Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Category: ALLIED LINES IN APPENDIX
HANSMEYER: Henry marries Catharina SCHMIDT, both born in Prussia, and they have 4 children in Beardstown, Cass, Illinois (Viola, Pauline and Henrietta DUVALL's mother)
Henry was born 2 Nov 1833 in Lippe-Detmold, Prussia, Germany, son of Fred and Wilhelmina HUE (pron Hoy) HANSMEYER. This bio appears in Biographical Review of Cass, Schuyler, and Brown Counties, Illinois, pub 1892.
Henry was born in Lippe-Detmold, Prussia, Germany in 1833. He came of pur German ancestry and of hardy stock. His father, Fred HANSMEYER married Wilhelmina HOY of the same province. In 1839 they took passage for America and landed in New Orleans after a seven-weeks voyage. Thence the family came up the Mississippi to St. Louis where the mother and one child died of the cholera after being there one week. The father and four children came to Chicago, where Henry was attacked by cholera and confined to the house for two weeks, later he joined his father and the other children in Watertown (Chicago?), and it was near there that the father died about one year later, being then in middle life.
Henry HANSMEYER is the second of four sons yet living. He came to this country in 1849 and lived on a farm in Jefferson County, Wisconsin, until 1851 working for $10 a month. He came to Beardstown in 1851 and still worked by the month for a time for $10; he saved his money, became a stock dealer and trader and did various things until he accumulated enough to purchase land. In 1865 he found himself on safe ground for business, which he carried on successfully and extensively. He was an active farmer and stock-raiser until 1880 when he retired from business and moved to Beardstown. He owns a fine farm of 306 acres, 250 of which is under the plow and the rest in pasture, good land and all supplied with first-class farm buildings. He purchased this farm in 1865 and also owns some good residence property in Beardstown, the opera house building in Mt. Olive, Illinois, and other residence property there.
He was married in Beardstown in 1857 to Miss Catharina SCHMIDT. She was born in Hesse-Darmstadt. She was the dtr of the Rev. George and Kate SCHMIDT who came to the United States in 1856 settling in Beardstown where they died. Mr. Schmidt was for many years pastor of the Lutheran Church. He was a fine minister and an anti-slavery advocate, a Republican in politics and a leader in his community. Mrs. HANSMEYER is a great worker in the Lutheran Church and a very fine woman. They have 4 children: Augusta, wife of Henry OETGEN, a farmer in Schuyler County; Minna [Wilhelmina Paulina], wife of Henry STOCK; Katie, wife of John DUVALL, First State Bank of Beardstown; William, a miller by trade. Mr. HANSMEYER is a public-spirited citizen, a Republican in politics and a member o fthe Fourth Street Lutheran Church of which he has been a Trustee for sixteen years.
Henry married Catharine(a) E. SCHMIDT on 20 Nov 1857 in Beardstown, Illinois. She was born 13 Jul 1836 in Hesse-Darmstadt, Germany, dtr of Pastor George and Kate SCHMIDT, and came to Beardstown with her parents in 1856. The HANSMEYERs were farmers near Beardstown where Catherine died on 28 Oct 1899.
Henry was a successful man and owned farm land near Beardstown, town lots in Beardstown and Mt. Olive, Illinois, as well as land in Oklahoma. At his second marriage to Mrs. Margaret KUHL MANKEN on 3 Jul 1901 in Beardstown, they signed an anti-numpial contract which his recorded in Cass County, Illinois.
"During the married life of the said parties the said Henry HANSMEYER shall provide for teh said Margaret MANKEN according to his condition in life and as a husband should provide, and the said Margaret MANKEN shall properly and fully perform her duties as wife."
Henry died 21 May 1911 in Beardstown and is buried there with Catherine(a) in Oak Grove Cemetery.
1. Augusta C (Catherine(a)?) born 1859 (no date) in Beardstown, Illinois. She married Henry W. OETGEN [mother Helen L. VESLAGE] on 13 Mar 1879 in Beardstown. They lived in Beardstown where they died. He in 1919 (no date) and Augusta in 1941.
They are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery. They had 3 children: Arthur, Homer and Inez OETGEN CALLINGS.
2. Wilhelmina Paulina "Minnie" born 1861 in Beardstown. She married Henry Thomas STOCK on 12 Mar 1885 in BEardstown, where they lived.
3. Katherine Elizabeth born 4 Nov 1866 in Beardstown. She married John Frederick / Frederick John DUVALL. [this writer's heritage]
4. William H. born 5 Apr 1868 in Beardstown. He married Hallie SMITH who was born 18 Apr 1872 (no location). Wm died 14 Jan 1907: Hallie died 13 Jul 1938; both are buried in Oak Grove Cemetery in Beardstown. They had: Erma, Harold, Clifford, Roy, Mabel and Frances.
This surname is somewhat removed from my tree. I'm posting it to help anyone.
DUVALL: John Frederick "Tom" married Katherine Elizabeth "Katy" HANSMEYER and they have 3 dtrs in Beardstown, Cass, Illinois
John was born 3 Dec 1866, son of William and Mary MEYER / MEIER DUVAL (YES 1 L) on the family farm near Arenzville, Cass, Illinois. After graduation from Carthage College, John taught school for four years. He changed the spelling of his last name to DUVALL before he married.
On 28 Apr 1892 John and Katherine "Katy" were married in Beardstown, Illinois. She was the dtr of Henry and Catharina SCHMIDT HANSMEYER, born 4 Nov 1866 in Beardstown.
John worked at the First State Bank of Beardstown, moving in 1913 to Bennett, Cedar, Iowa where he was secretary-treasurer of the Farmers Elevator Co. Around WWI, John purchased the elevator company and renamed it the DUVALL Grain Company, building at the same time, a large stucco house on the corner of 5th and Willow in Bennett. In 1928 he sold his grain company and home to Mr. BUTTOLPH and took a 240-acre farm in Mitchell(ville?), Iowa as part of the transaction. They lived for a short time in Mitchell(ville) but returned to Bennett to operate a feed mill 6 weeks before his death.
John died 18 Jun 1936 at the farm of Julius BRUH near Bennett. He and Katherine are buried in Inland Cemetery near Bennett. Katherine died 16 Sept 1945 in her daughter Viola Katherine DUVALL BAWDEN's home at 161 Forest Road.
1. Viola "Vi" Katherine 7 Apr 1895. She married George Ray BAWDEN (this writer's paternal g-parents).
2. Pauline Marie "Bill" born 6 Jun 1899; married Wm Floyd BLAIR 2 Jun 1926 in Bennett, Iowa. William was the son of William Preston and Lena GRAFING / GRAFINE BLAIR born 1893 in Bennett, Iowa. They lived in Bennett whee they owned a hardware store and Wiliam was Mayor of Bennett for 18 years, served on City Council, and at the same time president of the school board for nine years. They moved to Colorado Springs, El Paso, Colorado in 1948 and purchased the Cadillac Motel. "Aunty Bill" also worked at and owned the gift shop at 7 Falls - a man-made tourist stop in Colorado Springs. William died 6 Sept 1954 and Pauline in 10 Dec 1968 in Colorado Springs. They are buried in Inland Cemetery in Bennett, Iowa. They had 3 children: Joan Duvall, William James, and Thomas Duvall.
3. Henrietta "Hank" born 16 Jan 1897 attended school in Bennett and the University of Northern Iowa in Cedar Falls, Iowa (formerly Iowa State Teacher's College). She moved to Davenport where she worked as a sales person in the ladies ready-to-wear department of Abraham's Clothing Store. She did not marry. She died 6 Jul 1951 in Davenport and is buried with her parents in Inland Cemetery in Bennett, Iowa.
DUVAL: William H. marries Elizabeth DUVANDACH, both of Hanover, Germany, and they settle in Cass County, Illinois (Viola Katherine DUVALL's paternal g-grandfather)
William was born in 1806 (no date, no parentage).
It is probable that he came with his parents, settling first in Morgan County, Illinois and moving to Cass County, Illinois prior to 1836.
His first land purchase in Cass County was on 23 Feb 1844 when he acquired a lot in Beardstown, Illinois from Mr. XXX Beard for whom the town was named. The family was living in Arenzville, Illinois in 1860.
There are 4 children:
1. William born 25 Jan 1837 in Beardstown, Cass, Illinois
2. Charles born 1838 (no date, no place)
3. Henry born 1840 in Illinois (no date, no place)
4. Mary born 1844 in Illinois (no date, no place)
No other information
This surname is somewhat removed from my tree. I'm posting to help anyone.
CLARK: Charles marries Anna YEOMAN - dtr Anna marries Nathaniel WILLIAMS (Mary HIGH WILLIAMS ELDRIDGE maternal g-father)
Charles was born 21 Sept 1753 in Westfield, Union, New Jersey, where he married Anna on 2 Oct 1774.
Anna was born 7 Apr 1756. No parentage or birth location, possibly Westfield.
Charles served as an Ensign in Captain Craig's Company of New Jersey troups during the American Revolution.
In 1793 he became Captain of the New Jersey State Militia.
The following account is found in the History of Scott County, Iowa by H. E. Downer 1910 p. 77.
That he must have held rank as an officer is indicated by the fact he wore a sword, the silver handle of which was afterward melted into 6 tablespoons, two of which were given to each of his 3 grandchildren: Samuel CLARK, Charles Clark WILLIAMS, and Betsy SMITH. This was about 80 years ago and the spoons are still high-prized by the present generation.
Anna CLARK died 23 Aug 1781; Charles died 8 Sept 1821 in Westfield.
This surname is somewhat removed from my tree. I'm posting it to help anyone.