Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Category: ALLIED LINES IN APPENDIX
WILLIAMS: Nathaniel GREEN born ca 1774 in New Jersey, of Welsh extraction, married Anna CLARK, moved to Davenport, Scott, IA
Nathaniel G. WILLIAMS born in New Jersey and married Anna CLARK ca 1796 in Westfield, Union, New Jersey.
She was born ca 1779 in Westfield, dtr of Charles and Anna YEOMAN CLARK. She died 20 Dec 1797 in Westfield.
In 1856, Nathaniel moved to Davenport, Scott, Iowa from Elizabethtown, Union, New Jersey to live with his dtr Ann Williams BARROWS. He died in Davenport on 27 Oct 1861 ata ge 87, and is buried on the Willard BARROWS lot in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery. Nathaniel GREEN WILLIAMS had 2 children:
1. Charles Clark born 29 Nov 1797 in Westfield, Union, New Jersey
2. Ann H (possibly Hutchinson) born 9 Aug 1808 in Westfield and married Willard BARROWS in 1832 (no date) in Elizabethtown, Union, New Jersey. Willard was born 1806 (no date) in Monson, Hampden, Massachusetts and became a school teacher in Elizabethtown after his education. He next was a surveyor of Indian lands for the US Government. In 1837 while surveying in the West, he met Duncan CAMPBELL ELDRIDGE who persuaded Willard to bring his family to Davenport.
"Barrows New Map of Iowa" published in 1854 attracted many families where the land agency of BARROWS amd MILLARD sold thousands of acres to settlers and speculators. Willard traveled across the plains to California, Central Ameriica and the Carribean, and toward the end of his life, he was active in the banking business in Montana and Idaho gold fields. He died 5 Fan 1868 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa; Ann died 16 Mar 1887 in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. They are buried in Oakdale Cemetery. They had 4 children.
1. Sarah J. born ca 1844 in New Jersey, died 1915 (no date or place)
2. Carie G. (my reference spelling) born ca 1837 in New Jersey
3. Benjamin H. (possibly Hutchinson) born 30 Dec 1847 in Davenport, bur Omaha,Nebraska (no death date)
4. Willard born 1849 in Davenport, died 2 Aug 1849 at age 2 mos and is bur in Oakdale Cemetery.
TERRILL: Samuel marries Mary TREWREN and they have 5 children (2 listed in my reference) - dtr Mary marries Stephen BAWDEN in Redruth, Cornwall
Samuel and Mary TREWREN / TREWRAN / TREWIN TERRILL of Redruth, Cornwall, England married 4 Aug 1805 in Redruth, Cornwall, England, had 5 children. No research has been done on this family other than a TERRILL source for 3 more children.
1. Samuel b/ch Jan 1807 (no date)
2. William b/ch July 1809 (no date)
3. George TREWREN / TREWIN b/ch Nov 1811 (no date) m. 18 Sept 1838, Elizabeth LUKE, (father Thos LUKE) in St. Mary's, Truro, Cornwall. (Cornwall Online Parish records as George Trewin Ferrill), d 1885 St. Thomas, Devonshire. Had at least 7 children.
4. Mary born/christened 8 Apr 1817, m. 4 Sept 1837 in Redruth Church of England (St. Euny's) Stephen BAWDEN b.6 Apr 1812 in Redruth. They had 8 children and came to the US in 1840. (This writer's heritage)
5. Elizabeth born/christened 13 Apr 1820 in Redruth, married Wm. CLEMO Sept 1846, Redruth, (widowed or divorced??), Arrived in US with Mary and Stephen and dtr Elizabeth Clemo, born Sept 1847 in Redruth.
Elizabeth and her dtr, only child Elizabeth, were living in the household of Stephen and sister Mary TERRILL BAWDEN (above) in Norristown, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, a mining area, without Mr. CLEMO. Family tradition says "Grandma CLEMO" was divorced and lived with Stephen and Mary in their Rockingham Twp, Scott County, Iowa home until after 1880 when she was a resident of St. Paul, Minnesota with her dtr Elizabeth and grocery wholesaler husband James A. RYAN. After James died 9 Feb 1885 in St. Paul, both Elizabeths returned to Davenport.
Mother Elizabeth returned to Davenport and lived with dtr Elizabeth CLEMO RYAN on 6 Walling Court (now 1700)
Mother Elizabeth died of nervous prostration on 19 Dec 1910, just one week after the death of dtr Elizabeth CLEMO RYAN on 12 Dec 1910. They were members of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral.
Elizabeth and James A. RYAN had one child. They married in Davenport 28 Jun 1866. They lived in St. Paul, Minnesota. Son Harry CLEMO RYAN was born 18 Jan 1868 in Davenport. He married in Davenport, Edna BURDICK, dtr of Anthony and Elvira / Maria BURDICK. Edna was born 1 Nov 1872 and died 15 Aug 1969 in Pasadena, LA, California and is buried with her family in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery. (See Find-a-Grave). Edna and Harry divorced 13 Jan 1910. They had no children. Harry worked for Smith Bros and Burdick, wholesale grocers of Davenport. He died of diabetes in Chicago, Cook, Illinois 6 Jun 1915. Edna married Mr. XXX PROST.
Passenger List for Stephen BAWDEN and Eliza CLEMO from passenger ships and images database.
Arr 10 Aug 1849
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Queen of the West
STOKES: Thomas marries Mary BARNARD of Stephney Parish, London and they came on the "Kent" to the New World
Thos was born ca 1640, probably in London, England, son of John STOKES. The family came on the "Kent", the first ship of English settlers to arrive in New Jersey. They landed in New Castle, Delaware, and immediately went to Burlington, New Jersey, arriving 6 mo 1677. They were Quakers.
1. Sarah married Benjamin MOORE
2. Mary married John HUDSON
3. John married Elizabeth GREEN
4. Thos Jr. married Deliverance HORNER and second Rachel WRIGHT
5. Joseph married Judith LIPPINCOTT and second Mrs. Ann HAINES
6. Son unnamed who moved to South Carolina
SHIVERS: John was probably born in England, married Sarah (nln) and they had 5 children in NJ (my reference)
John was probably born in England and came to West New Jersey (territory status) where he married Sarah (nln) about 1690. In 1692 he purchased a large tract of land in Waterford Twp where he lived and operated a saw mill until his death on 13 Jan 1716 (no location - prob Waterford).
He died intestate leaving a large estate which included his one-half interest in a two hundred-acre tract of land in Newton Twp. The SHIVERS were Quakers.
1. Samuel married Martha DEACON
2. John married Mary CLEMENT
3. Mary married Thos BATES
4. Hannah married John MATLACK
5. Josiah married Ann BATES
No other info. This surname weighs lightly in my tree. I'm just entering it for anybody to use.
George was born in Germany and came to the US in 1856 where he settled in Beardstown, Cass, Illinois with his wife Katherine (no maiden).
He was pastor of Lutheran Church at Beardstown. They died in Beardstown.
Descendants of George SCHMIDT were mentioned in the will of Edward F. Duval (one L) of Taylorville, Illinois. Luther SCHMIDT, Marie SCHMIDT NICHOLSON, and Ruth schmidt at the funeral of John Frederick Duvall (2 Ls) in 1936, Rev. Arthur SCHMIDT of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a nephew, read prayers.
1. Catherina Elizabeth b 13 Jul 1836 in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. She married Henry HANSMEYER (this writer's paternal grandmother's parents)
2. Son (unnamed) who married (no name) and had children. (no info)
MILLER: Jonathan ROSS Jr m. Elizabeth DICKINSON who was married to Daniel BAKER; 3 generations listed
Jonathan was born 1715 in Rahway, Union, New Jersey, married Elizabeth who had several children with Daniel BAKER and were absorbed and took the name MILLER. Jonathan's parents Jonathan MILLER and Abagail ROSS.
Elizabeth was born 1721 and died 29 Nov 1788 (no location).
1. Moses b 1745 Rahway, d 17 Jan 1777 (no location), m. Esther MAXWELL b. ???, d 12 Sep 1829; Moses will dated 15 Jan 1777, proved 25 Jun 1778 in Essex County, NJ. Had Ezra b 1777 in Westfield; and Sara b 1774
2. Abigail b 10 Sept 1737, d 18 Mar 1802, Westfield, NJ
3. Sarah b Sept 1744 in Piscataway, Middlesex, NJ
4. Melyn (male) b 1743, Rahway, d 8 May 1795 (no location)
5. Jonathan III b 9 Feb 1747, d 13 Mar 1819
6. Elizabeth b ???, d 1798 (no date, location)
Moses' son Ezra married Mary HIGH born Aug 1775 in Westfield, dtr of John and Rachel SQUIRE HIGH Jr. Ezra d age 71 on 26 Oct 1838 in Westfield; Mary died age 73 on 11 Mar 1859 in Westfield. They had 5 children: My ref only has Eliza High. I have added the other 4 from online trees.
1. Eliza HIGH b 1801 in Westfield m. Charles Clark WILLIAMS (see C.C. Williams blog - Mary High WILLIAMS ELDRIDGE parents)
2. Rachel b 1 Nov 1806 Wstfield, M. John DUKE
3. Elizabeth b 20 Dec 1771 (no location)
4. Smith b 14 Jan (no year)
5. Sarah b 1774
MIDDLETON: John marries Catherine FRENCH and Sarah MATLACK - - dtr Sarah marries Josiah ELDRIDGE, (parents of Duncan Campbell)
John was born 12 Dec 1737, in Evesham Twp, Burlington, New Jersey, married Catherine FRENCH 8 Apr 1763. She died 1773. They had 5 children (my reference)
1. Martha b 15 Jul 1764
2. Joseph b 23 Aug 1766
3. John b 27 Aug 1768
4. Mary b 4 Nov 1769
5. Ann b 17 Jan 1771 Haddonfield, Camden, NJ m. David TEST
John married Sarah MATLACK 10 Sept 1775. She was born 4 Dec 1744 dtr of John and Hannah SHIVERS MATLACK.
1. Samuel b 1777 m. Ann Crawford
2. Sarah b 1779 prob Evesham, Burlington, NJ, m. Josiah ELDRIDGE, Duncan's parents
3. Joseph m Anna ELLIS
4. Jacob b 1782 m. Mary FORTNER
John died intestate. On 25 Oct 1793, wife Sarah Matlack Middleton and Edward GIBBS, brother-in-law to Sarah (sister Hannah), were made administrators of his estate. They were Quakers.
MIDDLETON: Thomas Jr. born prob in England, married Mary HUDSON, he was yeoman and shoemaker in Evesham Twp.
Thomas, son of Thomas and Martha SMITH MIDDLETON, married ca 1710, Mary HUDSON dtr of John and Mary STOKES HUDSON. She was born ca 1698 and died btw 1750 and 1753.
Thos was a yeoman of Evesham Twp, and perhaps a shoemaker. He married second, Mrs. Jane ENGLE NICHOLSON in 1753. She died in 1761. He made his will 10 May 1761 and it was proved 2 Jun 1761. They were Quakers. They had 7 children (my reference).
1. Thomas married Esther BARTON
2. Hudson b ca 1722 Evesham, d ca 1769 Chester, Burlington, NJ
3. Martha married Abraham WILSON
4. Deborah married Enoch BURROUGH and second, Joseph ARMSTRONG
5. Ruth married Wm HIGBEE
6. Mary married John ASHEAD
7. John born 12 Dec 1737 in Evesham
No other information.
This surname weighs lightly in my tree. I'm posting it for anyone to use.
MIDDLETON: Thomas (possible 1st name) marries probably Martha SMITH and there are 7 children (my reference)
Possibly 1st name Thomas (my reference blank but author conjectured from England marriage records) married Martha SMITH in Lancaster Parish, Yorkshire, England on 4 Jun 1667. Martha as a widow possibly came back to NJ bought property in Burlington in 1710.
No info on Thos.
Martha made her will 12 Jul 1712 at Burlington; it was proved 20 Jul 1712.
1. Thomas born 1682 probably in England
2. John married Elizabeth (nln) and second, Katherine LIACON HATFIELD
3. Wiliam married Sarah BRANDETH
4. Martha married John ROGERS
5. Mary possibly married James BROWN
6. Elizabeth did not marry
7. Jane married John RICHARDSON
MEYER: Frederick married Catherine(a) M. BURKESIKUS - dtr Mary is the DUVAL link to Viola, Pauline and Henrietta DUVALL's mother
Frederick was born 8 Dec 1805 in Prussia and came to America in 1848 with his brother, Henry.
The following appears in "Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler, and Brown Counties, Illinois, publ 1892"
"Fred MEYER, a retired farmer of Arenzville was born in Prussia, Germany in 1805. He came of Prussian parents who lived and died when quite old. His father, Gotlieb H. MEYER, was a German farmer and his wife was a Prussian lady, formerly Anna ROCHE. They were members ofthe Luthyeran Church.
Fred was one of 5 sons and one daughter. The latter lived and died in Germany. The ;five sons all came to the United States at different times, Fred and a brother, Henry are the only surviving members of the family. The former grow up and was married in his native province to Catherine M. Burkesikus. She came of an old Prussian family. After the birth of all ltheir children but one, they came to the United States in Dec 1848, leaving Bremen on a sailing vessel and landing at New Orleans after a trip of nine weeks and three days. They proceeded up the Mississippi River to St. Louis, and from there to Beardstown and began farming the next year. Here Mrs. Meyer died, in 1865, at the age of forty-three. She and her husband were members of the Lutheran Church. They had five children: William a farmer in thisprecinct, married Carrie TALKEMEIER; Mary wife of William Dougal (s/b Duval) farmer near Taylorville, Illinois; minnie formerly wife of Fred NORDSIEK and the mother of seven children; Mary A. at home, Lizzie wife of Henry HIERMAN, farmer of this county; Henry, Lena, Ann and John all at home. Another son, now deceased, maned Henry A. married Minnie YOST.
Mr. MEYER began in this county in 1848 andin time since then has by hard work accumulated a large property. HE had only 100 acres at first but now has 474 acres, most of which is well improved, with good farm buildings. He has always been a hardworking man, and although now eighty-eight years of age, is as active as ever and in perfect health. He has been a good citizen, a Republican in politics and now lives in retirement with his daughter Minnie (Mrs. NORDSIEK) on section 7, township 17, range 11. He is a good old man, greatly respected by all who know him.
Frederick and Catherine(a) M. BURKESIKUS were married in Prussia before coming to America with their children. She was born 23 Dec 1809 in PRussia. Fred and Catherine farmed near Arenzville, Illinois, a small town southwest of Beardstown. Catherine W. MEYER died 7 May 1865 in Arenzville and is buried in the St. Peter's Lutheran Church Cemetery near that town. fred lived with his daughter until his death 28 Feb 1897. He is buried beside his wife in the St. Peter's Cemetery. His will, on record at Cass County, Illinois Court House named son-in-law Wm Duvall, as executor. However Wm Duval declined to serve as executor and John F. Duval[l], his grandson,w as appointed in his place.
1. William, born in Prussia married Carrie TALKEMEIER. They farmed near Arenzville, Illinois.
2. Mary born 1840 in Prussia married Wm DUVAL born 1837 in Illinois.
3. Wilhelmina born 1844 in Prussia married Frederick NORDSIEK, a wagon maker. They lived near Arenzville, Illinois and had seven children. She died 1913 and is buried in St. Peter's Cemetery near Arenzville. Their children were: Mary A. Nordsiek, Lizzie NORDSIEK HIERMAN, Emma NORDSIEK KLOKER, Henry, Lena, Ann, and John NORDSIEK.
4. Son, name knot known
5. Henry W. born 1854 in Arenzville, Illinois, married Minnie YOST