Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Category: THE BAWDEN SIDE
ELDRIDGE: Jennie, 7th child of Jacob MULLEN and Mary HIGH WILLIAMS, marries attorney George Washington BAWDEN,
ELDRIDGE: Jacob Mullen, mover-and-shaker son of Duncan and Rachel BROWN ELDRIDGE, had 3 wives and 9 children
Stephen (nmn) BAWDEN, a generation or two back from 1791 Stephen, married Lucretia MATTHEWS 14 Oct 1754 in Perranuthnoe, witnessed by her parents. Lucretia was born 5 Aug 1732 dtr of Jas and Miriam (maiden?) MATTHEWS.
They had all in Perranuthnoe:
Stephen ch 19 May 1755 missing a generation of info on him.
Elizabeth ch 5 Nov 1756 d. (no date) 1768
Jane ch 16 Apr 1759
Miriam ch 24 May 1761,
Anne ch 12 Jun 1763
William ch 1 Mar 1767
Elizabeth ch 8 Jan 1769
Mary ch 9 Jun 1771
Caroline (nmn) was b/ch in Redruth, Cornwall, UK on 5 Oct 1825, the seventh child of Stephen and Elizabeth GILBERT / JELBERT.
She married Thomas VIVIAN b/ch 1826 in Redruth. They had children. Thomas was a stone mason. They lived and died in Redruth.
Caroline died 18 Feb 1912. I have Record Office log copy.
BAWDEN: Elizabeth, dtr of Stephen and Elizabeth GILBERT/JELBERT, marries Irishman Michael McCOOEY / McCOVEY from County Down.
Elizabeth (nmn) was the 6th child of Stephen and Elizabeth GILBERT / JELBERT b/ch 15 Mar 1823 in Redruth, Cornwall, UK.
She married Michael MacCOOEY / MCCOVEY from Newry, Down, Ireland (no date) probably in Redruth. They had 4 children (1861 Redruth census as MCCOVEY). She was in her father's will as executrix. She and Michael, a linen salesman, lived and died in Redruth.
Henry Bawden, fifth child of Stephen and Elizabeth GILBERT/JELBERT BAWDEN, was b/ch 1 Apr 1821 in Redruth, Cornwall, UK.
He married Josepha / Josephine MATTHEWS in Catslock, Cornwall on 22 May 1852. Henry is a carpenter in Moonta, a necessary occupation for the mining communities and machinery. They had 5 children: three in Moonta, 1 in Walleroo, and another in Victoria Town in South Australia.
Both Henry and Josepha died in the Moonta area. No info about children or death info.
Seperate bios for 2-8 will be on seperate pages.
I. Elizabeth nmn: ch 10 July 1838 on Green Lane in Redruth, UK. She died 24 June 1840 in Redruth, before the family moved to Cuba
2. Stephen Douglas: ch 13 Sept 1843 in Cobra, Cuba, m. Mary Ella "Ella" WOODWARD in Davenport on 20 May 1869 in a double ceremony in the WOODWARD home with Ella's sister Cornelia Rebecca "Cornie" and JB (John Baker) PHELPS. Stephen died 1 Aug 1917 in his 1315 E. 11th St. home in Davenport. Ella died in their home 18 July 1932. They had 4 children: Mary Elizabeth, Benjamin WOODWARD, Edward TERRILL, and Stephen PHELPS They are buried in Oakdale Cemetery.
3. Dr. Henry Lightbourne: ch 28 Dec 1845 in Cobra, Cuba, m. Bella/Bell (Isabella?) Murtha / Martha ANGEL / ANGELL on 28 Jan 1877 in the Presbyterian Church at 6th and Brady in Davenport, Scott, IA. They divorced. Henry m. Ida ELBERTS (no b/d date). They were divorced. Henry died 22 Jan 1919 in Ismay, Montana and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery. Henry and Bella had 5 children: Harry E., Dr. George Stephen, James Albert, Clark J, and Mae Ella.
4. William: ch 2 Feb 1849 in England (no location, poss. Redruth), d. 10 Apr 1851 in Norristown, Montgomery, Pennsylvania
5. Mary TERRILL: b 9 May 1851 in Norristown, Pennsylvania, moved to Rockingham when she was 9 yo. m. John LOWERY/LOWRY ILES in Davenport 7 Feb 1871. Mary died 6 Feb 1894, John died 17 Dec 1939 in Magnolia Springs, Alabama. They had 3 children: Mary Louise, Alice Gansert, John Thomas all in Davenport.
6. Thomas John b 10 Feb 1853 in Norristown, Pennsylvania, came to Rockingham when he was 4 yo. m. Anna "Annie" BENTON in Davenport, dtr of Richard and Margaret PENNYPACKER HIGH, b. 26 Mar 1858. Thos platted that part of town known in plat books as Bawden's Addn and he named 3 streets after his daughters (no sons). Ada Street no longer exists - now Johnson Ave., Elsie Avenue, Minnie Avenue. Thos died 14 Jan 1914 in the family home he built at 3215 Rockingham Rd. Anna died there 29 Nov 1933.
7. George Washington: this writer's lineage b. 9 May 1859 in Norristown, Pennsylvania. m. Jennie Eldridge, dtr of Jacob Mullen and Mary HIGH WILLIAMS on 14 Mar 1885 in Davenport in the ELDRIDGE home. They had 3 sons: Albert Ralph, George Ray and Harry ELDRIDGE. George Washington Bawden died in Excelsior Spgs, Missouri of diabetes on 23 Mar 1905 and is buried in Oakdale with Jennie on her father's lot. Jennie died1 Apr 1959 in Davenport in her daughter-in-law's home.
8. Albert L. b 18 July 1861 in Rockingham, Scott, IA; d 10 Aug 1861 and is buried with his parents in Oakdale.
Matilda (nmn) BAWDEN, youngest child and dtr of STEPHEN (nmn) and ELIZABETH GILBERT/JELBERT, was b/ch in Redruth, Cornwall, UK on 19 July 1830.
It's not known when she sailed, but 1860 Iowa federal census says she was part of brother Stephen's household in Rockingham Township, Scott County, Iowa.
She married GEORGE KNOTWELL (no date, no bio)probably in Davenport, Scott, IA. Based on historical naming, they had a daughter, only listed in Davenport's Oakdale Memorial Gardens, aka Oakdale Cemetery, as M.B. Knotwell, female, 5 yo, who died of 'brain fever' (cholera). Baby KNOTWELL is buried with uncle Stephen and wife Mary TERRILL BAWDEN in Oakdale.
Matilda Knotwell is mentioned in her father's will (1861 in Redruth) as being in North America.
No burial info as of 12-2011.