adludwig on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
It is interesting to note that the Gees first settled at the Ashes in 1651. Before then they lived at Lydgate and Silk Hills (between Whaley Bridge [Whaley Bridge is a joint township with Yeardisley in the parish of Taxal located 3 miles from Chapel-en-le-Frieth] and Bugsworth). Silk Hills is in the family once more. Mr. John Thomas Gees son, Mr. Fred Gee being the occupant of the farm.
When the Gees were at Silk Hills in 1604, the living of Taxal was then in their gift. Ralph Gee, the first of the Gees who came to the Ashes married Sarah Shallcross, sister of John Shallcross, High Sherriff of Derbyshire. One of those sons became a barrister in the Middle Temple. Two members of the family, Robert Gee M.A. and John Gee, held the levies of Chapel-en-le Frith (Frith is a forest or wood) and Taxal. Chapel-en-le-Frith is 167 miles from London. Its name signifies Chapel in the Forest. In 1835 the manufacture of cotton was the principle industry here. Lead and coal mines and limestone quarries were also located here in 1835.
TAKEN FROM THE HISTORY OF CHAPEL-EN-LE -FRITH
Robert Gee, a member of an old family living in the parish of Glossop at the beginning of the sixteenth century, was a tenant of Lydgate Farm in 1519. In 1608 the then tenant of Lydgate Farm bought Lydgate Farm and part of Silk Hills from Thomas Bagshaw. This Thomas Gee in 1606 presented a rector of Taxal in right of a grant made to him by Thomas Downs. The Gees remained at Lydgate Farm until 1750.
LYDGATE FARM is located in or near Eyam, a township, village and parish. The church of St. Lawrence, formerly known as St. Helen, stands nearly in the center of the village. he village. The disease It is said was brought from London to Eyam in a box of clothes sent to a tailor who resided near the church. (Excerpts from Kellys directory of Derbyshire, 1932). Today, the farm is an operating Bed and Breakfast.
They were firm supporters of Chinley Chapel, Ralph Gee being one of the original trustees. R. Clegg records many visits to the house. December 25, 1741 they sold Silk Hills soon afterwards. J.T. [possibly John Thomas] Gee of the Ashes, Kinder bought it in 1912 and it is at present in the hands of two grandsons.
A Francis Gee with three other was by ye gentlemen and owners of ye said commons on boundaries in 1712. Ralph Gee fell from his horse and was killed in 1729. Of his family was the Reverend John Gee, curate of Taxal from 1757 until his death in 1786. His tomb is in Taxal church. Robert Gee M.A., probably a member of this family, was Vicar of Chapel-en-le Firth from 1645 to 1648, then he became Vicar of St. Peters in the county of Derby. He returned to Chapel-en-le-Frith in 1651 and was buried in the Chancel on May 1, 1652.
A John Gee was Clerk of Works when the new road was made from Chapel to Sparrows Pit eight miles.
Roeside Farm: Frances Gee who married Elizabeth Marchenton [Marchington] died in 1679 devised his estate to his widow. A Francis Gee with three other was by ye gentlemen and owners of ye
Austinlee Farm: Henry Gee tenant 1626.
Smithy Bridge: built Re Gee constable RNI715. Ralph Gee trustee of Chinley chapel gave in pounds 5,1711.00. Henry Gee, another Uncle Edwin, was a cobbler. One of the Gees named Ralph, bought the Ashes in the [hamlet of] Kinder, Hayfield in 1641 from the crown. So I take it, it was wasteland and unimproved. In 1651 he took his bride there, one of Sir John Shallcross sister, Sarah. One of their sons became a barrister in the Middle Temple, London. The eldest son carried on from father to son until 1912 when the Stockport corporation bought all the land up that valley to make a reservoir, but it has never been made and a business man in Manchester bought the Ashes and is going to run a T.T. milk farm when they get new buildings built.
- Displaying 1-1 of 1 Journals