Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
AGED FARMER TAKEN BY DEATH, pub Mon, 22 Mar 1943, Bloomington (Indiana) Evening World, copies furnished by Christine Eykhold Friesel, Monroe County Indiana Public Library.
LEWIS ASHER DIES AT HOME, Retired Farmer, 81, Bedfast Six Months
I have 2 obits that I would gladly snail to anyone who claims him.
He and Serepta are buried in Little Union Cemetery, Unionville, Indiana. They are posted in Find-a-Grave.
This Lewis Asher was a life-long resident of Unionville, Indiana, area.
ASHER: Charles William III marries Kay Midori UYEHARA, they divorced btw 1970 - 1982, and both remarried.
Charles was born 21 Mar 1943 in Howell, Michigan, son of Charles and Hilda ROEN ASHER.
Charles was elected Governor of Badger Boys State in high school, a member of President Kennedy's Committee on Youth and Children, and was licensed at age 16 by the Methodist Church bishop to be a lay reader.
In 1964 he graduated from the University of Wisconsin/Madison and received his Doctor of Ministry degree from Andover Newton Theological Seminary in Andover, Massachusetts. He earned his MA from the Union Theological Seminary. He studied psychology in the New School of Social Research in New York City.
On 22 Jan 1966, he married Kay Medori UYEHARA in New York, New York. Kay was born 11 Apr 1943 in Honolulu, Hawaii, dtr of Dr. Ukuo and Dorothy TESHIMA UYEHARA. She graduated form the University of Southern California in Los Angeles, California and is a physical therapist. They were divorced.
Kay Midori ASHER married James B. BUHRENDORF in Aug 1978 (no date). They live in Massachusetts. No BMD on Jim / James?
Charles married Tracey NICHOLAS on 1 Mar 1982 in Dallas, Texas and was divorced in 1984 (no date).
Charles is a teacher and private psychoanalyst with the C. G. JUNG Institute in Houston, Texas where he also does interim preaching for the Methodist Church.
1. David Michael born 17 Sept 1967 in Dearborn, Michigan. He is a student at Georgetown University in Washington, D.C. (1986)
2. Charles Douglas born 16 Nov 1969 in Englewood, New Jersey.
No other information.
ASHER: Charles William m. Martha NITSCHMANN / NITCHMAN; they enjoy hospitality / restaurant work together
Charles William was born 23 June 1889 in Missouri (no location), middle child of Lewis Micajah and Agnes NOBLE. He returned to Davenport with mother Agnes who filed for divorce for Lewis' dissertion. Charles attended public schools until age 17 when he began working for the Arthur J. WILEY Grocery Store as a clerk.
Charles married Martha NITSCHMANN on 3 June 1913 in Sioux Falls, Minnehaha, South Dakota. Martha was the dtr of Herman August and Wilhelmina GREUSCH NITSCHMANN, born 15 Apr 1893 in Elgin, Kane, Illinois. At age 20, Martha went to Sioux Falls to work at the Sherman Hotel where she met Charles ASHER.
The ASHERS returned to Davenport where Charles worked as a waiter in the Hill Cafe until 1915. They moved to Michigan where they owned restaurants in several cities in the Detroit area.
During WWII, Charles worked for the Ford Motor Company in the bomber plant at Ypsilanti, Michigan in the executive dining room. After the war, he transferred to the Ford Rouge Plant executive dining room at Dearborn, Michigan where he was employed until his retirement in 1954.
The ASHERS also owned a small hotel in Wayne, Michigan for several years. They were members of the Methodist church. They had 6 children.
Charles died 1 Nov 1958 in Green Bay, Brown, Wisconsin while watching his grandson play football. Martha died 12 May 1975 at Garden City, Wayne, Michigan. They are buried in Roseland Park Cemetery at Berkley, Oakland, Michigan.
1. Charles William, Jr. born 2 Jun 1918 in Washington, D.C.
2. Robert Burdette born 13 Aug 1919 in Highland Park, Michigan
3. LeRoy Lewis born 22 Nov 1921 in Detroit, Michigan
4. Daughter, born 18 Feb 1923 in Detroit, buried 20 Feb 1923 in Evergreen Cemetery, Detroit, Michigan
5. Twin sons, born prematurely after 1923, died at birth
6. Howard Henry born 22 Apr 1926 in Fordson, Michigan.
Information given by Mrs. Willadene STOLDT ASHER of Garden City, Michigan, Dec 1985
ASHER: Charles William, Jr. marries Hilda ROEN, and he becomes owner/operator of a marine construction co
Charles was born 2 Jun 1918 in Washington, D. C. son of Charles and Martha NITSCHMANN/NITCHMAN ASHER. In 1941 he graduated from Michigan State University at East Lansing, Michigan with a major in physical education. During college, Charles played football and was a fullback on the MSU team in the first Orange Bowl game, played in Miami, Florida.
On 24 Aug 1940, Charles married Hilda Marie ROEN in Charlevoix, Michigan where Hilda was born 10 Jan 1919 to Capt. John J. and Anna Marie SKYE ROEN. Capt. ROEN was born in Norway and was the owner of a marine salvage company and fleet of ships which transported construction materials on the Great Lakes.
After their marriage, and WWII, he coached at the high school level. During WWII, he was a Lieutenant in the Navy for 4 yers, serving in the South Pacific and the US.
The family lived in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin where Charles was the owner/operator of a marine construction company and the Chas. Asher & Sons real estate company. They made their home in Ft. Lauderdale, Florida, and summer in Sturgeon Bay. He died in Sturgeon Bay 18 Jan 1993. (SSDI).
1. Charles William III b 21 Mar 1942 in Howell, Michigan
2. Susan M. born 30 Mar 1944 in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. In the Fall of 1966, after graduating from the University of Wisconsin, Susan was seriously injured in an auto accident which left her blind and brain damaged. Since 1977, she lives in the Devereux Foundation School in Victoria, Texas and Westchester, Pennsylvania. She is a member of the Methodist Church (1986)
3. John ROEN born 17 Nov 1948 in Green Bay, Wisconsin. He graduated in 1971 from the University of Wisconsin in Madison where he majored in physical education. John lives at Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin whe he is president of the ROEN Salvage Co. founded by his grandfather, Capt John ROEN. He is a member of the Methodist Church and is not married.
4. Stephen Michael born 4 May 1954 in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. For 3 years while attending teh University of Arizona at Tucson, Stephen traveled and performed with the "Up With People" organization, in Europe, South America, and throughout the US. He performed with teh group before the King of Spain.
On 23 Aug 1986, Stephen married Rachel Joy KUEHL in Sturgeon Bay. Rachel was born 26 Feb 1951 in Marshfield, Wisconsin, dtr of Dietrich and Hulda POTRATZ KUEHL. Rachel is a dental hygienist who graduated from Madison Area Technical College, Madison, Wisconsin with an Associate's Degree. Stephen is president of Chas. Asher & Sons, a real estate company in Sturgeon Bay where they live. The Ashers are members of the Methodist Church.
ASHER: Daniel Howard marries "Penny" WANGKUMJUN and Miss NFN CHIN and there is 1 child born in Korea
Daniel was born 22 Feb 1947 in Ypsilanti, Washtenaw, Michigan, son of Howard and Rebecca RUSTIN ASHER. He served in the Army during the Vietnam War and in Thailand, Germany and Korea before his 1978 discharge.
He married Soomboon "Penny" WANGKUMJUN on 26 Feb 1969 in Korat, Thailand. She was born 1 Nov 1941 in Salangpan, Thailand. They were divorced 4 Feb 1977.
In 1978 (no date), he married XXX CHIN (no first name)in Korea. There was a child, Jason CHIN ASHER born 13 Jan 1979 in Korea.
Since his discharge, Dan worked as a chef in San Francisco, California.
Gertrude May ASHER was born 26 Mar 1887 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. She attended Davenport public schools and worked as a bookkeeper for the Arthur J. WILEY grocery store on Brady St.
She married Frederick Bird COX of East Moline, Rock Island, Illinois on 25 Nov 1910 in her mother and stepfather's home on East Locust St. in Davenport. (Agnes divorced Lewis for dissertion and married Fayette M. JONES). Frederick was born 26 Nov 1883 in Jasper County, Iowa (no city) son of Jason J. and Hattie ARCULARINS COX. He worked on the railroad. After their marriage, they lived in Moline, Rock Island, Illinois.
She and Frederick seperated in about 1922 (no date). Gertie worked as a clerk or salesperson for various Davenport and Rock Island businesses.
She died from cancer 2 Oct 1932 in Davenport and is buried in Oakdale Memorial Gardens in Davenport. She was a member of St. John's Methodist Church. They had 2 sons:
In the 1930 federal census, J. Reed and dad Fred lived at 1522 15th St. Moline, Illinois.
1. Robert Burdette COX b 10 Sept 1911 in Moline, Rock Island, Ilinois, d 10 Jan 1998 in Carson, Los Angeles, California
2. Jason Reed COX b 14 May 1914 in Moline, Illinois. 1920 and 1930 census as J. Reed Cox d. 28 Mar 1995 in Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California.
References are on page 81, rather than 61 - typo.
Howard was born 22 April 1926 in Fordson, Wayne, Michigan, son of Charles and Martha NITSCHMANN/NITCHMAN ASHER.
He married 26 Jan 1946, in Wayne, Michigan, Rebecca Aline RUSTIN. She was born 7 Apr 1926 in Evansville, Indiana and died 18 Apr 1981 in Green Bay, Wisconsin.
No bio info on Howard and no parentage or bio info on Rebecca.
They had 3 children:
1. Daniel Howard born 22 Feb 1947 in Ypsilanti, Michigan
2. Pamela Aline born 20 Nov 1950 in Ypsilanti
3. Timothy Charles born 25 Sept 1959 in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. He earned a Masters degree from the University of Wisconsin/Whitewater, and is employed by the University of Missouri. (1985)