janilye on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
LIST OF PASSENGERS TO ADELAIDE PER SHIP BURLINGTON.
from London via Plymouth to Port Adelaide 2nd May 1865
The ship Burlington, Captain Ellis, which sailed from Plymouth on the 4th January, with 281 immigrants, under the charge of Dr. Gregory. Surgeon-Superintendent, arrived at a late hour on
Tuesday night, after a passage of 118 days.
Sub-joined are the names of the immigrants, together with their industrial and national classifications:
Thomas, Emma, and Thomas Allen, Thomas Amos, W. James Andrews, George, Mary, George, and James Barrow, William H. Bedella, Elizabeth Bedella, Rd. and Susan Bennett, Eli Billingham, Elizabeth Blake, Amelia Blake, Mary Botting, Richard Brookes, Harriet Brown, James Coad, John, Hannah, John W., and Wm. F. Cogan, Mich. Cullings, Ellen Cooper, James Cornish, John Crothery, George and Annie Crump, Charles, Mary, John, Henry, James, Elizabeth, and Eliza Crump, John Doyle, Catherine and Thomas Driscoll, William Driscoll, June Edwards, Sarah Faulkener, Georgina Gabb, Richard and Ellen Gill, John and Augusta Groves, Fred. Hamblin, Ann Hayes, William Herring, James and Sarah Hicks, Stephen Hill, William, Ann, and Mary Hocking. John Hogan, James Holby, William Hooker., James Hulbard, Charles Hyde, John James, John Job, Edwin Juliffe, Hugh Kent, William King, Robert and Richard Kittoe, Edwin Lamming, Sarah Langley, James Letcher, Albert McDonald, Joseph and James Maddren, George Mapstone, Mary Mankelord, George and Thomas Martin. Thomas and Samuel May, Andrew Maney, James Mellen, Elizabeth Mitchell, George Morgan, Stephen, Margaret, May, Annie, William H., and Jane Moyle, Charles Mutton, William Nancarrow, Richard, John, Elizabeth, James, and Edward Nettell, Jeremiah Nicholas, May, David, Sarah. George, Ellis, Catherine, Bertha, and Ada Norman. William Parsons, Charles C., Grace. Joseph, and John Pascoe, Abel and Ellen Pattermore, Elizabeth Paull, David and Matilda Pickett, Ann, Catherine, James, and Grace Richards, Martha, James, Ellen, and Julia Rimer, Eliza Ror, John and Jane Roskilly. Elizabeth Roskrow, Emily and Nathaniel Rouse, John, Catherine, Elizabeth, Joseph, and Thomas Rule, William and Mary Simmons, Harry Smith, Elizabeth Soames, Lavinia Sparman, Thomas Spillett, William Staff. Joseph and Nathaniel Stephens, Louisa and Charlotte Stoddard, Louisa, Jane, and George Stoddard, Thomas and Jane Stom, William, Julia, Mary, and Elizabeth Symons, John Thomas. Nicholas, Mary Jane, Nicholas, and Mary Thomas, Alice Thomas, Reuben, Mary Ann, and Louisa Toms, William and Susan Touten. Richard and Thos. Trembak, Nathaniel Trescowthick. Humphry, Eliza, and Richard Trounce. Mark. Jessie. Edwin, and Laban Wake, William, Rachel, John, and Samuel Walters, John Webster, Elizabeth Weeks, Sarah Ann White, Charles Wilcoks, James, Richard, Emma, and George Williams. James Willoughby, Samuel Wills. Charles Woodward.
Scotch Robert Aitchison, Jane Aitchison, Joseph Barton, David Bell. William H. Ford, Alexander Fulton, Jane Gardiner, David Harrison, Jane Harrison. John, Ann, Mary, Jessie, and Mary Henderson, Ann Henry, James lnglis, Ann Jolly. Alexander Johnson. Barbara Linklater, Charles Linklater, Andrew, Jessie, Jessie, Andrew, Isabella, Jane, James, and Elizabeth Lindsay, Isabel Lyndsay. Margaret Lynch, Robert McConnell Alexander and Margaret McGregor, Catherine and Jessie McKenzie, Ann McKeown, Robert Taylor, Ellen Wallace, James Young.
Irish Charles Barrett, James, Mary, and Winifred Carry, James Chant. Ann Collins. Mary and Bridget Connell. William Coughlin, James Coy, Thomas and Margaret Cunningham, Catherine and Pat Doyle, David Gunn, Mary Higgins, Michael,John, and Monty Hogan. Thady Hynes, David, Mary, Michael, Pat, and Mary Kelly, Michael Keneally, William, John, Mary, and Margaret Kenedy, Celia King, James Lyman, Ellen McAuliffe, Eliza McCahey. Mary McCarthy, Ann McLoughlin, Pat and Margaret Mouby, Thomas Neeman, Abigail O'Callaghan, Thomas Rochford, Stephen, John, and Robert Ryan. Thomas and Ellen Stafford, Ann Stunchon, John Walsh, Pat Whelan.
Summary of Nationalities.
English Adults, 155: children between 1 and 12, 19: infants, 8; total 192.
Scotch Adults 30: children between 1 and 12. 9 ; total, 39.
Irish Adults. 45; children between 1 and 12, 3 : infants, 1 ; total, 49.
Totals Adults, 240; children between 1 and 12, 31; infants, 9; grand total, 288 equal to 210
statute adults; children between 1 and 12, 15½; total, 255½. Industrial Classification. Miners 33, labourers 59, servants 43, schoolmasters 2, matron 1,cooks 4, shepherds 2, blacksmiths 5, carpenters or cabinet-makers 3, masons 3, farmers 2, farm labourers and servants 6, laundress 1, sawyer 1, railway labourer 1, housekeeeper 1, coachpainter 1, printer 1, carter 1, ploughman 2, dairymaid 1, sempstress 1, shoe makers 2.
The South Australian Advertiser (Adelaide, SA : 1858 - 1889)
Wednesday 3 May 1865
Taken from the Agents' embarkation list
I saw one string of sixty camels silently going about their business led by a turbaned Afghan with a gay coloured dress, the rear of the procession brought up by another Afghan riding leisurely along at the rate of say two and a half miles an hour. Unhasty, yet unresting, these grotesque animals pursue their way, each following in the footsteps of the other - no whips, no jangle of harness, no objection to the dust - just plod, plod, plod along, their brown skins and knotted excrescences harmonising perfectly with the sombre foliage, the burnt and baked up bushes, the grotesquely stunted trees.
(An account of 1895 by an anonymous writer)
The cameleers or 'handlers' came from Egypt, Persia and Turkey though most, hailed from northern India and what today is Pakistan. But the men were all, almost always incorrectly, called Afghans or simply "Ghans." they played a vital role in pioneering transport and communication routes across outback Australia's vast expanses
In June 1860, the first three Afghans with 124 camels arrived in Melbourne; they were Dost Mohamed and Hassan Khan both Pashtun people and Baloch from Balochistan.
European exploration and settlement of inland Australia depended heavily on the expertise of these cameleers. During the late 19th century their network of transport routes opened up the arid interior.
More efficient than bullock or horse teamsters, the cameleers were in great demand. They helped construct the Overland Telegraph Line and inland railways, took part in exploration expeditions, and supplied mining towns and pastoral stations.
The cameleers small Muslim communities were a feature of Australian outback towns for more than 50 years. Areas where the Afghans would settle were called Ghan Towns and, tin mosques, palm trees and camel stables, marked these towns.
Cameleers would build Masjids that would not only serve as a place of worship, but as a gathering place that offered them a sense of community that they could not find elsewhere.
Ghan towns" are mostly found in South Australia in Port Augusta, Maree, Beltana, Farina and Oodnadatta.
In some instances, European attitudes to the cameleers focused on their religion and in other cases, it was related to their pride and independence as, at the time, Afghanistan was only known to most Australians as the country that had, unlike British India, resisted British rule.
They were not allowed to bring their women with them consequently some, who remained in the country married native Australian Aboriginal women. Laws in Australia at the time did not permit marriage with european women. Excellent research entitled The Afghans and the Aborigines by Philip Jones of the South Australian Museum describes the relationships between the cameleers and the aborigines.
[Alice Springs owes its existence to the hardy camel and the equally hardy cameleers. It was founded in the early 1870s as a repeater station for the Darwin-to-Adelaide Overland Telegraph Line which was also built by men who depended on dromedaries for supplies and equipment. Plodding camels not only helped establish "The Alice," they brought it music: The first piano arrived in the 1880s, the story goes, strapped to the back of a camel. Aptly, the city holds a state legislative district, The Sadadeen primary school and a major thoroughfare all named after cameleer Saleh "Charlie" Sadadeen, who came to Alice Springs with his team in 1890. "Children were enthralled with his distinctive, flowing robes and intrigued with the long-stemmed pipe he smoked," reports the Alice Springs Centralian Advocate.]
[Men like Sadadeen came to Australia on two to three-year contracts but often lived out their lives in the country, writes American geographer Tom McKnight in The Camel in Australia. While a handful became wealthy, deploying "thousands of camels organized into the backbone of corporate business," most toiled from dawn to well past dusk for low pay, and lived near outback towns in little communities distinguished by the "tin minarets of their hastily constructed mosques." Wherever the cameleers settled, writes McKnight, "they would soon construct a place of worship. In every case the mosque was a focal point of community life in Ghan Town."]
Philip Jones and Anna Kenny, wrote a book called Australia's Muslim Cameleers about the cameleers from Afghanistan, a wonderful pictorial history of these men, their religious and cultural life, and their relations with Indigenous and European Australians. This book contains a biographical listing of more than 1200 cameleers. Many of the images and artefacts in this fascinating account being published for the first time.
This book may be ordered through Flinders Rangers Research The largest site for South Australian and Northern Territory Historical Information.
Today Australia is one of the major camel exporters to the Middle East
In 1921 the semi-retired Cameleer Saleh (Charlie) Sadadeen leased the block which now houses the Council`s Civic Centre. Sadadeen was born in the Punjab, northwest India, and arrived in Alice Springs in 1890 after ten years in Australia and previous service in the British Army as a Cameleer. Two tall date palms outside the Council Civic Centre were planted in 1916 by Walter Smith who worked with the cameleers bringing supplies from the railhead at Oodnadatta. In front of the palms is a monument and seat, built in the 1980`s, dedicated to the Cameleers. The park was rededicated in 2001.
When the Coolgardie gold rush occurred in 1894, the cameleers were quick to move in. The goldfields could not have continued without the food and water they transported. In March that year, a caravan of six Afghans, forty-seven camels and eleven calves, set out across the desert from Marree to the goldfield.
Throughout the outback, there are many lone graves of cameleers, often buried with their camels.
Alice Springs Memorial Cemetery
This cemetery is the resting place of many pioneers, including the remarkable Eddie Connellan and his family (a row of white marble headstones), famous Aboriginal artist Albert Namatjira, Harold Bell Lasseter, who died trying to find a lost gold reef and Miss Olive Pink an early anthropologist. There is also a special section devoted to the early Afghan cameleers and their descendants who were a vital part of the early exploration and settlement of Central Australia. They are buried facing Mecca.
2,000 Cameleers arrived in Australia. For more information on any one of them please ask.
Photo below; Loading camels at Marree, about 1901
Besides The Drouin Collection of Quebec Vital and Church Records. Which I believe can now be accessed through ancestry.com
give these following sites a go.
Library and Archives of Canada
Canada GenWeb Project
For Cemeteries D'ADDEZIO.com and GenWeb Cemeteries
Généalogie du Québec et de l'Acadie
Canada GenWeb for Kids
Catherine EATHER, the thirteenth and last child of Thomas EATHER 1800-1886 and Sarah, nee McALPIN, was born at Richmond, New South Wales on 13 January 1846. Her childhood home was the "Union Inn" in Windsor Street, Richmond where her parents resided and her father was sometimes the inn-keeper.
Her eldest brother and sister were already married when she was born and the next two were married when she was still too young to remember the respective events. Four more family weddings occurred by the time she was ten, and she became used to seeing older brothers and sisters departing from their home town for destinations over the ranges to the north.
She was only two when her sister Susannah died from burns and she probably did not remember her in later life. Her chief childhood playmates were her brothers James and John and some of her nieces and nephews who lived nearby. She was nine when her eldest sister, Elizabeth, became a widow and there was sorrow in the family. Of her older sisters, the ones whom she knew the best were Elizabeth and Annie, as they were the ones who continued to live at Richmond after their respective marriages. Catherine EATHER probably had formal schooling as a pupil at the school a few streets away and she would have gone along with her parents and other relatives on Sundays to the regular service in St Peter's Church. She probably went to Sunday school classes.
On 23 May 1866, when she was twenty, Catherine EATHER married twenty-nine year-old William Henry TAYLOR. The wedding was held at Richmond by the rites of the Presbyterian Church. The witnesses who signed the marriage register were two of her seventeen year-old nephews, Albert YOUNG and Henry Charles EATHER. The groom had been born at Richmond in 1837, the son of a farmer, Robert TAYLOR and his wife Sarah. Like many of the young men born on the Hawkesbury, he had ventured out onto the Liverpool Plains and beyond and by the time of his marriage he was a grazier in the Narran Creek district far out to the north-west of the colony beyond the township of Walgett. He signed the marriage certificate with his mark (a cross).
Soon after her marriage Catherine left her home district, just as most of her elder siblings had done, and proceeded to the Liverpool Plains. On the way she would have been able to have called upon her eldest brother and family at Bulga; her sister Sarah and family at the hotel at Muswellbrook, and her sister Charlotte and family at nearby Liddell. She didn't make her home permanently at Narran Creek. She and William spent most of their married lives on the Namoi River at Baan Baa. There Catherine was amongst quite a number of her relatives, as her brothers Charles, Peter and William were all married and living on or near the family station "Henriendi", and her single brothers James and John were also there except when away on droving trips or visits to the Hawkesbury or elsewhere.
During the first twenty-one years of their marriage, five children were born to Catherine and William. At some date between 1876 and 1883 William Henry TAYLOR changed his surname to ALLEN. The reason for this is still a mystery. His first three children were registered with the surname of TAYLOR, but William, born in 1883, was registered as ALLEN. Thereafter all references to the family members in official records, including the first three children, have the family name as ALLEN.
When grandchildren of Catherine and William became subscribers to the EATHER Family Newsletter in the 1980's, they were unaware that TAYLOR had once been the surname of two of their grandparents. Catherine EATHER became well-known in the Boggabri and Narrabri districts. She has been recorded as an expert horsewoman, riding side-saddle as many women did in those days.
She became an experienced mid-wife and for years travelled the countryside in the Baan Baa and Narrabri districts, attending to her patients. William remained a grazier, but according to oral family history he also drove coaches for Cobb and Co for several years in the 1890's. Eventually there came an occasion when bushrangers attempted to hold up his coach. Gun-fire ensued and the sound of it caused the team to bolt. William was thrown from the driver's seat and dragged along the ground for some distance. He was transported to the Narrabri hospital suffering from head and other injuries. He died in hospital eight days later on 7 October 1894 from "injuries to the brain". He was 57.
His daughter, Sarah age 23 years, provided the information for her father's death certificate. She was single and her place of residence was Nowley Station, Narrabri. His name was given as William Henry ALLEN and his occupation as grazier.
He had seven living children and none deceased. An inquest was held into the cause of his death. The coroner's verdict was, "Effects of injuries accidentally received" and the locality, "near Narrabri". Catherine survived her husband by thirty-four years.
She suffered further tragedy in her life when her second son William, who had enlisted in the AIF during World War I, was killed in action overseas.
Her eldest son, Thomas, also died during her lifetime.
She lived to see her three eldest children married, and to see grandchildren and great-grandchildren. At some time in her old age she left the Narrabri district and moved to Sydney.
After the death of her sister Sarah in Queensland in 1926, she was the only surviving daughter of Thomas and Sarah EATHER.
She was 82 when she passed away at the residence of her grandson, Athol HATHORN, at 125 Forest Road, Bexley on 26 October 1928. She was buried in the Woronora. Cemetery. Three children; Sarah (age 57), Mabel (53) and Frank (41) survived her. The information on her death certificate was provided by Athol HATHORN.
The Children of Catherine Eather and William Henry TAYLOR 1837-1894 were:-
Thomas Charles Taylor Allen 1868 1919 m. Minnie Clara FREEMAN 1878-1965
Sarah Eliza Taylor 1871 1955 m. Henry HATHORN 1866-1962
Mabel Kate Taylor 1875 1958 m. William Henry ROBINSON 1877-1945
William Roland Allen 1883 1917 ANZAC Killed in action
Frank McAlpin Allen 1887 1956
Eather family Newsletter
Eather Family History
The census was held on a Sunday either that last weekend in March or the beginning of April. Sunday night when most people would be at home.
You'll notice the first census in 1841 was held in June and not successful at all, because the bright sparks in the city who organised it, didn't realise, it was during the agricultural season and most people were away for the harvest. The 1841 census in England and Wales was the first census where the names of all the occupants of the household were taken.
They were administered in census districts which were based on the registration districts used in the civil registration of births, deaths and marriages. These districts were made into divisions of about 200 households called enumeration districts and enumerators were employed ( yes! they were paid)to visit the households and explain the forms, much the same as they do today.
The districts did not always match the existing parish boundaries.
The date of the census were:
Sunday 6 June 1841
Sunday 30 March 1851
Sunday 7 April 1861
Sunday 2 April 1871
Sunday 3 April 1881
Sunday 5 April 1891
Sunday 31 March 1901
Sunday 2 April 1911
Census returns are subject to a 100 years' privacy rule
I couldn't resist adding this History of the British Empire from Horrible Histories.
Special forms were supplied for asylums, hospitals, schools and similar institutions
with over 100 occupants.
The form below is the 1911 Census
I will be in The Maldon and Castlemaine area from the 16th March till the 27th March
I will be visiting the Maldon Cemetery .
So if you need a photograph or confirmation of a death, let me know
If you have a request for anything at any of the other towns in the central goldfields area, ask and I will do my best to get there.
For 3 days during this time I will be at the Goldfields Research Centre in Bendigo.
If any member has look-ups they would like carried out whilst I'm there. Please contact me or post them on this page. I will notify you whether or not a favourable result is achieved.
After this trip, I will not be returning till 27th April 2013
5700/1860 CHAFFE HENRY
6580/1873 CHAFFE PETER
8559/1879 CHAFFE GEORGE
11001/1884 CHAFFE MARY
4586/1887 CHAFFE ELIZABETH T
10035/1901 CHAFFE ETHEL
7063/1910 CHAFFE MARTHA
4669/1915 CHAFFE WARWICK
18932/1915 CHAFFE ARTHUR C
3584/1922 CHAFFE HARRIET M
18570/1922 CHAFFE PETER H
11730/1938 CHAFFE ALFRED
21894/1942 CHAFFE HENRY
23865/1950 CHAFFE MARGARET ELAINE
22653/1952 CHAFFE WILLIAM STANLEY
29411/1952 CHAFFE JOHN
7600/1953 CHAFFE EILEEN MAY
13529/1953 CHAFFE MARY JOSEPHINE
2752/1955 CHAFFE ALFRED BOVEY
6169/1955 CHAFFE SUSAN MARY
27746/1956 CHAFFE WILLIAM WARWICK
40803/1967 CHAFFE EDNA IRENE
5841/1970 CHAFFE VICTOR GEORGE
40296/1972 CHAFFE WARWICK
47365/1974 CHAFFE ENID MINNIE
47365/1974 CHAFFE ENID MINNIE
100625/1976 CHAFFE ARTHUR JAMES
104136/1977 CHAFFE FLORENCE MAY
21185/1980 CHAFFE MARY
12030/1859 CHAFFE HENRY
12883/1862 CHAFFE ALFRED H
14562/1875 CHAFFE PETER HENRY
15052/1876 CHAFFE JOHN
10709/1857 CHAFFE ELIZABETH E
12515/1873 CHAFFE MARY WINEFRED
23224/1880 CHAFFE JOHN
20631/1882 CHAFFE HENRY
23623/1883 CHAFFE MARY
25307/1884 CHAFFE MARTHA
26868/1886 CHAFFE HANNAH
27688/1887 CHAFFE HARRIET
21150/1878 CHAFFE GEORGE
23519/1889 CHAFFE WILLIAM W
38175/1891 CHAFFE ALFRED
30294/1892 CHAFFE ALFRED A
23715/1901 CHAFFE ETHEL
33008/1903 CHAFFE AGNES L
29470/1909 CHAFFE AGNES L
Charles EATHER and his twin brother Thomas EATHER were the first of the EATHER family born in the Hawkesbury district.
On 1 October 1800, three years after they had settled on their thirty acre grant of land at Green Hills, Thomas EATHER formerly HEATHER 1764-1827 and his wife Elizabeth, nee LEE 1771-1860 became the proud parents of twin sons, whom they named Charles and Thomas.
The forename Charles had not appeared in the Heather family in the four previous generations, but Thomas EATHER had had a good friend in one Charles MARTIN 1769-1797. They had been fellow inmates of the prison at Maidstone and had come out to the colony together on the "Neptune".
Thomas had attended Charles Martin's wedding at Parramatta on 2 August 1792 to SARAH GITTENS (1772-1845) and had been recorded as a witness to that event.
Sadly, Charles Martin had been murdered on the 25th.October 1797. There was a dispute over money between Charles and John Morris, Morris kicked Charles in the groin and left him to die. MORRIS was later charged and convicted of manslaughter. Perhaps Thomas named the first-born of his twins after his late friend.
Just after Charles EATHER turned five he was baptised on 11 October 1805, along with his twin brother Thomas and their infant brother John, who was eight days old, by the Reverend Samuel MARSDEN, during his visit to the Hawkesbury.
Charles spent his childhood on the EATHER farm. He saw the floods which innundated much of his parents' farm in March 1806, and worse floods in the winter of 1809, when hundreds of pigs, sheep and cattle and countless stacks of hay were washed away . He saw too the gradual development of a small township on Green Hills and was quite a big boy when Governor MACQUARIE visited the district and named it Windsor.
During his teenage years Charles undoubtedly learned many of the skills of farm labour as he assisted his father and brothers in various tasks on the family farm. Nevertheless, Thomas EATHER evidently believed that it was important that his twin sons should learn the skills of a useful trade. As teenagers, both trained to be shoemakers, probably under an apprenticeship to a local artisan. When the General Muster was taken in 1822 both Charles and Thomas were recorded as being shoemakers. It seems unlikely that they practiced their trade for long for being brought up on a farm in what was a rich farming district, they probably felt that agriculture offered a better future than a trade.
On 20 June 1820 their father, Thomas, had sent a petition to the Governor, seeking a second grant of land. About the same time Charles and Thomas also made applications for grants. Ten months later, on Saturday, 28 April 1821, the "Sydney Gazette" carried a long list of names of 'new tiers' who were to receive grants of land, and old settlers, who were to have "additional lands located for them in the year 1821". The list included the names of Charles EATHER , Thomas EATHER and Thomas EATHER Snr. The exact District of Charles EATHER's block of land has not been verified, but it was evidently on the river flats at Cornwallis, quite close to the Hawkesbury River. Records show that Charles farmed at Cornwallis for many years, and that in the next generation his sons had also farmed there.
Although flood-prone, the land at Cornwallis was very fertile and only a short distance from Windsor. The area of his grant was probably 50 acres, that being the area that his father received.
By 1822 Charles was most likely farming his land rather than practicing trade of shoe-making.
The EATHER sons belonged to the increasing proportion of the population which consisted of offspring of the emancipists, soldiers and settlers, born and bred in the colony and recognizing Australia as their native land. By the time they were in their early twenties most of the males naturally casting around for likely spouses, and the EATHER's were no exception in this respect. Males were still far more numerous than females in the colony, but Robert EATHER had succeeded in finding a marital partner in young Mary LYNCH , and by 1823 they were the parents of three young children.
By then Thomas EATHER had formed a romantic attachment with Sarah, the daughter of blacksmith, Peter McALPIN, and they married in the following year on the same day that Robert and Mary were wed.
In 1823 Charles also found a lifelong marital partner in Ann GOUGH, at three years his senior, recently separated from her husband, and at the age of 26 years the mother of 7 children.
What took her to the Hawkesbury district is uncertain, because she had lived at Sydney until she and her husband had parted late in 1822. Charles showed her compassion in her unfortunate situation and provided a home for her and several of her young children.
Ann's maiden name was CAIN. She had been born in Ireland about 1797 to Mary CAIN and husband whose forename has not emerged from records researched. When she was sixteen Ann CAIN came to Australia as a free woman on the ship "Earl Spencer", which sailed from England on 2 June 1813 under the command of Captain MITCHELL. On board were 200 male convicts (of whom 4 died during the voyage),free passengers, and a detachment of the 73rd. Regiment, together with their wives and children. During the long voyage, the vessel called at only one port, Madeira, where it stayed for ten days and took on supplies. After a voyage of over four months, the ship dropped anchor in Sydney Harbour on 9 October 1813.
Ann's name was not listed amongst the passengers on board the ship "Earl Spencer". There was one passenger, Mr D MALER , who had four servants accompanying him. Their names were not listed and Ann might have been one of them, or she might have been the daughter of one of the Soldiers. One of the convicts on board was Patrick KANE, age 40 years, a native of county Derry in Ireland. There is no reason other than the similarity of surnames to suggest that he was Ann's father. Amongst the passengers on the ship "Earl Spencer" was one who later won himself a place in the pages of history as an explorer. He was William HOVELL, who was accompanied on the voyage by his wife and children. In 1824 he accompanied Hamilton HUME on the historic first journey of exploration from the settled areas near Goulburn south to Port Phillip. On 25 November 1813, only six weeks after her arrival in the colony, Ann CAIN (spinster married to George TRAITS (bachelor), a seaman, at St Phillip's Church, Sydney.
She was age sixteen years. Her signature on the Church record of the marriage was not in running script, so she might have been able to write her name without being literate. Subsequently her name appeared in records with a number of variations such as Trails, Traitis, Fraites and even Streets. No further mention of George TRAITS has been located in any records after the wedding, so what became of him remains a mystery.
In March 1814, five months after her marriage, Ann TRAITS was charged and found guilty of theft. She received a short sentence and, when the Muster was taken later that year , she listed as a convict and was on Government Stores at the hospital at Parramatta. By 1815 Ann TRAITS had gone to the Hawkesbury district and was residing at Windsor with a convict, James GOUGH, when she gave birth to a son who was named James after his father. On 11 February 1817, at the age of 20 years, Ann was married to 26 year-old James GOUGH at St John's Church of England at Parramatta. The ceremony was performed by the Reverend Samuel MARSDEN. Both the bride and groom were listed as being of that parish, which at that time took in the Hawkesbury district as well as the Parramatta district. Permission for the marriage had been granted on 8 January 1817. It showed James as a prisoner and Ann as free. She had evidently completed the sentence imposed upon her in 1814. Both were recorded as having come to the colony on the ship "Earl Spencer".
James GOUGH had been born in London in 1790, and at the age of 22 years was living with his wife in a room over a stable when he was arrested and accused of breaking into a house on 24 April 1812 and stealing. Tried at the Old Bailey on 13 May 1812, he was found guilty and sentenced to death . This had been commuted to transportation for life and he had been one of the 200 male prisoners who made the voyage to New South Wales on the ship "Earl Spencer" in 1813. He was described in convict records as age 23 years, 5'10" tall, with brown hair and eyes and a fair to ruddy complexion. He was a joiner by trade. At the time of the 1814 Muster he was in gaol at Sydney. In April 1815 he was listed in the "Sydney Gazette" as having absconded. However, there is no record of his apprehension or punishment. After their marriage in 1817, he and Ann were residing at Windsor again when their second child, Mary, was born. James had been appointed overseer of Government carpenters and was involved in the construction of St.Matthew's Church at Windsor as superintendent of brickwork. About 1819 James GOUGH was overseer of the lumber yard at Parramatta, and it was there that their second son, Alexander, was born. About 1820 a second daughter, Louisa, was born and she was followed by another daughter, Ann, about 1821 . On 26 January 1821 James was granted a conditional pardon and was described as a carpenter, 5'11" tall, with brown hair, hazel eyes and fair complexion. At the time of the Muster in September 1822, James GOFF (sic) and wife Ann were residing in Sydney and had with them their children , James 7, Mary 6, Alexander 4, and Louisa 3. Their infant daughter, Ann, had died in June that year at Sydney. Towards the end of 1822 marital disharmony erupted in the GOUGH household and Ann and James parted.
The "Sydney Gazette" of 22 November 1822 carried the following announcement: NOTICE: I,the undersigned, do hereby give this public Notice (Deeds of Settlement and Separation having been made and executed between myself and my Wife, Ann GOUGH, whereby we have mutually agreed to live separate and apart from each other), that I shall not hold myself responsible for any Debt or Debts that my said Wife may contract, ample provision being made in the said Deeds, by me, for her future support and maintenance. James GOUGH."
It seems that in the break-up of the family, James kept the eldest three children, James, Mary and Alexander, and Ann took little Louisa. To add to her problems caused by the domestic upheaval, Ann was pregnant again at the time of their parting, and during the early months of 1823 she became the mother of twins, Stephen and Phoebe. It was some time during that year or in 1824 that Charles EATHER offered her a home and she had become his wife. What had caused her to return to the Windsor district after her separation from James GOUGH is unknown. Perhaps She returned to friends of the days when she had lived there a few years before .
Charles and Ann lived together for the next 48 years, but they never married because Ann was not legally free to do so as long as her husband James GOUGH was alive, and he outlived her. With Ann's three infants Charles began married life with a ready-made family. It increased about 1825 when his first son, Charles, was born. At the time of the 1825 Muster Ann's daughter Phoebe was listed as a child age 2 years. Three years later, when the 1828 census was taken, Ann, age 31 years, was listed as the housekeeper to Charles ETHER (sic) of Cornwallis, farmer. had with her Louisa (age 8 years ) and Stephen (age 5 years). For some reason daughter Phoebe was not listed anywhere in the census records. She had not died, so it can only be presumed that she also with her mother and had somehow missed being recorded. All three were recorded as being Roman Catholics. Charles and Charles Jnr (age 3 years), were listed as Protestants.
In 1824 James GOUGH acquired an inn about ten miles from Parramatta on the Windsor Road and he remained there it 1828, but when the census was taken he was a builder living in Cambridge Street, Sydney. With him were James (age 13 years), Mary (age 11 years), and Alexander (age 9 years), and also John (age 5 years) and Thomas (age 1 year). The last two were the children of James and Mary ALLEN (nee SHERWIN). All were listed as Protestants. Another son, Thomas, was born to Charles and Ann soon after the census was taken. They continued to farm at Cornwallis and more children were added to their family. William, born 1831, was followed by Charles ' first daughter, Frances, about 1833. Another son, George , born about 1834, and finally another daughter, Rosina, was born on 13 December 1836. Ann was almost 40 and Rosina was her thirteenth and last child. The break-up of her marriage to James GOUGH and the division of their children did not result in Ann's losing contact with her three eldest children. During the years that James had been inn-keeping on the Windsor-Parramatta Road, she had undoubtedly seen them from time to time. Then as they grew up they tended to return to the Hawkesbury district .
By 1836 James GOUGH was living at Berrima and had a carrying business between Liverpool and Goulburn, but the three children had been with him from the days of his marriage to Ann, were probably all in the Hawkesbury district by then.
The EATHER farm at Cornwallis probably saw frequent coming and going of Ann's older children as they called from time to time. Charles' six children would have come to know all their halfbrothers and half-sisters well as the years passed. Ann was a grandmother by the time Rosina was born. Her eldest daughter, Mary, had married Edward Roberts in St Matthew's Church at Windsor on 28 March 1835. It was a ceremony that Ann and Charles would have attended. Mary's first child, William, was born at Windsor on 29 January 1836.
Thereafter, there were frequent additions to Ann's growing number of grandchildren. On 8 January 1838 at Pitt Town Ann' s eldest son James, age 22 years, married Amelia BRINCHLEY WARD, daughter of Michael and Sophia Jane Elizabeth Ann WARD. Amelia's young brother was Frederick Wordsworth WARD 1835-1870 CAPTAIN THUNDERBOLT the bushranger and horse thief.
Amelia and James lived at Windsor, where James worked as a carpenter, and the first of their eleven children was born in December that year. Three months after James married, his brother, Alexander, was married in St Matthew's Church at Windsor on 5 April 1838 at the age of 19. His bride was 17 year old Jane ROBINSON, daughter of Richard and Mary ROBINSON. Alexander took his bride to live at Clarendon near Windsor, and he earned his living as a cooper. Their first child was born early in 1839.
On 25 February Ann's second daughter Louisa, age 18, was married at Portland Head to George FORRESTER, a son of Henry FORRESTER and Lucy UPTON. George's grandfather, Robert FORRESTER, had arrived in the colony on the ship "Scarborough" with the First Fleet. After their marriage Louisa and George lived at Grose Vale near North Richmond. Their first child was born on Christmas Day 1839.
In 1826 Charles's brothers-in-law, Joseph ONUS and Robert WILLIAMS, had been amongst the first wave of pastoralists who had taken stock onto the Liverpool Plains and had "squatted" on runs in the region outside the defined limits of settlement. During the next few years many other pastoralists followed their example, and amongst these were Charles and his brothers, Robert and Thomas. In partnership they established a run called "Benial" on the Namoi River and grazed cattle there. The role that Charles played in this partnership is unknown. He undoubtedly contributed some of the cattle and some of the men whom the partnership employed. He probably visited the station on occasions. In July 1836 the Legislative Council passed the first Act to legalise an d control the practice of squatting, and the very first application for a licence to depasture stock 'beyond the limits of District' was made by the three EATHER brothers.
The joint memorial of Thomas EATHER, Robert EATHER and Charles EATHER, brothers of Richmond, to the Governor, Sir Richard Bourke, read as follows:- "That your Memorialists are Natives of the Colony and Landholders residing at Richmond. That your Memorialists are possessed of a Considerable Numb er of Horned Cattle as their joint stock which for some tim e past and now are depasturing at a Place called 'Benial' on the Banks the Namoi River. That your Memorialists acting in conformity with the meaning of the Act of the Legislative it recently passed for the prevention of encroachment on the Waste Lands in the Colony will be permitted to Graze their Cattle on the Waste Lands unless your Memorialists shall obtain a licence from the Government permitting them so to do. That your Memorialists therefore most respectfully solicit that Your Excellency will be pleased to Grant them a licence to Depasture their Cattle at 'genial' on the Namoi River and that Memorialists as in duty bound will ever pray etc ." The licence was duly granted and renewed in the years that followed. Charles did not capitalise on this early interest in the pastoral industry. The partnership was soon dissolved. Thomas retained the station on the Namoi River and passed it down to his sons. Robert went on extend his pastoral interests away out on Narran Creek, and involved some of his sons in the venture. Charles did not further his early interest and is not recorded as holding any other station in the north or north-west. He seems to have been content to limit his farming and grazing the Hawkesbury district.
In 1822 Robert, Charles and Thomas had each been allocated an allotment of land in Cox's Lane in Windsor at a time when the settlers were being encouraged to build themselves homes out of the flood-prone areas. None of them had made use of their allocation in the years that followed.
Then, on the same day, 22 November 1841, all three wrote separate memorials to the Colonial Secretary seeking deeds of grant for their respective allotments. The requests were refused on the grounds that little or no attempt had been made to use or improve the ground in the intervening years. Having failed in this attempt to obtain an allotment in Windsor. Charles looked to other means of satisfying his requirement, and on 4 July 1842 he purchased an allotment in George Street from his brother Robert. It was the south-western third of an allotment which Robert had purchased about twenty yeas previously. Charles paid £50 for it, as it was an allotment without any house upon it.
On 1 June 1842, another of Ann's children married. Phoebe GOUGH and Dio BALDWIN exchanged vows in the Presbyterian Church at Windsor. Dio was the youngest of the twelve children of Henry Baldwin and Elizabeth RAYNER. The young couple resided at Wilberforce for the first few years of their marriage and their first two children were born there. During the 1840's Ann's grandchildren increased in number at a rapid rate, and by 1850 numbered 22 living out of 25 born. All of her five married children were living in the Hakesbury district, within ten miles of the EATHER farm, so she saw them frequently and watched the infants grow to children and the children to teenagers. On 3 December 1849 there was another wedding in the family when Charles, the first child of Charles and Ann, was married in the Wesleyan Chapel at Windsor to Frances Emma WATT, a young migrant girl who had been born in London, England and had come to the colony as a child with her parents, John and Maria WATT.
Five months later, Thomas, the second son of Charles and Ann, married Emma Mary STAPLES on 2 April 1850.
In 1853 Charles EATHER gave up farming when he was granted a publican's licence for the "Woolpack Inn" at North Richmond. His sureties were his nephews, William Onus and Joseph ONUS, sons of his sister Ann. He spent several years in business there as an inn-keeper. On 2 October 1855 William , his third son, was married to Catherine MCMAHON, a daughter of John and Mary MCMAHON of Kurrajong. Catherine had been born in Ireland and had came to Australia with her parents and brothers and sisters on the ship "Charles Kerr" in 1839 when she was still a small girl.
Four months later there was another family wedding, when Rosina, the youngest of the family, was married on 19 February 1856 to Alfred DALTON in St Matthew's, Church of England, Windsor.
More family weddings followed during the next few years. In 1857 there were two marriages with which Charles and Ann were connected. Jane, the wife of Alexander GOUGH, had died in 1853, and on 2 May 1857 he remarried in St Matthew's Church. His second wife was Elizabeth WALKER, she was over twenty years his junior. Just prior to Christmas, on 19 December 1857, Rosina's elder sister, Frances 1833-1869, married John BATEMAN.
The last of Charles and Ann's children to marry youngest son, George. He was 24 when he married Dorothy KINSELA, daughter of Martin KINSELA 1793-1860 and Ellen Henlen/HENDLING/HANLON 1794-1862, in St Matthew's, Roman Catholic Church at Windsor on 17 April 1860. None the four sons of Charles EATHER and Ann GOUGH had had any formal schooling and therefore grew illiterate. At their respective weddings each signed the marriage register with a cross.
During the many years that Charles EATHER had farmed at Cornwallis the Hawkesbury River not been flooded to the extent that it had in 1809, when he had been a boy. Then in 1864 there was a major flood, and land along its banks that had not been inundated for over fifty years covered by flood waters and much damage done to crops, fences and buildings, while numerous head of stock were drowned. In June 1867 heavy rain fell over the catchment area of the Hawkesbury and its chief tributaries, the Nepean and the Grose Rivers. The river rose and by Thursday 2Oth the farmers knew that another major flood was upon them. At that time three of the sons of Charles and Ann: Thomas, William and George, together with their respective wives and children, were living on adjoining farms at Cornwallis.
The rising water flowed across the flats, creating an island of some land near the river where their farms were situated. On the Thursday afternoon a boat under the direction of one George CUPITT was taking some men away from the area in a boat, when one of the men said to Mrs George EATHER (Dora), "You had better go up in the boat to your sisters and take the four children with you." At first she refused, saying that she would have to bake some bread and get everything into the loft before the next morning, but the men succeeded in persuading her to go. Just as they were getting into the boat, George's brothers, Tom and Bill, arrived from their farms with their wives and children, planning to take refuge in George's house, which was fairly new, and which they believed would be sturdier than their own houses. Mrs Bill EATHER ( Catherine, nee McMahon) remarked to the men, " You won't forget us if the waters come over the ridge". She was asked to get in the boat too, but refused. The boat departed.
That night the flood waters rose fast and the two families climbed onto the roof of George EATHERs house and stayed there for the remainder of the night. On the Friday morning, Mrs George EATHER another lady and Mrs Smith, went into Richmond from Clarendon and spent all day trying to get a boat sent over to rescue the two families stranded at the farm. Men were out in boats in various parts of the district, rescuing people who were stranded by the floods, and the ladies had no success in persuading anyone to go out to the Cornwallis farms.
At nightfall, they gave up trying to arrange a rescue and went back to Clarendon. About 1 am they saw a signal light away over the water in the direction of the house. Believing that it was from the families still at the farm, they returned the signal by tying papers and rags to the end of a fishing rod and lighting them. Then they rushed down to a man with a boat and told him. A dozen men were standing around, but none offered to go.
It was dark and raining. Mr DIGHT's' coachman, a man named RILEY, came along and upon being told of the trouble, passed the information on to Mr DIGHT's, who sent him galloping away to try to secure the public boat when it reached the shore, and to offer the crew £50 to go at once and rescue the EATHER's. He succeeded in getting the message to the crew and three men volunteered to go out. The signal had been a last desperate effort by the EATHER brothers to get help. The waters had risen so high that on the Thursday night they had been forced onto the roof of George EATHER's house. There the sixteen souls waited all day on Friday,expecting a boat which didn't arrive, and there they stayed into a second night.
The waters continued to rise and, reaching a record height, were over all the roof except the last three rows of shingles when the signal light was lit.
In the cold and the rain the families waited until, after twenty hours on the roof, it collapsed and all were swept away amid screams and cries. Thomas, William and George EATHER and Thomas's eldest child, sixteen year-old Charles Frederick, managed to reach a tree to which they fastened themselves. About half an hour later the boat arrived and rescued them. Tom's wife Frances and their other five children, and Bill's wife Catherine and their five children, were all drowned. The news of the tragedy spread through the district the next day and hearts went out to the survivors and their relatives. It has gone down in history as the worst single disaster of all Hawkesbury floods of all time.
The 1867 flood still remains a record for the river. Charles and Ann shared the grief of their sons. They had lost two daughters-in-law and ten of their grandchildren in one single disaster.
Over the years Charles had retained ownership of the large allotment in George Street, Windsor that he had bought from his brother Robert in 1842. When he had moved to the "Woolpack" Inn, he had rented the allotment to tenants.
On 1 July 1868 he gave it to his son George out of "natural love and affection" for the use of the said George his heirs and assigns forever". William BEDWELL was appointed trustee.
Two years later Charles and Ann suffered another bereavement when on 22 September 1869 their daughter Frances died, age of 36 leaving two small sons and a husband to grieve their loss.
Ann suffered a great deal of ill-health during the early months of 1871, and in the winter of that year became seriously ill. She was attended by local doctor, Dr. DAY but despite his efforts she died at Windsor on 18 July from natural causes. Dr Day had last visited her on the previous day. On 20 July she was buried at Windsor with the Reverend Charles F GARNSEY of the Church of England officiating at the graveside, and Thomas Primrose and Son performing the duty of undertakers. Her death was registered by her daughter, Louisa FORRESTER of Richmond Road. Ann's age was recorded as 74 at the time of her death. She had been born in Ireland and had spent 58 years in New South Wales. It was recorded also that she had been married in Sydney at the age of 16 to James GOUGH. Her father's name was not known and her mother's was stated as having been Mary CAIN . Ann's children were recorded as six males and four females living. Their names were not recorded on the death certificate, but the sons were James and Alexander GOUGH and Charles, Thomas, William and George EATHER; and the girls were Mary ROBERTS, Louisa FORRESTER, Phoebe BALDWIN and Rosina DALTON.
Ann spent almost 58 years spent in the colony and lived her last 48 years with Charles EATHER.
Her first husband, James GOUGH, was still alive and was residing in the Gundagai district.
At the time of Ann's death, 80 grandchildren had been born and eventually the number reached the enormous total of 113.
Charles continued to live in the Richmond district. Further sadness came his way when his daughter Rosina, died at Windsor on 20 January 1875 from a liver complaint. He was 75 then, but he lived for another fifteen years.
Little is known of how he spent his declining years. In his old age he resided with his youngest son George and family in March Street, Richmond. It was there that he died on 30 May 1891 at the age of 90. According to family oral history he dropped dead at the table while dining with the family. He was the only child of Thomas and Elizabeth EATHER to reach the age of 90, and his youngest brother James was the only one of their children to survive him. He had outlived his twin brother Thomas by over 4 years. He was survived by his four sons and over 30 grandchildren, as well as several great-grandchildren.
The children Of Charles EATHER and Ann nee Cain GOUGH nee CAIN:-
1.Charles EATHER b: May 1825 Richmond, NSW. d: 7 September 1899 at Blackall, Queensland. m. Frances Emma WATT 1829-1866. In the early 1890's he moved to Queensland to live and his many decendants have since made the name familiar in that state. Although by trade a cabinetmaker, he spent much of his life in Farming.
Charles age 74 died at the Blackall Hospital from the effects of arsenic poisoning. He was camped at Ravensbourne Station at Blackall and it was supposed that arsenic was accidently mixed with the flour supplied by the station. Several others in the same camp were taken ill after eating damper made with the flour.
His children of the marriage between he and Emma WATT were:-
Edward Charles EATHER 1850 1937 never married
John James EATHER 18521920 m. 1. Victoria TAYLOR 2. Emma YATES
Frances Emma Eather 18541946 m. Henry Alban GRAY
Albert E EATHER 1857 1857
Maria W EATHER 18581939 m. Charles Frederick ROSE
Louisa EATHER 1860 1860
Charles Olenzo EATHER 18641949 m. Emma ORBORNE
Next Charles 1825 had a relationship with Maria NORRIS, the children of this relationship were:-
Annie EATHER 1867 1867
Emily EATHER 1867
Lavinia Eliza EATHER 18681955 m. Hugh MCINTOSH
Frederick Charles EATHER 1872 m. Ellen RICE
Eva Louise EATHER 1881
Ada Florence EATHER 1883 1958
Frances Emma 1854-1936, had married Captain Henry Alban Gray, a ship's pilot in Sydney, and they seem to have led the migration to Queensland for they were living at Bundaburg in 1889. In that year, Mrs. Gray's sister, Lavinia Eather, visited them and met another shipping man, Capt. Hugh McIntosh from Aberdeenshire, Scotland, whom she married at Bundaberg on 26 December 1889
2.Thomas EATHER b: 1828 Hawkesbury, died 14 November 1916 at Windsor, NSW. m.(1).Emma Mary STAPLES 1828-1867 Emma and all but Charles died in the 1867 Flood of the Hawkesbury
The children of this marriage were:-
Charles Frederick EATHER 18511885 m. Mary Ann MCKELLAR 1857-1925 his stepmother's youngest sister.
Ann Emma EATHER 1853 1867
Elizabeth Frances EATHER 1856 1867
James Rowley EATHER 1856 1867
Angelina EATHER 1862 1867
Emma Maud Mary EATHER 1865 1867
(2) Thomas next married Caroline Margaret MCKELLAR 1847-1915 the children of this marriage were:-
Thomas EATHER 18701944 m. Lillian Elizabeth BRADLEY
Arthur E EATHER 1872 1916
George William EATHER 18751961 m. Maria HOLLAND 1864-1931
Henrietta EATHER 1877 1878
William Henry EATHER 18791968 m. Hilda M MAHONEY 1892-1926
Harry EATHER 1881 1945
Leslie James EATHER 18831940 m. Charlotte Matilda HANN 1890-1967
Alice Maud EATHER 18851965 m. Francis Joseph PYE 1883-1974
3.Frances EATHER 1833 1869 m. John BATEMAN the children of this marriage were:-
John H Bateman 18591926 m Josephine M F DOWNES 1870-1942
George Bateman 1862 1945
4.William EATHER 1833 Richmond, NSW d: 8 September 1899 Rockdale, Sydney. married;
(1) Catherine MCMAHON 1831-1867 Catherine and All their children their children apart from John died in the Hawkesbury flood of 1867.
The children from this marriage were:-
Mary Ann Eather 1856 1867
Catherine Eather 1858 1867
Charles Eather 1860 1867
John Eather 1862 1866
Clara Teresa Eather 1864 1867
William Vincent Eather 1866 1867
(2) On the 2 September 1869,William next married Emma DODD 1830-1911. The daughter of Johh DODD and Isabella BEVITT. Emma was the widow of Joseph JASPER 1807-1862 who had been killed when a heavily laden dray he was driving ran over him at Green Swamp near Mudgee leaving Emma with 9 children.
William EATHER and Emma had only the one child:-
Sarah Eather 1871 1872
A further act of tragedy played out for William, for he met a violent death, when he was run down and killed by a locomotive at Rockdale railway station.
5.George EATHER b:1834 Richmond, NSW died 17 May 1912 Richmond m. Dorothy 'Dora' Kinsela 1839-1915 the youngest child of Martin KINSELA 1793-1860 and Ellen HENDLING 1794-1862. George and Dora were married at St.Matthews Catholic Church Windsor on the 17 April 1860.
The children from this marriage were:-
Louisa Eather 18611950 m. Arthur Frederick CARR 1872-1936
Arthur G Eather 18621901 m. Florence HUNT
Helen Eather 1864 ?
Walter Leslie Eather 1865 1940
James William Eather 18671949 m. Sarah H WRIGHT 1874-1952
Ambrose M Eather 1869 1941
Emma M Eather 18721961 m. Allan MCNIVEN 1872-1949
Florence Ann Eather 1873 1901
George Raphael Eather 1875 1877
Henry V Eather 1877 1878
Dorothy May Eather 1879 1924 m. Richard Thomas FAHY 1886-1969
Charles George Eather 1881 1881
6.Rosina EATHER 13 December 1836 (birth reg. Rosina GOUGH) 1875 Rosina died of liver disease after a long illness on the 20 January 1875 at Windsor. m. Alfred DALTON 1830-XXXX
The children from this marriage were:-
Lavinia Ann Dalton 1857
William Henry Dalton 1862 1919
Linda Rosina Dalton 1862
Sloper Edwin Dalton 1865
Alfred Ernest Dalton 1868
The children of Ann GOUGH, nee CAIN and James GOUGH 1791-1876:-
1.James Alexander Gough 1815 1898 m. Amelia Brinchley WARD 1820-1872 the daughter of Michael Hanley Thompson WARD 1788-1859 and Sophia Jane CROLSTON 1788-1874. James and Amelia married in the Presbyterian church at Pitt Town on the 8 January 1838.
The children from this marriage were:-
Sophia J Gough 1838
James Alexander Gough 1841 1923
Harriett Gough 1846
John T Gough 1850
Charles Edward Gough 1852 1921
Amelia A Gough 1854
William G Gough 1857 1857
Emily J Gough 1858 1872
Victoria L Gough 1862 1863
2.Mary Gough 1817 1890 m. Edward ROBERTS 1813-1890 The children from this marriage were:-
William Roberts 1836
Ann Roberts 1837 1914
Kezia Roberts 1838 1920
Maria Roberts 1840 1913
Robert Roberts 1843 1909
John Roberts 1845 1913
George Edward Roberts 1849 1930
Edward Richard Roberts 1851 1899
Henry Roberts 1852 1935
Mary Jane Roberts 1856 1887
Charles James Roberts 1859 1942
Laura Luoisa Roberts 1861 1945
3.Alexander Gough 1819 1885 m. (1)Jane ROBINSON 1820-1853 The children from this marriage were:-
Emily Gough 1839
Jane Gough 1840 1841
John Gough 1842 1912
Alexander R. Gough 1845
Ann Gough 1848
James Gough 1851 1910
(2) Alexander next married Elizabeth WALKER 1840-1899 The children from this marriage were:-
Louise Gough 1860 1943
Jane Gough 1862
Letetia Gough 1865 1927
William Gough 1867 1945
Charles A Gough 1871 1943
Sarah Gough 1873
Emily Matilda Gough 1876 1943
Edith Ellen Gough 1878 1937
George Samuel Gough 1881 1940
4.Louisa Gough 1820 1897 m. George FORRESTER 1821-1878 on the 25 Feb. 1839 at Portland Head, NSW. The children of this marriage were:-
Henry F Forrester 1839 1853
William James Forrester 1841 1913
Robert H Forrester 1850 1915
Fanny Forrester 1853 1854
George Henry Albert Forrester 1857 1861
5.Ann Gough 1821 1822
6.Elizabeth Gough b:1 December 1822 Sydney. d:1865 Mittagong m. Richard SOUTH 1814-1851 on the 10 December 1841 at St.Andrews Scots Church, Sydney
7.Phoebe Gough TWIN 1823 1905 m. Dio BALDWIN 1818-1878 The children from this marriage were:-
Elizabeth Baldwin 1843
Mary Ann Baldwin 1845 1884
Louisa Baldwin 1846 1851
Emily Baldwin 1848 1892
Henry Baldwin 1850 1920
Edwin Baldwin 1852 1852
Phoebe Baldwin 1854 1938
Wellow Baldwin 1858 1930
William Wynn Baldwin 1860 1944
Georgina Baldwin 1862
Victoria A Baldwin 1866 1947
8.Stephen Gough TWIN 1823 1863 died in Hobart ?
Ann Cain Married in the name Ann Fraites to James Goff
Reg no. v18172006 3A/1817 by Reverend Samuel Marsden at St John's C of E Parramatta.
Charles had earn't the nickname 'Holy GO'
Charles was my third great grand uncle.
written by Janilye© using research notes from newspapers, Hawkesbury Family records, my own family records and several sources within the Eather family and the Society of Genealogists Australia
Alt Ancestral Ref#: 1SGN-D8L S.O.G aust.
The son of Charles Eather 1800-1891 and Ann CAIN 1797-1871
Charles Eather was born at Richmond, New South Wales in May 1825 and married twice. His first wife was Frances Emma WATT 1829-1866 whom he married on the 3 December 1849, at the Wesleyan Methodist Church in Windsor.
His second wife was Mrs. Maria SOMMERS nee NORRIS, Maria was the daughter of Patrick NORRIS 1823-1890 and Eliza WILSON 1827-1905. They married in Queensland in 1868. Maria's first husband had been George Sydney SOMMERS 1840-1918 with whom she had one son -George Patrick Sommers born in Cornwallis in 1865 and died in 1948.
In the early 1890's Charles moved to Queensland to live and his many decendants have since made the name familiar in that state. Although by trade a cabinetmaker, he spent much of his life in Farming. have since made the name familiar in that state. Although by trade a cabinetmaker, he spent much of his life in Farming.
Charles age 74 died at the Blackall Hospital from the effects of arsenic poisoning. He was camped at Ravensbourne Station at Blackall and it was supposed that arsenic was accidently mixed with the flour supplied by the station. Several others in the same camp were taken ill after eating damper made with the flour
One of his daughters, Frances Emma, 1854-1866. had married Captain Henry Alban Gray, a ship's pilot in Sydney, and they seem to have led the migration to Queensland for they were living at Bundaburg in 1889. In that year, Mrs. Gray's half sister, Lavinia Eather b:1869 visited them and met another shipping man, Capt. Hugh McIntosh whom she married at Bundaberg on 26 December 1889.
The children of Charles EATHER 1825-1899 and Frances Emma, nee WATTS were:-
1.Edward Charles EATHER 1850 1937 a saddler, never married, died on Stradbroke Iseland.
2.John James EATHER 1852 1920
3.Frances Emma Eather 1854 1946
4.Albert E EATHER 1857 1857
5.Maria W EATHER 18581939 m. Charles Frederick ROSE in 1882.
6.Louisa EATHER 1860 1860
7.Charles Olinzo EATHER b: 1864 d: 2 June 1949, Petersham. m. Emma Ellen OBORNE 1866-1943 at Penrith in 1886.
The Children of Charles EATHER 1825-1899 and Maria NORRIS 1844-1891:-
1.Annie EATHER 1867 1867
2. Emily EATHER 1867
3. Lavinia Eliza EATHER 1868 1955
4. Frederick Charles EATHER 1872 m. Ellen RICE 1872-1938
5. Eva Louise EATHER 1881
6. Ada Florence EATHER 1883 1958