Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles

sort: Date Alphabetical
view: full | list

Journals and Posts


Showing: (clear)
Category: THE WOODWARD SIDE

John and Phebe Mathis Forman

Does anyone have this couple in their tree?
Could be Jonathan, too.
I found a Phebe Forman in Old Tennent Church Yard in Tennent, NJ. The John Forman marker was unreadable.
I only have these two names...no dates or locations.
John/Jonathan and Phebe Mathis Forman were parents of Mary Forman who married Joseph Smith Woodward in Lumberton, Burlington County, NJ, on 12 Mar 1811.
Mary was swimming near Tucker's Beach (location?) and Mary was carried out beyond her ability to swim back. Joseph rescued her and they married.
Both Joseph and Mary Forman Woodward are buried in Davenport, Scott, IA's Oakdale Memorial Gardens. They are on Find-a-Grave.

ELDRIDGE: Jacob MULLEN merits an entry in The History of Davenport and Scott County, Iowa 1882

Jacob M. ELDRIDGE, arriving in Davenport in 1845, became an active and valuable factor in the business interests of the city and at the same time his opinions carried weight and his labors produced substantial results in financial circles. While he won success, his interests were never so self-centered that business excluded participation in projects and measures of progressive citizenship. On the contrary he was ever alert to the best interests of the community and his cooperation constituted a valuable force in inaugurating measures which were of public benefit. A native of New Jersey, Jacob M. ELDRIDGE was born at Haddonfield, New Jersey, November 20, 1824, a son of Duncan CAMPBELL and Rachel BROWN ELDRIDGE. Duncan was the first postmaster of Davenport.

Rachel died when Jacob was but four years of age and the boy then went to live with his widowed ELDRIDGE grandmother. His father, having remarried to Rebecca LIPPINCOTT of the publishing family, came west and had conducted a store in Davenport at the time of the death of the grandfather. Jacob M. ELDRIDGE, then a boy of thirteen years, was thrown upon his own resources and soon afterward commenced teaming.

Carefully saving his earnings, it was not long before he was able to purchase a team and in that field of activity he continued to labor for some time. Later he turned his attention to clerking and, actuated by the laudable ambition which was ever one of his strong characteristics, he soon made it possible to become the owner of a mercantile enterprise. This he conducted until 1845, when he came to Davenport, his attention having already been directed to this city by the fact that it was the place of his father's residence. He arrived in Rock Island [Illinois] on the 23d of December after a two months' journey from Philadelphia and spent Christmas eve in Davenport.

The next spring, however, he returned to the east to settle up his business affairs in that section of the country and in the succeeding fall again came back to this city. He had entered land from the government about three miles northeast of Davenport, for which he paid the usual price of a dollar and a quarter per acre.
The improvements which he placed upon it and the natural rise in value consequent upon the rapid settlement of this section of the country enabled him in 1874 to dispose of that farm for one hundred and twenty-five dollars per acre.

He was one of the first land agents of this city and followed that pursuit during much of his life. His keen judgment and sagacity enabled him to make judicious investments and profitable sales and at the same time he contributed to the substantial improvement of this section of the state by his careful manipulation of
realty interests.

At all times Mr. ELDRIDGE was mindful of his opportunity to promote public progress and was actuated by a public-spirited devotion to the general good that was manifest in many tangible ways. He was prominent in the movement that extended the Chicago & Rock Island [rail]road to the river and continued its construction across the state as the Mississippi & Missouri road. The second line afterward consolidated, forming the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific. Mr. ELDRIDGE was also a member of the company that secured the franchise for the
second railroad bridge and he put forth earnest effort wherever he believed it possible to secure the adoption of a project that promised material benefit to the city, county and state. The town of ELDRIDGE was laid out by him and the city of ELDRIDGE, North Dakota, was named in his honor, though he never lived in either.

It was through the influence of Mr. ELDRIDGE that Frank P. BLAIR became a resident of this city and a most important factor in its later upbuilding.

In the field of politics Mr. ELDRIDGE was equally well known and prominent. He was a delegate to the convention held in Iowa City in 1855, which led to the organization of the republican party in this state. In 1872 he was sent as a delegate from Iowa to the convention of liberal republicans that nominated Horace GREELEY for the presidency. He regarded it as the duty as well as the privilege of every American man to uphold by his ballot and his influence the principles in which he believed and, while he never sought nor desired office for himself, he stood staunchly in support of those issues which he regarded as vital to
good government.

He conceived and instituted the idea of placing a memorial tablet in the rotunda of the courthouse in honor of the Scott county pioneersa tablet which will preserve for future generations the names of several hundred residents who came here prior to 1848. He was one of the oldest and most faithful members of the Christian church, to the support of which he contributed generously, while in its various activities he took helpful part. One of the most honored members of the Old Settlers' Association, he filled all of its offices, including that of president. He was also president of the Board of Trade at one time and instituted various projects which were accomplished through the medium of that association.

In 1848 Mr. Eldridge was married to Miss Mary Louisa WOODWARD, who passed away eighteen months later. In June, 1851, he married Miss Mary HIGH WILLIAMS, and on 28th of September, 1866, he wed Agnes SMITH, who survives him. She was a daughter of Robert Smith, a farmer by occupation, who retired in 1861 and established his home in Davenport, where he spent his remaining days, dying at the age of eighty-eight years. The six children of Mr. ELDRIDGE were all born of the second marriage, namely : George Wallace., Mrs. Reuben R. ELDRIDGE [Dr. Elizabeth], Mrs. Samuel LYTER GLASPELL [Kate], Mrs. Carl E. SCHLEGEL [Minnie], Mrs. George W. BAWDEN [Jennie - this blog author's g-grandmother], and Frank Wallace.

The death of Mr. ELDRIDGE occurred June 8, 1892, and brought a sense of personal bereavement to a large majority of Davenport citizens, for during the many years of his residence here he was honored and respected by all who knew him. The value of his public work cannot be overestimated and his record furnishes a splendid example for emulation in its public-spirited devotion to the general good. As the architect of his own fortunes he built wisely and well and did equally good work for the city, his name being on the roll of the representative men whose labors have constituted the chief elements in progress and improvement here.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 7 months ago

PHELPS FAMILY HISTORY: Israel b 3 Apr 1681 in Westfield, Hampden, MA, m. Rachel JONES (no info)

I. Israel PHELPS b 3 Apr 1681 in Westfield, Hampden, Massachusetts; m 7 Mar 1703 Enfield, Hartford, Connecticut to Rachel JONES (no info) Israel died 16 Apr 1713 in Enfield

[Israel's older brother John PHELPS (jr) b 8 Dec 1779 in Colebrook, d Oct 1839 Granville, Licking, Ohio]

A. Israel's son David PHELPS b 25 Aug 1716 in Enfield, m. 29 Mar 1737 in Enfield, Margaret COLTON, dtr of Josiah COLTON (no mother), Josiah was born 30 Dec 1685 in Longmeadow, Hampden, Massachusetts. m. Margaret PEASE {no info), 6 Jan 1706 in Enfield. David died 13 Jan 1803 in Enfield.
1. David's son John PHELPS b 11 Feb 1756 in Colebrook, Litchfield, Connecticut, m. Anna BAKER on 22 Mar 1779 in Colebrook, who was born 23 Apr 1738 Colebrook. John d 13 Oct 1841 in Colebrook; Anna d 4 Apr 1797 in Colebrook.

John's son Elihu PHELPS b 10 Apr 1782 in Colebrook, m. 19 Aug 1816 in Schroon [River?], Essex, New York Margaret CROOKSHANKS/CRUIKSHANKS (var sp) who was born 1795 (no date) in Salem, Washington, New York (no death date), Elihu died 7 Dec 1856 in Schroon.
1. Rensselaer (Female) b 19 Apr 1818 Schroon, Essex, New York; d 27 Apr 1857 - no spouse info
2. Orin J. b 29 Nov 1819, Schroon, no death date, Essex, NY, m. Jane MAYNARD, Jane POWELL 5 Oct 1853 Schroon.
3. James Francis b 6 Oct 1821, Schroon d 3 Apr 1906 in home 1223 3rd Ave., Davenport, Scott, Iowa, bur. Oakdale Memorial Gardens, aka Oakdale Cemetery, Davenport, m. 1. Lucinda TYRRELL b 1828 m. 1848 (no date) in Schroon, 2. Jennett FINCH b 5 Jun 1829, m. 20 Dec 1854.
4. Sanford b 26 Aug 1823 Schroon, d 31 Oct 1842 Schroon
5. Anna b 6 Jul 1825 Schroon d 4 May 1882 Schroon m. 18 Apr 1844, N. Hudson, Essex, New York, Daniel WYMAN b 6 Apr 1816 (no info)
6. Elizabeth b 25 Aug 1827 Schroon m. 12 Apr 1849 Schroon, Pelopidas POTTER b 26 Oct 1820. No death info for Liz.
7. Margaret b 11 Feb 1830 Schroon, m. 10 Feb 1847 Crown Point, Essex, NY, Calvin Walker HEUSTIS b 1817 (no date), no dod for Margaret.
8. Mary Helen b 31 Jan 1832, Schroon, d 22 Oct 1912, Davenport Scott, Iowa bur. Oakdale, m. 8 Jul 1859 Schroon River, Essex, NY, James Edwin LINDSAY b 12 Apr 1826 (see sep blog), Lindsay died 13 Oct 1915 in Schroon?? or Davenport, Scott, Iowa
9. Emily b 19 Jun 1834 Schroon, m. 9 May 1859, Schroon, Darius Jacobs RICHARDS, no dod for Emily
10. Amelia b 29 Aug 1837 Schroon, d 29 May 1919 New Rochelle, New York, m. Hawley Silas HEPBURN b 2 Mar 1840
11. John Baker (J.B.) b 19 May 1840 Schroon m. 20 May 1889 Davenport, Cornelia Rebecca WOODWARD ("Cornie")
b Jan 1864 in double ceremony with sister Mary Ella "Ella" WOODWARD and Stephen Douglas BAWDEN in the Woodward
home in Rockingham Twp, Scott, Iowa, dtrs of Benjamin Beckwith and Elizabeth Evans MORGAN WOODWARD. JB died of heart attck 16 Jul 1900 in Davenport. Bur Oakdale. This writer's link thru Stephen BAWDEN.
12. Eunice Ellen b 30 Sept 1843 Schroon, d 17 Jun 1928, Davenport; m. Major Eugene B. HAYWARD on 7 Apr 1864 in Schroon while Eugene was on a brief furlough. He was born 25 Oct 1842 in Essex County, New York. He died 3 Feb 1927 Davenport. 1 son Elmer Leland b 26 May 1866 in Port Henry, Essex, New York and 1 dtr Ellen Imogen b 1877 (no date).
13. Charles b 1855 no date, Schroon, no other information.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 7 months ago

PHELPS: James Francis, s/o Elihu and Margaret CRUIKSHANKS, m Lucinda TYRRELL and Jennett FINCH, farmer and lumberman

The history of Davenport and its leading citizens contains no name which awakens a feeling of more sincere respect and honest regard than that of James Francis PHELPS, who, in the years of his connection with the city, came to be recognized as an influential factor in business circles and also as one whose efforts in other directions were of far-reaching and beneficial import.

He was born October 6, 1821, at Schroon, Essex, New York. The public school system of that state afforded him his educational privileges and his experiences in youth were those of agricultural life, for he remained upon his father's farm until thirty years of age. Thinking to find broader opportunities in different business lines, he then removed to West Troy and engaged in the lumber business. From that time until his death he was identified with the lumber trade save for a brief period. He continued to make his home in the Empire state until 1876, when he removed to Middlebury, Vermont, settling on a farm with the hope that the experiences of outdoor life might prove beneficial to his health, which had become impaired. The year 1885 witnessed his arrival in Davenport, where he retained his residence until his demise. Since first embarking in the lumber business he retained his interest in the business and became a prominent representative of the lumber trade in this section of the country. He was a leading stockholder in the Lindsey & PHELPS Lumber Company and also in the Cloquet Lumber Company of Cloquet, Minnesota. In business affairs his judgment was sound, his sagacity keen and his enterprise unfailing, and in the years of an active career he won substantial success, his record being that of a man whose course in business affairs measured up at all times to the full standard of honorable, upright manhood.

At Schroon, New York, in 1848, Mr. PHELPS was united in marriage to Miss Lucinda TYRRELL, and unto them was born a son, A. T. PHELPS, who is now Cashier of the National Bank of Watervliet, New York. The wife and mother
died April 5, 1853, and on the 20th of December, 1854, Mr. PHELPS married Miss Jeanette FINCH. Oakdale Cemetery records it as Jennette.

Mr. PHELPS attended and supported the Methodist church. He was a man of high ideals, progressive in citizenship and ready at all times to give loyal support to those projects and movements which are intended for the betterment of the community. He traveled extensively, finding great pleasure in visiting points of scenic and historic interest, especially in his own country. His attachment for America was one of the deep-rooted interests of his life, his love of country being the expression of an unfaltering patriotism.

He continued his residence in Davenport until his death, which occurred April 3, 1906, and was the occasion of deep regret to many who knew and honored him. The physical and moral life were intensely vital in him and the ringing response which his character gave to every test made him a man honored and respected wherever known and most of all where best known. While he won for himself a substantial and creditable position in business circles, he also applied his knowledge and working powers to wider and more impersonal interests in which the general public was largely the beneficiary.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 6 months ago

LINDSAY: James Edwin, logging king in Village of E. Davenport, m. Mary Helen PHELPS in Schroon River, Essex, NY

James Edwin LINDSAY DOD 1915 Oct 13 Davenport, Scott, IA, Chronic Myocarditis,
interred 1915 Oct 15, Sec 20, Lot 21, Inter # 8670


Prominent for many years among the mill operators of the Mississippi river were James E. LINDSAY and John B. PHELPS, who as LINDSAY & PHELPS were for nearly forty years connected with the manufacture of lumber at Davenport.

James Edwin LINDSAY, the subject of this sketch, was born at Schroon, Essex, New York, April 12, 1826. His ancestors came from Scotland in 1731 and settled at Argyle, New York. His great-great-grandfather was Donald LINDSAY, who was interested in the grant which was extended to Laughlin Campbell and was one of the hundred founders of that early Argyle community.

His training between 1826 and 1847 terminated with one year's schooling in civil engineering at Norwich, Vermont. His father was a hotel keeper, farmer and lumber manufacturer combined. Young LINDSAY worked at measuring and the hauling of logs at his father's mill, a water power affair propelled by the old-style "flutter wheel." This sawmill was facetiously called the "Thunder Shower Mill" on account of its utter inability to operate unless a frequent rain would kindly fill the small creek dam from which it drew its water power.

Young LINDSAY was in an atmosphere that was apt to make him a lumberman and included his neighbors Israel Johnson, the inventor of the much used "mulay" saw, and Philetas Sawyer, the long time prominent lumberman and for many years United States senator from Wisconsin.

Logs measured about two standards to the log, a standard, according to Dimmock's rule, being measured on the basis of thirteen-foot log, nineteen inches at the top end. They were made up of perhaps twenty-five per cent clear at fifty dollars a thousand; twenty-five per cent second clear at forty dollars; twenty-five per cent select at twenty dollars; and twenty-five per cent common, worth fourteen dollars. Before his twenty-first birthday, a young LINDSAY already had some experience in the logging business in partnership with his brother-in-law John Tompkins. The firm was named LINDSAY & TOMPKINS and existed for four years.

In the fall of 1856, the year he was thirty years old, he came west, and with his savings and what had been entrusted to him, secured about seven thousand dollars worth of lands through land warrants in the Black River Falls (Wisconsin) country.

In March, 1861, Mr. LINDSAY located permanently at Davenport, Iowa, and his Black River timber was logged and rafted to Davenport, where it was sawed into lumber by the thousand at the mills at that place. He had formed a partnership with E. HARRIS, of Queensberry, New York, the understanding being that Mr. LINDSAY was to come west and look about and take an interest in whatever looked most favorable. The absolute trust of his partner in Mr. Lindsay's judgment seems to have colored his subsequent career. He had not only his own interests to further but also had absolutely in his keeping the interests of another. This tended to make him conservative, and he has always been a conservative man. This conservatism, however, should not be misjudged, for he has ever had an aggressive and enthusiastic confidence in the future values of timber lands.

Later in 1861 Mr. LINDSAY secured a lease of the RENWICK mill in Davenport. Shortly afterward John B. PHELPS bought Mr. Harris' interest and the firm became LINDSAY & PHELPS, and it has so continued barring its incorporation in 1890, for nearly fifty years. In 1866 LINDSAY & PHELPS built a mill at Davenport. It started with a circular saw; a gang saw was added in 1867, at that time the only gang mill in this section of the country; and in 1880, a band mill was added and other necessary machinery for a more modern plant.

The mill at Davenport continued in operation until the close of the season of 1919 a period of thirty-nine years. The corporation of LINDSAY & PHELPS Company is still being maintained, the present officers being J. E. LINDSAY, president; R. E. LINDSAY, vice president; Fred Wyman, secretary and treasurer; and George F. LINDSAY, assistant secretary and treasurer.

John Baker PHELPS, Mr. Lindsay's long time partner, died in July, 1900.

Mr. Lindsay's confidence in pine timber was of the broader kind, and as early as 1882, with his close friend and associate, C. R. Ainsworth, of Moline, Illinois, he personally located the first holdings of the LINDSAY Land & Lumber Company in Arkansas. Perhaps it may be due to Mr. LINDSAY and Mr. Ainsworth that they be called the pioneer northern lumbermen in Arkansas, and surely they were among the earliest to purchase timber lands in that section. The company's first officers were J. E. LINDSAY, president; C. R. Ainsworth, vice president; J. B. PHELPS, secretary; William Renwick, treasurer. The late Hon. D. N. Richardson, a newspaper man and close associate in those early days of investment in the south, asked Mr. LINDSAY in conversation one day,

"Is there a chance for an outsider to put some money in your southern timber company, Mr. LINDSAY?"
"Not for you, a newspaper man," was the reply, "for it takes long patience and years of constant outgo of money to work out a proposition of this kind, and you who are accustomed to annual dividends would lack the 'sand' to stay with such a proposition." Without hesitancy Mr. Richardson replied, "We have the sand and only ask you to make the opportunity."

Mr. RICHARDSON went in, and up to the time of his death, that quality of sand first shown was ever apparent.

Resulting from Mr. RICHARDSON's enthusiasm later came the RICHARDSON Land & Timber Company, with D. N. RICHARDSON as its first president. The present officers are J. J. RICHARDSON, president; Fred WYMANH, vice president; and M. N. Richardson, secretary and treasurer. The directors are J. E. LINDSAY, Rebecca RENWICK, J. J. RICHARDSON, Fred WYMAN and J. B, RICHARDSON. This company made purchases in Little River, Dallas, Sevier and Howard counties, Arkansas, and later extended its operations into Mississippi. At one time its holdings amounted to one hundred and fifty thousand acres in Arkansas. At this time it owns nearly fifty thousand acres in Mississippi.

In 1884 when RENWICK, SHAW and CROSSETT went north to Cloquet, Minnesota, and organized the Cloquet Lumber Company with George S. Shaw as its manager, Mr. LINDSAY and Mr. PHELPS became members of that company, Mr. LINDSAY now being a director.

The big trees of the Pacific coast next attracted LINDSAY & Phelps' attention and, associated with Weyerhaeuser & Denkmann and the Richardson interests, they organized the Sound Timber Company on December 23, 1899. The officers are J. E. LINDSAY, president; Fred C. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary and treasurer; and with F. WEYERHAUSER, Joe R. LANE and M. N. RICHARDSON form its board of directors. This company owns something over fifty thousand acres of fir, cedar and spruce in Skagit, Snohomish, Whatcom and King counties, Washington, and Lane county, Oregon.

Interest was again directed to the south in 1901, and Mr. LINDSAY, with Weyerhaeuser & Denkmann, the Laird, Norton Company, Dimmock, Gould & Company, and the Richardson interests, formed the Southland Lumber Company
on May 4 of that year, for the purchase of timber lands in Louisiana. Its officers are: F. E. WEYERHAUSER, president; F. C. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary and treasurer; Fred Wyman, assistant secretary and treasurer. The directors are F. WEYERHAUSER, E. P. DENKMANN, H. A. AINSWORTH, J. E. LINDSAY, F. S. BELL, F. H. THATCHER, Fred C. DENKMANN, Calvin AINSWORTH, Joe R. LANE, M. N. RICHARDSON and Fred WYMAN. The present holdings are in southwestern Louisiana and approximate one hundred and thirty thousand acres of longleaf yellow pine.

The Southern Lumber Company of Arkansas was organized January 28,1902, by WEYERHAUSER & DENKMANN, DIMMOCK, GOULD & Company, the RICHARDSON interests and J. E. LINDSAY, purchasing the holdings of the LINDSAY Land & Lumber Company, previously referred to, and has at the present time a sawmill in active operation at Warren, Arkansas, and seventy thousand acres of short-leaf yellow pine. The officers are F. E. WEYERHAUSER, president; E. P. DENKMANN, vice president; George F. LINDSAY, secretary; Fred WYMAN, treasurer; N. H. CLAPP, Jr., assistant secretary and treasurer and general manager. The directors are F. WEYERHAUSER, C. H. AINSWORTH, J. E. LINDSAY, F. E. WEYERHAUSER, E. P. DENKMANN, Calvin AINSWORTH, Joe R. LANE, Fred WYMAN and M. N. RICHARDSON.

Mr. LINDSAY is still active in business, keeping in touch with the affairs of the companies with which he is connected, and spending several hours daily at his office. Local enterprises have always received the strong support of LINDSAY & PHELPS, and Mr. PHELPS was before his death, and Mr. LINDSAY now is, identified with many local organizations.

Mr. LINDSAY married in 1858 Mary Helen PHELPS at Schroon River, Essex County, New York. Three children were born of this union; Ralph E. LINDSAY; Mrs. Fred WYMAN, who died in 1905; and George F. LINDSAY. Mr. and Mrs. LINDSAY have two grandchildren, Edith Helen WYMAN and Edwin Blair LINDSAY.

Mr. LINDSAY has always manifested a deep interests in the religious and charitable institutions of the community. He is identified with the Baptist church, having been one of its most loyal supporters for many years. His interest in young men was evidenced by his liberal contribution to the Young Men's Christian Association.

The results of environment are very apparent in a man of Mr. LINDSAY's character. Long years of association with kindly mother nature as exemplified in her vast forests have intensified in him those inherent qualities which are characteristic of the grandest forest growth. Their physical qualities find their counterpart in his mentality strength of purpose, uprightness of character and those other admirable traits which are typified by the giants of the forest and the stalwarts among men. He has a minute knowledge of lumber and logs which always he is glad to share generously with his friends and of which they partake with the utmost confidence in his judgment, notably in his home city, the center of a great lumber interest, where and in the adjoining cities of Rock Island and Moline between the members of the LINDSAY & PHELPS Lumber Company and all competitive lumber and logging interests in the three cities Mr. Lindsay's thorough knowledge and sterling character are well known and highly honored.


While of a modest and retiring disposition, one's first impression of Mr. LINDSAY, unconsciously conveyed by him, is that of personal dignity; yet he is always approachable. He is never hasty in judgment and his decisions are always the result of intelligent deliberation. Perhaps the only voluntary exercise of his innate qualities that needs restraint is his ready generosity, his practical sympathy for misfortune. In the sense that makes the characteristic a strongly commendable one, he is one of the most conspicuous figures in the lumber industry of the middle west.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 7 months ago

ELY Family Tree: Begins with Abraham ca 1790 m. Charlotte (nln), has 9 children in Pennsylvania (no city)

Abraham b ca 1790 in Pennsylvania. Married Charlotte (surname unk-Leander?) b ca 1801 in Pennsylvania. Abraham was a farmer.
They had:
1. John b ca 1822, d 1850; butcher
2. George b ca 1825; laborer
3. Abraham b ca 1828; laborer
4. David b ca 1829; laborer
5. Solomon b ca 1831; laborer
6. Samuel b ca 1833; laborer
7. Charlotte b ca 1837
8. Thomas LEANDER b Apr 1838 d. bef 1910; capitalist; - Solomon Leander Ely's father - this writer's legacy
9. Francis b ca 1842

8. Thomas LEANDER m. Elizabeth B. WILAND dtr Jacob WILAND and Sarah BRUMBAUGH. She was born 13 Oct 1841 in Chambersburg, Franklin, PA, d. 1900.
They had:
1. Emma Laura b 30 May 1860 PA, d May 1952; m1. Harry SAGER bef 1877. He was b ca 1852 in Illinois; was confectioner. Children: Grace Elnora b May 1877, IL, d 1929 Syracuse, NY; Maud Evelyn b 6 Aug 1879 Mt. Carroll, m. Oscar W. BEDORE b 6 Apr 1877, NY. No children; occup 1918 marine engineer for Erie Railroad, lived 1917 Cresskill, Bergen, NJ
Emma m2 Neptune Seraphine PHILLIPS bef 1892, butcher in 1880, son of Serafine PHILLIPS and Mary (unk). He was born 1852 in Atlantic Ocean aboard "Marie Carolina Clark", birth registered in New York. He died 1894 in Mt. Carroll, Illinois. Children of Emma and Neptune: Neptune Seraphine Phillips b 14 Dec 1892 Mt. Carroll, Illinois; d 20 Jun 1970, Phoenix, Maricopa, Arizona; Emma m. George F. PHILLIPS 6 Nov 1898 Carroll County, Illinois son of Charles and Elizabeth FINNINGER. George was born Jan 1858 in Illinois (no town). They have twin boys (Carroll County Birth Cert Index), both name unk, b 20 Mar 1899 in Mt. Carroll, Illinois, but they do not appear with the rest of the family in 1900 US Fed Census. It shows Emma had 3 children; all still alive in census.
2. Anna Margaret b 2 Feb 1862,PA d 5 Jul 1945; m. James B. MILLER, 1880 census she was dressmaker. One child noted: Clarence B. MILLER - no info.
3. Solomon LEANDER b 2 Dec 1864 in Chambersburg, m. Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie" BAWDEN in Davenport, Scott, IA, d 4 Jun 1904, Davenport, IA, bur Davenport's Oakdale Memorial Gardens - they had 2 sons: Edw WILAND/WEILAND and Stephen Lee/Lea...this writer's legacy. Lizzie dtr of Stephen Douglas and Mary Ella "Ella" WOODWARD BAWDEN born in Davenport, Scott, Iowa.
5. Jacob WILAND b 14 Dec 1867, d 3 Jan 1945, Mt. Carroll, Carroll, Illinois, never married, butcher
6. William Henry b 13 Mar 1872 PA, d 25 May 1894, never married.
7. Dora Elizabeth b 4 Mar 1882, Mt. Carroll, Illinois d. 4 Jan 1963 Shannon, Carroll, Illinois

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 8 months ago

BAWDEN: Stephen PHELPS, youngest of Stephen Douglas and "Ella" WOODWARD, marries Edna CAMERON HASKINS, becomes local lawyer, asst county atty, alderman

Stephen PHELPS born 5 May 1877 in Davenport was named for his uncle.

He graduated form the University of Iowa Law School in Iowa City in 1894, and entered the law office of Julius LISCHER and George BAWDEN in Davenport. He joined the firm of DAVIDSON and LANE to take charge of their abstract and loan department. He served Scott County as an Assistant County Attorney, was nominated by the Republican party for County Attorney and was elected alderman of the 6th ward. He also managed the Valley Place Investment Company which was organized to sell lots in BAWDEN's Addition in west Davenport [still exists in Davenport Plat Books as BAWDEN's Addition].

Stephen married Edna Cameron HASKIN(S) 7 Sept 1905 in Trinity Cathedral, Davenport. She was the dtr of Charles and Alice Martha ROBESON HASKINS. Mr. HASKINS operated a livery stable on W. 4th St. in Davenport. The couple had no children and lived with the family at 1315 E. 11th St.

Stephen was an extremely outgoing and popular man and was a member of Phi Kappa Psi Fraternity at U of I, the Commercial and Outing Clubs, and worked for many Davenport charities. He was a member of Trinity Cathedral, serving as Vestryman and Clerk and was also Treasurer for the Iowa Diocese of the Episcopal Church.

His sudden death of a stroke in the family home 13 Dec 1914 at age 37 shocked Davenport; flags were flown at half-mast, the mayor issued a special tribute and the newspapers carried a lengthy article which stated "Stephen BAWDEN had more friends than any man in Davenport, his popularity extending to all classes."

For several years after her husband's death, Edna HASKINS BAWDEN lived with Stephen's uncle's widow Jennie ELDRIDGE BAWDEN, wife of George Washington BAWDEN.

On 1 Oct 1919, Edna married James D. MASON in his parent's Des Moines, Polk, Iowa home. James was the son of James and Mary SAMPLE MASON of Davenport and a grand nephew of Jennie's mother, Mary HIGH WILLIAMS ELDRIDGE

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 8 months ago

BAWDEN: Edward TERRILL, 3rd child of Stephen Douglas and "Ella" WOODWARD, fire insurance adjustor and honorary policeman, carries badge and pistol

Edward TERRILL BAWDEN born 16 Nov 1874 in Davenport, graduated from Davenport High School and in 1894 realized his boyhood ambition becoming a fire insurance adjustor and inspector [author-compiler Alice Richardson Sloane, C.G. - no cites].

He accepted a job with Western Adjustment and Inspection Company in Chicago, Cook, Illinois. He became branch manager of the Cincinnati, Ohio office which covered a five-state territory. At age 31, his health failing, he returned to Davenport where he assisted the family in business affairs and served as vice president and director of Valley Place Investment Company which was the name of the family business selling land in the section of Rockingham Twp where his father owned from Rockingham Road to the river at OFFERMAN's Island - now Credit Island, a city park.

He never married, and died in the family home at 1315 E. 11th St. on 24 April 1924. He attended the Episcopal Church - probably Trinity Episcopal Cathedral not far from E. 11th St.

Richard BALLARD, who worked for the family drug store, BALLARD Drug and Dental Co., 106 W. 2nd, in Davenport, recalled Edward as one of their customers, purchasing large quantities of morphine tablets, a legal over-the-counter drug. He also recalled that Edward spent a good deal of time at the Police Station and was made an honorary Davenport policeman which entitled him to wear a large silver star on his coat and carry a nickel-plated revolver.

A newspaper article, pub date uncertain (1905-1924), probably in Davenport Democrat. I have copied it without edits.
Ed Bawden (torn) All of His Jobs: Ed Bawden will retain all of his jobs under the present administration, in spite of the fact that he is a consistent Republican. Mr. Bawden was the first man to greet Chief Boettcher after the latters appointment and hit him for a job or rather for reappointment to the several jobs which he has been holding for a number of years.
Ed is in a class all by himself, when it comes to office holding. He has served the city for years without remuneration. True, his salary has been placed at 23 cents a year, but Lieutenant Frank Lew of the police department, who makes out the police department payroll and is some artist at arithmetic, figured out a system of docking Ed two cents a day when the latter takes his summer vacation each year. So Ed owes the city $3.56 now instead of being an additional burden to the payroll.
Among Mr. Bawdens official positions are those of assistant chief, assistant lieutenant, assistant sergeant, assistant detective, assistant patrolman and assistant police magistrate. He is a handy all-around man at this station , doing whatever he can, and doing it well, just because he wants to be doing something.
I just like to be around, said Ed, in response to a query this morning. It makes me more contented with my own physical ills when I see the poor devils who gravitate into the station every day. I have enough to eat and wear and a good place to sleep and plenty of friends. Many of those who come in here every day have none of these blessings.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 8 months ago

BAWDEN: Benjamin WOODWARD "Ben", 2nd child of Stephen Douglas and Ella WOODWARD, helps uncle JB PHELPS in lumber industry, died age 46 in L.A., California

Benjamin WOODWARD born 3 Nov 1872 in Davenport, graduated from Davenport High School and began his career with uncle JB [John BAKER] PHELPS in the office of LINDSAY-PHELPS Lumber Company.

He worked for the Cloquet Lumber Company in Minnesota, the Pigeon River Lumber Company in South Carolina and finally, before poor health caused him to retire, he was manager of the northwest territory for Lacy and Company, one of the largest lumber factoring concerns in the country.

Ben did not marry. He died at age 46, 6 Aug 1918 in Los Angeles, California, of a brain tumor. He willed his estate to his mother, his sister [Mary Elizabeth] and nephew, Stephen Lee/Lea ELY.

1 comment(s), latest 2 years, 8 months ago

BAWDEN: Mary Elizabeth "Lizzie", oldest of Stephen Douglas and Mary Ella WOODWARD, m. Solomon Leander ELY

Mary Elizabeth BAWDEN was born 31 Mar 1870 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa, the only dtr of Stephen Douglas and Mary Ella "Ella" WOODWARD BAWDEN. She attended Davenport school and trained in the Teachers Training School in Davenport, noted as one of the best, and started at old Number One Elementary School in Davenport [now at the corner of Locust and Eastern - Madison Elementary School, was located on Spring St. close to the Mississippi River. Original bell sits on property.]

She married Solomon [went by S.L., newspaper, census and cemetery marker] Leander ELY on 22 Mar 1900 in her family home on 1315 E. 11th St. - still stands.

Solomon (prov. Eleanor and Wylie RUMMEL Apr 2008) was born 2 Dec 1864 in Chambersburg, Franklin, Pennsylvania. In 1874, when he was 9 years old (what dates? attrib to author-compiler Alice Richardson Sloane, C.G.), his family moved to Mt. Carroll, Carroll, Illinois. Solomon was the son of Thomas Leander and Elizabeth B. WILAND ELY. He attended the Iowa State Normal School in Cedar Falls, Iowa (now University of Northern Iowa, a public university), and graduated form Davenport Business College. He worked as a bookkeeper in Davenport for the Iowa Soldier's Orphans' Home (now Annie Wittenmyer Complex - buildings owned by Family Services - a social service for profit entity, not orphan's home), and later for A. J. Smith and Son Furniture Store, and rose to Cashier at Union Savings Bank in Davenport.

Sam/Solomon suffered from tuberculosis and had spent several winter months in the South, where he contracted typhoid malaria. He died at age 39 on 6 Jun 1904, in the BAWDEN home on E. 11th, just 2 months after the death of their first son, Edward WEILAND/WILAND ELY. Following Sam's death, Mary Elizabeth gave birth to a second son, Stephen Lee/Lea ELY born 2 Jan 1905 in Davenport.

She did not remarry but devoted herself to care for Stephen, her mother, and teaching school. She died 15 August 1946 in her childhood home at 1315 E. 11th St. and is buried with her family in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery. The ELYs were members of St. John's Methodist Church.

They had 2 children in Davenport:
1. Edward WEILAND / WILAND born 16 July 1903 and died 21 March 1904 of spinal meningitis. Weiland/Wiland was Samuel/Solomon's mother's maiden name.
2. Stephen Lea/Lee born 2 Jan 1905, died 7 May 1947 in Madison, Dane, Wisconsin of cancer. He was cremated and buried in Madison suburb Monona's Rose Lawn Memorial Cemetery. (seperate blog).

2 comment(s), latest 2 years, 8 months ago