iamjoy on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
I am researching the surname BRENGETTSY. I researched the origin but came up with nothing. I also looked on ancestry.com and I found that the first Brengettsy (Frank), recorded on the census was born in Switzerland. Below are some of my findings and support from others.
MY POSSIBILITES OF THE ORIGIN OF BRENGETTSY
· It may be of British or Italian origin. British based on sy or cy ending.The Italian has some etymologic support -- there are names with a similar based BRENGHETTO, BRENGETTO, and BRENGHEZZI which sounds very much like the ts and could be an original version of the name, as many immigrants anglicized their names.
· On the 1860 Census the birth of Joseph BRINGETSY was 1823 from Switzerland.
· On the 1870 Census the birth of a Joseph WINGETSEY was 1831 from South Carolina.
· On the 1880 Census the Birth of Joseph BRINGETRY was 1830 from German.
· It could be a Prussian name
· Itís possible the spelling of the name was change. Family members Iíve met so far spell their names BRENGETTSY, BRENGETTSEY, BRENGETTCY, and BRENGETCY
With my findings I am more accepted to the fact that BRENGETTSY is a German (Old Prussian) name more so than an Italian name. Any other possibilities I am very much opened to review. Thank you in advance for your input.
- Displaying 1-1 of 1 Journals