Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles

sort: Date Alphabetical
view: full | list

Journals and Posts


Showing: (clear)
Category: THE BAWDEN SIDE

HASKIN or HASKINS - Burial Information For You

Oakdale Memorial Gardens, Davenport, Scott, IA

I have a list of 11 of this family from the sexton database.

Some markers say Haskin and database says Haskins.

My link is Alice Martha Robeson Haskin's daughter Edna Cameron who married my Stephen Phelps Bawden.

1. Franklin, b ca 1870-71, Davenport, Scott, IA; d 18 May 1873 Davenport; 3 y 4 mo, scarlet fever, interred 18 May 1873; sexton database entry 1294/4384; Sec 13 Lot 98

2. Margaret C. b ca 1753 Salem, MA; d 11 Mar 1877 Moline, Rock Island, IL, 84 yo, hemorrhage, widow, interred 13 Mar 1877; sexton database entry 1668; Sec 1 Lot 67

3. William Edgar b ca 1809 NY, d 3 Oct 1883 Pleasant Valley, Scott, IA, 74 yo, dropsy, widower, interred 5 Oct 1883; sexton database entry 2391; Sec 7 Lot 157

4. Harriet b ca 1841, Iowa, d 19 Apr 1888 Davenport, 47 cancer of lungs, single, interred 21 Apr 1888; sexton database 3064, Sec 7 Lot 192

5. Charles b ca 1856, NY, d 19 Jun 1902 Davenport, 46 y 9 m 1 d, uremia, married, interred 21 Jun 1902; sexton database 5390, Sec 9, Lot 94. Ran livery stable in Davenport. Husband of Alice M.

6. Mrs. Mary, b ca 1845, Scotland, d 21 Oct 1905 Davenport, 60 yo, anemia, married, interred 23 Oct 1905; sexton database 6087, Sec 13 Lot 98

7. Alice Martha Robeson b ca Dec 1847 Davenport, d 21 Feb 1909 Davenport, 51y1m23d, myocarditis, widow, interred 24 Feb 1909; sexton database 6903, Sec 9 Lot 94, wife of Charles, mother of Edna Cameron. (Edna remarried when Stephen died. Burial info unk).

8. Robert Henry b ca 1843 IL, d 23 Mar 1912, Davenport, 69yo, cerebral hemorrhage, widower, interred 25 Mar 1912; sexton database 7740, Sec 13 Lot 98

9. Evan H. b ca 1869, Missouri, d 10 Nov 1917 Davenport, 48 yo, pneumonia, married, interred 14 Nov 1917, Sec 19, Lot 8

10. Jessie M. b ca 1873 Rock Island, Rock Island, IL d 9 Sept 1918 Davenport. 41yo, tuberculosis, married interred 11 Sept 1918; sexton database 9437; Sec 7 Lot 15

11. Franklin, scarlet fever, 3y4m, interred 19 May 1873; no birth date, born and died in Davenport.

If you can fill in the blanks, could you take the time to email Oakdale @ OakdaleOMG@aol.com for database entry. Thank you.

1 comment(s), latest 1 year, 5 months ago

WILLIAMS: Doris Lucille marries John Iles GANSERT in Inyokern, Pasadena, California, becomes dir. of Kansas City, MO Hospital Medical Clinic

Obit:
Doris W. GANSERT, 65, Prairie Village, a former laboratory director for a Kansas City hospital, died 23 Sept 1988 at Trinity Lutheran Hospital.

Mrs. Gansert worked for Trinity Lutheran Hospital 31 years and retired as administrative director of the hospital laboratory in July 1988. The School of Medical Technology at the hospital was named for her when she retired.

She was born in Ottumwa, Iowa, and lived in the Kansas City area most of her life. {Obit says Springfield, Illinois}

Survivors include 2 brothers, Robert E. WILLIAMS, Ottumwa, Iowa, and John B. WILLIAMS, Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. The body was cremated. (no burial information). The family suggests contributions to the Missouri Repertory Theater or the Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art.

Doris was the wife of John ILES GANSERT (see sep. blog), born 5 Apr 1921 in Rock Island, Rock Island, Illinois. Both were graduates of Grinnell College, Grinnell, Iowa. son of William ILES and Helen DETJENS GANSERT. She was the dtr of John B. WILLIAMS of Ottumwa, Iowa.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 5 months ago

ELDRIDGE: Jacob MULLEN merits an entry in The History of Davenport and Scott County, Iowa 1882

Jacob M. ELDRIDGE, arriving in Davenport in 1845, became an active and valuable factor in the business interests of the city and at the same time his opinions carried weight and his labors produced substantial results in financial circles. While he won success, his interests were never so self-centered that business excluded participation in projects and measures of progressive citizenship. On the contrary he was ever alert to the best interests of the community and his cooperation constituted a valuable force in inaugurating measures which were of public benefit. A native of New Jersey, Jacob M. ELDRIDGE was born at Haddonfield, New Jersey, November 20, 1824, a son of Duncan CAMPBELL and Rachel BROWN ELDRIDGE. Duncan was the first postmaster of Davenport.

Rachel died when Jacob was but four years of age and the boy then went to live with his widowed ELDRIDGE grandmother. His father, having remarried to Rebecca LIPPINCOTT of the publishing family, came west and had conducted a store in Davenport at the time of the death of the grandfather. Jacob M. ELDRIDGE, then a boy of thirteen years, was thrown upon his own resources and soon afterward commenced teaming.

Carefully saving his earnings, it was not long before he was able to purchase a team and in that field of activity he continued to labor for some time. Later he turned his attention to clerking and, actuated by the laudable ambition which was ever one of his strong characteristics, he soon made it possible to become the owner of a mercantile enterprise. This he conducted until 1845, when he came to Davenport, his attention having already been directed to this city by the fact that it was the place of his father's residence. He arrived in Rock Island [Illinois] on the 23d of December after a two months' journey from Philadelphia and spent Christmas eve in Davenport.

The next spring, however, he returned to the east to settle up his business affairs in that section of the country and in the succeeding fall again came back to this city. He had entered land from the government about three miles northeast of Davenport, for which he paid the usual price of a dollar and a quarter per acre.
The improvements which he placed upon it and the natural rise in value consequent upon the rapid settlement of this section of the country enabled him in 1874 to dispose of that farm for one hundred and twenty-five dollars per acre.

He was one of the first land agents of this city and followed that pursuit during much of his life. His keen judgment and sagacity enabled him to make judicious investments and profitable sales and at the same time he contributed to the substantial improvement of this section of the state by his careful manipulation of
realty interests.

At all times Mr. ELDRIDGE was mindful of his opportunity to promote public progress and was actuated by a public-spirited devotion to the general good that was manifest in many tangible ways. He was prominent in the movement that extended the Chicago & Rock Island [rail]road to the river and continued its construction across the state as the Mississippi & Missouri road. The second line afterward consolidated, forming the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific. Mr. ELDRIDGE was also a member of the company that secured the franchise for the
second railroad bridge and he put forth earnest effort wherever he believed it possible to secure the adoption of a project that promised material benefit to the city, county and state. The town of ELDRIDGE was laid out by him and the city of ELDRIDGE, North Dakota, was named in his honor, though he never lived in either.

It was through the influence of Mr. ELDRIDGE that Frank P. BLAIR became a resident of this city and a most important factor in its later upbuilding.

In the field of politics Mr. ELDRIDGE was equally well known and prominent. He was a delegate to the convention held in Iowa City in 1855, which led to the organization of the republican party in this state. In 1872 he was sent as a delegate from Iowa to the convention of liberal republicans that nominated Horace GREELEY for the presidency. He regarded it as the duty as well as the privilege of every American man to uphold by his ballot and his influence the principles in which he believed and, while he never sought nor desired office for himself, he stood staunchly in support of those issues which he regarded as vital to
good government.

He conceived and instituted the idea of placing a memorial tablet in the rotunda of the courthouse in honor of the Scott county pioneersa tablet which will preserve for future generations the names of several hundred residents who came here prior to 1848. He was one of the oldest and most faithful members of the Christian church, to the support of which he contributed generously, while in its various activities he took helpful part. One of the most honored members of the Old Settlers' Association, he filled all of its offices, including that of president. He was also president of the Board of Trade at one time and instituted various projects which were accomplished through the medium of that association.

In 1848 Mr. Eldridge was married to Miss Mary Louisa WOODWARD, who passed away eighteen months later. In June, 1851, he married Miss Mary HIGH WILLIAMS, and on 28th of September, 1866, he wed Agnes SMITH, who survives him. She was a daughter of Robert Smith, a farmer by occupation, who retired in 1861 and established his home in Davenport, where he spent his remaining days, dying at the age of eighty-eight years. The six children of Mr. ELDRIDGE were all born of the second marriage, namely : George Wallace., Mrs. Reuben R. ELDRIDGE [Dr. Elizabeth], Mrs. Samuel LYTER GLASPELL [Kate], Mrs. Carl E. SCHLEGEL [Minnie], Mrs. George W. BAWDEN [Jennie - this blog author's g-grandmother], and Frank Wallace.

The death of Mr. ELDRIDGE occurred June 8, 1892, and brought a sense of personal bereavement to a large majority of Davenport citizens, for during the many years of his residence here he was honored and respected by all who knew him. The value of his public work cannot be overestimated and his record furnishes a splendid example for emulation in its public-spirited devotion to the general good. As the architect of his own fortunes he built wisely and well and did equally good work for the city, his name being on the roll of the representative men whose labors have constituted the chief elements in progress and improvement here.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 6 months ago

BAWDEN: Stephen Phelps is subject of entry in 1882 History of Davenport and Scott County, Iowa

The law has become so complex that it would be difficult for any individual to be equally at home in all departments of practice and, while a lawyer may continue in several fields, it is the tendency of the times to concentrate one's energies upon a special branch. This Stephen P. Bawden does in his attention to probate and title deed branches of law and yet he has won success in other fields and may be termed a general practitioner.

Mr. Bawden is one of Davenport's native sons and his parents were Stephen and Mary Ella (WOODWARD) BAWDEN, the former being of English parentage and the latter a native of Pennsylvania. Their removal to the west and settlement at Davenport made this city the scene of the youthful efforts and activities of S. P. BAWDEN as well as of his later years.

Having acquired his literary education in the public schools, he continued his studies in preparation for the bar and after his admission to practice in the courts of the state opened an office in Davenport, where he has since remained. His natural predilection tends him toward probate and similar departments of the law and for five years he devoted almost his entire time to those branches in the office of DAVISON & LANE. Inclination and opportunity were thus satisfied and his thoroughness and capability in this branch of the profession have won him deserved success. His two most dominant characteristics are determined persistence and thorough and honest exactness. In law and especially in real-estate law these traits are of prime importance and guarantee progress.

Mr. BAWDEN has met with good success because of these qualities and is one of the best known of the younger members of the bar in this field of practice. He enjoys the good fellowship of his brethren of the legal fraternity here and all recognize that his advancement has come as the merited and legitimate reward of his efforts and ability.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 6 months ago

PHELPS FAMILY HISTORY: Israel b 3 Apr 1681 in Westfield, Hampden, MA, m. Rachel JONES (no info)

I. Israel PHELPS b 3 Apr 1681 in Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts; m 7 Mar 1703 Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut to Rachel JONES (no info) Israel died 16 Apr 1713 in Enfield

[Israel's older brother John PHELPS (jr) b 8 Dec 1779 in Colebrook, d Oct 1839 Granville, Licking, Ohio]

A. Israel's son David PHELPS b 25 Aug 1716 in Enfield, m. 29 Mar 1737 in Enfield, Margaret COLTON, dtr of Josiah COLTON (no mother), Josiah was born 30 Dec 1685 in Longmeadow, Hampden, Massachusetts. m. Margaret PEASE {no info), 6 Jan 1706 in Enfield. David died 13 Jan 1803 in Enfield.
1. David's son John PHELPS b 11 Feb 1756 in Colebrook, Litchfield, Connecticut, m. Anna BAKER on 22 Mar 1779 in Colebrook, who was born 23 Apr 1738 Colebrook. John d 13 Oct 1841 in Colebrook; Anna d 4 Apr 1797 in Colebrook.

John's son Elihu PHELPS b 10 Apr 1782 in Colebrook, m. 19 Aug 1816 in Schroon [River?], Essex, New York Margaret CROOKSHANKS/CRUIKSHANKS (var sp) who was born 1795 (no date) in Salem, Washington, New York (no death date), Elihu died 7 Dec 1856 in Schroon.
1. Rensselaer (Female) b 19 Apr 1818 Schroon, Essex, New York; d 27 Apr 1857 - no spouse info
2. Orin J. b 29 Nov 1819, Schroon, no death date, Essex, NY, m. Jane MAYNARD, Jane POWELL 5 Oct 1853 Schroon.
3. James Francis b 6 Oct 1821, Schroon d 3 Apr 1906 in home 1223 3rd Ave., Davenport, Scott, Iowa, bur. Oakdale Memorial Gardens, aka Oakdale Cemetery, Davenport, m. 1. Lucinda TYRRELL b 1828 m. 1848 (no date) in Schroon, 2. Jennett FINCH b 5 Jun 1829, m. 20 Dec 1854.
4. Sanford b 26 Aug 1823 Schroon, d 31 Oct 1842 Schroon
5. Anna b 6 Jul 1825 Schroon d 4 May 1882 Schroon m. 18 Apr 1844, N. Hudson, Essex, New York, Daniel WYMAN b 6 Apr 1816 (no info)
6. Elizabeth b 25 Aug 1827 Schroon m. 12 Apr 1849 Schroon, Pelopidas POTTER b 26 Oct 1820. No death info for Liz.
7. Margaret b 11 Feb 1830 Schroon, m. 10 Feb 1847 Crown Point, Essex, NY, Calvin Walker HEUSTIS b 1817 (no date), no dod for Margaret.
8. Mary Helen b 31 Jan 1832, Schroon, d 22 Oct 1912, Davenport Scott, Iowa bur. Oakdale, m. 8 Jul 1859 Schroon River, Essex, NY, James Edwin LINDSAY b 12 Apr 1826 (see sep blog), Lindsay died 13 Oct 1915 in Schroon?? or Davenport, Scott, Iowa
9. Emily b 19 Jun 1834 Schroon, m. 9 May 1859, Schroon, Darius Jacobs RICHARDS, no dod for Emily
10. Amelia b 29 Aug 1837 Schroon, d 29 May 1919 New Rochelle, New York, m. Hawley Silas HEPBURN b 2 Mar 1840
11. John Baker (J.B.) b 19 May 1840 Schroon m. 20 May 1889 Davenport, Cornelia Rebecca WOODWARD ("Cornie")
b Jan 1864 in double ceremony with sister Mary Ella "Ella" WOODWARD and Stephen Douglas BAWDEN in the Woodward
home in Rockingham Twp, Scott, Iowa, dtrs of Benjamin Beckwith and Elizabeth Evans MORGAN WOODWARD. JB died of heart attck 16 Jul 1900 in Davenport. Bur Oakdale. This writer's link thru Stephen BAWDEN.
12. Eunice Ellen b 30 Sept 1843 Schroon, d 17 Jun 1928, Davenport; m. Major Eugene B. HAYWARD on 7 Apr 1864 in Schroon while Eugene was on a brief furlough. He was born 25 Oct 1842 in Essex County, New York. He died 3 Feb 1927 Davenport. 1 son Elmer Leland b 26 May 1866 in Port Henry, Essex, New York and 1 dtr Ellen Imogen b 1877 (no date).
13. Charles b 1855 no date, Schroon, no other information.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 6 months ago

LINDSAY: James Edwin, logging king in Village of E. Davenport, m. Mary Helen PHELPS in Schroon River, Essex, NY

James Edwin LINDSAY DOD 1915 Oct 13 Davenport, Scott, IA, Chronic Myocarditis,
interred 1915 Oct 15, Sec 20, Lot 21, Inter # 8670


Prominent for many years among the mill operators of the Mississippi river were James E. LINDSAY and John B. PHELPS, who as LINDSAY & PHELPS were for nearly forty years connected with the manufacture of lumber at Davenport.

James Edwin LINDSAY, the subject of this sketch, was born at Schroon, Essex, New York, April 12, 1826. His ancestors came from Scotland in 1731 and settled at Argyle, New York. His great-great-grandfather was Donald LINDSAY, who was interested in the grant which was extended to Laughlin Campbell and was one of the hundred founders of that early Argyle community.

His training between 1826 and 1847 terminated with one year's schooling in civil engineering at Norwich, Vermont. His father was a hotel keeper, farmer and lumber manufacturer combined. Young LINDSAY worked at measuring and the hauling of logs at his father's mill, a water power affair propelled by the old-style "flutter wheel." This sawmill was facetiously called the "Thunder Shower Mill" on account of its utter inability to operate unless a frequent rain would kindly fill the small creek dam from which it drew its water power.

Young LINDSAY was in an atmosphere that was apt to make him a lumberman and included his neighbors Israel Johnson, the inventor of the much used "mulay" saw, and Philetas Sawyer, the long time prominent lumberman and for many years United States senator from Wisconsin.

Logs measured about two standards to the log, a standard, according to Dimmock's rule, being measured on the basis of thirteen-foot log, nineteen inches at the top end. They were made up of perhaps twenty-five per cent clear at fifty dollars a thousand; twenty-five per cent second clear at forty dollars; twenty-five per cent select at twenty dollars; and twenty-five per cent common, worth fourteen dollars. Before his twenty-first birthday, a young LINDSAY already had some experience in the logging business in partnership with his brother-in-law John Tompkins. The firm was named LINDSAY & TOMPKINS and existed for four years.

In the fall of 1856, the year he was thirty years old, he came west, and with his savings and what had been entrusted to him, secured about seven thousand dollars worth of lands through land warrants in the Black River Falls (Wisconsin) country.

In March, 1861, Mr. LINDSAY located permanently at Davenport, Iowa, and his Black River timber was logged and rafted to Davenport, where it was sawed into lumber by the thousand at the mills at that place. He had formed a partnership with E. HARRIS, of Queensberry, New York, the understanding being that Mr. LINDSAY was to come west and look about and take an interest in whatever looked most favorable. The absolute trust of his partner in Mr. Lindsay's judgment seems to have colored his subsequent career. He had not only his own interests to further but also had absolutely in his keeping the interests of another. This tended to make him conservative, and he has always been a conservative man. This conservatism, however, should not be misjudged, for he has ever had an aggressive and enthusiastic confidence in the future values of timber lands.

Later in 1861 Mr. LINDSAY secured a lease of the RENWICK mill in Davenport. Shortly afterward John B. PHELPS bought Mr. Harris' interest and the firm became LINDSAY & PHELPS, and it has so continued barring its incorporation in 1890, for nearly fifty years. In 1866 LINDSAY & PHELPS built a mill at Davenport. It started with a circular saw; a gang saw was added in 1867, at that time the only gang mill in this section of the country; and in 1880, a band mill was added and other necessary machinery for a more modern plant.

The mill at Davenport continued in operation until the close of the season of 1919 a period of thirty-nine years. The corporation of LINDSAY & PHELPS Company is still being maintained, the present officers being J. E. LINDSAY, president; R. E. LINDSAY, vice president; Fred Wyman, secretary and treasurer; and George F. LINDSAY, assistant secretary and treasurer.

John Baker PHELPS, Mr. Lindsay's long time partner, died in July, 1900.

Mr. Lindsay's confidence in pine timber was of the broader kind, and as early as 1882, with his close friend and associate, C. R. Ainsworth, of Moline, Illinois, he personally located the first holdings of the LINDSAY Land & Lumber Company in Arkansas. Perhaps it may be due to Mr. LINDSAY and Mr. Ainsworth that they be called the pioneer northern lumbermen in Arkansas, and surely they were among the earliest to purchase timber lands in that section. The company's first officers were J. E. LINDSAY, president; C. R. Ainsworth, vice president; J. B. PHELPS, secretary; William Renwick, treasurer. The late Hon. D. N. Richardson, a newspaper man and close associate in those early days of investment in the south, asked Mr. LINDSAY in conversation one day,

"Is there a chance for an outsider to put some money in your southern timber company, Mr. LINDSAY?"
"Not for you, a newspaper man," was the reply, "for it takes long patience and years of constant outgo of money to work out a proposition of this kind, and you who are accustomed to annual dividends would lack the 'sand' to stay with such a proposition." Without hesitancy Mr. Richardson replied, "We have the sand and only ask you to make the opportunity."

Mr. RICHARDSON went in, and up to the time of his death, that quality of sand first shown was ever apparent.

Resulting from Mr. RICHARDSON's enthusiasm later came the RICHARDSON Land & Timber Company, with D. N. RICHARDSON as its first president. The present officers are J. J. RICHARDSON, president; Fred WYMANH, vice president; and M. N. Richardson, secretary and treasurer. The directors are J. E. LINDSAY, Rebecca RENWICK, J. J. RICHARDSON, Fred WYMAN and J. B, RICHARDSON. This company made purchases in Little River, Dallas, Sevier and Howard counties, Arkansas, and later extended its operations into Mississippi. At one time its holdings amounted to one hundred and fifty thousand acres in Arkansas. At this time it owns nearly fifty thousand acres in Mississippi.

In 1884 when RENWICK, SHAW and CROSSETT went north to Cloquet, Minnesota, and organized the Cloquet Lumber Company with George S. Shaw as its manager, Mr. LINDSAY and Mr. PHELPS became members of that company, Mr. LINDSAY now being a director.

The big trees of the Pacific coast next attracted LINDSAY & Phelps' attention and, associated with Weyerhaeuser & Denkmann and the Richardson interests, they organized the Sound Timber Company on December 23, 1899. The officers are J. E. LINDSAY, president; Fred C. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary and treasurer; and with F. WEYERHAUSER, Joe R. LANE and M. N. RICHARDSON form its board of directors. This company owns something over fifty thousand acres of fir, cedar and spruce in Skagit, Snohomish, Whatcom and King counties, Washington, and Lane county, Oregon.

Interest was again directed to the south in 1901, and Mr. LINDSAY, with Weyerhaeuser & Denkmann, the Laird, Norton Company, Dimmock, Gould & Company, and the Richardson interests, formed the Southland Lumber Company
on May 4 of that year, for the purchase of timber lands in Louisiana. Its officers are: F. E. WEYERHAUSER, president; F. C. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary and treasurer; Fred Wyman, assistant secretary and treasurer. The directors are F. WEYERHAUSER, E. P. DENKMANN, H. A. AINSWORTH, J. E. LINDSAY, F. S. BELL, F. H. THATCHER, Fred C. DENKMANN, Calvin AINSWORTH, Joe R. LANE, M. N. RICHARDSON and Fred WYMAN. The present holdings are in southwestern Louisiana and approximate one hundred and thirty thousand acres of longleaf yellow pine.

The Southern Lumber Company of Arkansas was organized January 28,1902, by WEYERHAUSER & DENKMANN, DIMMOCK, GOULD & Company, the RICHARDSON interests and J. E. LINDSAY, purchasing the holdings of the LINDSAY Land & Lumber Company, previously referred to, and has at the present time a sawmill in active operation at Warren, Arkansas, and seventy thousand acres of short-leaf yellow pine. The officers are F. E. WEYERHAUSER, president; E. P. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary; Fred WYMAN, treasurer; N. H. CLAPP, Jr., assistant secretary and treasurer and general manager. The directors are F. WEYERHAUSER, C. H. AINSWORTH, J. E. LINDSAY, F. E. WEYERHAUSER, E. P. DENKMANN, Calvin AINSWORTH, Joe R. LANE, Fred WYMAN and M. N. RICHARDSON.

Mr. LINDSAY is still active in business, keeping in touch with the affairs of the companies with which he is connected, and spending several hours daily at his office. Local enterprises have always received the strong support of LINDSAY & PHELPS, and Mr. PHELPS was before his death, and Mr. LINDSAY now is, identified with many local organizations.

Mr. LINDSAY married in 1858 Mary Helen PHELPS at Schroon River, Essex County, New York. Three children were born of this union; Ralph E. LINDSAY; Mrs. Fred WYMAN, who died in 1905; and George F. LINDSAY. Mr. and Mrs. LINDSAY have two grandchildren, Edith Helen WYMAN and Edwin Blair LINDSAY.

Mr. LINDSAY has always manifested a deep interests in the religious and charitable institutions of the community. He is identified with the Baptist church, having been one of its most loyal supporters for many years. His interest in young men was evidenced by his liberal contribution to the Young Men's Christian Association.

The results of environment are very apparent in a man of Mr. LINDSAY's character. Long years of association with kindly mother nature as exemplified in her vast forests have intensified in him those inherent qualities which are characteristic of the grandest forest growth. Their physical qualities find their counterpart in his mentality strength of purpose, uprightness of character and those other admirable traits which are typified by the giants of the forest and the stalwarts among men. He has a minute knowledge of lumber and logs which always he is glad to share generously with his friends and of which they partake with the utmost confidence in his judgment, notably in his home city, the center of a great lumber interest, where and in the adjoining cities of Rock Island and Moline between the members of the LINDSAY & PHELPS Lumber Company and all competitive lumber and logging interests in the three cities Mr. Lindsay's thorough knowledge and sterling character are well known and highly honored.


While of a modest and retiring disposition, one's first impression of Mr. LINDSAY, unconsciously conveyed by him, is that of personal dignity; yet he is always approachable. He is never hasty in judgment and his decisions are always the result of intelligent deliberation. Perhaps the only voluntary exercise of his innate qualities that needs restraint is his ready generosity, his practical sympathy for misfortune. In the sense that makes the characteristic a strongly commendable one, he is one of the most conspicuous figures in the lumber industry of the middle west.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 6 months ago

BAWDEN: John DUVALL "Tim" does Boy Scouts lifelong, works for family printing business, marries Joyce Edith GARBER and has 3 children

"Tim" was the youngest of 2 born to George Ray "Ray" and Viola Katherine "Vi" DUVALL BAWDEN on 23 Sept 1929 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. His brother was George Ray "Binc" BAWDEN, Jr. (see blog)

At a young age Tim displayed a talent for the printing and publishing business when he founded a neighborhood newspaper called "Heights", which he wrote, printed and distributed himself for over 4 years from 1942-1946.

He graduated from Davenport [Central] High School in 1947, from St. Ambrose College in Davenport with a B.A. degree in 1950, and earned his Masters degree in Journalism from Northwestern University in Evanston, Cook, Illinois in 1952.

He was drafted into the Army where he served two years as Sergeant at Ft. Bliss, El Paso, Texas. At his father's death in April 1954, he returned to Davenport to enter the family printing business, BAWDEN Bros. Inc., with his uncle Harry ELDRIDGE BAWDEN and brother "Binc". He became president of Bawden Printing, Inc. and vice-resident of Advertising Communications, Inc. - a wholly-owned subsidiary of Bawden Bros., in Davenport and Iowa City, Iowa.

Tim's life-long interest in the Boy Scouts of America began in grade school when he joined Troop 4 at McKinley Elementary School on Davenport's Middle Road, under the leadership of Dr. Carl H. Matthey. He became troop leader during his St. Ambrose College years, began a scout troop while in the Army in El Paso. When he returned to Davenport in 1954, he became leader of Troop 4 at McKinley. Through the years, he has been leader of Explorer Post 4 at McKinley, Post 7 at the First Presbyterian Church in Davenport, and Troop 24 and Explorer Post 24 at Riverdale School in Bettendorf, Scott, Iowa. Over 100 boys have earned their Eagle Scout Award due to his efforts.

He served for 25 years on the local Boy Scout Council, and as a member of the National Boy Scout Committee as chairman of the National Boy Scout Advancement Committee. He received two of the highest awards: Silver Beaver for outstanding local service and Silver Antelope for exceptional effort on the regional level.

Tim married Joyce Garber on 19 Aug 1961 in Randolph, Fremont, Iowa's Presbyterian Church. She is the daughter of Chester Christopher and Mabel Ione CHAMBERS GARBER. Joyce was born 7 May 1935 on the family farm near the former village of Anderson, Fremont, Iowa. The CHAMBERS family came to Walnut Creek Twp, Fremont, Iowa from Pennsylvania in 1856.

Joyce graduated from Randolph {Iowa] High School and from the University of Iowa, Iowa City, Johnson, Iowa in May 1957 with a BA in Music Education. She taught school in Los Alamos, New Mexico, Fremont-Mills High School in Tabor, Iowa and J.B. Young Intermediate School in Davenport before her marriage.

She had been a leader in many educational and cultural organizations in the Davenport area, serving as president of the Junior Symphony, president of Chapter LM, PEO and president of the Pleasant Valley, Scott, Iowa school board. She sang in Davenport's First Presbyterian Church choir for 20 years and served on the advisory board for Women's Athletics at the University of Iowa.

The Bawdens have been active members of 1st Presbyterian Church where Tim served as elder and deacon. He was chosen Outstanding Young Man of the Year by the Junior Chamber of Commerce, president of the Outing Club, a Davenport dining, bowling and social club, and a member of Davenport Kiwanis Club.

They had 3 children all in Davenport:
1. Michael Thomas b 22 Aug 1962, graduated from Southern Methodist University in Dallas, Texas, married Caroline Susan Kammann 28 Jul 1984 in Crown Point, Indiana
2. Peter CHAMBERS born 14 Oct 1964; chosen high school all-state football lineman, earned Eagle Scout, graduated form Arizona State at Tempe in political science.
3. Cynthis/Cindy ELDRIDGE born 18 Oct 1967. Graduated from Colorado State University at Fort Collins.

Tim also commissioned a family gene study for Alice Richardson Sloane, C.G., author and compiler, Davenport. It was vinyl-bound, printed in 1986 in Decorah, Iowa, 290 pps with photos, no ISBN and no copyright in the possession of this author. There was no interaction between Ms. Sloane, the printer, or Tim and I am making it a several-years-long project to give it some integrity.

Tim died 15 May 1992 in Davenport. Ashes were given to the family.

BAWDEN: Ada, youngest dtr of Thos John and Anna "Annie" BENTON, involved in piano, music circles and talent booking agent, dies at 92

Ada BAWDEN, born 17 Feb 1889 in the 3215 Rockingham Rd. family home, Davenport/Rockingham Twp., Scott, Iowa.

She was active all her life in area music circles, employed as an agent by the Artist Representative Association for 41 years and the Schmidt Music Co. (no longer exists) for 17 years.

She was a performing pianist, choir director and organist for several Methodist churches.

She died 27 Dec 1981 in Davenport, alert in mind, still active as a talent booking agent and residing in the Rockingham Bawden home where the family had lived for almost 100 years.

Her father platted that part of southwest Davenport/Rockingham Twp and named 3 streets after his dtrs: Elsie, Minnie and Ada. Ada Avenue no longer exists - now Johnson Ave. This part of town is still known in county plat books as Bawden's Addition.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 6 months ago

BAWDEN: Minnie, dtr of Thos and Anna "Annie" BENTON, marries Carl S. FINNE and they lived on Minnie Ave. in Rockingham Twp, Scott, Iowa

Minnie BAWDEN FINNE was born 9 Nov 1884 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. She married 20 Jun 1907 in the Bawden family home on 3215 Rockingham Rd.

Carl was born 13 Jan 1885 in Sloan, Iowa. At their marriage he was a shoe salesman in the Boston Store, downtown Davenport, which became Petersen-Harned-Von Maur.

Carl died in the Minnie Avenue home 24 Jul 1957. Minnie died there 18 Jan 1958 and is buried with Carl in Davenport's Oakdale Memorial Gardens. They had no children. They were active members of St. John's Methodist Church in Davenport.

Minnie's father platted this southwest part of Davenport/Rockingham Twp and named 3 streets after daughters: Minnie, Elsie and Ada. The latter no longer exists...now Johnson Avenue. This area is noted in city plat books as Bawden's Addition.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 6 months ago

ELY Family Tree: Begins with Abraham ca 1790 m. Charlotte (nln), has 9 children in Pennsylvania (no city)

Abraham b ca 1790 in Pennsylvania. Married Charlotte (surname unk-Leander?) b ca 1801 in Pennsylvania. Abraham was a farmer.
They had:
1. John b ca 1822, d 1850; butcher
2. George b ca 1825; laborer
3. Abraham b ca 1828; laborer
4. David b ca 1829; laborer
5. Solomon b ca 1831; laborer
6. Samuel b ca 1833; laborer
7. Charlotte b ca 1837
8. Thomas LEANDER b Apr 1838 d. bef 1910; capitalist; - Solomon Leander Ely's father - this writer's legacy
9. Francis b ca 1842

8. Thomas LEANDER m. Elizabeth B. WILAND dtr Jacob WILAND and Sarah BRUMBAUGH. She was born 13 Oct 1841 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA, d. 1900.
They had:
1. Emma Laura b 30 May 1860 PA, d May 1952; m1. Harry SAGER bef 1877. He was b ca 1852 in Illinois; was confectioner. Children: Grace Elnora b May 1877, IL, d 1929 Syracuse, NY; Maud Evelyn b 6 Aug 1879 Mt. Carroll, m. Oscar W. BEDORE b 6 Apr 1877, NY. No children; occup 1918 marine engineer for Erie Railroad, lived 1917 Cresskill, Bergen, NJ
Emma m2 Neptune Seraphine PHILLIPS bef 1892, butcher in 1880, son of Serafine PHILLIPS and Mary (unk). He was born 1852 in Atlantic Ocean aboard "Marie Carolina Clark", birth registered in New York. He died 1894 in Mt. Carroll, Illinois. Children of Emma and Neptune: Neptune Seraphine Phillips b 14 Dec 1892 Mt. Carroll, Illinois; d 20 Jun 1970, Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona; Emma m. George F. PHILLIPS 6 Nov 1898 Carroll County, Illinois son of Charles and Elizabeth FINNINGER. George was born Jan 1858 in Illinois (no town). They have twin boys (Carroll County Birth Cert Index), both name unk, b 20 Mar 1899 in Mt. Carroll, Illinois, but they do not appear with the rest of the family in 1900 US Fed Census. It shows Emma had 3 children; all still alive in census.
2. Anna Margaret b 2 Feb 1862,PA d 5 Jul 1945; m. James B. MILLER, 1880 census she was dressmaker. One child noted: Clarence B. MILLER - no info.
3. Solomon LEANDER b 2 Dec 1864 in Chambersburg, m. Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie" BAWDEN in Davenport, Scott, IA, d 4 Jun 1904, Davenport, IA, bur Davenport's Oakdale Memorial Gardens - they had 2 sons: Edw WILAND/WEILAND and Stephen Lee/Lea...this writer's legacy. Lizzie dtr of Stephen Douglas and Mary Ella "Ella" WOODWARD BAWDEN born in Davenport, Scott, Iowa.
5. Jacob WILAND b 14 Dec 1867, d 3 Jan 1945, Mt. Carroll, Carroll, Illinois, never married, butcher
6. William Henry b 13 Mar 1872 PA, d 25 May 1894, never married.
7. Dora Elizabeth b 4 Mar 1882, Mt. Carroll, Illinois d. 4 Jan 1963 Shannon, Carroll, Illinois

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 7 months ago