Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
WILLIAMS: Charles CLARK marries Eliza HIGH MILLER in Westfield, Essex, New Jersey and they have 10 children - parents of Mary HIGH WILLIAMS ELDRIDGE
Charles Clark WILLIAMS was born 29 Nov 1797 in Westfield, Union, New Jersey, son of Nathaniel and Anna CLARK WILLIAMS. He married Eliza HIGH MILLER in 1820 in Westfield, New Jersey. She was born ca 1801 in New Jersey, the dtr of Ezra and Mary HIGH MILLER.
From the History of Scott County, Iowa 1882:
"Charles C. Williams came to Iowa in August 1844. He was from Newark, New Jersey. He was an elder of the First Presbyterian Church of that city and afterward in the Central Church for many years. He was a man of most ardent piety, ever ready to lend his aid and influence in promoting the cause of his Redeemer's Kingdom. His connection with the church of Davenport when it most needed spiritual aid and encouragement seemed providential. At this time Mr. Hoge [Hogge?], one of the elders, moved to Galena [Illinois]. So Mr. Williams and James M. DALZELL were ordained and set apart as elders in this church. His first work, with the help of others was to establish a Sunday-school which continued to date, and of which he was superintendent to the time of his death, which occurred in September 1852"
Charles was said to have been a 'sweet singer'. He died of cholera in Davenport, Scott, Iowa 3 Sept 1852; Eliza died 2 May 1878 in Creston, Platte, Nebraska. They are buried in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery.
1. Jane Henderson born ca 1822 in Westfield, New Jersey married William VANDEVER on 7 Jan 1847 in Davenport. Wm was born 31 Mar 1817 in Baltimore, Howard, Maryland, son of Wm VANDEVER (no mother). In 1839, Wm came to Rock Island, Rock Island, Illinois where he studied law, was a surveyor of public lands and proprietor of the "Northwestern Advertiser' newspaper. In 1851, the family moved to Dubuque, Dubuque, Iowa where Wm practiced law and where he was twice elected as a Republican to represent the 2nd District of Iowa in the US Congress. During the Civil War, he commanded the 9th Iowa Infantry and was appointed Major General. General VANDEVER returned to his law practice in Dubuque where he was active in developing several railroad lines through eastern Iowa. The family moved to San Buenaventura, California in 1884; he was twice elected to Congress from that state before he died 23 Jul 1893 in Ventura, California. Jane WILLIAMS VANDEVER, known as Mrs. General VANDEVER died 28 Feb 1908 in their daughter Miss Florence VANDEVER's home in Ventura.
2. Rebecca M. born 1824 (no date) in Westfield, New Jersey; died 10 Sept 1845 in Davenport and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery.
3. Alexander FRASER born 15 Jul 1826 in Westfield; married Frances Mary ROBINSON, 17 Feb 1858 in Rockford, Winnebago, Illinois. She was born 31 Jul 1837 in Albany, Albany, New York, dtr of Jos. and Sarah CROSBY ROBINSON Alexander settled in DAvenport after his marriage where he was in partnership with his brother-in-law Jacob MULLEN ELDRIDGE. He worked in the dry goods business for some yers in New York City but returned to Davenport where he joined with Rienholdt SIEG to found the SIEG Iron Company. He helped promote the Hennepin Canal, was responsible for bringing several railroads through the community and was senior trustee for the Calvary Baptist Church in Davenport.
On 15 Dec 1887 Aleander died in Atlantic, Cass, Iowa and is buried with his family in Oakdale Cemetery. Frances died 17 Feb 1915 in San Diego, California. They had 4 children:
a. Ella Ophelia b 5 Mar 1859 in Davenport married John S. THOMPSON and was living in 1928 in Escondido, North, California.
b. Annie Sarah (Anna W. my reference) born 26 Feb 1862 in Davenport married 14 Oct 1885 Dr. Jennings PRICE CRAWFORD, one of Davenport's most prominent surgeons. (see Find-a-Grave) She died 12 Oct 1928 in her Los Angeles, California home. They are buried in Oakdale Cemetery.
c. Frederick CROSBY born 11 Sept 1870 in Davenport died of tuberculosis on 21 Sept 1894 in Colorado Springs, El Paso, Colorado. He is buried in Oakdale.
d. Joseph ROBINSON born 19 Mar 1876 in Davenport, died 11 Feb 1894 in Davenport of a brain tumor at age 18. Rob was buried in Oakdale.
4. Mary HIGH born 27 Sept 1829 in Newark, Essex, New Jersey married Jacob MULLEN ELDRIDGE, his 2nd wife, in Davenport, Scott, Iowa on 25 Jun 1851...this writer's legacy. See Find-a-Grave and J. M. ELDRIDGE blog.
5. Margaret CLARK born 15 Dec 1831 in Newark, New Jersey, married first Thomas MASON 12 Nov 1856 in Davenport. He died 28 Dec 1862 and is buried in Oakdale Cemetery. Margaret married 2nd, James DOUGHERTY 1 Oct 1877 in Davenport. She died 26 May 1912 in Newton, Jasper, Iowa and is buried in Oakdale with Thos. MASON. The MASON couple had 4 children: a. Sarah (no info) b. James Edgar - b. 14 Feb 1859 in Davenport, d 6 Dec 1892 in Laurel, Marshall, Iowa. buried 8 Dec 1892 in Jasper, Iowa's Hickory Grove Cemetery. Jas' son married Edna HASKINS BAWDEN, c Charles W. and d. Thomas S. (no info)
6. Anna CLARK born 22 Oct 1834 in Newark. married Ezra MILLARD on 6 Feb 1855 in Dubuque, Dubuque Iowa. She died 30 Dec 1902 in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. (see Find-a-Grave)
7. William BELDEN born 18 Nov 1840 in Newark, served in the Cavalry during the Civil War and lived in Lincoln, Nebraska, He married Mary E. STEEL in Long Beach, L.A., California. He died 1 Jul 1921 in Long Beach.
8. Frances W. born ca 1849 in Davenport, married W. Nevin McCANDLESS/McCANDLISH and was living in Ohama, Hebraska in 1887.
9. Son dead by 1876
10. Dtr dead by 1876
There is noted in some trees the intervention of Phebe M. ROFF as having maternity. She was b 1811 in Mt. Bethel (state?) m. 1833 (no location). I have circled Mary HIGH WILLIAMS as her dtr. Can anyone straighten this out? I thought at one time Phebe was the wife of Nathaniel Williams before he came to Iowa.
WILLIAMS: Nathaniel GREEN born ca 1774 in New Jersey, of Welsh extraction, married Anna CLARK, moved to Davenport, Scott, IA
Nathaniel G. WILLIAMS born in New Jersey and married Anna CLARK ca 1796 in Westfield, Union, New Jersey.
She was born ca 1779 in Westfield, dtr of Charles and Anna YEOMAN CLARK. She died 20 Dec 1797 in Westfield.
In 1856, Nathaniel moved to Davenport, Scott, Iowa from Elizabethtown, Union, New Jersey to live with his dtr Ann Williams BARROWS. He died in Davenport on 27 Oct 1861 ata ge 87, and is buried on the Willard BARROWS lot in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery. Nathaniel GREEN WILLIAMS had 2 children:
1. Charles Clark born 29 Nov 1797 in Westfield, Union, New Jersey
2. Ann H (possibly Hutchinson) born 9 Aug 1808 in Westfield and married Willard BARROWS in 1832 (no date) in Elizabethtown, Union, New Jersey. Willard was born 1806 (no date) in Monson, Hampden, Massachusetts and became a school teacher in Elizabethtown after his education. He next was a surveyor of Indian lands for the US Government. In 1837 while surveying in the West, he met Duncan CAMPBELL ELDRIDGE who persuaded Willard to bring his family to Davenport.
"Barrows New Map of Iowa" published in 1854 attracted many families where the land agency of BARROWS amd MILLARD sold thousands of acres to settlers and speculators. Willard traveled across the plains to California, Central Ameriica and the Carribean, and toward the end of his life, he was active in the banking business in Montana and Idaho gold fields. He died 5 Fan 1868 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa; Ann died 16 Mar 1887 in Omaha, Douglas, Nebraska. They are buried in Oakdale Cemetery. They had 4 children.
1. Sarah J. born ca 1844 in New Jersey, died 1915 (no date or place)
2. Carie G. (my reference spelling) born ca 1837 in New Jersey
3. Benjamin H. (possibly Hutchinson) born 30 Dec 1847 in Davenport, bur Omaha,Nebraska (no death date)
4. Willard born 1849 in Davenport, died 2 Aug 1849 at age 2 mos and is bur in Oakdale Cemetery.
TERRILL: Samuel marries Mary TREMAIN and they have 5 children (2 listed in my reference) - dtr Mary marries Stephen BAWDEN in Redruth, Cornwall
Samuel and Mary TREMAIN TERRILL of Redruth, Cornwall, England married 4 Aug 1805 in Redruth, Cornwall, England, had 5 children. No research has been done on this family other than a TERRILL source for 3 more children.
1. Samuel b/ch Jan 1807 (no date)
2. William b/ch July 1809 (no date)
3. George TREMAIN b/ch Nov 1811 (no date) m. 18 Sept 1838, Elizabeth LUKE, (father Thos LUKE) in St. Mary's, Truro, Cornwall. (Cornwall Online Parish records as George Trewin Ferrill), d 1885 St. Thomas, Devonshire. Had at least 7 children.
4. Mary born/christened 8 Apr 1817, m. 4 Sept 1837 in Redruth Church of England (St. Euny's) Stephen BAWDEN b.6 Apr 1812 in Redruth. They had 8 children and came to the US in 1840. (This writer's heritage)
5. Elizabeth born/christened 13 Apr 1820 in Redruth, married Wm. CLEMO Sept 1846, Redruth, (divorced), Arrived in US with Mary and Stephen and dtr Elizabeth Clemo, born Sept 1847 in Redruth.
Elizabeth and her dtr, only child Elizabeth, were living in the household of Stephen and sister Mary TERRILL BAWDEN (above) in Norristown, Montgomery, Pennsylvania, a mining area, without Mr. CLEMO. Family tradition says "Grandma CLEMO" was divorced and lived with Stephen and Mary in their Rockingham Twp, Scott County, Iowa home until after 1880 when she was a resident of St. Paul, Minnesota with her dtr Elizabeth and grocery wholesaler husband James A. RYAN. After James died 9 Feb 1885 in St. Paul, both Elizabeths returned to Davenport.
Mother Elizabeth returned to Davenport and lived with dtr Elizabeth CLEMO RYAN on 6 Walling Court (now 1700)
Mother Elizabeth died of nervous prostration on 19 Dec 1910, just one week after the death of dtr Elizabeth CLEMO RYAN on 12 Dec 1910. They were members of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral.
Elizabeth and James A. RYAN had one child. They married in Davenport 28 Jun 1866. They lived in St. Paul, Minnesota. Son Harry CLEMO RYAN was born 18 Jan 1868 in Davenport. He married in Davenport, Edna BURDICK, dtr of Anthony and Elvira / Maria BURDICK. Edna was born 1 Nov 1872 and died 15 Aug 1969 in Pasadena, LA, California and is buried with her family in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery. (See Find-a-Grave). Edna and Harry divorced 13 Jan 1910. They had no children. Harry worked for Smith Bros and Burdick, wholesale grocers of Davenport. He died of diabetes in Chicago, Cook, Illinois 6 Jun 1915. Edna married Mr. XXX PROST.
Passenger List for Stephen BAWDEN and Eliza CLEMO from passenger ships and images database.
Arr 10 Aug 1849
Port of Departure: Liverpool, England
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Queen of the West
STOKES: Thomas marries Mary BARNARD of Stephney Parish, London and they came on the "Kent" to the New World
Thos was born ca 1640, probably in London, England, son of John STOKES. The family came on the "Kent", the first ship of English settlers to arrive in New Jersey. They landed in New Castle, Delaware, and immediately went to Burlington, New Jersey, arriving 6 mo 1677. They were Quakers.
1. Sarah married Benjamin MOORE
2. Mary married John HUDSON
3. John married Elizabeth GREEN
4. Thos Jr. married Deliverance HORNER and second Rachel WRIGHT
5. Joseph married Judith LIPPINCOTT and second Mrs. Ann HAINES
6. Son unnamed who moved to South Carolina
SHIVERS: John was probably born in England, married Sarah (nln) and they had 5 children in NJ (my reference)
John was probably born in England and came to West New Jersey (territory status) where he married Sarah (nln) about 1690. In 1692 he purchased a large tract of land in Waterford Twp where he lived and operated a saw mill until his death on 13 Jan 1716 (no location - prob Waterford).
He died intestate leaving a large estate which included his one-half interest in a two hundred-acre tract of land in Newton Twp. The SHIVERS were Quakers.
1. Samuel married Martha DEACON
2. John married Mary CLEMENT
3. Mary married Thos BATES
4. Hannah married John MATLACK
5. Josiah married Ann BATES
No other info. This surname weighs lightly in my tree. I'm just entering it for anybody to use.
SHIVERS: John marries Sarah (nln) and they had 5 children in New Jersey...dtr Hannah married John MATLACK
John was probably born in England and came to West New Jersey where he married Sarah (no last name) about 1690. [no mention of Sarah's last name in John MATLACK's blog]. In 1692 he purchased a large tract of land at Waterford Twp where he made his home and operated a new mill until his death on 13 Jan 1716. He died intestate leaving a large estate which included his one-half interest in a two hundred-acre tract in Newton twp. The SHIVERS were Quakers.
1. Samuel married Martha DEACON
2. John married Mary CLEMENT
3. Mary married Thos BATES
4. Hannah married John MATLACK
5. Josiah married Ann BATES
George was born in Germany and came to the US in 1856 where he settled in Beardstown, Cass, Illinois with his wife Katherine (no maiden).
He was pastor of Lutheran Church at Beardstown. They died in Beardstown.
Descendants of George SCHMIDT were mentioned in the will of Edward F. Duval (one L) of Taylorville, Illinois. Luther SCHMIDT, Marie SCHMIDT NICHOLSON, and Ruth schmidt at the funeral of John Frederick Duvall (2 Ls) in 1936, Rev. Arthur SCHMIDT of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a nephew, read prayers.
1. Catherina Elizabeth b 13 Jul 1836 in Hesse Darmstadt, Germany. She married Henry HANSMEYER (this writer's paternal grandmother's parents)
2. Son (unnamed) who married (no name) and had children. (no info)
MILLER: Jonathan ROSS Jr m. Elizabeth DICKINSON who was married to Daniel BAKER; 3 generations listed
Jonathan was born 1715 in Rahway, Union, New Jersey, married Elizabeth who had several children with Daniel BAKER and were absorbed and took the name MILLER. Jonathan's parents Jonathan MILLER and Abagail ROSS.
Elizabeth was born 1721 and died 29 Nov 1788 (no location).
1. Moses b 1745 Rahway, d 17 Jan 1777 (no location), m. Esther MAXWELL b. ???, d 12 Sep 1829; Moses will dated 15 Jan 1777, proved 25 Jun 1778 in Essex County, NJ. Had Ezra b 1777 in Westfield; and Sara b 1774
2. Abigail b 10 Sept 1737, d 18 Mar 1802, Westfield, NJ
3. Sarah b Sept 1744 in Piscataway, Middlesex, NJ
4. Melyn (male) b 1743, Rahway, d 8 May 1795 (no location)
5. Jonathan III b 9 Feb 1747, d 13 Mar 1819
6. Elizabeth b ???, d 1798 (no date, location)
Moses' son Ezra married Mary HIGH born Aug 1775 in Westfield, dtr of John and Rachel SQUIRE HIGH Jr. Ezra d age 71 on 26 Oct 1838 in Westfield; Mary died age 73 on 11 Mar 1859 in Westfield. They had 5 children: My ref only has Eliza High. I have added the other 4 from online trees.
1. Eliza HIGH b 1801 in Westfield m. Charles Clark WILLIAMS (see C.C. Williams blog - Mary High WILLIAMS ELDRIDGE parents)
2. Rachel b 1 Nov 1806 Wstfield, M. John DUKE
3. Elizabeth b 20 Dec 1771 (no location)
4. Smith b 14 Jan (no year)
5. Sarah b 1774
MIDDLETON: John marries Catherine FRENCH and Sarah MATLACK - - dtr Sarah marries Josiah ELDRIDGE, (parents of Duncan Campbell)
John was born 12 Dec 1737, in Evesham Twp, Burlington, New Jersey, married Catherine FRENCH 8 Apr 1763. She died 1773. They had 5 children (my reference)
1. Martha b 15 Jul 1764
2. Joseph b 23 Aug 1766
3. John b 27 Aug 1768
4. Mary b 4 Nov 1769
5. Ann b 17 Jan 1771 Haddonfield, Camden, NJ m. David TEST
John married Sarah MATLACK 10 Sept 1775. She was born 4 Dec 1744 dtr of John and Hannah SHIVERS MATLACK.
1. Samuel b 1777 m. Ann Crawford
2. Sarah b 1779 prob Evesham, Burlington, NJ, m. Josiah ELDRIDGE, Duncan's parents
3. Joseph m Anna ELLIS
4. Jacob b 1782 m. Mary FORTNER
John died intestate. On 25 Oct 1793, wife Sarah Matlack Middleton and Edward GIBBS, brother-in-law to Sarah (sister Hannah), were made administrators of his estate. They were Quakers.
MIDDLETON: Thomas Jr. born prob in England, married Mary HUDSON, he was yeoman and shoemaker in Evesham Twp.
Thomas, son of Thomas and Martha SMITH MIDDLETON, married ca 1710, Mary HUDSON dtr of John and Mary STOKES HUDSON. She was born ca 1698 and died btw 1750 and 1753.
Thos was a yeoman of Evesham Twp, and perhaps a shoemaker. He married second, Mrs. Jane ENGLE NICHOLSON in 1753. She died in 1761. He made his will 10 May 1761 and it was proved 2 Jun 1761. They were Quakers. They had 7 children (my reference).
1. Thomas married Esther BARTON
2. Hudson b ca 1722 Evesham, d ca 1769 Chester, Burlington, NJ
3. Martha married Abraham WILSON
4. Deborah married Enoch BURROUGH and second, Joseph ARMSTRONG
5. Ruth married Wm HIGBEE
6. Mary married John ASHEAD
7. John born 12 Dec 1737 in Evesham
No other information.
This surname weighs lightly in my tree. I'm posting it for anyone to use.