janilye on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Category: Member Interest
The Von STURMERs in New Zealand were not always Von and it was spelt STURMER.
The Von Sturmer's in New Zealand are decendants of Frederick STURMER 1804-1876 he was born on 9 April 1804 in Hackney Middlesex England, died on 3 March 1876 in Kensington Middlesex England at age 71, and was buried in Kensal Green Cemetery London England.
Now, Frederick married (1)Mary NORRIS on 3 July 1828 in St Mary's Richmond Surrey England, daughter of John NORRIS and Elizabeth CLARKE. Mary was born on 1 March 1801 in Richmond Surrey England and was christened on 5 April 1801 in St Mary Magdalen Richmond Surrey England. She died on 7 January 1873 in Heapham Lincolnshire England at age 71.
They had about 6 children among them a son; Frederick John VON STURMER 1829-1897 (he and a brother Spencer William, who migrated to Australia added the VON) was born on 8 April 1829 in Oxford Oxfordshire England and died on 5 August 1897 in Hamilton Waikato New Zealand at age 68.
Frederick STURMER's father was Samuel STURMER 1763-1816 son of John Samuel STURMER 1732-1764 and Ann HILL.
John Samuel STURMER 1732-1764 and Ann HILL 1732-1899 children were:-
1. John Sturmer (1757 - 1796)
Born in London on 8 May 1757 to John Samuel Sturmer and Ann Hill. He passed away on 17 Apr 1796 in Jamudang, India.
2. Benjamin Augustus Sturmer (1758 - 1760)
Born in London on 21 Dec 1758 to John Samuel Sturmer and Ann Hill. He passed away on 4 Feb 1760 in London.
3. William Sturmer (1762 - 1797)
Born in City London on 12 Sep 1762 to John Samuel Sturmer and Ann Hill. He passed away on 14 Mar 1797 in Cawnpore, Bengal Bahar, India.
3. Samuel Sturmer (1763 - 1816)
Born in Threadneedle, London on 23 October 1763 to John Samuel Sturmer and Ann Hill. Samuel married Louisa Ogier and had 5 children. He passed away on 15 Sep 1816 in Poplar, Middlesex, London
Samuel was born on 23 Oct 1763 in in Threadneedle Street, London England and died on 15 Sep 1816 in Poplar London England at age 52. He married Louise OGIER who was born on 29 Jun 1761 in Stepney London England, was christened on 15 Jul 1761 in London England, and died in 1843 in Boulogne Sur Mer Pas De Calais France at age 82.
Here's the connection with Germany>
John Samuel STURMER (1732 - 1764)
Born in Frankfurt-On-Oder, Brandenburg, Prussia on 20 Jun 1732 to Jacob Sturmer and Johanna Marsel. John Samuel married Ann Hill and had 4 children. He passed away on 1764 in England.
Jacob STURMER(1687 - 1741)
Born in Zullichau, Brandenburg, Prussia on 6 May 1687 to Jacob Sturmer and Catherine Semler. Jacob married (1)Ursula Maria Tiebel. Jacob married (2)Johanna MARSEL. He died on 14 August 1741 in Frankfurt-On-Oder, Brandenburg, Prussia.
Johanna MARSEL (1706 - 1750)
Born on 1706. I'm afraid nothing much is known of her. She died on 4 October 1750 in Frankfurt On Oder, Brandenburg, Prussia
Jacob's great grandfather back as far as the 16th century were still STURMER with no added Von.
The Obituary of John Gunn who died on the 6 March 1897, transcribed from a copy of the Launceston Examiner dated 17 March 1897.
It is our painful duty to record the death, at the comparatively early age of 56, of one of Launceston's most sterling and useful citizens in the person of Mr. John Gunn, the senior partner in the widely-known building firm of Messrs. J. and T. Gunn, who expired yesterday afternoon, at his late residence, Elphin road, after an illness extending over three weeks. The cause of death was a pulmonary affection, which developed such serious proportions as to necessitate an operation being performed by Drs. Maddox, Clemons, and Hogg, which, however, was of no avail.
A fortnight back, Mr. Gunn, with a view of endeavouring to shake off the illness which threatened him, visited George Town, but the change not having the desired effect he returned to the city, where he ultimnately sank, the news of his decease being, received by all Lauceston with unfeigned expressions of the deepest sorrow. Though deceased never entered public life, he was one of the best known, and, it may be added, most respected, men in the colony, his business connection extending all through the island. Mr. Gunn was the son of Mr. Alexander Gunn, who came to Launceston from Adelaide when his son John was but a month old, so that deceased cannot exactly be called a native of Tasmania, though he received his education here, and the greater portion of his subsequent career was passed in this island. His first essay in the direction of learning a trade, after leaving school at the early age of eleven, was made in the grocery establishment of Mr.Donald McQueen, situated where the Central Hotel now stands, but this not being altogether to his liking he became apprenticed as a bricklayer to Mr. John French, a contractor, who carried on business where Ratten's Bazaar now is.
On the completion of his apprenticeship there Mr. Gunn entered the service of Mr. Rhodes, another contractor, who, however, soon after went to Auckland, New Zealand, and a little later on induced Mr. Gunn to follow him.
During their stay in Maoriland, Messrs. Rhodes and Gunn were very successful with their contracts, their operations extending' over six or seven years and including the erection of substantial premises for the Bank of New Zealand in Auckland.
Mr. Gunn's next sphere of operations was Sydney, where he remained a year or two. In the New South Wales metropolis, however, he was unfortunate enough to meet with an accident, the result of which was an injury to his ankle, and this, in a measure, contributed to his early return to Launceston, for which city he left Sydney so soon as he had com pleted the contract on which he was engaged.
On his arrival in Launceston he took up a position for a time in the Gold Mine grocery establishment of Mr. R. H. Price, on what is now generally known as the Exchange corner, but in 1872 entered into partnership with his brother Thomas as contractors under the style of J. and T. Gunn - a firm which for the last 25 years has steadily grown until it has assumed proportions which entitle it to be considered one of the principil establishments in the colony.
When Mr. John Gunn returned to Launceston his brother was in partnership with Mr. John Dean, and they were the contractors, it may be mentioned, for the erection of Struan House, one of the finest residences in the city. On Mr. Dean dropping out, of the partnership, Messrs. John and Thomas Gunn commneced operations as timber merchants and contractors, their yards then being where Kimberley's stalls now are, and where Mr. John Barret, and a timber yard before them.
Later on as the business grew the necessity for extra accommodation and new plant led to the erection of steam saw and moulding mills in Brisbane-street, next to the Club Hotel, which were subsequently extended to double their original proportions. A substantial and ornate edifice was erected nearly opposite as offices and show-rooms and below Straun House a large sawing plant was located, and now forms the centre of industry for a large number of men. Messrs. Gunn were also responsible for the introduction of steam brick-making machinery at Glen Dhu, and in various other parts of the city is to be found ample evidence of the extensive character of their business in the shape of timber stacks and other necessaries of their trade.
To catalogue the buildings which the firm have erected during the last quarter of a century, both in Launceston and out of it, will be but to necessarily amplify what has been already sufficiently emphasised, and all that need be said here is that whatever they undertook to carry out was invariably accomplished in a most thorough manner and characterised by most honest workmanship.
In short the record of the firm is of an absolutely unblemished character.
In his private capacity Mr. Gunn was widely esteemed. He was one of the most genial and sympathetic of men albeit of a most unobtrusive disposition. From his boyhood he was an ardent student, being practically selftaught and in later life lent considerable encouragement to the next generation to do likewise, the Launceston Technical School receiving substantial assistance, not only by generous donations from time to time, but also by the advice which, in his position as a member of the committee he was so well qualified to give. Time after time Mr. Gunn was asked to enter public life, but he invariably declined, and contented himself in making quiet, but close, observance of all that concerned the colony at large, and especially the city in which his largest interests were centred.
Deceased, however, was closely associated with the National Bank of Tasmania, and at the time of his death occupied the responsible position of chairman of directors. He was also the director of the Mutual Fire Insurance Company of Tasmania. Deceased was gazetted as a Justice of the Peace in 1892. In his early days, Mr. Gunn was connected with the Margaret-street Wesleyan Church, at the Sunday school of which he was a regular attendant, and where later on he officiated as a teacher. Subsequently however, the deceased joined the congregation of St. John's, where for a period, he acted as churchwarden.
He married Miss Sarah Morris, his brother and partner marrying a sister, and leaves his widow and a son and daughter to mourn their loss. Three of deceased's sisters reside in Launceston, viz., Mesdames Frank Bushby, Wm. Craw, and John Gee, and a younger brother, Mr. David Gunn, is at present in New Zealand.
Rather less than two years ago Mr. John Gunn visited England and America, and during his stay in those countries made a number of enquiries into the timber trade, bringing back with him a quantity of valuable information. It is to be regretted, however, that the trip had not a more lasting benefit upon his health. The funeral will leave deceased's late residence, 13 Elphin-road, at 9.30 a.m. to-morrow for Charles-street cemetery.
TROVE we need volunteers
Besides The Drouin Collection of Quebec Vital and Church Records. Which I believe can now be accessed through ancestry.com
give these following sites a go.
Library and Archives of Canada
Canada GenWeb Project
For Cemeteries D'ADDEZIO.com and GenWeb Cemeteries
Gnalogie du Qubec et de l'Acadie
Canada GenWeb for Kids
Also Canadian Convicts to Australia 1839-1840
American patriots, convicted at Fort Henry, Toronto
and French Canadians, convicted at Montreal
Because of embarrassment and the desire to gain status in their community, there was a widespread cover-up involving ordinary families and officials to keep their convict past secret. During the early nineteenth century some families who had aquired wealth thought their convict antecedants were a handicap to them attaining status and respect. A case in point is Mary REIBY, nee HAYDOCK 1777-1855, the first female retailer in Sydney. At 13 she was transported to New South Wales for dressing up as a boy and stealing a horse. She arrived in 1792 on the 'Royal Admiral' and spent two years as a nursemaid. She married Thomas REIBY 1769-1811, an irish officer she had met on the voyage from Britain. Mary and Thomas set up a store near Sydney Harbour. Thomas spent a good deal of time buying ships and travelling and Mary looked after the business and their 7 children.
Thomas died in 1811 and Mary was left with the lot including a new warehouse in George Street. Mary was one of the earliest settlers of Hunters Hill. She built a cottagelater known as Fig Tree Houseon land that fronted the Lane Cove River; Reiby Street is named after her.
In 1821 She travelled back to England and bought valuable property and buildings over there, She lived off her investments and died a very wealthy woman.
Mary was far-sighted and when a sequence of official musters culminating in the census of 1828 came around she recorded the ship on which she had returned on after her visit to England, thereby appearing in the 1828 muster as came free on the 'Mariner' in 1821.
If Mary had not been so well known this stratagem would have created a huge puzzle for her decendants and family researchers.
*The full story of Mary REIBY as Mary REIBEY 1777-1855 can be obtained online.
**Dr.Alison Alexander an academic historian at the university of Tasmania asked 127 of her students if they were decended from convicts. Of nearly 20% who knew they were. 60% had only, discovered the information through research done by a family member.
- Displaying 1-4 of 4 Journals