KarlaS on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
James MITCHELL (parents Robert MITCHELL and Elizabeth CA(M)PBELL) was born 22 Sep 1772 in Monongahela, PA, USA. He died 21 Sep 1860 in Jackson, IN, USA.
The folowing note probably applies to James Mitchell, but perhaps also to his father, who seems to have settled in Washington township:
"HISTORY OF JACKSON COUNTY. 445
CHAPTER XIII.VERNON TOWNSHIP - GENERAL FEATURES - FIRST SETTLEMENT - MILLING ENTERPRISES - RELIGION - EARLY PREACHERS - NEWRY AND OTHER
The first settlement made in Vernon Township was in the
extreme northern part, not far from the site of the little town of
Newry. The first settlers were Luther Beadle, who was said to
have been present at Pigeon Roost massacre; Hughes Hall, set-
tled near State Ford; Robert Jillaspy, who made the second land
entry in the township, 1820. Hiram Marling, who is one of the
oldest now living, came at an early day. John D. Neal made the
first land entry in the year 1819. The McDonalds and Ballards
came at a very early day. John Bell entered a small tract of land
in 1820, and Samuel Spaul in 1821. Moses Houghland, James
King, and the Owenses are also classed among the pioneers. Set-
tlements were made further south by George Langdon, Albert
Nelson, the Riders, Blunts and Mitchells. "
James married (M.) Elizabeth Bone (Wheeler?). (M.) Elizabeth Bone was born 3 Aug 1794 in KY, USA. She died 15 Oct 1856 in Jackson, IN, USA.
James MITCHELL and (M.) Elizabeth Bone (Wheeler?) had the following children:
1. Deborah MITCHELL was born 20 Apr 1836 in Jackson County, IN, USA. She died 21 Jan 1905 in Indianapolis, Indiana.
James married Mathilda Brown on 23 Jun 1859 in Jackson, IN, USA. Mathilda was born 1830 in KY, USA.
James married Eunice Harmon on 6 Sep 1796 in Woodford, KY, USA. Eunice was born 10 Nov 1774 in Woodford, KY, USA. She died 1833 in Jackson, IN, USA.
James MITCHELL and Eunice Harmon had the following children:
1. William Mitchell was born 1807 in Jackson, IN, USA.
2. James Mitchell was born 1814 in Brownstown, Jackson, IN, USA. He died 1847 in Jackson, IN, USA.
3. George Washington MITCHELL was born 12 Mar 1827 in Jackson County, IN, USA. He died 9 Dec 1914 in Chariton, IA, USA.
4. Abigail Mitchell.
5. Elizabeth Mitchell.
6. Jane Mitchell was born 1817.
7. Sarah Ann Mitchell was born 4 Sep 1811. She died 24 Nov 1878 in Jackson, Lucas, IA, USA.
8. Thomas Mitchell.
George Washington MITCHELL (parents James MITCHELL and Eunice Harmon) was born 12 Mar 1827 in Jackson County, IN, USA. He died 9 Dec 1914 in Chariton, IA, USA.
George Washington married Mary Ann DOUGLASS on 5 Oct 1848 in Jackson, IN, USA. Mary Ann (parents Martin DOUGLASS and Melinda\Malinda WHEDON) was born 11 Nov 1827 in Jackson County, IN, USA. She died 20 Nov 1918 in Chariton, Lucas, IA, USA.
George Washington MITCHELL and Mary Ann DOUGLASS had the following children:
1. Unknown Infant was born 2 Sep 1849. He died 2 Sep 1849.
2. George N Mitchell was born 1851 in Jackson, IN, USA. He died 1932 in Warren, Lucas, IA, USA.
3. James Martin Mitchell was born 21 Nov 1852 in Jackson, IN, USA. He died 2 Jul 1930 in Wildorado, TX, USA.
4. Franklin Pierce Mitchell was born 14 Jul 1855 in IN, USA. He died 27 Sep 1934 in Chariton, Lucas, IA, USA.
5. John Nelsen Mitchell was born 29 Jan 1857 in Lucas, IA, USA.
6. Joseph Hogan Mitchell was born 20 Oct 1857 in Per Gravestone. He died 1941 in Vernon, IA, USA.
7. Stephen Douglas Mitchell was born 10 Oct 1860 in Lucas, IA, USA. He died 6 Dec 1924 in San Francisco, California, USA.
8. Noah E Mitchell was born 9 Jul 1862 in Lucas, IA, USA. He died in Carnegie, OK, USA.
9. Mary Ida Mitchell was born 19 Jul 1865 in Warren, IA, USA. She died 29 Apr 1919 in Whitebreast, IA, USA.
10. Flora Josephine MITCHELL was born 11 Nov 1867 in Warren, Lucas, IA, USA. She died 24 Feb 1953 in Chariton, Lucas, IA, USA.
11. Lula E Mitchell was born 14 Feb 1870 in Benton Warren, Lucas, IA, USA. She died 8 Jul 1954 in Missouri, USA.
- Displaying 1-2 of 2 Journals