx yr. Sarah was born
is: 1820. Does anyone know Vaughan's with this name, or

Name: Caroline Wills Waters. MY great grandmother. Maiden name,
Willis. Her father's name is William Deyton or Deaton from
Tenn. Her mother's name is Pauline Willis from Tenn.
Caroline b. Apr 14, 1861 d. Jul 27, 1929. Her nick name was
"Carrie". She was 13 yrs younger than my great grandfather,
James W Waters, b Sep 9, 1847 d. Sep 7, 1925.

Both of my grandparents and grandmother's were Farmers

Also, if anyone has additional information on the names
Willis Tenn and Deyton Deaton Tenn. that would be fabulous!

Upon checking the internet, I discovered there a lot of Vaughan
in Taylors, SC.

Could anyone be a Vaughan or Willis relative? Please help me. I
would appreciate it.

1 comment(s), latest 7 years, 3 months ago

Looking for anything on my GGGG Granfather Waters - Southern Spartanburg County SC

I'm looking for my great great great great grandfather, born abt 1775.
farmer, Spartanburg county SC. My question is this: Has anyone found any information for my GGGGGranfather? I believe his name was John. Same first name as my GGG Granfather.

I appreciate it. And am thanking you all. If anyone has found any thing with substance please contact me, Thank you. Anything. If someone has done research on Waters families. Especially in the Spartanburg County southern area. - Sometimes just a snippet will lead to a discovery...

6 comment(s), latest 7 years, 3 months ago