janilye on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
The sixth child and fourth son of Thomas EATHER and Elizabeth LEE was born at Green Hills in the Hawkesbury district on 3 October 1804 and was named John. Two days previously his twin brothers, Charles and Thomas, had turned four. John had been a family name amongst Thomas's ancestors since 1647. Early in August 1805 Thomas and Elizabeth had their infant son John and the twins christened. These baptisms were recorded at Parramatta on 11 August 1805. In all 42 baptisms were recorded in the Parramatta register that day. In none was the place of the baptism recorded, but from a survey of the names it is obvious that most, if not all, of the baptisms were of Hawkesbury district children. Their birthdates ranged from 1798 to 1805. It is believed this is how the birthdates of the twins Charles and Thomas were given as 1805 to records at NSW BD&M. Obviously a minister of the Church of England had made a rare tour of the Hawkesbury district, which still had no Church, and residents had made use of the occasion to catch up on the christening of their children. When John was an infant his father was farming fifteen acres, apparently half of the land that he had been granted in 1797 on Rickaby's Creek at Green Hills. The family home was on higher land above the farm and it was there that John lived until he was about sixteen. When he was three his sister Rachel was born, and when he was six his brother James joined the family. One of the experiences of his childhood which might have become indelibly etched upon his memory , was the sight of the 1809 record flood, when all of the lowlands around Green Hills were submerged and the Hills rendered into a temporary island. In the hard year for the EATHERS that followed, John was one of their children victualled by the Government store.
John was about seven when Governor Macquarie visited Green Hills; decided that it would be the site of a town named Windsor, and supervised its layout. In the years that followed, the town gradually developed. As a child in a community that was largely illiterate, John grew up without the benefit of formal schooling. As a teenager, he undoubtedly gained experience as a farm labourer, while assisting his father in the various chores on his farm. He saw the gradual growth of the town as new shops, hotels and dwellings were erected. When he was about fourteen he saw his brother-in -law, Joseph Onus, carting loads of bricks in his dray to the site on the hill where the new St Matthew's Church was slowly taking shape. In the early 1820's, when John was in his late teens, his father Thomas EATHER purchased a rectangular allotment on the south-eastern side of George Street, the main street of Windsor. In due course the members of the EATHER family still living at home, took up residence in an L-shaped house on the north-eastern corner of the allotment, close to George Street . After 1824, when his brother Thomas was married, John and his younger brother James were the only EATHER children living at home with their parents. On 22 March 1827, when John was 22, his father died. On the following day John was one of the group of mourners who gathered in the churchyard of St Matthew's to see the old man laid to rest. The only member of the EATHER family who was probably missing from the family group on that sad occasion was John's elder brother Thomas, who was establishing himself as a farmer on land far away over the ranges at Wollombi Brook and was most likely unaware that his father had passed away.
Thomas EATHER left a will which had been written at some time during the last two years of his life, after the birth in 1825 of his grandson, Henry Charles the son of his son Charles and Ann HOUGH. Under the terms of this will, the 'three messuages or dwelling houses situate in George Street in the town of Windsor ... together with all horned Cattle, Carts, Ploughs, Harrows and all the implements' were beqeathed to his 'beloved Wife Elizabeth', along with 'all household furniture, goods and effects'. The will further decreed what was to become of the houses, property and effects upon Elizabeth's death. Under the sixth clause John was to receive ''the three back rooms of the house in which I now dwell also situate in George Street aforesaid with all my working Bullocks, Carts, Ploughs, Harness, Harrows and other Agricultural Implements I may be possessed of at the time of my decease''. John was also to share with his younger brother James the household goods and any other effects not already allocated. James was to receive the front two rooms of the house and one cow and calf. Why John should have been singled out to receive the working bullocks, carts and farm machinery can be readily understood. His three older brothers, Robert, Charles and Thomas, were already out in the world with occupations and families of their own. James was still a teenage lad. John was the single adult amongst the sons. Thomas's decision to divide the house in which he dwelt between John and James, while the other two houses were divided amongst his grandchildren, is also logical. John and James were the two sons still living at home, and therefore they wouldn't have to move out of their home upon the demise of their mother. In real terms the content of his father's will had little immediate impact upon John. He continued to reside at home with his mother. He had probably been the member of the family who had made the most use of the carts and farm machinery during the last few years of his father's life, and he probably continued to do so. Judging from the contents of his will, Thomas EATHER owned no land other than the George Street allotment after 1825, and the farm machinery and working bullocks would have been idle except when John used them in labouring jobs or contracts in the district. He would have shouldered increased responsibility with the passing of his father, as his mother would have become dependant upon him in many ways, ranging from transport to maintenance of the family home. When the census of New South Wales was taken in 1828, John was the only one of Elizabeth EATHER's children residing at home with her. James EATHER was then seventeen and still single, but was away from home at the time that the census was taken. John's occupation then was that of a labourer. Elizabeth had decided to supplement her income by taking in boarders, and in the years that followed, usually had a few lodgers staying at her house. This may have thrown more responsibilities upon John. Unlike his four brothers, John remained a bachelor throughout his life. How much this was due to his feeling of responsibility to his widowed mother, we shall never know.
Little is known about his life after 1828, when he was 24. Research has not revealed any application in his name for a land grant, although his brothers Robert and Thomas both applied for such. He evidently had no interest in squatting on the Liverpool Plains, as had both Robert and Thomas. There is no record of his ever having taken out a licence to depasture stock 'beyond the limits of District'. If he ever did ride up the Hunter Valley to the Liverpool Plains it would have been in the minor role of a stockman or drover. He does not appear to have owned any land in the Hawkesbury district. His name does not appear amongst those enrolled on the electoral roll in 1860. Perhaps he rented land for farming purposes, but whether he was concerned with farming we do not know. Possibly he became skilled in one of the trades as a blacksmith, harness-maker or wheelwright and plied those skills in or near Windsor. Perhaps, being without family responsibilities, he was content to earn a living as a labourer, either in town or on the farms. After 1836 when his brother James married, John was the only single member of the family. It is likely that he continued to reside at home and was a companion to his mother as she got older. Elizabeth had a long widowhood of 33 years and probably continued to live on in her George Street home until the frailties of old age forced her into the care of one of her daughters, all of whom resided in or near Richmond. Elizabeth passed away on 11 June 1860 after having attained the age of about 90. John was then 55 and was almost surely one of the mourners who gathered in the churchyard of St. Matthew's Anglican Church at Windsor to see her laid to rest in a grave beside that of her late husband. With the passing of his mother, John inherited the three back rooms of the George Street house and half of the household possessions. The carts and farm machinery, if they hadn't been disposed of in the intervening years, were his property at last. His father's working bullocks weren't around to be inherited. Age and hard work had gradually claimed their lives over the years. Following Elizabeth EATHER's death the EATHER allotment in George Street, Windsor was surveyed and sub-divided into six small allotments, each approximately fourteen and one -sixth perches in area, with a frontage of about thirty feet to George Street and a depth of about 128 feet. As the result of some agreement amongst those who were to share the land, John was allocated the second of these. The L-shaped house, which he was to share with James, was on the first allotment, which had been allocated to James. A year later, in June 1861, James mortgaged his allotment to a grazier, John HOSKISSON, for 250. He evidently came to some arrangement with John to compensate him for his half of the family home, which was on the allotment mortgaged. John EATHER retained his small allotment for over nine years. What he did with it in that period we do not know. It is unlikely that he had a cottage erected on it. Judging from the low price at which he eventually sold it, there were no improvements on it. At last, on 9 September 1869, shortly before he turned 65, John sold his allotment to John HOSKISSON for the sum of 40 sterling. On the same day, HOSKISSON became the owner also of James EATHER's allotment. James had never paid off the 250 for which he had mortgaged it in 1861. Instead he had borrowed another 200 from HOSKISSON on 17 August 1867. Thus, on 9 September 1869 an Indenture was drawn up , under which HOSKISSON obtained possession of the house and allotment for the sum of 480 sterling. James had in effect sold his property for the 450 he had borrowed, plus interest of 30 that had accrued over the eight years. How John EATHER spent his later years is a matter for conjecture. The likelihood is that he continued to live in or near Windsor, as he had done for the rest of his life.
The only later information about him is that revealed by his death certificate. On 5 November 1888, a month after he turned 84, he died in the Windsor Hospital. Perhaps he died a lonely man. The informant who registered his death was unable to provide the name of his parents. His three sisters and his brothers Robert and Thomas had all predeceased him. His younger brother James was living far away at Narrabri on the Liverpool Plains. The other brother to survive him was eighty-eight year-old Charles, who was living at Richmond . John had numerous nieces and nephews residing in the Hawkesbury district. Perhaps some of them were present at his funeral when he was buried in the same Churchyard as his parents. John EATHER never married and left no descendants - he died at Windsor hospital and the informant for his death certificate had no knowledge of his family.
John Eaton 1811-1904 Son of
William Eaton 1769-1858 and Jane Ison LLoyd 1770-1823
Mary Ann Onus 1813-1897 daughter of Joseph Onus 1782-1835 and Ann Elizabeth Eather 1793-1865
Not long after John Eaton married Mary Ann at St.Matthews, Windsor on the 17th of January 1831, they too moved to the Hunter River district as a prelude to more distant interests. John Eaton and his brother Daniel, rode in 1836 to the vicinity of the present town of Inverell and in the same area, closer to the modern town of Moree, Daniel Eaton established at that time his "Binniguy" run on the Gwydir river. John was spending little time at home in his restless search for land. Mary Ann had only one child between 1833 and 1837.
In 1844 the family moved to the Roseberry Run on the Richmond River and ten years later there was yet another wholesale removal, this time to "Teebar", a consolidated property of 58,000 acres, near Maryborough in Queensland. John leased Teebar from Henry Cox Corfield in 1849 and later in 1854 Corfield transfered the property to John Eaton. Henry Cox Corfield's wife Jessie, nee MURRAY 1824-1853 had died in 1853 and he was so affected he felt he could not live on the property again.
John was keen to send the family by ship to Queensland, along with the furniture and personal possessions. However, Mary Ann insisted that the family go overland with him, and family records indicate that it was just as well she did, as the vessel carrying their possessions to Wide Bay was wrecked and all their belongings lost. Life at Teebar was made very difficult by the frequent and determined onslaughts of the aborigines but the area was gradually pacified and the station extended.
John became Mayor of Maryborough in his time there while holding a position on many projects and public establishments.
In 1869 with his son-in-law, the husband of Mary Ann Elizabeth, Walter HAY, John bought a paddle Steamer named "Sir John Young". This vessel was used on the Mary River as a tug, towing loads of sugar cane to the mills.
On one of the later acquisitions, Eatonvale, in 1859, John Eaton built a palatial residence, set overlooking the Mary river. Built from home-made clay bricks and fitted with beautiful rich cedar from James Eather's farm at Dorrigo. He named the home 'Rosehill' and it came complete with ballroom, and on one occasion the Governor of Queensland stayed there when visiting Maryborough.
You can visit Rosehill and tour this beautiful homestead, and still, today in the grounds is the original well, the washouse complete with it's copper. And attached to the washhouse are 'his' and 'her' thunderboxes.
John Eaton owned many properties in the Wide Bay area, he died on 19 June 1904, at Brooweena, Queensland,Australia at age 93
His grave is close to the Teebar homestead at Brooweena in Queensland, Australia
The Brisbane Courier, Tuesday 21 June 1904
DEATH OF AN OLD RESIDENT.
Mr. John Eaton, proprietor of Teebar and other stations in this district, died at the residence of his son-in-law. Mr. R Maitland, of Westwood, on Sunday. The deceased was the oldest pioneer in the district, and was 94 years of age. He was born at Richmond Bottoms, Maitland district, New South Wales. in the year 1810, and leaves some hundreds of descendants, down to tho fifth generation.
Obituary of John Eaton
The Maryborough Chronicle - Tuesday 21st June, 1904
The duty has at last fallen upon us to record with deep regret the death of that splendid old pioneer settler of the Wide Bay district Mr. John Eaton the Squire of Teebar Station at the grand old age of 94 years. The venerable gentleman had only been ailing for a short time and died quietly and peacefully at Westwood the residence of his Son-in-law Mr. Richard Maitland on Sunday night June 19th. Mr. Eaton was in every sense of the word a splendid colonist and one that not merely the district but all Australia might well be proud of. Born at Richmond Bottoms in the Maitland district it is questionable whether any older born Australian colonists were alive at his death. As a boy he worked in Sydney and afterwards had a hard life up country, farming and cattle breeding. About 44 years ago he took up Teebar run and arrived there overland with his wife and family from New South Wales. He had resided there ever since with the exception of some time spent in Maryborough in the early sixties. During his long occupation of Teebar Mr. Eaton carried on grazing pursuits most successfully. He also invested largely in Maryborough property, and was one of the founders of the once famous Eatonvale sugar plantation and factory. In the earlier days Mr. Eaton took a most active interest in the public affairs of Maryborough. He was one of our first aldermen and was the second Mayor of the town succeeding Mr. Henry Palmer our first Mayor, who is still happily with us, in 1861 and holding office to the end of term in 1862. Our esteemed old citizen Mr. C. E. S. Booker was also a member of that first council, and now that Mr. Eaton has gone, he and Mr Palmer alone remain of the original body of aldermen who laid the municipal foundations of the town. I he present council induced Mr. Eaton a year or so ago to have his photograph taken and his portrait now adorns the gallery of past Mayors in the Municipal chamber. Mr. Eaton was a man of fine physique in his prime and enjoyed an iron constitution, hardened by a very rough bush life in his early days. For many years past he had been famed for his wonderfully sustained vitality and energy. At 90 he could go out on his horse all day and muster stock with the best of them; and even up to two years ago it was his habit to ride about and look after his affairs very keenly. His was a green and vigorous old age almost to the last. He had a family of one son and eight daughters, and at the time of his death he was the head of several hundred descendants down to Great-Great- Grand children. Of his family, Mrs. Eaton died about eleven years ago and the only son William at the same time, Two daughters, Mrs. George Walker and Mrs. Hayes also predeceased him by some years. The surviving daughters are Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. G. Thomas (Clifton), Mrs. Gordon, Mrs R. G. Gilbert, Mrs Maitland and Mrs. Ezzy most of who reside in the district and in the neighbourhood of Teebar with their children and their children's children to the fifth generation, an excellent group of settlers on the land, and primary wealth producers. We have lost from our midst a grand old man upright in all his dealings and generous to a fault. His honoured name which strangely enough is not borne by his host of descendants who are the children of his daughters, will ever be indelibly impressed upon the history of the early pioneering days and development of Maryborough and the Wide Bay District. It has been arranged that the funeral shall take place at Teebar on Wednesday afternoon - when the remains of the deceased will be laid beside those of his wife. Mr. Ammenhauser, Undertaker, is proceeding by train to Teebar tomorrow morning, taking the hearse and horses with him.
The Western Champion and General Advertiser for the Central-Western Districts, Monday 19 September 1904
THE will of the late John Eaton, of Westwood, Bompa, grazier, has been
proved at 29,998,
The Brisbane Courier, Tuesday 15 November 1904
SALE OF LAND
One of the largest attendances of people that his ever attended a public auction sale in Maryborough was witnessed on Saturday morning last at Bryant and Co's auction mart, when a number of properties in the estate of the late John Eaton of Teebar were ofiered for sale, and also some of the personal effects of the de
ceased Bidding was not spirited. Half an acre of land it the corner of Richmond
and Ellena streets opposite the Sydney Hotel on which is erected a small but cher shnop was passed in at 230. Half an acre facing Adelaide, Alice and Lennox streets was passed in at 250. The Bid well paddock at Tinana, containing over 600 acres occupied by Mycock and Son which is considered to be one of the best dairying properties in the district had 2. 5s per acre offered but the owners re quired more. A 300 acre paddock at the Two- mile in the Tinana district was bought by Mycock and Son at 14s. per acre. A 74 acre paddock at the junction of the Tinana Creek and the Mary River was bought by Mr. L. Steindl at 4 10s. per acre. Seventeen allotments in the original township of Tiaro were bought by Mr. Waracker at 20 per allotment An area of 1 acre in Owanyilla township was bought by Mr.Geo Pitt foi 1. A 112 acre paddock fronting the Mary River near Etchell's Falls was bought by Mr. Sorrensen at 18s per acre. The deceased's undivided share in selections at Calgoa sold for 25
There are no descendants named 'EATON' from John and Mary Ann EATON as his only son, William, died without issue.
The children of John and Mary Ann
Mary M Eaton 1831 1831
Ann Eaton 1833 1924 m. Richard GILES 1812-1876 2. William THOMPSON 1842-1909
Mary Ann Elizabeth Eaton 1835 1870 m. Walter HAY 1833-1907
Jane Eaton 1837 1872 m. John George WALKER 1819-1914
Elizabeth Mary Eaton 1839 1933 m. Boyce James NICHOLS 1832-1879
Susannah Eaton 1842 1937 m. Thomas CORNWELL 1837-1916
Charlotta Eaton 1844 1923 m. William Isaac INMAN 1840-1869 2. Henry GORDON 1840-1923
Infant Eaton 1846 1846
William Eaton 1847 1887 m. Julia CORNWELL 1849-1942 died without issue
Caroline Eaton 1850 1850
Martha Mary Richmond Eaton 1851 1931 m. Richard MAITLAND 1846-1923
Veronica Eaton 1854 1942 m Abraham John EZZY 1851-1921
Euphemia Eaton 1854-1939 m. Robert Grant GILBERT 1842-1900
The photograph below is Rosehill
which was taken on the occasion of the Governor's visit in the 1860s and was donated to the Maryborough Wide Bay & Burnett Historical Society by Kay Gassan
Honey Fitz was grand father of the 35th President of the United States, John Fitzgerald Kennedy aka JFK. He was also the Mayor of Boston, an office that no Irish Catholic had ever held before him and a congressional representative.His warmth of character earned him the nickname, "Honey Fitz". He also gained the name because of the sweetness of his singing voice. "Sweet Adeline" was his favorite song to sing.
View- Honey Fitz and Boston's 1905 Mayoral Election .
John Francis FITZGERALD was born on the 11 February 1863 in Boston Massachusetts, and died on the 2 October 1950, he was one of 12 children born to Thomas FITZGERALD and Rosanna COX.
Thomas Fitzgerald was born 4 December 1823 in Bruff, Limerick and died in Boston on 19 May 1885 his parents were Michael Fitzgerald b: 1797 (see Notes)and Ellen WILMOUTH. Ellen had been born in Bruff in 1799 and her and Michael were married in Bruff on the 19 January 1821. Ellen FITZGERALD, nee WILMOUTH died in Boston on the 17 November 1875.
Michael FITZGERALD died on the 19 January 1823 at Duganstown, Wexford, Ireland.
The widow of Michael, Mrs. Ellen Fitzgerald, came to Boston with 3 of her daughters and 1 son and went to Prince Edward Island
Rose Anna Cox Fitzgerald was born in Tonymore County Ireland in 1835. The daughter of Philip COX and Mary MCGOVERN. She emmigrated to America where she married Thomas Fitzgerald at St Stephen's Catholic Church in the North End of Boston on the 15 November 1857.
Rosanna died in childbirth having her 13th child on the 18 March 1879. They lost their first child before he was 2. and two girls died in infancy. They had 9 sons, researchers only know of 5 of the sons marrying and having children: John, Michael, James, Henry, and George. Researchers don't know if James, William, and Edward married, and Joseph was the disabled son
Rosanna Cox was a first cousin to Patrick McGovern. Patrick's sister, Bridget was the maid of honor at the wedding of Rose and Thomas Fitzgerald. His sister Susan was the Godmother to Honey Fitz.
The children of Thomas FITZGERALD 1823-1885 and Rose Anna nee COX 1835-1879 were:-
Michael Fitzgerald 1858 1860
James T Fitzgerald 1860 1950
Thomas J Fitzgerald 1861 1893
John Francis Fitzgerald 1863 1950
Michael J Fitzgerald 1864 1925
William S Fitzgerald 1865 1899
Edward C Fitzgerald 1867 1940
Joseph A Fitzgerald 1868 1920
Ellen R Fitzgerald 1870 1870
George F Fitzgerald 1871 1914
Henry S Fitzgerald 1875 1955
Mary Ellen Fitzgerald 1879 1879
Political Career/Connections of John Francis FITZGERALD 1863-1950
Party Affiliation: Democrat
Member of Boston Common Council
1893-1894: State Senator (Massachusetts)
1895-1901 U.S. House of Representatives (Mass. 9th District)
1906-1907: Mayor of Boston
1910-1913: Mayor of Boston
1912: Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts
1916: Democratic Candidate for U.S. Senator from Massachusetts (lost)
1919: U.S. House of Representatives (Mass. 10th District)
1922: Democratic Candidate for Governor of Massachusetts, (lost)
1932: Delegate to Democratic National Convention from Massachusetts
1. There is division as to where Michael Fitzgerald 1797-1823 was born. Some say Bruff, Ireland and other's say it was Amelia Springs, Amelia, Virginia!
2.Tom Fitzgerald came from Bruff. These records are on the parish records in both Knockainey & Bruff. when Jean Kennedy Smith was ambassador in Ireland, she visited Bruff and with her sister they viewed the Bruff parish church records, with the FITZGERALD information on it.
3.The bible used to keep the family records and to swear in JFK as president came from the palatine road, Bruff.
There is no disputing these facts.
4. Honey Fitz married a Hannon women whose parents also emigrated from the Bruff area in county limerick, Ireland.
The Bruff church record are still intact and have all the births,death and marriages of the Fitzgerald clan before they emigrated from Ireland. Although not online.
The Bruff Heritage Group are at present embarking upon a project which they hope will help clarify and establish dates of births and dates of death and marriages recorded in our parish records, relating to various member of the Fitzgerald family.
Below is a portrait of James Francis 'Honey Fitz' Fitzgerald
My third great grandfather John KILDUFF was born about 1793 in County Roscommon Ireland, one of the smallest Irish counties and its name derives from the Irish - Ros Coman, meaning St Coman's Wood. Its social history is mainly based around agriculture and it was badly affected by the great famine of 1845-47. He married Mary McCARTHY 1796-1870 at Roscommon about 1816. Mary McCarthy was born about 1796, to William and Ellen McCarthy, also of Roscommon.
There were no records of John, Mary, their parents, their marriage or any children in the 2000 version of the International Genealogical Index. John and Mary may have had one or two children in Ireland, since her death certificate (1870) indicates that at the time there were four children living and one male and one female deceased. They had at least four children in the Colony but there is no surviving record of other children.
John was involved in illegal activities even after he was married. He was arrested and tried in County Roscommon Court in July 1820. He was convicted of Ribbonism and was sentenced to transportation for fourteen years. The crime is recorded on his Certificate of Freedom dated 11 October 1834. In a sense John was a political prisoner, although Ribbon societies in the first half of the nineteenth century were responsible for disruptive activities and violence against landlords and others.
Once in the colony John kept out of trouble.
He was embarked on the "John Barry" at Cork, Ireland which sailed on the 16 June from Cork with Captain Roger Dobson and Chief Surgeon Dan McNamara, and arriving in the Colony on 7 November 1821.
The Convict Indents papers, record that he was a labourer, that he could not read or write and was a Catholic.
A physical description indicates that John was 5 ft 5 in (about 1.67 m) tall with a fairly pale complexion, fair hair and grey eyes.
The following reconstruction of where John and later his wife Mary lived is based on various sources including parish and civil, birth, marriage and death records and Census records.
John was first assigned to John Good in the District of Bathurst and Melville, where he worked to clear the land and plant crops. About a year later another convict Thomas Killier was also assigned to Good. For some reason John was not recorded in the 1822 Muster of convicts, although Killier is, as a servant to John Good. John Kilduff is recorded in the Muster of 1824/1825 at Melville.
In 1825, John Kilduff petitioned the governor for mitigation of his sentence:
"To His Excellency Sir Thos. Brisbane KCB, Captain General and Commander in Chief of the territory of New South Wales and its Dependencies We hereby certify that John Kilduff, who came by the Ship John Barry, which arrived in the year 1821 has not been convicted of any crime or misdemeanours in this Colony, but is to our certain belief an honest, sober and industrious character, having served faithfully John Good residing in the District of Bathurst from the 10th November 1821 to August 1825. [Signed] J. Harris, Resident Magistrate, John Joseph Therry RCC Clergyman, John Good, Master"
Even with such eminent signatories as Doctor John Harris and the senior Catholic cleric, his petition was unsuccessful, possibly because he had served only about four of his 14 years.
His wife Mary sailed to Sydney on the Thames, which arrived in Sydney from Cork on 11 April 1826 with 37 free women and 107 children as passengers and a cargo of government stores. It's Captain was Robert Fraser and the Surgeon Superintendant Dr. Linton
John was still assigned to John Good. It is thought that he allowed them (with government permission) to live in a house at Seven Hills. In late 1827 when their daughter Mary was born they were almost certainly at Seven Hills. Some time after this John was reassigned to Daniel Kelly at Wilberforce, possibly to allow better living conditions for his wife and child. John Good comes back into the story later, as the uncle of my second great grandfather Patrick William Hall 1821-1900
The Census of October and November 1828 records John, Mary and the 1 year old child Mary at Wilberforce. John was a labourer assigned to Daniel Kelly, a former convict. Three other convicts were also assigned to Kelly. John Good was still at Seven Hills.
Johns sentence expired by servitude in 1834. By the time of the 1841 Census the family was living at Pitt Town. John was the householder and was a farmer. The surviving records are only abstracts. The household consisted of John Kilduff and his wife and three sons and one daughter, all aged seven and under fourteen at the time of the Census and all born in the Colony. There were no convict servants. The house was described as of wood and unfinished but inhabited. The householder was classed in the category landed property, merchants, bankers and professionals so John must have owned or leased the land.
John remained at Pitt Town for the rest of his life. He died on 6 February 1854 aged 60 at Pitt Town. His burial is recorded in the parish record of St Matthews Catholic Church, Windsor which gave his occupation as farmer. He died before civil registration of deaths began (1856) so no other details are available.
Mary Kilduff died on 24 April 1870, age 74 at Cornwallis probably at the home of William and his family. She was laid to rest beside John at the Windsor Catholic Cemetery, Windsor New South Wales.
Her death certificate provides most of the known details of her family and children.
The children of John Kilduff 1793-1854 and Mary Kilduff nee McCarthy 1796-1870 were:-
3. Mary KILDUFF b: 25 November 1827 at Pitt Town d:17 July 1911 Sydney, On 25 November 1847 married Patrick William Hall 1821-1900 The children of this marriage were:-
Mary Ann Josephine HALL 1848 1923
William HALL 1849 1910
Bridget HALL 1852
John Joseph HALL 1855 1906
Edward HALL 1859 1864
Sarah Mary HALL 1862 1938 m. Edward William MCKEE 1884-1962
Emily Johanna HALL 1867 1953
Ellen HALL 1869 1869
Patrick Henry HALL 1869 1871
Agnes HALL 1872 1874
4. John Kilduff b: 21 July 1831, Pitt Town, NSW d: 25 April 1911 at Windsor, NSW. On the 1 December 1858 at Windsor, NSW married Sarah BUCKRIDGE 1840-1930.
The children of this marriage were:-
Eleanor Kilduff 1859 1949
John Robert Kilduff 1860 1906
Ada Sarah Kilduff 1863 1928
Amy Adeline Kilduff 1865
Minnie Elizabeth Kilduff 1868 1937
George Norbert Kilduff 1870 1954
Alfred Rowland Kilduff 1873 1889
Ida Mary Kilduff 1875 1907
Cecily Mary Kilduff 1878 1951
William Martin Kilduff 1881 1902
Mary Isabella Kilduff 1883 1904
5.William Kilduff b:1832 Riverstone, NSW d: 23 April 1911 Windsor, NSW. On the 3 May 1855 at St. Matthews Catholic Church, Windsor, married Mary Sophia SEYMOUR 1837-1916.
The Children of this marriage were:-
Mary Ann Kilduff 1855 1855
Lucy Kilduff 1856 1928
Mary Anne Kilduff 1858 1938
Elizabeth Margaret Kilduff 1862 1945
William Joseph Kilduff 1864 1865
Therese Lydia Kilduff 1865 1945
William Charles Kilduff 1868 1911
George Martin Kilduff 1870 1914
John Joseph Kilduff 1872 1926
Edwin Leonard Kilduff 1875 1943
Frederick Leo Kilduff 1878 1908
Francis Kilduff 1883 1954 m. Mary Ivy Williams 1890-1929
6.Unknown Kilduff 1834 after 1870, according to Mother's death certificate still living when she died
1828 New South Wales, Australia Census (TNA Copy)
New South Wales, Australia Convict Ship Muster Rolls
and Related Records, 1790-1849
1841 New South Wales, Australia, Census
NEW South Wales Registry of Births Deaths Marriages
New South Wales, Australia Historical Electoral Rolls, 1842-1864
New South Wales State Records
Australian National Archives
A huge thanks to
Colin Kilduff,another tireless researcher
Below is a photograph of John Kilduff's Certificate of Freedom,
granted on 11 October 1834
Born on the 19 February 1833 in Glanton Northumberland England. The son of Michael MOFFITT 1793-1853 and Margaret BLACKHALL 1803-1883.
John Moffitt sailed from Liverpool, England on 30 October 1857 in the "Anglo-Saxon" (1104 tons) under Capt. George Welsh bound for Melbourne. Journey of 140 days had been scheduled but the vessel arrived in February 1858. John Moffitt's occupation was described in the ship's papers as "Acct", presumably accountant, and his age shown as 24 years. (Unassisted voyage).
John resided in South Australia for about five years before moving permanently to Victoria.
On the 18 February 1863 in Ballarat Victoria John married Sarah Ann O'DONNELL. Sarah had been born in London in 1843 the daughter of David O'DONNELL 1819-1886 and Sarah BOSDEN 1815-1906. Sarah had arrived on the Plantagenet in Port Phillip Bay on the July 1853 after 3 months at sea, with her parents and syblings. (there were 18 ships in the harbour that day with the same number coming in every day because of the goldrush. (The crews jumping the ships and deserting for the goldfields.)
The children of John MOFFITT and his wife Sarah Ann were:-
Donald Henry Moffitt 1864 1867
John Arthur Moffitt 1866
Albert Edgar Moffitt 1868 ? m. Elizabeth? in Ballarat
Margaret 'Maggie' Moffitt 1870 1870
Robert Percy Moffitt 1872
Frederick Charles Moffitt 1873 1963 m. Jessie Ethel TULLOCH 1875-1919
Frank Blackhall Moffitt 1875 1964 m. Ethel May RAE 1879-1958
Edith Eliza Moffitt 1879 1879
Una Grace Moffitt 1879 1906
Arnold Hastie Moffitt 1884 1963 m. Alice Louisa SILVER 1882-1937
John worked as a draper between around 1875 until he died of pneumonia on 21 November 1895 at Malvern, Victoria.
Sarah Ann died on 22 October 1926 in a private hospital in Malvern Victoria
After their marriage, Rachel EATHER and John Norris became farmers on a small farm of ten acres close by the farm of John's parents at Cornwallis. It was land which had been granted originally to a man named GRIMES, and which John was leasing. At the time of the land and stock muster in 1825, the had all of the ten acres cleared, and had 7 acres sown with wheat and 3 with maize. They had 30 pigs. Their first child, Maria, was born in 1824 when Rachel was about 17. Four years later, when the 1828 census was held, they were living at Cornwallis and were farming ten acres of land, probably the same farm as they had been leasing in 1825. All of the land was under cultivation. They now owned two horses, but no cattle. They still had only one child, Maria, who was four. Nearby, John's parents still had their farm of 50 acres. Of this, 45 acres were cultivated and they had 4 horses and fifteen cattle. Richard's age was recorded as 52 and Mary's as 39. Nine of their twelve children were living at home with them. Their second son, Thomas, was also married and farming nearby, while their third son, Richard, was 20 and working away from home.
A month after the census was taken, Rachel gave birth to their second child, Harriett, on 15 December, 1828 She was baptised at Windsor on 10 February 1829 by the rites of the Roman Catholic Church. In 1932 their first son, Michael John, was born. No record of his baptism has been located. In the autumn of the following year, when Michael John was still a babe in arms, there occurred an event which was to cause a major disruption to the lives of his parents, and which shattered the tranquillity of the lives of their many relatives and friends. The police arrived at John and Rachel's farm; found them in possession of some meat which the police believed to have been from a stolen calf, and arrested John on the charge of cattle stealing. Also arrested that day on charges connected with the same offence, were two of their neighbours, Robert FORRESTER and Jane METCALF. News of the incident spread rapidly through the district and aroused a good deal of gossip and consternation. The trial was held on 25 April 1833 before the Chief Justice, Judge DOWLING. It was alleged that a calf had been stolen from one, Thomas CORBET, and had been slaughtered for meat. John NORRIS was said to have been found in possession of some of the meat. The three accused were found guilty and were remanded for sentence. Alarmed by the situation in which her son had been placed and fearful of the outcome, John's mother, Mary NORRIS, on 5 May 1833, wrote a petition to the Chief Justices, imploring his 'humane interference' upon behalf of her son. John evidently felt that his lawyer had not presented his defence satisfactorily at his trial, and he had a petition prepared on his behalf on 27 May and forwarded to the Chief Justice. His petition was supported by a number of statements by prominent Hawkesbury citizens, including one from Thomas CORBET, the man from who the calf had been stolen. The month of June passed with Rachel and her relatives and friends in state of apprehension as to what effect the petitions might have. On 1 July 1833 to Executive Council met and the petitions were laid before its members, Judges DOWLING and BURTON.
The petition of Mary NORRIS read:-
"To His Honour, Mr Justice DOWLING the Humble Petition of Mary NORRIS Humbly showeth That the Petitioner is the Mother of John NORRIS who was tried and convicted on 25 Ultimo before Your Honor, for Cattle Stealing and remanded for sentence. That Petitioner since her arrival in the Colony has always maintained a respectable Character, now thirty years, and has reared a large family in the paths of virtue and morality and no blemish attached to any of them until the present unfortunate affair, which have thrown them into deep affliction. Petitioner therefore humbly implores Your Honor's humane interference for her son, who is yet to receive sentence, and that Your Honor condescend to inform Petitioner what steps she should persue (sic) in this unfortunate affair. And Petitioner will ever pray.
Sydney, 5th May 1833.
The petition of John NORRIS was a longer document. It read:-
" To His Honor Judge DOWLING Chief Justice of New South Wales The Humble Petition of John NORRIS most respectfully sheweth - That Petitioner was tried for Cattle Stealing on Saturday and found Guilty. That your Petitioner on the day of his trial had three witnesses to prove his innocence but thru' the neglect of his Lawyer they were not called upon - in consequence of which he was found guilty. That the Witnesses your Petitioner has (the benefit of whose testimony he was deprived of) could have Certified upon Oath that the Meat found in his house was sent as a present from the House of the Forresters, without his knowing that it was unlawfully come by, as it was the Custom to make such presents one amongst another - That your Petitioner is a married man and has a Wife and three small children which he is obliged to support by his industry which if they were deprived of Petitioner they would not be able to support themselves. That Petitioner was born in this country and was never before brought to trial for any offence which the accompanying testimonials as to character can certify. That your Petitioner most humbly begs your Honor will be kindly pleased to take his case into your humane consideration to remember that he has a family, dependent upon him, to consider the character that he has formerly bore - to dwell upon the respectable testimonials of Persons that has known him so long and that you will be pleased by the power that is invested in you to use your interference in his behalf with his Excellency the Governor, that he in the humane exercise of his power will be as lenient and show as much mercy to petitioner as circumstances will permit. And Petitioner as is duty bound will ever Pray -
John NORRIS Petitioner"
Accompanying this petition were the following six testimonials:-
" I certify to their Honors the Judges that John NORRIS has been known to me from his infancy. His Father came to the Colony in 1800 with myself and they have always lived in this district. Prior to this conviction I have never heard anything against them. The Father has accumulated some property and I am utterly at a loss to account for him stealing Meat when it is so cheap and the young man in the enjoyment of his health to work and maintain his family.
Wm COX JP 27th May 1833, J BRABYN, Thomas DARGLE"
"I beg leave to certify to their Honourable the Judges of the Colony that I have known the Family of the Petitioner for upwards of twenty years, and that the Crime he has been found guilty of is the first I have ever heard him accused of. I therefore beg leave to recommend him, for the favourable consideration of their Honors, for the most lenient sentence the crime will admit of. John HOWE Coroner Windsor 27th May 1833 George LODER"
"I certify that I have known John NORRIS upwards of four years and that he has never been charged with any offence except the one for which he has lately been tried. S. North JP Supt. of Police Windsor 26th may 1833"
" I certify that I have known John NORRIS upwards of Six years and that he has never been charged with any offence what ever. Benjamin HODSON Chief Constable Windsor"
" I do certify that I have known John NORRIS from his infancy and always considered a sober honest industrious character Patrick BYRNE Thomas CORBET Chief prosecutor"
" I do certify that it does not appear to me that John NORRIS had any part in stealing my Calf that he is convicted for. Given under my hand. Thomas CORBET Witness: Thomas LYNCH"
" I certify that I believe the foregoing statements to be correct. John COBCROFT Jnr District Constable Wilberforce"
The members of the Executive Council studied the petitions that had been laid before them and made decision with regard to them. Soon afterwards they handed down the sentences for which the three accused had been remanded.
The following report appeared in the newspaper, "The Sydney Morning Herald", in its issue that day: " LAW INTELLIGENCE Civil side - The Chief Justice and Judges DOWLING and BURTON took their seats in Banco this morning, when the following persons were put to the bar, and received the judgement of the court Robert FORRESTER and John NORRIS, for Cattle Stealing, Death recorded, and Jane METCALF for receiving part of the meat known to have been stolen, to be imprisoned in the third class of the factory for 12 months". Whatever hopes that Rachel had nourished that the petitions might have had some effect upon the judges were dashed by the announcement of this verdict. Despair engulfed her with the realisation that, within the brief passage of days, her husband could go to the gallows. The cloud was soon lifted. Within a short time John NORRIS's sentence was commuted to 7 years penal servitude in Van Diemen's Land. This verdict, coming after the period of great anxiety and trauma which Rachel had suffered while she had waited for the outcome of her husband's trial and then his sentence, would have been greeted with some feelings of relief, although tempered with the firm belief that fate had dealt him an injustice. For a few weeks John was held in the Sydney Gaol. Then he was transferred to the hulk "Phoenix" in Sydney Harbour, pending his transportation. From there he was transferred to the "Medway", and on it made the voyage from Sydney to Hobart, where he arrived in October 1833. This was a new experience for him, but one which he would have enjoyed much more under different circumstances. His convict indent described him as 31 years of age, over 5'9" tall, with fresh complexion, light brown hair and grey eyes. He was married with three children; his wife Rachel being at Windsor. He stated, "I expect her by the first ship." John was evidently aware that his wife intended to join him in Van Diemen's Land as soon as possible. Early in the following month Rachel bid a sad farewell to her mother; her sisters and brothers and John's relatives, and travelled to Sydney. On 8 November 1833 the vessel "Sir John Rae Ried" under Captain HAIG departed from Sydney Harbour for Hobart. One of the passengers on board was Mrs Rachel NORRIS. Presumably she had her three children with her. The youngest, Michael John, was scarcely a year old. By the middle of November John and his family were reunited and they set up house in Hobart. John had been allocated to 'Public Works' in or near the town. On 27 September 1834 a daughter was born to Rachel at Hobart and named Elizabeth. John's period of penal servitude was whittled away gradually by the passage of time. In 1835 he was still on Public Works. Time probably passed slowly for Elizabeth, who undoubtedly missed the familiar sights of her Hawkesbury surroundings and the familiar faces of loved ones. On 17 July 1837 another son was born and named Thomas. Two more long years passed and on 3 November 1839, after Rachel had been in Hobart for almost six years, a daughter Rachel, was born to her. She and John now had six thriving children. In 1840 John NORRIS completed his sentence and was granted his freedom. The family returned to Sydney by ship in late July or early August and were soon residing once more at Cornwallis. Excitement would have prevailed as they were greeted by their relatives after an absence of nearly seven years. On 23 August 1840 infant Rachel was baptised at Windsor, and a week later daughter Elizabeth and son Thomas were baptised. One sad feature of their homecoming was that John's father was not there to greet them. In 1838, as a grey-haired old man of over sixty years, he had been found guilty of some transgression of the law, and transported once again. Forty years had passed since his former conviction. He made his last will on 15 March 1838, and was transported soon afterwards to Norfolk Island. He was there when John and his family returned from Van Diemen's Land, and they were destined never to see him again, as he died on Norfolk Island on 19 February 1843 and was laid to rest in the cemetery down by the beach at Kingston. Rachel found some changes amongst her relatives too upon her return. Her brothers-in-law, Joseph ONUS and Robert WILLIAMS, were both dead, and her sister Ann was remarried to William SHARP. Her brother James was married and living at Richmond. For a few months John and Rachel resided at Cornwallis and then, on 3 October 1840, John bought 60 acres of land at Kurrajong from Roger CORNER. The family had taken up residence on their new farm by early in 1841. The house into which they moved was a simple dwelling of timber construction. It was a home that twelve year-old daughter Harriet was to know for only a few short months. On 10 October 1841, that year, she died and was buried in the Churchyard of the Roman Catholic Church at Windsor. Her mother, Rachel was pregnant again at that time and five months later, on 17 March 1842, was safely delivered of another daughter who was named Ann. Born at Kurrajong, she was christened in the Roman Catholic Church at Windsor. On 30 January 1843 Rachel and John celebrated the first of their family weddings. On that day their eldest daughter, Maria, aged eighteen, was married to Patrick DUNN of North Richmond. Before the year was out they became grandparents when Maria's daughter, Elizabeth Letitia, was born on 1 October. During the 1840's Rachel and John continued to add to their family. Another daughter, Rebecca, was born at Kurrajong on 30 June 1844 and was later baptised at the Roman Catholic Church at Windsor. She was followed in 1846 by a third son, Stephen, who was also born at Kurrajong. John added to his farming activities by the purchase on 5 April 1851 of 30 acres of land at Kurrajong from Francis BEDDEK. On 7 March 1852, nearly six years after the birth of son Stephen, Rachel gave birth to her tenth and last child. She was 44 years old. The new baby, her seventh daughter, was named Susannah and was baptised on 28 July that year at the Roman Catholic Church at Kurrajong. Throughout the 1850's John persevered with his farming activities on his land at Kurrajong. In 1853 he turned fifty. In 1854 there were two mare weddings in the family. On 26 May eldest son, Michael John, at the age of 21, married Jane COLBRAN, a young English lass who lived on a nearby farm at Kurrajong. The young couple soon settled on a farm of their own in the same district. Six months later, on 2 November 1854, Michael's sister Elizabeth, age 20 years, married Cornelius McMAHON, son of another Kurrajong family. They also settled at Kurrajong and there raised a large family. During the winter of 1855, fifteen year-old daughter Rachel married John COLBRAN, a brother of her sister-in-law Jane. By the end of the decade there were ten Norris grand-children. In the winter of 1860 Rachel's mother died at the venerable age of nearly ninety. Her funeral at St Matthew's Church at Windsor, saw the gathering of numerous relatives and friends who had come to pay their respects for one who had been amongst the pioneer settlers in the Valley, and whom most had known for all of their lives. It was an occasion that Rachel would have remembered vividly in the years that followed. Two more family weddings were celebrated within the next two years. On 30 October 1861, Rachel and John's second son, Thomas, age 24 years, was married at North Richmond to Catherine LONDON, seventeen year-old daughter of a neighbouring farmer, William LONDON and his wife, Dinah (nee RILEY). Seven months later, on 27 May 1862, twenty year-old Ann, the fifth NORRIS daughter, was married to Henry GREEN, a twenty-four year-old farmer who had been born in the Richmond district. In November 1862 Rachel's sister Charlotte died. It was the first death amongst her siblings and undoubtedly Rachel felt the loss deeply. As they had both lived within a few miles of Richmond, the sisters had seen a great deal of each other over the years, ever since Rachel had returned from Tasmania and had moved to the farm at Kurrajong. On 26 January 1863 there was another bereavement in the family when John's elderly mother, Mary NORRIS, died after two decades of widowhood. Mary had retained ownership of the old family farm at Cornwallis which had been granted originally to Jane EZZY. In her will, she bequeathed it to her son John. He and Rachel continued to live at Kurrajong and worked their farm there. Whether John leased the Cornwallis farm or endeavoured to run it as well, is not known. He had had possession of it for less than two years when tragedy struck again, suddenly and unexpectedly. John was proceeding along the road at nearby Sally's Bottom, when he fell from his loaded cart and was crushed as a wheel passed over him. He died instantly. Rachel and her family were thrown into a state of grief as news of the accident spread throughout the community. John had reached the age of 61, but could have enjoyed many more years to see his grandchildren increasing in number and growing to adulthood. Widowhood had been thrust upon Rachel at the age of 56. A large crowd of relatives and friends gathered at St Matthew's, Roman Catholic Church at Windsor a day or two later to pay their last respects as John's body was laid to rest. Rachel inherited the family farm at Kurrajong. The Cornwallis farm, which John had inherited only the previous year, was sold for 65 and the proceeds shared amongst Rachel and her children. Further sadness followed for Rachel, when her eldest sister, Ann SHARP, died on 7 April 1865. Rachel was from then on the only EATHER daughter still living. The 1860's saw the beginning of an exodus of some of the NORRIS children from the Hawkesbury district to the western plains beyond the Blue Mountains. The first to go may have been Rachel's sixth daughter Rebecca. Early in 1865 at the age of 20, Rebecca was married at North Richmond to John COOK, the son of Isaac Cook, who had lived for many years in the Hawkesbury district. Within a few months of their marriage, Rebecca and John packed their family possessions and their farm equipment and proceeded over the ranges to the district of Spring Creek near the town of Orange. There they made their home on 120 acres of land that John had purchased, and began farming. Other members of Rachel's family soon followed and eventually Rachel decided to follow them. Just when she left her Kurrajong home for the last time has not been determined, but she spent her final years in the Orange district and died at Spring Creek on 3 August 1875 age 67 years. All of her children, with the exception of the eldest two of her daughters, survived her. Nearly fifty grandchildren had been born by then, and many more were added to the total in the years that followed.
Son of James Eather (1811-1899)and Mary Ann Hand (1815-1899)
John was born in Richmond 25 December 1837 and in 1874 at Narrabri, married Ellen Mary Spencer b:1853 in Surrey, England. She arrived with her parents Richard and Eliza Spencer on the ship 'Dorigo', 13 April 1860.
They had 12 children. 9 boys and 3 girls.
Until 1899, John Eather owned the Mountain View, a property of some 1100 acres situated 2 1/2 miles from Narrabri, where during the 1880s he conducted the Mountain View Hotel.
On selling the property, he moved his family to the Inverell district where his activities during the first years of the new century included farming and keeping the Royal Hotel at Bundarra.
Several of his sons remained in Inverell where they made their name a well established one in the business life of the town.
John Rowland EATHER, the twelfth child and youngest son of Thomas EATHER 1800-1886 and Sarah, nee McALPIN, was born at Richmond on 14 November 1843. He was baptised at St Peter's Church on 10 December 1843 and his name was recorded in the baptism register of the Church as John Rowling. His father was at that time a publican in Richmond.
In his adult life John tended to dispense with the "w" in his name and most written records show his name as John Roland. He spent his early years with his numerous brothers and sisters at Richmond, where his parents resided in the "Union Inn" in Windsor Street. His father had a farm near the town, which he ran as one of his business activities, and John learned the skills of riding horses and attending to farm chores at an early age.
By 1868, when he was 25, he had left the Hawkesbury district and had joined his elder brothers Charles. Peter, William and James on the family station "Henriendi" on the Namoi River on the Liverpool Plains.
Little is known of John Rowland EATHER's life over the next decade or so. Presumably he worked on "Henriendi" and other stations in the north-west and may have done some droving. By the early 1880's he was working in the Goodooga district some thirty kilometres or so south of the Queensland border and north-east of Bourke. Goodooga was then a tiny township on the Bokhara River, which winds it way down from Queensland to join the Barwon River about fifteen kilometres west of Brewarrina. Somewhere in the Goodooga district John Roland EATHER was married on 29 June 1882 to Hannah Annie CROTHERS. Apparently the nearest Church to Goodooga at that time was at Brewarrina, a township on the Barwon River about 95 kilometres to the south. The record of the wedding is in the register of the Brewarrina Church of England. It states that the wedding was held in the home of the bride's parents. John Rowland EATHER was age 38 years and Hannah Annie CROTHERS age 23 years had been born at Maitland, the daughter of Henry CROTHERS and Jane IRWIN
When the birth of their first child was registered in 1884, John Rowland EATHER was a shopkeeper in the tiny town of Goodooga. This occupation didn't last for very long, as their second child Rowland was baptised at Brewarrina in 1885 and by then John was a grazier residing at "Estherville." When his fourth child was born in January 1888 at "Barlowbie," Goodooga, John was a storekeeper again, but in 1889 when his fifth child Colin Roscoe was christened at Brewarrina, he was a selector on a property in the Goodooga district. In these Church records at Brewarrina his second forename was recorded with the "w".
At some time during his life a family heirloom was passed down to John Rowland EATHER. It was a book, "The Life of Christ", which had been given to his father in 1824 when he married Sarah McALPIN. The book bore the signature of the Reverend SELKIN, who officiated at his parents' wedding. This book was later passed down to John and Hannah's son William Irwin EATHER.
In all John Rowland EATHER and Hannah Annie EATHER had ten children, of whom three died in infancy.
The children of John and Hanna were:-
Bessie Hilton Eather 1884 1965 m. Winsleigh Alexander MURRAY 1885-1917 ANZAC killed in action
Roland C Eather 1885 1885
Jeanie Irwin Eather 1886 1954 m. Samuel Lawrence GOLDMAN 1878-1974
Richmond Cornwallis Eather 1888 1966 ANZAC m. Mary Jane McFarlane LONGMORE 1905-1974
Colin Roscoe Eather 1889 1936 m. May RENNIE 1879-1944
McAlpine Eather 1890 1966 ANZAC m. Mary Janetta De Evelyn
Hutchinson Eather 1892 1892
Kate Eather 1893 1970 Never married
William Irwin Eather 1897 1981 m. 1.Nita Marion CAMPBELL 2. Doris??unknown
Kenneth S Eather 1900 ?? unknown
Following the death of his father in 1886, John Rowland EATHER inherited his father's farm near Richmond; a portion of a house that his father owned in Francis Street, Richmond (his brother Peter EATHER 1831-1911 was to receive the other portion; and half of the residue of his father's personal estate which at the probate was sworn as being under 390 ($780).
John Roland EATHER died in the District Hospital at Tamworth on 15 January 1923 at the age of 79 years.
Eather family Newsletter
Eather Family History Group
John 'Jack' Simpson KIRKPATRICK was born at South Shields, Durham, England on the 6 July 1892. He was the son of Robert KIRKPATRICK born 26 Nov. 1837 in South Leith Scotland and his wife Sarah SIMPSON born 14 September 1885 in Glasgow. As a child during his summer holidays he worked as a donkey-lad on the sands of South Shields.
After his father died on the 10 October 1909, Jack took on the role of bread winner for the family.
In 1910 he joined the crew of the SS Yeddo as a fireman and sailed for Newcastle, New South Wales, always sending money back home to his mother. (His mother passed away on the 9 March 1933 at South Shields).
On the 30 May 1910, When the Yeddo arrived in Newcastle, Jack deserted and for the next few years he worked a lot of different jobs. He tried coal mining in Newcastle, went cane cutting up in Queensland and drove cattle on the Liverpool Plains.
Sometime around the end of 1913 Jack joined the crew of the SS Yankalilla which was headed to Western Australia with a shipload of coal from Newcastle. Once it docked in Fremantle, on the 3 January 1914, Jack again took off. He managed to pick up plenty of odd jobs around the place.
On the 25 August 1914 at Blackboy Hill, 35 ks east of Perth in Western Australia Jack enlisted as John SIMPSON a ship's fireman, dropping the surname KIRKPATRICK, thinking they may not take too kindly to a merchant navy deserter and quite possibly would arrest him. He gave his mother as next of kin, calling her Sarah SIMPSON of 141 Bertram St, South Shields, Durham.
Jack was chosen as a stretcher bearer with the 3rd. Field Ambulance. This job was only given to strong men so it seems that his work as a fireman in the Merchant Navy had prepared him well for his exceptional place in history.
The strong, fair haired John SIMPSON became Australias most famous, and best-loved military hero without ever having to fire a shot.
On the 25th April 1915, he, along with the rest of the Australian and New Zealand contingent landed at the wrong beach on a piece of wild, impossible and savage terrain now known as Anzac Cove.
[Out of the 1500 men who landed in the first wave, only 755 remained in active service at the end of the day. The sheer number of casualties necessitated that stretcher bearing parties be reduced in the size from 6 to 2. Simpson then decided that he could operate better by acting alone. He spied a deserted donkey in the wild overgrown gullies and decided to use it to help carry a wounded man to the beach. From that time on, he and his donkey acted as an independent team. Instead of reporting to his unit, Simpson camped with the 21st Kohat Indian Mountain Artillery Battery - which had many mules and nicknamed Simpson "Bahadur" - the "bravest of the brave".]
From that day on Jack became a part of the scene at Gallipoli walking along next to his donkey, forever singing and whistling as he held on to his wounded passengers, seemingly completely fatalistic and scornful of the extreme danger.
He led a charmed life from 25th April 1915 until he was hit by a machine gun bullet in his back on 19th May 1915.
In just 24 days Jack rescued over 300 men down the notorious Shrapnel and Monash Valley. His prodigious, heroic feat was accomplished under constant and ferocious attack from artillery, field guns and sniper fire.
Quoted from some of his officers:
"Almost every digger knew about him. The question was often asked: "Has the bloke with the donk stopped one yet?"
"he was the most respected and admired of all the heroes at Anzac."
Captain C. Longmore, in 1933, remembered how the soldiers "watched him spellbound from the trenches... it was one of the most inspiring sights of those early Gallipoli days."
Colonel John Monash wrote "Private Simpson and his little beast earned the admiration of everyone at the upper end of the valley. They worked all day and night throughout the whole period since the landing, and the help rendered to the wounded was invaluable. Simpson knew no fear and moved unconcernedly amid shrapnel and rifle fire, steadily carrying out his self imposed task day by day, and he frequently earned the applause of the personnel for his many fearless rescues of wounded men from areas subject to rifle and shrapnel fire."
Every year on April the 25th, Australians and New Zealanders remember our ANZACS. A promise made in 1915 which we have passed on down to our children. And The Band Plays Waltzing Matilda as we reflect on the tragedy of war.
Not Only A Hero adapted from the book by Tom Curran is an illustrated life of Simpson, the Man with the Donkey, part of the Spirit of Anzac website.
The inscription on John SIMPSON's grave reads;
KIRKPATRICK SERVED AS
AUST. ARMY MEDICAL CORPS,
19TH MAY 1915 AGE 22
HE GAVE HIS LIFE
THAT OTHERS MAY LIVE.
LEST WE FORGET
John Thomas, the youngest child of John William EATHER 1845-191 and Harriet nee CLARK 1849-1928, was born on 3 October 1891.
At the age of 25 and still unmarried he enlisted in the Australian Army on 17 October 1916, approximately a year after his brother Ivo mack had enlisted. He was posted to the same Battalion as his brother, the 35th, and went overseas amongst reinforcements. He saw Ivo in England while he was convalescing after having been wounded at Villers-Bretonneux. Back in Australia in 1919 after having been discharged from the Army, he returned to life on the land.
On Sunday the 13th June 1920 John was in the paddock at Bulga threshing lucerne seed, when the drive belt on the machine snapped.
John put his arm in the air to ward off the whip of the belt and fell into the thresher. His cries brought nearby workers to a most horrific scene, but nothing could be done to save John.