janilye on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Thomas Eather 1800-1886
Added by janilye on 21 Aug 2009
MY 3RD GREAT GRANDFATHER
They came of bold and roving stock that would not fixed abide;
They were the sons of field and flock since e'er they learnt to ride,
We may not hope to see such men in these degenerate years
As those explorers of the bush -- the brave old pioneers.
'Twas they who rode the trackless bush in heat and storm and drought;
'Twas they who heard the master-word that called them farther out;
'Twas they who followed up the trail the mountain cattle made,
And pressed across the mighty range where now their bones are laid.
But now the times are dull and slow, the brave old days are dead
When hardy bushmen started out, and forced their way ahead
By tangled scrub and forests grim towards the unknown west,
And spied the far-off promised land from off the range's crest.
Oh! ye that sleep in lonely graves by far-off ridge and plain,
We drink to you in silence now as Christmas comes again,
To you who fought the wilderness through rough unsettled years --
The founders of our nation's life, the brave old pioneers.
The history of Thomas Eather contrasts dramatically with the failures and sadness associated with the family of his twin brother Charles.
Taught the trade of shoemaker, he was able by the age of 20 to divert his interests to farming whilst continuing to employ several men in his shoemaking establishment at Richmond. In the tight confines of the Hawkesbury valley there was no room for pastoral expansion, so, in 1826 Thomas made his first venture across the rugged mountain ranges seperating Hawkesbury from the hunter, taking with him his young wife Sarah, nee MCALPIN and their 2yr. old son Thomas.
In company with Sarah's brother William Glas MCALPIN, some aboriginals and a stockman named Billy Freeman, the pioneers set out over the mountains, with two pack bullocks and another bullock on which Sally (as she was called) rode with young Tommy on her lap. There was a distance of 100 miles to tramp through the trackless mountains, guided only by the marked trees, blazed a short time before. The aboriginals knew the route and they arrived safely at the foot of the Bulga Plateau where on Cockfighter's Creek (a reach of the Wollombi Brook), they made camp and lived for a short time. Sarah (Sally) EATHER was the first white woman to cross the mountains from Hawkesbury to Bulga.
The name of the Eather property there is called 'Meerea' an aboriginal word meaning Beautiful Mountain.
Before survey and location of lands in the Bulga region there was no possibility of obtaining title, even though many pioneers used Crown Lands as pasturage. On the creek, Thomas EATHER managed to obtain a "clearing lease" where in November 1829, he was living with his wife and four children (Elizabeth, Charles and Annie had now joined young Tommy) and four free servants.
A gauge of his enterprise is given by the fact that in addition to the shoemaking business at Richmond, he had then 20 acres clear of which 10 were fenced and planted with corn and was also running 150 head of cattle and two brood mares far away to the north at 'Muggarie' on Liverpool Plains.
Towards the end of 1829, Thomas EATHER established residence on a farm near that of his brother- in- law Joseph ONUS, at Wollombi where he built two residences and made other improvements before it was discovered that all the occupants of land in the vicinity were on the wrong blocks. Meanwhile he had leased the mistaken farm to a tenant and moved back to Richmond, so that when the error in locating the Wollombi farms became an issue in 1833 there were only two owners ( Thomas TAILBY and George EATON) living on their farms. When the confusion was straightened out EATHER was given title to his Wollombi land, but he had made his headquarters in Richmond. Nevertheless, his interests did not narrow and he extended to the west as well as the north. In 1840 he subscribed 5pound to the building of the road from Windsor to Mt. Tomah. He died at Richmond on the 19 November 1886, surviving his wife by two years.
The earliest official record of the Liverpool Plains squattage mentioned by Thomas EATHER in 1829 does not occur until ten years later when it's name was given as "Muggarie".
From the book "A Million Wild Acres"
[Thomas Eather from 'Henriendi' went beyond them all, an extraordinary move to Muggarie on the Narran River near present day Angledool, over a 100 kilometres north-west of the junction of the Namoi and Barwon. The station was so remote that even when it was described nine years later for the 1848 Government Gazette there were no neighbours. In 1847 three of Thomas Eather's nephews, Abraham, Thomas and James, were working at the station. Abraham, one of his brothers and two other young men left to bring up more cattle. By the time they got back with the mob, probably a couple of months later, the water holes had dried up. John GRIFFITHS, an orphan reared with the family, died of thirst. The others abandoned the cattle and barely got through. Aborigines found them and helped them in]
In 1849, Muggarie totalling 32,000 acres, on Narran Creek, was occupied by Robert EATHER 1795-1881 while Thomas's holding, measuring 15 square miles, was "Henryandie". According to family tradition, the original name was "Ing-in-ing-in-ing-indi" but it finally settled into "Henriendi" and as the boundaries were gradually determined it was located on the Namoi River, six miles east of Baan Baa.
Thomas EATHER and Sarah McALPIN 1805-1884 were married on the 24 August 1824 at St.Matthews Church of England. They had 13 children;
Thomas EATHER 1824 1909
Elizabeth EATHER 1825 1884
Charles EATHER 1827 1891
Ann EATHER 1829 1918
Peter EATHER 1831 1911
William EATHER 1832 1915
Sarah EATHER 1834 1926
Charlotte EATHER 1836 1888
Robert EATHER 1838 1838
James EATHER 1839 1934
Susannah EATHER 1842 1848 Susannah and her little friends were playing in a pound paddock next door to the house, when one of the children set fire to some long grass. Susannah's dress caught fire in the flames. She died 2 days later as the result of her severe burns
John Rowland EATHER 1843 1923
Catherine EATHER 1846 1928
Thomas Eather's second son, Charles who was born at Bulga on 25 October 1827, was sent to Henriendi in 1841 and twenty years later was given the station by his father. In 1866, in addition to Henriendi(which had then an area of 16,000 acres and was grazing 1,000 head of cattle). he controlled four Warrego squatting stations- Back Ballinbillian, Gumanaldy, Back Moongoonoola and Pinegobla- with a total area of 82,000 acres and a total carrying capacity of 16,000 sheep.
The frequent trips between the Muggarie and Wollombi took two months by spring carts, braving the dangers of the terrain and the threat of surprise by bushrangers.
Frederick Wordsworth WARD 1836-1870 aka Captain Thunderbolt (his sister Amelia was married to Thomas's twin, Charles EATHER 1800-1891 stepson James GOUGH), who terrorised the New England district and the north-west of New South Wales between 1863 and 1870, was a frequent visitor to "Henriendi".
" He always said he'd not molest the Eather's", recalled a daughter of the family many years later, "but he wasn't above stealing a good piece of horseflesh when he saw it".
Excerpt from Aunt Liz's Jottings:
Bulga's original discovery dates with the discovery of St Patrick's Plains by John Howe's party of explorers in March 1820, being the first place reached on leaving the mountains. The explorers, Howe, Singleton and Thorley, descended from a spur in Welsh's Inlet, on the Milbrodale Estate, formerly owned by Mr Len Dodds. Its first pioneers, of which there is an authentic record, were Thomas Eather and William Glas McAlpin, who came to Bulga In 1826, accompanied by aboriginal guides. The journey was made on foot from Richmond, through Colo, Putty and Howe's Valley, leading a bullock used as a pack animal. In some places the track was so steep, that the bullock had to be relieved of his burden, and the packs man-handled down. One night the bullock decided to dissolve his partnership with the men, and ran away. Young William Glas McAlpin said to Mr Thomas Eather, "What ever will we do now?" and Mr Eather replied, "Carry the packs on our backs." This they did all that day, but by nightfall the bullock had become lonely, and changing his mind, caught up with the men. Were they glad to see his old face again! After looking at the possibilities at Bulga, they retraced their steps to Richmond. In the same year, 1826, they returned; Thomas Eather bringing his wife, who was formerly Sarah McAlpin (she was known as "Sally"), a sister of young William Glas McAlpin. At this time horses were extremely scarce and expensive, so Sally rode a bullock led by her husband who was on foot, and holding her 18 month old son, Thomas Eather (the third), in front of her. William Glas McAlpin and Billy Freeman led the pack bullocks, and with some aborigines and dogs, the procession started on the 100 mile tramp through the trackless mountains. Marked trees were the only guide they had, but the black fellows knew the way and where to find water. At last they arrived at the foot of the mountain at Bulga, where they made camp for some time near the creek before erecting a dwelling where "Richmond" stands today. Mr Thomas Eather II had acquired a grant of land from the Crown. From Eather Family Newsletter September 1998
No 142 Editor Mildred Reynolds.
Excerpt from the Eather Family Newsletter September 1997 :- On the 26 June 1834, Thomas Eather Junior took out a license for the "Union Inn" in Windsor Street, Richmond, located in premises owned and built for his sister Ann's husband, Joseph Onus. The public house was situated on land bought from Edward Powell and was one house removed from the home of Thomas' brother-in-law, William Glas McAlpin. In 1835, Joseph Onus died and the two storey brick building housing the "Union Inn" passed into the hands of Thomas Onus, who in 1842 married Elizabeth, the daughter of Thomas Eather Junior. Nearly two years after Joseph Onus' death, his widow Ann, nee Eather, married William Sharp/Sharpe. Hence, on later maps of Richmond the land acquired by Joseph Onus from Edward Powell, appears in the name of Ann/Anne Sharpe. On 10 January 1837, Thomas Eather Junior and William Price were granted a small town allotment in Richmond, consisting of one acre, three roods, and thirty nine perches in West Market and Windsor Streets. Whereas, Thomas occupied the corner section of the grant and held land in both streets, William Price owned a portion of the town allotment fronting Windsor Street. Thomas Junior's daughters were "fine looking women" and the three young women portrayed on the sign of the "Union Inn" were said to strongly resemble Thomas' three eldest daughters, Elizabeth, (Mrs Thomas Onus/Mrs Joseph Rutter) Annie, (Mrs Edwin Young) and Sarah (Mrs William Eaton). These three girls were said to be beautiful although their beauty was not that - "of fair skin and, yellow hair, but the beauty of bright eyes, fine features and good style." Said to be - "a man of very quiet habits who would not allow anyone to impose on him," Thomas managed his hotel, "in a manner beyond reproach."
For more details Please ask.janilye
Below is a photograph of 'Meerea' taken after restoration
Thomas, eldest son of Robert EATHER 1795-1881 and Mary nee Lynch 1802-1853, was married to Susannah Merrick at Kurrajong on the 26th August 1844 by Father R. J. Dunne, Susannah was the daughter of Edward MERRICK 1763-1839 and Mary Elizabeth Russell 1765-1840. She had been born on 7 January 1812 at North Richmond, NSW. Susannah had been in a relationship with William WATERFORD 1800-1876 and to him had a son John Merrick WATERFORD 1831-1917
After Thomas and Susannah married, Thomas set up in business at Windsor as a wheelwright, with farming as a profitable sideline.
Poor business acumen cost him dearly in the late 1850's when a series of miscalculations conspired to ruin him. In the one year, 1859, he unwisely spent 150pounds on enlarging his home (at the corner of George and New Streets, Windsor, rented from Abraham Cornwell, lost 200pounds out of renting a farm at Richmond Bottoms, and sacrificed another 100pounds in employing some men to cut timber for him. As his financial affairs plunged, he endeavoured to effect a recovery by transferring the lease of the Richmond Bottoms farm to his brother, James, who also bought his horse team.
By August 1862 he was reduced to working as a drayman for his son-in-law Thomas PRYKE 1835-1922, driving on the Southern Road for 1pound 5 shillings per week.
Later he went west of the Blue Mountains to Orange, still working as a carrier, and there he was accidently crushed to death by a wagon on 25 June 1874.
Susannah died at Bathurst on the 16 October 1894
The children of Thomas and Susannah EATHER were:-
Mary Elizabeth EATHER 18411917 m. John Thomas PRYKE in 1859
Susannah EATHER 18451921 m.Peter KEARNS in 1871
Caroline Margaret EATHER 18471915
Thomas Joseph EATHER 18491935 m. Mary Jane Fishbourne 1851-1932 in 1874
Thomas EATHER born on the 27 September 1824 the son of Thomas EATHER 1800-1886 and Sarah, nee MCALPIN 1805-1884 married Eliza CROWLEY 1822-1897 on the 25 July 1843 at St.Peter's Church of England, Richmond, New South Wales.
Following their wedding, Thomas and Eliza took up residence in the house in West Market Street, Richmond next door to the "Union Inn" where Thomas's parents were residing. There they conducted business as a butcher and baker. Their first child, a son whom they named John William, was born at Richmond on 8 March 1845, but by the time their second child was born in June 1847, they had left the Hawkesbury district and had taken up residence on the farm over the range at Bulga where Thomas had lived when a small boy. He had been given the farm by his father and took over the management from the overseer who had been in charge there.
When his parents had come to Bulga in 1826, the flats along the creek had been open forest country with large eucalypts and very little undergrowth, and therefore attractive grazing land The stream had been known as Cockfighter Creek then, but that name had given way to the aboriginal name - the Wollombi. The district had become known as Bulga, the aboriginal name for a mountain ridge just to the west. The Wollombi Valley had been and still was the territory of the Geawe-gal clan of aborigines. Their territory extended to the junction of the Wollombi Brook and the Hunter River, where it adjoined the most southerly of the Kamilaroi clans. Not much is known of how the Geawee-gal had reacted to the intrusion of the white men into their territory in the 1820's. It had been quite a populous clan then, and though depleted somewhat during the following twenty years, was still able to hold large bora ceremonies from time to time.
In 1848, not long after Thomas and Eliza had settled on their farm at Bulga, a family named CLARK arrived in the district and settled on the farm opposite them across the creek. It was part of the 1,500 acres that Joseph ONUS had purchased in 1825 and lay on the opposite side of the creek from the rest of his purchase. It had been inherited by Joseph ONUS Jnr and he had agreed to lease it to the CLARK's. Mrs CLARK promptly named it "Willow Farm", a name which it retained indefinitely. James Swales CLARK had been born in Yorkshire and his wife Elizabeth, nee McDONALD at Dalkeith in Scotland. They had married at Largs in Scotland in 1835 and had arrived in Sydney as immigrants in January 1843 with three young children. They had spent a while at "Glendon" on the Hunter River, getting experience in farming in New South Wales, and had then started farming at a place called Black Creek. It had been while James CLARK had been out looking for grass for his cattle during drought times, that he had first seen Bulga and found more grass there than anywhere else. By then two more children had been born to them. Over the years that followed Thomas and Eliza became very close friends with James and Elizabeth CLARK and their children grew up as fellow schoolmates at the local school. The farm of 100 acres on the western bank of Wollombi Brook remained the residence of Thomas and Eliza for the remainder of their lives. It was given the aboriginal name "Meerea", said to mean "Beautiful Mountain". The name has been retained down the years and was in use as recently as 1995. The Bulga community had increased in number over the years as more farms had been settled. Most of the folk living there were assigned convicts or ticket-of-leave men employed on the farms. Some of them had wives. The town of Singleton had sprung into being not many miles away. An increasing number of the local residents were cousins of Thomas. Important amongst them were Mary Ann and John EATON, who had been there since 1831, and Thomas's aunt and uncle, Susannah and William Glas McALPIN. Life was not as remote as it had been when Thomas's parents had lived there fifteen years before. Singleton offered services which had not been available a decade before. There was even a resident doctor there. Another five children were born to Eliza and Thomas during their first fifteen years on the farm, and all were born at Bulga. Unfortunately, three of them died in infancy. At "Meerea" Thomas grazed cattle and grew various vegetable and grain crops, and as was the custom on most of the farms, he developed an orchard. When the children became of school age they were able to receive formal education at a small school that John Eaton had established on his farm for Mr WAGSTAFF whom he employed to teach his and his neighbours' children. Eventually, when the little Church of England Church had been built, it was used as the school house. Mr WAGSTAFF was quite an identity in the district. He had been a London Bank Manager until drink had become his downfall. He had come to Australia to be away from his temptations if he could and was at home in the farming district. He used to board in turn about amongst the farmers in the neighbourhood, and those with children attending his school paid him what they could and did not charge him for his lodgings. Therefore he changed his lodgings every week or so. He was a true type of old English gentleman of the day, and always wore a black silk top-hat and a fine black cloth swallow-tail suit. He was kind and gentle to all and lived a reserved and quiet life. He owned a few good horses and loved hunting, probably because it reminded him of his younger days when he had ridden with the hounds. He taught little more than the three 'rs', but what he taught he taught thoroughly and many of his pupils became fine readers and writers. In 1850 Thomas and Eliza lost the EATON's as neighbours, when they left the district permanently and moved to the "Roseberry" cattle station which John had established on the Richmond River. William Glas McALPIN (known generally as Billy Mack) leased the EATON farm and the little school continued to operate. Mr WAGSTAFF often boarded with them. Gradually William McALPIN increased his landholdings by buying adjoining land from Thomas ONUS. It was not an unusual sight to see parties of aborigines moving along the creek during their daily hunting and gathering. Sometimes they fished in the waterholes and sometimes they camped temporarily nearby. In the district was one of their large bora rings where ceremonies were held from time to time. The year 1852 saw a great influx of visitors to the Bulga district. Over 500 aborigines from tribes far and near gathered at the local bora ring on the McALPIN farm for an initiation ceremony. Aboriginal bora ceremonies transcended tribal boundaries. When they were held every few years, tribes from over a wide area were invited to attend and kippas from all of them were initiated at each ceremony. The tribes took turn at holding the ceremonies, so it was only occasionally that any one bora ring was the site of the gathering. Tribes from as far away as Mudgee attended the ceremony at Bulga that year and it was well remembered by the white folk as it was the last great initiation held there. Needless to say, the white people and the aboriginal womenfolk were not allowed to witness all the rites that were involved in the ceremony. Nevertheless the local farmers were interested in seeing so many visitors gathered together and the event remained a vivid memory in the years that followed.
The children of Thomas EATHER and Eliza nee CROWLEY were:-
John William EATHER 1845 1915 m. Harriet CLARK 1849-1928
Mary Jane EATHER 1847 1847
Peter M EATHER 1849 1851
Jane Charlotte EATHER 1851 1897 m. Samuel PARTRIDGE 1850-1928
Alexander George EATHER 1859 1859
Sarah Elizabeth EATHER 1861 1923 m. Ashton CLARK 1844-1925
The eldest son of James EATHER 1811-1899 and Mary Ann HAND 1815-1894.
Thomas was born in Richmond, New South Wales on the 17 January 1836.
Thomas married Charlotte Margaret HOWELL on the 22 November 1860 at Parramatta. Charlotte was born in Richmond, New South Wales on the 3 October 1842, the daughter of Thomas HOWELL 1809-1876 and Elizabeth CROWLEY 1815-1891.
The children of Thomas and Charlotte were:-
1. Emily Ann Eather 18621944 m. James Cousins DUNCAN 1856-1909 at
Baan Baa, New South Wales, on 5 April 1882.
2. Albert Eather 18631949 m.Harriett PRATT 1869-1937 at
Narrabri, New South Wales in 1886.
3. Laura Lavinia Eather 18641950 m. William Francis BOYLE 1860-1928 at Narrabri, New South Wales, in 1885.
4. Thomas Charles Eather 18661943 m. Hannah Mary McGINNITY 1871-1929 at Narrabri, New South Wales,in 1890.
5. Jane Charlotte Eather 18681954 m. John Reading 1863-1936 at
Narrabri, New South Wales, in 1889.
6. James Vincent Eather 1870 1870
7. Celia Eather 1871 1871
8. Julia Eather 1871 1872
9. James Hilton Eather 18731950 m. Ada Amelia NELSON 1866-1944 at
Boggabri, New South Wales, in 1893.
10. Arthur Howell Eather 1874 1900
11. Sydney Eather 18761960 m. Susannah Anastasia BENNETT 1879-1931 at Boggabri, New South Wales, in 1906.
12. Alexander Eather 1878 1942 m. Linda Pearle BRACKENREG 1881-1965 at Boggabri, New South Wales,in 1905.
13. Edith May Eather 18791952 m.James Robert NELSON 1868-1950 at
Boggabri, New South Wales,in 1899.
14. Julia Eliza Eather 18801955 m. Leopold GUEST 1869-1932 at
Boggabri, New South Wales, in 1899.
15. Eva Elizabeth Mary Eather 18841919 m. Sidney A EATHER 1889-1944 at Sydney, New South Wales,in 1911.
Thomas Eather born 3 December 1843 at Cockfighters Creek on the Hawkesbury was the son of Mary Hedges alias DONOVAN 1807-1880 the widow of Samuel HEATHER/EATHER.
He first married Jane BARNETT the daughter of Thomas BARNETT b:1820 and Catherine DENAHY b:1824 in Mallow,County Cork, Ireland. d:16 August 1918 Mudgee,NSW.
Jane Barnett was born on the 6 October 1845 at Cassilis, NSW and died on the 29 October 1932 at Whittingham near Singleton.
Jane was a nurse/midwife who had trained under Dr.BOWMAN at Fairholme.
Thomas and Jane were married on 26 July 1865 at Warkworth and had 12 children.
1.Catherine EATHER b:15 October 1864 at Patricks Plain and sadly died of burns when her clothes caught fire on 2 August 1867
2.Thomas EATHER b:4 March 1866 died 1929 Married Selina Jane SCANLAN (1864-1950) at Narrandera in 1888
3.Isabella EATHER b:3 January 1871 d: 1947 Annandale. Isabella married John J SCOTT in 1895.
4.Charles Herbert EATHER b:28 March 1872 d:28 March 1942 at Moree Charles married Minnie BEITZ (1889-1941)in Queensland on 11 October 1905.
5.Clara Jane EATHER b: 1 November 1872 d:1957 at Burwood in Sydney
6.Walter John EATHER b: 19 April 1875 d:23 January 1876
7.William Henry EATHER b:22 March 1876 d:11 June 1947 at Pallamalla William married Mildred QUINN (1883-1966) at Moree in 1903
8.Ada Mary EATHER b:12 December 1877 d:1935 at North Sydney.
9.Emily Ann EATHER b:25 June 1879 d:25 January 1959 Emily married Henry ASQUITH
10.Elizabeth Catherine EATHER b:13 November 1880 at Goorangoola d:7 February 1936 at Leichhardt Elizabeth married Arthur Edward BRUCE b:1880. on 6 March 1905 at Singleton
11.James Ernest Eather b:30 March 1882 d:14 September at Mayfield near Newcastle NSW James Married Mabel May ALLEN 1880-1954 at Singleton in 1905.
12.Percy Richard EATHER b:15 August 1883 d:3 February 1957. Percy first married Anne Paterson ANDREW 1884-1906 at Singleton on 12 July 1904. Ann died in childbirth. His second wife was Madeline Sarah BALDOCK 1881-1948 in 1907 'Percy' was a very well known taxi driver in Singleton for many years.
Thomas EATHER 1843-1900 committed suicide in Sydney he is buried at Whittingham Cemetery, Section 1 Plot 25.
Thomas Frederick TUDOR was born in Newcastle, New South Wales in 1870. He was one of thirteen children born to Thomas TUDOR an immigrant born Staffordshire, England in 1829 and his wife Ellen nee WILLIAMSON born 1834 in Fifeshire, Scotland.
In 1898, 18 year old Thomas Frederick had a son to miss Emma May Ashton, She named the baby Albert Cyril ASHTON and Thomas Frederick paid his 5 shillings a week support for the infant.
Emma and the baby lived with her parents and Thomas made the occassional visit.
One evening Thomas arrived at Emma's house at Catherine Hill Bay and he, Emma and the then 9 month old Albert walked down to the boathouse to spend some time together. They laid the baby down on the floor of the boathouse where according to his mother the child fell asleep on a blanket. After about half an hour they headed back to the house it was dark and the baby began coughing and crying. Thomas lit a match to see what was wrong with the infant and they both noticed the baby's face was green.
Emma took the child inside the house and Thomas went home. The child became worse and Emma woke her mother. The mother gave the baby butter as an emetic but the child continued to cry and was obviously in pain. They sent for the doctor but by the time he arrived the next morning the child was dead.
The doctor performed an autopsy and declared the baby had been poisoned with Paris Green. Paris green was a mixture of copper and arsenic which was used as a rat poison and it is also a pigment which was used in paint. Emma declared Thomas had poisoned her baby because he didn't want to pay child support.
An inquest was held and the jury declared the child died from wilful poisoning. Thomas was arrested and committed for trial. The newspapers all over Australia ran headlines declaring Thomas Frederick TUDOR charged with poisoning his illegitimate son.
Thomas's popular and well respected family were held up to ridicule.The trial was held at the Sydney Criminal Court on 14 June 1899 and the jury disagreed on the verdict, so the judge ordered a retrial.
The second trial was held at Maitland Circuit Court on 27 September 1899. Thomas pleaded his innocence and the jury returned a verdict of not guilty.
Although Thomas was free, there was still the matter of the baby being poisoned and the population was divided over the issue.
Today, of course we don't use Paris Green in our dyes or paints.
And fishermen no longer paint their boats and boathouse floors with it to keep the barnacles away.
The Children of Thomas Tudor and Ellen nee WILLIAMSON:-
Ellen Tudor 1855 1860
Mary Tudor 1856 1861
Thomas Tudor 1858 1860
Robert Henry Tudor 1860 1861
Ann Jane Tudor 1862 1864
George Henry Tudor 1864 1912
Adelaide Tudor 1866 1945
Blondon Tudor 1868
Thomas Frederick Tudor 1870 ????????
Robert Ernest Tudor 1872 1948
Albert Hamilton Tudor 1874 1877
Alice Felecia Tudor 1877 1939
Blanche Tudor 1880 1880
Thomas Lovelee was born in Campbelltown, New South Wales, the son of convict Richard LOBLEY/LOVELY/LOVELEE 1786-1847 and Elizabeth GREEN 1817-XXXX he lived in the Windsor district until 1864 when he met and married Margaret McNamara. Together, on horseback, they set out for the north west.
Very soon after their arrival, he settled down as an overseer on Mollee, then a cattle station, extending right through the Bohena Creek country in Pilliga.
After leaving Mollee, Thomas Lovelee devoted a number of years to various businesses in Narrabri and district and for some time bought fat cattle for The Riverstone Meatworks.
He selected Dunraven near Mollee which he retained until 1918 when he retired and went to Narrabri to live, handing the property over to his sons.
At the time when the Governor Brothers were operating in the district. Inspector Day, afterwards chief of police, was stationed in Narrabri, and knowing Thomas had a thorough knowlege of the Bohena Creek country, called on him to guide the police in their search for the outlaws. He consented to do so, but insisted on the right to remain unarmed.
Margaret MCNAMARA b:16th.Jan.1842 d: 21st. April 1904 Narrabri NSW. The daughter of Edward MCNAMARA and Margaret MCDONALD
Married in 1864 at Parramatta.
1. Theresa b:1865,Wee Waa,d:1898, Narrabri m.Alfred McAlpin EATHER
2. Martha Mary b:1867 Wee Waa NSW d:1937, Narrabri, NSW never married.
3. Laura b:1869 Wee Waa, d:12 September 1947, Mosman, Sydney m. Ernest Otto MORATH 1870-1946 in 1898 at Narrabri, NSW
4. Edward Thomas b:1871 Wee Waa, d:8 August 1951 Burwood, Sydney m. Christina Mary MCINTYRE 1873-1960 in 1900, Quirindi, nsw
5. Ernest Arthur b:1873 Wee Waa, d:8 June 1937 Narrabri, NSW
6. Herbert George b:1877 Wee Waa,d:1962 Manley, NSW m. Emma Elizabeth BLACKBURN 1884-1958 at Mosman in 1918
7. Stella Jessie b: 1879 Wee Waa,d:1973 St.Leonards,Sydney m. Philip Ardlaw LAWRENCE 1890-1959 at St.Leonards in 1915
8. Ella b: 1882 Wee Waa d:1957 in Queensland m. Egbert James KIMMORLEY 1889-1952 at Mosman in 1912
9. Clara Fanny b: 1884 Narrabri, d: 13 July 1951, Mosman. Never Married
Pictured below is the Wee Waa Racecourse
The son of George SPEARING 1835-1914 and Tabitha HARRIS 1829-1901.
Thomas Samuel was baptised on the 18 February 1860 at St James Norland,Kensington.
A carpenter by trade Thomas met Emily Louisa ROBERTS born in Kensington London on the 14 June 1859 and baptised at St Luke,Chelsea, London on the 17 July 1859.
Thomas and Emily were married at St James Norland,Kensington on the 18 May 1883.
The children of this marriage were:-
Edward Thomas Essen Spearing 1883 1896
George Alfred Spearing 1886, m. Elizabeth Ann BUTTERWORTH in 1906
Emily Annie Alice Spearing 1888, m. Albert William PAGE in 1915
John William Spearing 1889 1890
Harriet Edith Spearing 1891 1894
Alice Maud Spearing 1892 1894
Lilian Gladys Spearing 1900
Alfred SPEARING B: 1901, kensington, London. Baptised 6 October 1901 at All Saints Notting Hill
Titus RUSS was born in St.George, London on the 20 March 1841, the son of Absolom RUSS 1804-1861 and his wife Clementina 1814-1882 both from England and both died in Western Australia. Titus arrived in the colony in 1853 with his brother Absolom 1849-1927 from Tintinhull, Somerset. They moved to Dongara in the early 1860's to work for pastoralist Edward Hamersley.
On the 27 October 1864 at Greenough, Western Australia Titus married Caroline WINTLE. Caroline had been born in London on the 12 August 1844 and she too was a new arrival in the Colony.
Using a wheel barrow to cart stone from the quarry by the Irwin River, Titus built his house which still stands today and has been occupied by several generations Of the RUSS family.
The cottage today is owned by The Irwin District Historical Society.
Son Robert used the backyard for a market garden and sold the produce in his shop next door, where he also operated the newsagency.
The children of Titus and Caroline were:-
1. Clementina b:6 March 1866 at Lower Irwin, and died 8 April 1942 m. Henry Peach LINTHORNE 1867-1936 in Western Australia on 2 July 1887. The children of this marriage All born in Dongara were :-
Grace Ella LINTHORNE b:18 Dec.1887 Dongara d: 14 Jan. 1888 Dongara
Eric Henry Raymond LINTHORNE b:1890 Midland Junction d: 9 May 1935 Arrino m."Gertrude" Idahlia Gertrude CRIDDLE 1892-1933 at Irwin in 1911
Irwin Montague LINTHORNE b:1893 Dongara d: 1943 m. Elizabeth RUSS in 1916
Stillborn M LINTHORNE 1894 1894
Doris Roberta LINTHORNE b:1902 Dongara d: 20 January 1979
2. Walter b: 10 May 1867 Dongara and died 3 December 1936 in Perth. m. Mary Ann Millicent NORTON 1876-1953 at Mingenew, WA on the on the 26 June 1907. one child of this marriage :-
Keith Clements Russ b: 24 December 1909 Fremantle d:8 October 1989
3. Absolom b: 10 July 1869 and died 17 July 1869 at Dongara, WA
4. Caroline Elizabeth 16 July 1870 Dongara died 15 January 1944 in Perth. m. Ernest Alfred FIELD 1868-1946 at Dongara on the 12 September 1894. The children of this marriage were:-
Veronica Ernestine FIELD 1899 1970
Pearl Elizabeth FIELD 1902 1971
Kelsie Alfreda FIELD 1905 1989
Thelma Jean FIELD 1908 1992
5. Robert b: 12 April 1873 in Dongara and died on the 8 March 1943 in Irwin, Western Australia. m. Sarah Winifred PLESTER 1888-1954 at Dongara on the 19 March 1913. The children of this marriage were:-
Alice Denison Russ 1914 1951
Irene Russ 1916 1964
Laurence Charles Russ 1918 1969
Ivan Robert John Russ 1922 1999
The photograph below shows Robert RUSS standing in the doorway of his fruit and vege shop at Dongara
For some reason I am unable to post a comment on any of your journals!
I will take you through my Rex Raymond BURNS 1928-1983 research step by step so you can go over it.
1949 - Apprentice Carpenter 128 Great East Hwy. Midland Junction.
1954 - Carpenter Midland Junction
He married Jean Mary LORIMER about 1951. daughter of G J LORIMER
1958 - Carpenter Bushmead Rd., Hazelmere
1972 Clerk 1 Weber Place, Dianella
He and Jean remained there till his death in 1983
CEMETERY RECORD ; BURNS REX RAYMOND 55 years 1983 DIANELLA
There are a lot of Thomas Burns' and you are going to need certificates for Rex to confirm where he was born.
The West Australian Friday 27 July 1951
LORIMER-BURNS: The engagement is announced and the marriage will take place shortly between Jean Lorimer. Kalamunda-road, South Guildford. and Rex Burns, 128 York-road. Midland Junction.
And the age tells me this isn't him but found it interesting, and besides how many Rex Burns could there be at Midland Junction and the papers arn't always right:
The West Australian Friday 26 May 1950
YOUNG PLAYERS IN LACROSSE SQUAD
The policy of most sporting bodies in fostering juniors is one that is beginning to pay dividends in almost all branches of sport and the W.A. Lacrosse Association has certainly benefited from the scheme which was started during the year.
This is borne out by the unusually large number of young players included in the State practice squad. A number of them are under 20.
One of the lads, Rex Burns, has seven years experience in lacrosse at the age of 19. He began playing in club games at the age of 12 and since that time has been a regular player for the strong Midland Junction team. He fills the important position of third home. He has moulded his game on the style of a clubmate, Arthur Horner, one of the best-known players in the State. Burns's ambition is to gain State selection and if he is chosen this year he will probably be the youngest player to compete in an interstate carnival.
apart from a speeding fine in 1947 that's about it.
I looked at the Burns people buried at Karrakatta.
and I found a death for a Rita M J BURNS in 1935
BURNS RITA M J Female PERTH 1283 1935
I decided to investigate and discovered her full name before marriage was Rita Madeline Julia EDMONDS born in NSW.
9250/1892 EDMONDS RITA M J JOHN T IDA M BURWOOD
This girl went to Queensland and married Thomas James BURNS in 1912;
1912/C3004 Edmonds Rita Julia Madeline Burns Thomas James
Rita was buried at Karrakatta
CEMETERY RECORD: BURNS RITA MADELINE JULIA 43 years died 25 July 1935 PERTH
So I went back to the newspapers and have confirmed that Rita was indeed Rex's mother:-
The West Australian Friday 26 July 1935
BURNS. On July 25, at the Perth Hospital, Rita M. J., of 20 Adelaide-terrace, loving mother of Joyce, Audrey and Rex. Dearly loved.
BURNS. On July 25, 1985. at the Perth Hos pital, Rita Madeline Julia Burns, late of 30 Adelaide-terrace, East Perth, beloved sister of Gladys Evelyn (Mrs A. Cropper, Bayswater), and William Corcoran (Kilkenny, South Australia); aged 43 years.
BURNS. The Friends of the late Mrs. Rita Madeline Julia Burns, late of 20 Adelaide terrace, East Perth, are respectfully informed that her remains will be interred in the Roman Catholic portion of the Karrakatta
Rita Madeline Julia Edmonds was the daughter of Ida Mary LOGAN b: 1870 in Ryde NSW and died in Perth WA on the 22 October 1933 Buried at Karrakatta Cemetary, Perth, before she died she was living at 15 Garret Road, Bayswater, WA Her profession was Nurse. Her parents were Ernest LOGAN and Julia Victoria SIMES.
She married 1. John Thomas EDMONDS b: 17 AUG 1870 in Beechworth, Victoria on the 2 January 1891 in Sydney.
Divorce July 14, 1897 Sydney. 2. Married William CORCORAN in 1915 in Perth WA.