Bawden4 on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
ELDRIDGE: Bowman Henry marries Margaret K. DRUMGOOLE: restauranteur, baker, constable, turnkey, custodian,
Bowman Henry ELDRIDGE was born 30 Sept 1845 in Davenport, son of John and Mary Ann ADAMS ELDRIDGE (also Duncan Campbell ELDRIDGE's nephew).
He married 9 Feb 1869 Margaret Drumgoole who was also very civic-minded. They were married in St. Anthony's Church in Davenport by the Very Rev. J.A.M. PELEMORGUES. Margaret was born 18 Feb 1851 in New York (no location), dtr of Patrick and Mary FERGUSON DRUMGOOLE. She came to Davenport with her parents in 1856 and attended St. Anthony's Parochial School founded by Fr. PELEMORGUES, was the first school in Davenport and was attended by Catholic and Protestant children.
In 1867, Bowman joined his brothers Theodore and Joseph in the bakery business at 3rd and Perry Streets where the Blackhawk Hotel now stands. For 20 years he was connected with his brothers, but in 1885, Bowman started his own restaurant at 309 Brady Street. At age 50, he left the restaurant business and began work for Scott County, serving as constable and as the first "turnkey" at the county jail. In later years he worked for August E. STEFFEN Co. as a custodian.
One of the early "intelligence offices" as employment agencies were first called, was started in Davenport in 1892 due to Margaret DRUMGOOLE ELDRIDGE's efforts. She worked until her death helping others find employment. She was a prominent member of St. Anthony's Relief Society. Both Bowman and Margaret were members of the Scott County Pioneer Old Settlers Assoc. for which Bowman served as president. Membership in this genealogy social support group is limited to those who arrived in Scott County before 1840 and successors. It meets only once a year. The ELDRIDGE home is at 614 Main St, now HALLIGAN McCABE DEVRIES Funeral Home (see website).
Margaret died 25 Jan 1912 in their home at 424 W. 5th St. (old street number) of diabetes. Bowman died 31 July 1924 in Davenport and is buried with Margaret and her brother James DRUMGOOLE, in Davenport's Mt. Calvary Cemetery. They had 5 children.
They were all born in Davenport, Scott, Iowa.
1. Harry W. (middle name unk), born 5 May 1859, attended public schools and Davenport's Griswold College, for men only. He married Nancy A. WHEELOCK on 19 Sept 1888 in Rock Island, Rock Island, Illinois. She was born 20 Sept 1866 in Moline, Rock Island, Illinois, dtr of Alonzo and Mary (maiden?) WHEELOCK. Harry worked briefly with his father, Joseph H., in the livery company, but most of his life was spent as a foreman or manager of various livery business in Davenport, and as a teamster for American Express. The last 14 years before his death, he worked as a salesman and/or attendant for the Pennslvania Oil Company in Davenport.
Harry was a member of the Moose and Woodman of the World. He died of sclerosis 23 July 1934. Nancy died at the University of Iowa Hospital in Iowa City, Johnson, Iowa of broncho pneumonia. on 21 Oct 1943. Both are buried in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery. They had no children
2. Anna FOOTE born ca 1865 (no date) and married Enoch Arthur Wood on 16 April 1890 in Trinity Episcopal Cathedral in Davenport. Enoch was the son of Jeremiah and Lydia SMITH WOOD and he was born (no date) in Rock Island, Illinois. Enoch worked as a clerk in Tacoma, Washington at their marriage.
Anna and Enoch were living in New Orleans in 1925 when her younger brother Willard died. In 1933, Anna returned to Davenport as a widow (no death date for ENOCH) and lived with brother Harry until his death in 1934. It is not known when she died, and according to her niece, she and Enoch had no children.
3. Willard B. (middle name unk) was born 20 Dec 1877, worked with his father as a hostler (groom and care for horses). After his father's death, he continued to work as a teamster for various Davenport companies.
On 1 Apr 1901, Willard and Anna HEPNER were married by a Justice of the Peace in Davenport. She was born ca 1876 in Davenport (no date), dtr of Henry and Louise SCHROEDER HEPNER. No marriage disposition known.
About 1905, Willard married Mary Anna COOLBAUGH of Burlington, Des Moines, Iowa.
In the 1910 Iowa Federal Census, Willard and Mary Anna were enumerated in Davenport along with Alice, age 13, whose relationship to Willard is given as stepdaughter. (Alice might have been Mary Anna's dtr by a previous marriage).
According to Alice, she was discovered in 1897 as an infant under the seat of a railroad car with a laudaman-filled nipple in her mouth. Alice married David HARTER of Davenport (no BMD), and moved with her mother to Waterloo, Iowa after the death of her father.
In 1927 there appeared a notice in the Davenport Democrat seeking the whereabouts of the baby left under the seat of the train in 1897. The article instructed Alice to contact Mayor RODDEWIG of Davenport who directed her to a Mr. BEEKMAN in Petersburg, Menard, Illinois. According to Alice ELDRIDGE HARTER, she visited Mr. BEEKMAN and corresponded with him for many years, however, the relationship was not made known to her. She is presently married to Leonard HAMILTON and is living in Davenport (1986). I don't have access to SSDI now that Ancestry owns it.
Willard died 31 Oct 1925 at age 47 of a stroke and is buried in davenport's Oakdale Cemetery. Willard and Mary attended Trinity Episcopal Cathedral.
The Davenport City Directories list Mary ELDRIDGE as working in the Ozark Cafe as a cook in 1928. After that, her name is no longer found in other Scott County records.
Joseph H. (middle name?) ELDRIDGE was the son of John M. and Mary Ann ADAMS ELDRIDGE, born in 1834 (no date) in Gloucester County, New Jersey. He moved to Davenport with his family as a 5-year-old and attended public schools.
He married "Nellie" on 11 Feb 1858 in Davenport. She was born 2 Feb 1839 and came with her family to Davenport, Scott, Iowa in 1854. (no bio info) The couple farmed on Jersey Ridge Road in Davenport, near his father. They had 3 children.
In 1867, Joseph and his brothers, Theodore and Bowman, formed a "bakery, confectionery, restaurant, ice cream soda and oyster saloon". on the corner of 3rd and Perry Streets (razed for the Blackhawk Hotel). The brothers successfully operated the business until teir father died in 1892. The partnership dissolved and Joseph began the Joe Eldridge and Son Livery Co. on E. 3rd St. which he operated until his death. The automobile made its first appearance in 1892. The family home was at 120 W. 6th St. in Davenport.
Joseph died 26 Sept 1907, Ellen died 9 May 1920, both were members of Trinity Episcopal Cathedral and are buried in Oakdale Cemetery in Davenport.
ELDRIDGE: Micajah LIPPINCOTT ELDRIDGE, the youngest of Duncan CAMPBELL and Rebecca LIPPINCOTT ELDRIDGE
Micajah was born 22 Aug 1845 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa. He was educated in Davenport schools and began his career at age 18 in the Davenport Post Office where his brother Charles H. ELDRIDGE was Post Master, and his father Duncan, who had been Davenport's second Post Master, now served as Clerk.
In April 1864, Charles H. ELDRIDGE resigned as Post Master and began a real estate and insurance busines with Micajah, advertised in the 1873 Davenport City Directory:
"ELDRIDGE & BROS. (C.H.E. & M.L.E.) Land, real estate, insurance and collection agents; money, real estate and exchange brokers; notaries public; Abstracts of Titles made at short notice; office 38 Brady."
Micajah began a weekly newspaper, in addition to his business with Charles, in 1874 devoted to the interest of working men, the "Times". He sold the newspaper after unsuccessfully publishing it for 2 years.
About 1880, Charles retired. Micajah joined his half-brother, Jacob Mullen ELDRIDGE [this writer's lineage], in the real estate, insurance and loan business.
On 17 Oct 1865, Pastor James CHALLEN of the Christian Church, married Micajah to Magdelena (enia) L. BERRY, in Davenport. "Maggie" was born 11 Sept 1844 in Harrisburg, Dauphin, Pennsylvania. The 1850 census for Harrisburg lists "Maggie" BERRY living with her widowed mother, Sarah. (no father named). In 1860 she was living with her grandmother, Sarah LINGLE in Rock Island, Rock Island, Illinois.
Micajah and Maggie were divorced in 1893. Maggie resumed the use of her maiden name, BERRY. She died on her birthday, 11 Sept 1908 in Davenport and is buried on the ELDRIDGE lot in Oakdale Cemetery. They had 8 chidren all in Davenport.
Micajah married Hanna FOWLER EARLE on 26 Sept 1901 in Davenport's Trinity Episcopal Cathedral. Hannah was born 3 Apr 1839 in Whitesboro, Oneida, New York to Raphael and Hannah BEJORD FOWLER and came to Davenport with her family in 1857. She married George B. EARLE, a grain dealer, in 1858 (no date) in Davenport.
Micajah and Hanna lived in her home, called "Chattaqua Point", along the river on 8th St. in BEttendorf, Scott, Iowa. Hanna EARLE ELDRIDGE died in her home 28 Mar 1912, and was buried in Oakdale with her first husband and daughter, Mrs. Stella M. BRADDON.
Micajah died 17 Aug 1925 in Davenort. His body was cremated (ashes where?) and a cenotaph (boulder) was placed in his memory in Oakdale.
Duncan CHALLEN b 21 May 1868 (seperate page)
Sadie Rebecca b 1870 (no date), she died of diptheria on 26 Mar 1891 and is buried in Oakdale
James L. (Lippincott?) b 24 May 1872 and died 5 Aug 1872 at 2 mo. of thrush and is buried in Oakdale.
Anna B (Berry?) born Jan 1873 (no date). She was mentioned in her father's obit as Dr. Annie E. BURNS, wife of Dr. William BURNS, of Hartford, Hartford, Connecticut.
Wallace born 12 Jun 1874 and died at age 1 mo. of cholera 17 Jul 1874
William B (Berry?) born 1877 (no date). He was mentioned in his father's obit as Dr. W. B. ELDRIDGE of Olean, Cattaraugus, New York. His wife was Mary K. (maiden?) ELDRIDGE. (no bio info)
Mary, called "Mae" born 1879 (no date), married Robert E. MOORE, 30 Sept 1903 in Battle Creek, Calhoun, Michigan. Mae was a nurse at the Battle Creek Sanitarium, her husband was a clerk there. She was mentioned in her father's obit as Mrs. Mae MOORE FILES, wife of Jrank Judson FILES of Madison, Somerset, Maine. They were married 12 Jul 1924 in Madison.
S. Benjamin (S ?) b March 1881 (no date). He was mentioned in his father's obit as S.B. ELDRIDGE of Houston, Harris, Texas. His wife's name was Loretta P. ELDRIDGE (no maiden).
MARY TERRILL BAWDEN; born 9 May 1851 in Norristown, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, the daughter of Stephen and Mary TERRILL BAWDEN.
She moved to Rockingham Township (Davenport) with her parents when she was 9 yo. She attended Davenport schools. She married John Lowery ILES on 7 February 1871 in Davenport, Scott County, IA. In the 1880 federal census, they share their home with 18 yo servant Sophia RUNGE, born in Holstein, Germany of Holstein, German parents. John was born 15 September 1848 in Midway, KY to Thomas Jefferson and Maria Louisa NUCKOLS ILES.
Dr. Thomas Jefferson ILES moved to Davenport to be near his sons during the Civil War. He decided being a doctor would put him near the action and was assigned to the Rock Island Arsenal. He was born 17 March 1811 in Jessamine, KY. and died 27 November 1889 in Davenport. He is buried in Oakdale with Maria.
The 1880 census says 32 yo John is a painter. John was treasurer and manager until 1908 of Riverside Milling Co. at 804 E. Front St (now River Drive a Wonder Bread factory closed for bankruptcy in 2005). Then he became president of Valley Place Investment Co. He lived in the family home at 614 E. 13th St. (still exists) until 1917 when he moved to Magnolia Springs, Baldwin County, Alabama, where he died 17 December 1939.
Mary cared for her mother after her fathers death. Mary 43 yo died on 6 February 1894. She and John are buried in Oakdale Memorial Gardens. They were members of the Methodist Church. John and Mary TERRILL ILES had 3 children all in Davenport:
a. Mary Louise ILES b 25 November 1871 (Mamie in 1880 census.)(seperate blog)
b. Alice GANSERT ILES b. 28 March 1876, died 21 February 1881 of diptheria. Buried in Oakdale in the Gansert plot
c. John Thomas ILES b. 9 June 1882. He worked as a clerk for his father at the Riverside Milling Company until 1906 when he listed his occupation as a student. In 1918, John was living with sister Mary ILES GANSERT in Rock Island, Rock Island County, IL again listing his occupation as student. He married 1907ish Edna Ophelia MANGUN born 24 March 1882 in Memphis Junction, Kentucky. She died 1 February 1949 of diabetes and hypertensive myocarditis. They lived at 2728 S. 4th in Louisville. (her father David MANGUN and mother Rufina nln)
John died 25 February 1951 in the Old Mason's Home in Veachland, Shelby, Kentucky fo cirrhosis of the liver and enlarged heart. Death records said he moved there 9 mos before from Louisville. Occupation listed as mechanic. In his WWI draft record, it lists his father, John Lowery/Lowry ILES, as next of kin, not Edna, probably because his father was a widower and could use any pension/survivor benefits.
Emily H. (this could have been a transcriber error for M, or it could have been a previous maternal name) was the daughter of John M. and Mary Ann ADAMS ELDRIDGE, born 1836 (no date) in Gloucester County, New Jersey.
On 7 Nov 1855 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa, she became the 2nd wife of Dr. Wallace William PARKER who was born at Onondaga County, New York in Jan 1818. He was trained as a printer, but not finding that trade to his liking, went to medical school and became an allopathic doctor. He married and practiced medicine for 14 years in Ohio, before he moved to Davenport after the death of his first wife, (no name).
Dr. PARKER owned a hardware store which burned to the ground in 1857 at the time of his marriage to Emily. In 1860, he began a combined medical practice and drug store which he was forced to close because of epileptic seizures. He retired to the country, 3 miles from the city limits on Jersey Ridge Road, but remained active in Davenport business affairs, serving as vicepresident of the Davenport Savings Bank, and a director of the National Insurance Company.
They had: Ida PARKER b 1857 (no date) in Davenport...nothing further is known; Anna H. PARKER born 1860 (no date) in Davenport. She died of typhoid on 2 Sept 1869 and is buried in Oakdale.
On 8 Aug 1868, at age 49, Dr. PARKER was killed in a railroad accident at Ames, Iowa. The accident was possibly the result of an epileptic seizure which caused him to fall under the wheels of a moving train.
He is buried in Davenport's Oakdale Cemetery on his father-in-law's lot. Buried beside him is John Earl PARKER, a son by his first marriage who was born in Ohio in 1853 and died 3 Aug 1869 in Geneseo, Henry, Illinois of typhoid.
Emily ELDRIDGE PARKER married Alexander SMART 17 Oct 1872 in Davenport and shortly thereafter left the area. I have not tracked her down.
Lewis H. (unknown mn) was born in 1842 (no date) in Davenport, Scott, Iowa, (my reference says) probably the son of Duncan and Rebecca LIPPINCOTT ELDRIDGE.
In the 1850 Iowa federal census for Scott County, city of Davenport, Lewis ELDRIDGE, age 8, is listed as living in the home of Asa PRESCOTT. Asa was a teacher from New Hampshire who began one of the early schools in Davenport. It is possible Lewis boarded with the PRESCOTT family while he was attending their school.
In the Daily Davenport Democrat newspaper, 27 Aug 1867 announced the marriage of Lewis H. ELDRIDGE of Nashville, Davidson, Tennessee to Miss Mary L. BLACK of Davenport. Apparently the couple returned to Tennessee after their marriage, since they are not found in Davenport city directories.
Duncan ELDRIDGE does not mention Lewis in his will and Sarah ELDRIDGE ASHER, Lewis' sister, named her only child Lewis. The only family member to do that, perhaps ndicating a close brother-sister relationship.
There are many stories about Duncan CAMPBELL ELDRIDGE. This is a brief history about this enterprising mover-and-shaker.
DUNCAN CAMPBELL ELDRIDGE: son of Josiah and Sarah MIDDLETON ELDRIDGE was born 3 Aug 1801 in Woodbury, Gloucester, New Jersey. He was probably named in honor of Duncan CAMPBELL who fought in the Revolutionary War and was a doctor in Woodbury at the time of the Eldridge birth. Duncans parents were devout Quakers and saw that son Duncan had a good education and was taught a useful trade. Duncan worked as a brick layer and plasterer in Haddonfield and Philadelphia until 1824.
Duncan and first wife, Rachel BROWN, were married 8 January 1823 in Haddonfield, Camden County, New Jersey where they lived until the birth of Jacob in 1824. Then they moved to Rochester, Monroe County, New York, where 2 more children were born, both dying in infancy.
14 December 1824 Duncan ELDRIDGE of Haddonfield, Gloucester Co., Bricklayer and Cooper, and Rachel his wife, for $80, to Wallace LIPPINCOTT Junior of the Township of Waterford, Gloucester Co., Gentleman Farmer, land in the Township of Gloucester, 7 acres, 3 [roods], and 20 pershes of Cedar Swamp, to Duncan ELDRIDGE 6 March 1824.
Wit: Thos REDMAN (s) Duncan ELDRIDGE
G. W. COLLINGS Her
Rachel X ELDRIDGE
Recorded 7 March 1827 Mark
Rachel BROWN ELDRIDGE died in 1827. I have nothing more on her birth, death, parentage. Duncan returned to Haddonfield where he left 4 yo Jacob in the care of Duncans mother, Sarah, and moved to Cincinnati, Hamilton County, Ohio to work at his trade.
On 4 November 1829, in Cincinnati, Duncan married Rebecca LIPPINCOTT, a childhood friend from Haddonfield, born 23 January 1807, daughter of Micajah and Sarah Jane ROBERTS LIPPINCOTT, probably in Haddonfield, New Jersey.
The Blackhawk War concluded on 21 September 1832 with the signing of a treaty near the Village of East Davenport, giving title of 6,000,000 (million) acres of Indian land west of the Mississippi River to the United States. English immigrant and Indian agent / trader, Colonel George DAVENPOT [colonel = honorary], and Antoine LECLAIRE, who was a French-Canadian fur trader and son of a Pottowottomie Indian Chiefs granddaughter, were at the signing. LECLAIRE was interpreter and suttler for the United States government.
After the treaty was concluded, Keokuk, Sac Indian chief, donated the section of land where the treaty was signed to LECLAIREs wife, Marguerite, with the understanding that the LeClaires would build their home on the site. In 1835, Antoine LECLAIRE, George DAVENPORT, and 6 other men surveyed and laid out the town of Davenport on the land presented to Mrs. LeClaire. The house still stands as a private residence.
Duncan met Antoine LECLAIRE and George DAVENPORT while they were buying supplies in Cincinnati. After hearing them describe the beauty and rich soil, Duncan was persuaded to move to Scott County, IA. The ELDRIDGE family packed their belongings, along with enough wood to erect a shanty. Duncans son, Jacob, who was the only child from Duncans wife Rachel BROWN, was left with Eldridge grandparents in New Jersey. Rebecca LIPPINCOTT ELDRIDGE, Duncan CAMPBELL ELDRIDGE and their first child, Charles Henry ELDRIDGE, born 26 Jul 1830, in Cincinnati, Hamilton, Ohio, boarded a raft which Duncan built for a trip down the Ohio River in lieu of taking a slower more dangerous route on land. He built a shanty on the raft and placed a cook stove, a 4-poster bed, clothing, food and supplies.
It was late Fall by the time they got to the convergence of the Ohio and Mississippi Rivers. During the trip down the Mississippi, they communicated with a steamer captain, possibly the Dubuque, asking to be towed because the current had slowed. After some period, the captain decided that the ELDRIDGE raft was slowing the steamer, and the captain abandoned the raft to its own. The shallow, rocky river froze as they approached the Scott County borders. They were ice-jammed close to the Illinois side then called Stephenson, now Rock Island. They yelled for help. A period of a day or so later, a group of men managed to get out far enough to get a rope and pull the Eldridges to shore. The winters were snowy and blustery cold. Duncan and Rebeccas shanty was made of logs with mud packed between them. The mud eroded with the weather, so they took the Cincinnati newspapers and pasted them all over the walls to keep the cold out. When townspeople heard, they came in groups, some standing on tuffets, to read the news on the walls.
They arrived on 5 Oct 1835 at the foot of Brady Street where Duncan erected a shanty from the materials hed used on his raft, near the only other house in the area, a small wooden house owned by Antoine LECLAIRE who was sent by the government to be a suttler to the Indians in 1815.
In Spring, Duncan returned to Cincinnati to purchase merchandise to begin a general store in a 2-story wood frame building which he constructed on the northwest corner of Ripley and Front Street (River Drive). One might wonder where Duncan would find customers to buy merchandise in a wilderness town boasting a population of just 12 families. Stephenson, with a population of 500, and others who had settled for many miles up and down river, came to the area to trade. Before 1840, Iowa settlers were dependent on imported products: lumber, pork, flour, and even corn. The Davenport river bank at the foot of the Rock Island Rapids was a steamboat landing for westward pioneers, and receiving and shipping merchandise and agricultural products.
From Davenports early days, Duncan was a leader in community affairs. He began his business career as a merchant, selling dry goods, books, drugs, and groceries. He practiced his trade as bricklayer and plasterer, helping to build over 34 houses and buildings including the first post office and the LeClaire House hotel. They lived in Davenports first brick house built in 1838 by Duncan on the northeast corner of 3rd and Main Streets. He began a carriage and blacksmith ship, he built and managed the White Hall Temperance House hotel. He introduced to Davenport the first flouring mill, a small coffee mill grinder run by horse power.
He was a Whig, elected one of the first township trustees, an unsuccessful candidate for sheriff and was the fire warden for the city, officiating in Davenports first fire his Eldridge store burned to the ground.
When Antoine LECLAIRE resigned as postmaster in 1838, Duncan was appointed in his place and kept until he resigned in 1852. Until his death in 1882, he was connected with Hartwell and Bemis, a fire and life insurance company (1880 census).
On 29 May 1831, Rebecca and Duncan became members of the Christian Church after baptism by immersion in the Ohio River in Cincinnati. There were no organized churches when Eldridges arrived in Davenport, so they opened their home to all traveling Protestant preachers who would conduct services for the young community. Reverend James RUMBOLD came to Davenport in 1838 and organized the Christian or Disciples Church in the Eldridge home. Duncan and Rebecca were members for the rest of their lives.
They had Charles Henry, Sarah E., Lewis H. and Micajah Lippincott (seperate pages)
Duncan was a member of the Odd Fellows for 54 years and was the oldest member west of the Alleghany Mts. at his death. He died at their home, 214 W. 5th St., on 3 Oct 1882, of a stroke. Rebecca, his wife of over 50 years, died 5 Oct 1889. She was the last living settler who came to Davenport in 1835. Duncan, Rebecca, and 4 of their 5 children: Jacob Mullen, Charles Henry, Sara E., and Micajah Lippincott are buried in Davenports Oakdale Memorial Gardens.
ELDRIDGE: Mary Rebecca, the 1st of 4 children from Charles Henry and Mary Josephine "Josephine" WATERMAN ELDRIDGE
Mary Rebecca was born 10 August 1874 in Davenport, Scott, Iowa, and was called "Birdie" by her family. She graduated from Davenport High School and attended two years of college (no name).
She married Reverend Samuel DINWIDDIE McFADDEN, pastor of the First PResbyterian Church in LeClaire, Scott, Iowa. Samuel was born 7 July 1869 on a farm near Crawfordsville, Washington, Iowa, son of James and Martha Alice HOGGARD McFADDEN. He graduated from Parsons College in Fairfield, JEfferson, Iowa in 1891 and from McCormick Theological Seminary, Chicago, Illinois in 1895.
In 1904, Rev. McFADDEN was called to take the pastorate at Des Moines, Polk, Iowa's Westminster Church - a position he held for 7 years before becoming vice-president of Highland Park College in Des Moines. He died in Des MOines 7 Jan 1913 and is buried there in Glendale Cemetery.
After his death, Mary Rebecca worked as a secretary in Des Moines' West High School. She moved to Ames, Story, Iowa in 1930 where she was the house mother in the Mary B. WELCH Hall at Iowa State University.
They had one child: Samuel DINWIDDIE McFADDEN, born 10 April 1901 in Iowa. He died 21 Mar 1976 in Vista, California. No further info.
In 1949, Mary moved to San Francisco, California.
No death or burial info.
Charles Henry ELDRIDGE had 2 child-bearing wives: Josephine B. THOMPSON ELDRIDGE and Mary Josephine "Josephine" WATERMAN ELDRIDGE. Charles had 8 children total. Charles' middle wife, Rebecca THOMPSON, sister of Josephine, died childless after 18 mos.
Anna Josephine was born 1 Apr 1876 in Davenport, Iowa and attended public schools. She graduated from Mrs. Abigail O. Sherriff's Teacher Training School in Davenport and taught at Polk Elementary School (no longer exists) in southwest Davenport, and at J.B. Young Intermediate School in Davenport where she was the drawing teacher.
On 23 June 1909, Anna Josephine, now called Anna Marjorie, married Clarence Sidney PALMER at Davenport's St. John's Methodist Church.
Clarence PALMER was born in 1873 in Canada (no other info) to Norris and Martha NORTH PALMER. The family moved to Davenport in 1898 where Clarence attended school. Anna Josephine/Marjorie and Clarence moved to Seattle, King, Washington where Clarence had been working for the past 3 years as a steamfitter for a heating and plumbing company. In the summer of 1910, D. Rae and Anna with mom Mary Josephine decided to leave Davenport and live with the PALMERS. Clarence died of a heart attack 3 Dec 1910. The family returned to Davenport and Anna resumed teaching. They had no children.
Anna and D. Rae retired in 1935 and moved to Los Angeles, California where she died.
I have no death info on either Anna Josephine/Marjorie ELDRIDGE PALMER or Alta Ray/D. Rae Eldridge.