janilye on Family Tree Circles

sort: Date Alphabetical
view: full | list

Journals and Posts

Charles Eather 1827-1891

Charles EATHER, My second great grandfather was the third child and second son of Thomas EATHER 1800-1885 and Sarah nee McALPIN, was born at Bulga 24 October 1827. In 1884 his parents moved back to Richmond, and it is there he grew up. He may have attended the little school in Francis Street, and used to help out on his father's farm near Richmond.
In 1840 he was an apprentice and apparently he absented himself from work on some occasions.
On 17 October 1840 he was charged in the court at Windsor with "having absconded himself". The case was settled. The trade in which he was apprenticed is not known and it is very doubtful that he completed it. His interests seem to have been associated with the land, and in his later teens he undoubtedly would have visited the family property "Henriendi", his father's station on the Namoi River, and there gained further valuable skills in grazing cattle and sheep and some knowledge of station management.
On 30 August 1848, shortly before he turned twenty-one, Charles married Eliza HOUGH, age twenty-two, the daughter of the late Peter HOUGH 1776-1833 and his wife Mary (nee WOOD) of Richmond. Eliza was the seventh of the nine children of Peter and Mary and had been born at Richmond. She and Charles had known each other since childhood. Her father had been born at Paris in France in 1776, but at the age of 19 years had been charged with stealing money and silverware from St Paul's Coffee Shop in London, where he had been employed. He was acquitted of this charge, but in 1797 he had been sentenced to transportation after a second offence, and arrived at Sydney on the ship "Hillsborough" in July 1799. He had married Mary WOOD, daughter of John WOOD 1768-1845 and Ann MATTHEWS, and all except the last of their children had been born at Richmond. Peter HOUGH had died in March 1833 when Eliza was seven. Her sister Ann was married to Charles's cousin, William ONUS. For about twelve years after-their marriage Charles and Eliza seem to have resided on the Hawkesbury, and then they went to live at "Henriendi" on the Liverpool Plains. Their first eight children were born in the Hawkesbury district, mostly at Richmond. The first to have been born on the Liverpool Plains was their ninth child, born in 1863.
Altogether during the first seventeen years of their marriage, ten children were born to them and all except one son survived infancy and lived to marry and have children in the next generation of EATHERS.
During the 1850's Charles probably assisted his father in his farming pursuits at Richmond and undoubtedly journeyed from time to time to "Henriendi". The size of that station increased over the years. In 1849 it was 15 square miles, but by 1853 it had been extended to an area of 25 square miles. In 1854 it was grazing 1,000 cattle. The annual rental at that time was £15/0/0.
In the late 1850's Charles's brother William Eather 1832-1915 and his wife Ann took up residence there.
On the 14 September at Richmond, another son and eighth child, Joseph Hiorns Rutter Eather was born, named after his uncle Joseph Hiorns RUTTER the son of Dr. Robert Champley RUTTER of Parramatta. 1861 Charles was given the station by his father.
It was just after the birth of Joseph that Charles moved his household to the Liverpool Plains.
On the 30 June 1863 Eliza gave birth to Alfred McAlpin at 'Henriendi'.
In 1865 at 'Henriendi' the tenth and last child of Charles and Eliza, Minnie was born, she was only five years old when her mother died. At age thirty she married Methodist minister Walter J WALKER 1868-1936 at Richmond in 1895 they moved to Bourke where their first child Gladys was born and then to Cowra where their second daughter Jessie was born. In 1908 Walter J WALKER was transferred to South Australia. Minni Hilton WALKER, nee EATHER died on the 3 May 1955 in South Australia.
The births of the last two children were registered at Tamworth, which was probably at that time the nearest centre on the Liverpool Plains where births, deaths and marriages could be registered. The births took place at "Henriendi".
The 1860's were important years for Charles, when he expanded his grazing interests. Settlement extended out beyond Bourke on the Darling River and runs were being taken up on the Warrego, Paroo and Bulloo Rivers in the south-west of the new colony of Queensland.
In 1864 the township of Cunnamulla. sprang into being on the Warrego River. By 1866 Charles EATHER had several runs on the Warrego. They included "Gumanally," "Back Bullinbillian" and "Back Moongonoo." In addition he held the lease of "Pinegolba," a run next door to "Henriendi" on Cox's Creek. Charles was well-known on the Liverpool Plains and had the nickname of "King of the Namoi".
In 1867, James EATHER, uncle of Charles and youngest brother of his father, then in his mid-fifties, left the Hawkesbury district and moved with his wife and some members of his family to the Liverpool Plains and obtained a part-interest in "Henriendi". About the same time, another of Charles's brothers, John Roland, who was age 24 years and still single, joined them on the station. Also living on the run or near by was yet another brother, Peter. With him were his wife and children. In 1868 there were no fewer than eight other men employed on the station. By then times were becoming hard for the graziers. Charles was grazing a large flock of sheep on "Henriendi" in addition to his large herd of cattle. Severe droughts persisted and pastoralists were faced with mounting problems, especially when the prices of wool and sheep slumped sharply. James EATHER's connection with "Henriendi" was short-lived.
By 1870 he had moved to land that he had purchased at Maine's Creek, a tributary of the Namoi River a few miles away to the north.

In the midst of these financial problems, tragedy struck Charles. He had taken Eliza down to Richmond for a holiday over the Christmas period and they were staying with Charles's parents at the "Union Inn". According to oral family history, on New Years Eve 1870, Eliza was reading a telegram when she died suddenly. She was only 45 years of age. Charles was left with nine children ranging in ages from twenty-one to five. He was faced with the unpleasant task of notifying Eliza's 77 year-old mother that her daughter had passed away. His affairs were about to crash and William Thomas Price, the undertaker who provided her with an expensive funeral, was one of the disappointed creditors still awaiting payment of their accounts months later.

Back at "Henriendi" in 1871, Charles was joined there by yet another relative. He was Samuel EATHER Junior, a second cousin of Charles and his brothers. Then in his mid-thirties, Samuel had grown up in the Hunter Valley near Warkworth. In that year 1871 Charles was pasturing 6,000 sheep, 500 head of cattle and 150 horses on the run, which was then a station of 32,000 acres (12,800 hectares), but before the year was out financial problems caught up with him and he became bankrupt. His eldest son, Henry Charles, was placed in charge of "Henriendi", "Pinegolba" and "Gumanally." There is a family legend that Charles's eldest brother Thomas, whose home was at Bulga, soon took over the responsibility of "Henriendi". If this was so, it was a situation which lasted only a few years, as by 1876 "Henriendi" was in the hands of one John Kerr CLARK, who was also the leaseholder of another run, "Gullenddaddy" (or "Ghoolindaadi") which adjoined the southern boundary of "Henriendi". By then "Henriendi" had been reduced in area to 11,920 acres (4,768 hectares) and was grazing 2,000 sheep.

The EATHER family had lost the historic station some forty-odd years after Thomas EATHER had established it in 1832. After 1870/71 the name of Charles EATHER no longer appeared amongst the "Henriendi" names on the Electoral Roll. His sons Henry Charles and Edwin had, by 1876, taken out the lease of another Liverpool Plains run "Norfolk", which had an area of 40,000 acres (16,000 hectares) and established themselves there. At some stage prior to 1882 the Liverpool Plains was divided into parishes and "Henriendi" became part of the Parish of Baan Baa. Parish maps record the names of the original purchasers of freehold portions in the respective parishes. That of the Parish of Baan Baa reveals that at some time in the 1860's Charles EATHER had bought a block of 135 acres (54 hectares) upon which the "Henriendi" homestead stood. He had also purchased an adjoining block of 137 acres 2 roods (55 hectares). Both blocks had frontage to the Namoi River. This had been a very wise move on Charles EATHER's part. Holding "Henriendi" as a Crown Land Pastoral Lease, he faced the ongoing fear that he might lose part of the run to "free selectors". By purchasing the blocks as freehold land he had been protecting himself from losing valuable river frontage. When the Parish of Baan Baa was surveyed into portions, the two blocks which Charles had bought became Portions 1 and 2 in the parish. Most of the remainder of "Henriendi" was surveyed into 24 rectangular portions of varying areas, and allocated the numbers 20 to 43 inclusive. John Kerr CLARK had purchased much of the station during the period that he had held the lease from 1876. The parish map records his name on no fewer than 17 of the other 24 portions that had been the "Henriendi" run. He had also purchased two other portions further north in the Pariah. Charles EATHER would have had his two freehold blocks taken away from him by the bankruptcy administrators in 1871, and it is likely that John Ken CLARK purchased them too.

In the years following the loss of his station in 1871, Charles EATHER had a number of occupations and probably spent more time in the Richmond district.
On 4 January 1876, at the age of 48, he remarried. His bride on this occasion was Martha Mary RIDGE 1843-1920, age 32 years, the daughter of John RIDGE 1815-1867 and his wife Charlotte Margaret, nee COBCROFT 1820-1906. Martha had been born in Wilberforce and had lived in the Hawkesbury district for many years The wedding was held at Windeyer.

Charles entered into a new occupation in 1878 when his younger sister Sarah 1834-1926 who married William EATON 1828-1906, decided to relinquish the licence of "Eaton's Hotel" at Muswellbrook. Charles took out a publican's licence and became the new licensee of the hotel, which had been owned by Thomas COOK since 1872. Hard times seem to have continued for Charles during the period that he was the proprietor of "Eaton's Hotel", and he sometimes found it difficult to pay his bills on time. 1n 1879 he made out a promissory note in favour of one D EVANS for the sum of £80/16/- ($161.60), but the Commercial Bank at Muswellbrook, where he had an account, dishonoured it because of lack of funds in his account. Over two years later the sum of approximately £22 ($44) of the amount was still outstanding and Sarah EATON received a letter dated 15 February 1882 from a Muswellbrook solicitor, notifying her that, if the sum was not paid within seven days, proceedings would be taken against her. Apparently she settled the debt on behalf of her brother.

While Charles and Martha were running the hotel at Muswellbrook, a son was born to them in 1880. He was named Donald. At the end of that year Charles relinquished his publican's licence and evidently he took Martha and their baby son to the Narrabri district. There in 1883 a daughter, Emily Matilda, was born. They were still residing in the same district when their infant daughter died in 1885.

In his later years Charles lived with Martha and their children in the Narrabri district. Charles was a very popular figure in the developing town, where he was a supporter of local activities, especially those related to the Namoi Jockey Club. By then he was referred to as "old Charley EATHER", the name a household word. A sportsman of the old school, At one time he was an untiring habitue of racecourses, but advancing years made his expeditions somewhat circumscribed, and he was contented with doing a little handicapping and the mild excitement to be derived on country convincing grounds. The old man had the reputation of being one of the best starters in Australia.

Following his death on 2 November 1891 at the age of 65 years, Charles was buried in the Narrabri Cemetery where his friends erected an imposing monument on his grave in Narrabri Cemetery, adding to the usual details the sanguine remark;

"Praises on tombstones are idly spent, His good name is a monument"

Death of Mr. Charles Eather.
Obituary fron the Narrabri Herald, 4 November 1891

On Monday evening last, about 6 p.m., after a long and painful illness, there passed over to the great majority one of the pioneers of the Namoi, a man who for upwards of forty years had made the north-west his home, and seen many changes and vicissitudes.
One who at one time was owner of vast tracts of country with every promise of an old age passed in ease and affluence, and one who had endeared himself to all who had the privilege of his acquaintance-better still, of his friendship. Such an one was Charles Eather, who passed quietly away at the age of 64 years, on Monday evening. Tended to the last by loving and kind friends, his slightest wish was anticipated; and surrounded by his relatives and a host of friends, he "passed to the bourne whence there is no returning." Many a good and earnest man may yet make a name for himself on the Namoi, but out of the limits of the present generation the memory of the true sterling friend who has just left us will never depart.
The funeral, which left the deceased's late residence at 4 p.m. yesterday afternoon, was the most largely attended yet seen in Narrabri, the cortege measurirg fully a third of a mile in length, and was composed of all the principal people of the town and district. The pall-bearers, all old and tried friends of the deceased, were Messrs. J. Moseley, J. M McDonald, W. H. Gordon, James Ward, sen., R. Spencer, and E. Poole. The coffin, which was of beautifully polished cedar, was almost covered with flowers.
The whole of the business places in town were closed during the progress of the procession through the streets, and at the grave the burial service was very impressively read by the Rev. W. J. Walker.

His widow Martha survived him by many years In 1898 she took in Colin Charles Eather the 4 year old son of her stepson Alfred McAlpin EATHER and Theresa nee LOVELEE and raised him as her own after Theresa died and Alfred left the district. Martha known as May died at Boggabri in 1920.

The children of Charles EATHER and Eliza, nee HOUGH were:_

1.Henry Charles EATHER 1849 1942
married Lucina Sarah J RIDGE 1857-1936 at Gunnedah on the 23 May 1877
The children of this matrriage were:-
Frederick Charles Eather 1878 1917 m. Nellie PONT 1880-1953
Bertram Henry Thomas Eather 1881 1965 m. Sarah May Damaris FRATER 1887-1979
Leslie Gordon Eather 1884 1969 m. Ivy Josephine KELLY 1889-1971
Royston Clark Eather 1888 1891
Olive Eather 1890 1978 m. Victor S HUGO
Elsie May Eather 1899 1964 m Wilfred Rupert TAYLOR
Eric Vaughan Eather 1901 1930 m. Amy Edwards

2.Peter Thomas EATHER 1850 1851

3.Edwin EATHER 1852 1890
married Catherine Agnes TURNER 1855-1933 at Gunnedah on the 14 April 1877.
The children of this marriage were:-
William Charles EATHER 1878 1878
Vera Eliza EATHER 1879 1940 married Thomas BURT 1875-1950
Alexander Munro EATHER 1880 1965 m. Ethel May MILLS 1890-1953
Blanche Marion EATHER 1883 1940 m. Albert Edward HEAGNEY 1881-1912
Emily Gertrude EATHER 1885 1967 m. Francis John THUELL 1893-1077
Joseph Mark Eather 1887 1971 m. Dorothy Maude HOLBOROW 1897-1944
Edwin Royce EATHER 1889 1945 m. Mabel Isabel JONES 1901-1971

4.Mary Ann EATHER 1854 1943
married James Thomas BRACKENREG 1852-1922 at Muswellbrook on the 29 April 1879.
The children of this marriage were:-
James Carrington Brackenreg 1880 1957 m. Helen Jane PERFREMENT 1883-1964
Linda Pearle Brackenreg 1881 1965 m. Alexander EATHER 1878-1942

5.Susannah Elizabeth EATHER 1856 1937
married Percy Charles CORNWELL 1853-1909 at Richmond on the 15 December 1875.
The children of this marriage were:-
Ila Eliza Cornwell 1876
Frederick Charles Cornwell 1878 1878
Alfred Abraham Cornwell 1879 1953 Blanche Stella CORNWELL 1881-1968
Frank Eather Cornwell 1881 1884
Theo Ernest Cornwell 1883 1947 m. Mabel Georgina ROONEY 1885-1961
Joseph Athol Cornwell 1886 1966 m. Ruby Ethel HUDSON 1892-1978

6.Matilda Sarah EATHER 1858 1941
married Alexander Munro COUSINS 1854-1923 at Muswellbrook on the 23 November 1888.
The children of this marriage were:-
Glencairn Munro Cousins 1883 1941 m. Ruby Ada Beryl DUNSTAN
Royston C Cousins 1885 1885
Alexander Munro Cousins 1887 1946 m. Marjorie Agnes R TOWNSEND
Ardersier M Cousins 1889 1963 m. Gladys Elvina DENNE 1892-1961

7.Eliza EATHER 1860 1944
married Lieut.Col. Walter BAXTER 1862-1928 at Patricks Plain on the 15 July 1886.
The children of this marriaGE were:-
Minna Baxter 1887 1928 m. Arnold Chambers McKIBBIN 1885-1951
Beatrice Eliza Baxter 1889 1974 m. Harold John MOORE
Victoria Baxter 1891
Thelma Merle Baxter 1904 1954 m. Alfred Ernest Herbert LANE

8.Joseph Hiorns Rutter EATHER 1861 1884
married Clara RIDGE 1860-1941 at Richmond on the 6 October 1861.
The children of this marriage were:-
Frank Hilton Eather 1883 1917 r. Blanche M MORTIMER 1878-1913
Martha Ridge Eather 1885 1970

9.Alfred McAlpin EATHER 1863 1915
married Theresa LOVELEE 1865-1898 at Narrabri on the 25 December 1891.
The children of this marriage were:-
Alfred Charles EATHER 1892 1892
Colin Charles EATHER 1894 1966 m. Sarah Josephine McKEE 1894-1937
Kenneth Thomas McAlpin EATHER 1896 1898
Ernest Herbert Edward EATHER 1898 1898
Infant twin Stillborn EATHER 1898 1898

10.Minnie Hilton EATHER 1865 1955
married Rev. Walter John WALKER 1868-1936 at Richmond in 1895.
The children of this marriage were:-
Gladys Eileen Walker 1896 1934 in Adelaide the result of a car accident
Jessie Winifred Walker 1898 1988 m. Hurtle Peter ROWE 1897-1983 at Ashfield, nsw in 1923.

The children of Charles EATHER and Martha Mary, nee Ridge were:-

1.Donald EATHER 1880 1954
married Gertrude Mary Eliza McGRATH 1886-1953 at Boggabri on the 23 February 1910.
The children of this marriage were:-
John Ridge Eather 1910 1976 m. Marjorie Lydia Bateman FORRESTER 1913-1982
Percival Thomas Eather 1915 1975 m. Marjorie Ethel BRETT

2.Emily Matilda EATHER 1883 1885

I wish to acknowledge The Eather Family History Committee and in particular,
John St.Pierre for the early research and history, which enabled me to compile the above.
I have changed very little, apart from a few minor corrections and additions - having been, in the past, elusive; particularly surrounding the genealogy. I have discovered several facts previously unknown and
for that I wish to thank technology and my ancestors for passing down to me, "Tenacity" - janilye©

The photograph below of Charles EATHER taken about 1885
was donated to the Eather Family History Committee
by Jan Yelland

Charles Pugsley 1850-1884 Inquest Sydney NSW

28 November 1884

The City Coroner, Mr. H. Shiell, J.P. held an inquest at the Agricultural Hall, in the Domain, yesterday, on the body of a drayman named Charles Pugsley, who died in the Sydney Hospital on Wednesday night from injuries he received through a dray passing over his body on the Botany-road.

William Pugsley, of 143, Botany street, Waterloo,
deposed : The dead body just viewed is that of my brother Charles; he was 34 years of age, and a native of Barnstaple, Devonshire, England ; he was a married man, and has left a widow and seven children; he has lately been employed as a drayman by Geddes Brothers, woolwashers ; he was of températe habits.

Edward Roberts, butcher,of Kent-street,
deposed: On Wednesday evening last, about 7 o'clock, I was driving from Botany towards Sydney, when I saw a trolly laden with bales of wool and drawn by three horses approaching me; the driver was sitting on a bale of wool on the near side of the trolly; a tram passd along at the time, and the horses appeared to be somewhat frightened; the driver then tried to get ahead of a couple of cabs, and in doing so one of the front wheels of the trolly seemed to catch in the tramline; directly the wheel caught in the metal the man was jerked from his seat, and fell to the ground; the hind wheel of the vehicle passed over the upper portion of his body ; he was quite unconscious when he was picked up; I assisted to convey him to the Sydney Hospital.

The medical testimony showed that death was caused by internal haemorrhage, which was the result of external violence.

John Lovett, of Margaret-street, off Botany-road, witnessed the accident to Pugsley, and stated that the man was on his right side at the time of the occurrence, but that while trying to get more into the centre of the roadway his wheel caught in the rail and the waggon slid along for a short distance, throwing him off the vehicle. The witness gave it as his opinion that the tram-rail was about an inch above the level of the road.

The jury, after consideration, returned a verdict to the effect that Pugsley came to his death through falling off a waggon on the Botany road; and further, that such death was accidental; it was brought about through the wheel of his vehicle sliding along the tram-rail, owing to the road being in a defective state at the time, the tram-rail being above its level.


THE FRIENDS of the late Mr. CHARLES PUGSLEY are respectfully invited to attend his Funeral ; to move from his late residence, Botany-road, Waterloo, THIS FRIDAY, at 2 o'clock, for the Necropolis.
J. and G. SHYING and CO., Undertakers, No. 8, George-street West, near Tooth's brewery, and 140, Liverpool-street.

THE FRIENDS of Mr. GEORGE PUGSLEY, Sen., are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of his late beloved SON, Mr. Charles; to move from his late residence, Botany-road, Waterloo, THIS FRIDAY, at 2 o'clock, for the Necropolis.
J. and G. SHYING and CO., Undertakers, No. 8, George-street West, near Tooth's brewery, and 140, Liverpool-st.

THE FRIENDS of GEORGE, WILLIAM, and JOHN PUGSLEY are respectfully invited to attend the Funeral of their late beloved BROTHER, Mr. Charles ; to move from his late residence, Botany-road, Waterloo, THIS FRIDAY, at 2 o'clock, for the Necropolis.
J. and G. SHYING and CO., Under- takers, No. 8, George-street West, and 140. Liverpool-street.

[From our own Correspondent.] Sydney, September 22.1885
In the Supreme Court to-day Martha Pugsley obtained a verdict against the Government for £1,340 for the loss of her husband. Charles Pugsley, by the tramway accident at Botany.

Charles PUGSLEY married Martha Elizabeth ROLFE at Redfern, Sydney, NSW in 1870

Children of the marriage were:-


Charlotte EATHER 1797-1862

The many decendants through this female line include links with very well known Hawkesbury families - MARKWELL, FARLOW, DEVLIN and MCQUADE. It appears, too, that Elizabeth and Jane, two of the children of Robert and Charlotte WILLIAMS, married into the EATON family, already allied through the ONUS connection,( Ben RICHARDS, son of Mary Ann EATON, married Elizabeth WILLIAMS and Susannah EATON, daughter of Daniel EATON, married James WILLIAMS.

Charlotte EATHER Daughter of Thomas EATHER 1764-1827 and Elizabeth LEE 1771-1860, was born on the 5 June 1797.
At the age of twenty Charlotte gave birth to a daughter Mary Ann WINDSOR 1817-1791. Little is known about her father Joseph WINDSOR apart from his name on Mary Ann's Christening record. Mary Ann although born WINDSOR was raised as Mary Ann WILLIAMS.

On the 24 August 1818 at Windsor, Charlotte married Robert WILLIAMS the son of Robert WILLIAMS born in England in 1765 and married Ekizabeth YOUNG born 1765 at Parramatta on the 11 September 1791.
When son RObert was 19 months old his mother Elizabeth was murdered by a neighbour at 'The Ponds' Parramatta. Robert's father died on the 8 July 1811.
So when Robert and Charlotte were married Robert had no living relatives, he had inherited his father's property of 60 acres of land at Castlereagh.

In partnership with Joseph Onus Robert Williams began to send cattle across the mountains to the Hunter River district where they established a run of 1,000 acres near the junction of Wollombi Brook and Parson's Creek, in the Bulga area.

It is a gauge of Robert Williams prosperity that in 1828 he was in control of 1200 acres of land, 13 horses, 400 head of cattle and 200 sheep.
The children of Charlotte and Robert Williams were:-

1.Mary Ann WILLIAMS 18171891 m. William FREEMAN 1812-1881

2.Robert Eather WILLIAMS 18191899 m. Mary Ann Williams 1819-1911

3.Elizabeth WILLIAMS 1821 1896 m. Benjamin RICHARDS 1818-1898

4.Thomas WILLIAMS 1824 1888 m. Jane CRIBB 1826-1873

5.Ann Eather WILLIAMS 18261882 m. Thomas George MARKWELL 1826-1908

6.James Eather WILLIAMS 18291913 m. Susannah EATON 1831-1916

7.Charles EATHER WILLIAMS 18311887 m. Sarah CRIBB 1831-1898

8.Charlotte WILLIAMS 18341918 m. Peter EATHER 1831-1911

9.John WILLIAMS 18361917 m. Maria Elizabeth FARLOW 1843-1923

10.George Eather WILLIAMS 18381887 m. Elizabeth Janet BRAND 1855-1911

Robert WILLIAMS died on the 28 November 1839 at Agnes Banks, Richmond.

On the 17 April 1841 Charlotte WILLIAMS nee EATHER married William James MALONEY 1818-1883. William was only 23 when he married Charlotte, 21 years his senior. Charlotte, from her previous marriage had been left a very rich widow. William signed a Deed of separation from Charlotte on the 6th August 1850 registered with the Supreme Court of NSW.

Charlotte WILLIAMS, nee EATHER died on the 8 November 1862 at Richmond. She is buried at St.Peter's Church of England Cemetery, Richmond, New South Wales.

Below is a photograph of daughter Charlotte WILLIAMS 1834-1918 holding one of her granddaughters. taken at Boggabri around 1910

Charlotte Eather 1836-1888

Charlotte EATHER, the eighth child and fourth daughter of Thomas EATHER 1800-1886 and Sarah, nee McALPIN 1805-1884, was born at Richmond in the Hawkesbury district of New South Wales on 12 October 1836. She was baptised at Richmond on 18 December 1836. At that time her parents were residing in the "Union Inn" in Windsor Street, Richmond and her father was the publican there. Charlotte EATHER spent her childhood and teenage years at Richmond amongst her many sisters and brothers and their numerous relatives and friends. She undoubtedly had formal schooling and on Sundays attended church services in St Peter's Church with other members of her family. When she was twenty Charlotte EATHER was married to Laban Thomas GUEST on 3 December 1856. The groom, who was usually known as Thomas, had been born at Richmond on 18 July 1835, the eldest son in the family of fourteen children of George GUEST 1811-1893 and his wife, Jane,nee WHITE 1817-1865.
George GUEST had been born at Sevenoaks in Kent in 1811 and had arrived in New South Wales in 1832. He was a saddler by trade and had set himself up in business, firstly at Windsor and later at Richmond, where he was the proprietor of a tannery. In 1834 he married Jane WHITE, daughter of Laban WHITE, a prominent business man in the Hawkesbury district. George GUEST had shown enthusiastic support for St Peter's Church at Richmond when it was being established in the 1840's and had been generous in making financial donations towards the cost of timber for the building. Although a well respected businessman, George GUEST is probably best remembered as a sportsman, particularly for his prowess as a cricketer and a rifle shot.
During his teenage years Laban Thomas GUEST had served an apprenticeship as a saddler with his father.
Charlotte and Thomas GUEST didn't remain in the Richmond district for very long after their marriage. They moved to the Hunter Valley and were residing in the Maitland district when their first child was born in 1857. They were still there in July 1858, but by the time their second child was born in January 1859 they were at Muswellbrook. In 1863 Laban Thomas GUEST became publican of The Starof The North at Chain of Ponds, in the Muswellbrook district.
At that time Charlotte's sister Sarah was living at Muswellbrook, where her husband, William EATON, was the proprietor of the "White Hart" Inn, so there they were amongst relatives. They remained in the Muswellbrook district for about eight years. Their fifth child was born at Liddell in April 1867.
Between then and September 1869 they moved further up the valley to Murrurundi and lived there for at least the next eight years. The births of their last four children were all registered at Murrurundi.
Charlotte and Thomas Guest had nine children: It would appear that at some date between 1876 and 1885 Tom and Charlotte GUEST moved from Murrurundi to Gunnedah on the Namoi River. It was at Gunnedah that their third daughter, Sarah Jane, died on 25 August 1885 at the age of fifteen. Soon after this sad event the family moved to Tamworth.
Thomas was always one step ahead of the railway. There was a saying around for years, that if you saw Thomas building an hotel in town you could bet the railway was on it's way. Hence the many moves.
Charlotte died in Peel Street, Tamworth on 17 March 1888. She was only 51 years of age, and Tom was left with a family of seven, three of whom were still teenagers. Soon after the death of his wife, Tom and his family moved to Greta in the Hunter Valley about halfway between Singleton and Maitland. Son Lawson Charles married there in 1893, as did eldest daughter Ada Grace in 1899. Tom saw out his old age at Greta and died there on 5 September 1903.

The children of Laban Thomas GUESTand Charlotte nee EATHER :-

Thomas George Guest 1857 1858
Ada Grace Guest 1859 1922 m. Charles Francis PRUDAMES 1831-1909
Amy Eather Guest 1862 1932
Lawson Charles Guest 1864 1958 m. Sarah Thyra PHILLIPS 1872-1961
Walter Richmond Guest 1867 1956 m. Sarah Amelia BOYCE 1865-1946
Sarah Jane Guest 1869 1885
Edith Maud Guest 1871 1948 m. William Julian FORBES
Lancelot Arthur Guest 1873 1955 m. Delia Sarah YOUNGMAN
Kenneth Hilton Guest 1876 1953 m.Amelia Christina FORBES 1882-1946
note Kenneth Hilton Guest was the father of Kenneth Leslie DAY 1897-1973 but mother Phoebe Elizabeth May DAY 1879-1966 refused to marry him prior to Kenneth's birth. Kenneth was then reared as the Youngest Son of Phoebe's mother. Phoebe was always referred to as Aunty May.

The photograph below is Charlotte

3 comment(s), latest 3 years ago


This festival is not of divine institution or is it easy to assign the first period of observing it, although it was certainly kept before the age of Constantine.
Much uncertainty prevails with respect to the actual day of Christ's birth; it most probably took place at the time of the Feast of Tabernacles, judging from other events on record, but the season which the Church has fixed upon for its celebration, does not involve the credibility of the fact.
It was named Christmas Day from the Latin Christ Misse, the Mass of Christ, and thence the Roman Catholic Church termed the Liturgy their Missal or Mass Book, and among that sect, about the year 500, the observation or this day became general.
In the primitive Church, Christmas Day was always preceded by an Eve or Vigil; when the devotion of the Eve was completed, our forefathers used to light up candles of different sizes which were called Christmas candles; and to lay a log of wood upon the fire, called the Yule log.
A kind of baby or little image, intended to represent Jesus, and called the Yule-dough, was formerly made at this season, and presented by the bakers to their customers and in some parts of the northern counties of Britain, the people after service, would cry. " Ule, ule, ule," as a token of rejoicing and run through the streets calling,
" Ule, ule, ule, ule,
Three puddings in a pule,
Crack nuts and cry Ule."

Carols, formerly sung at this season of the year were festal chansons for enlivening the merriments of Christmas celebrity, and not such religious songs currently sung by people today under the same title of Carol, and which were substituted by those enemies of innocent and useful mirth, the Puritans.

The boar's head soused, was anciently the first dish on Christmas Day and was carried up to the principal table in the hall, with great state and solemnity, The Boar's Head Carol being sung at the time; the old song, with some variations, since the 15th century is still sung in Queen's College, Oxford, and sung annually on Christmas Day, when a boar's head is carved up as the chief dish.
These days we settle for ham.
Many Boar's Head festivals are held all over the world. This Boar's Head Fesitval held in 2010 is a preview for those who have not been to one.

The Great Barons and Knights throughout the kingdom of Great Britain, formerly kept open house during Christmas, when their villains or vassals were entertained with bread, beef, and beer, pudding and wassail cake.
A groat of silver was given to the guests when leaving.

The tradition of the silver groat or coin still remains in my own family, but with a little variation.
My christmas puddings which I make in the traditional way, as did my mother and several generations before her, on the 16 November, the feast day of St.Margaret of Scotland. It has always been on this day, for at the same time we celebrate our McAlpin Clan heritage.
I add to the puddings silver threepences and sixpences saved from the pre-decimal era, which I now have to buy back from those who are lucky enough to find one in their pudding. The little ones not minding at all about a swap for gold dollar coin.

May your Christmas be filled with joy and merriment, hope and fulfilment, family and friends and I wish you all kindness and contentment.
janilye, 2012

3 comment(s), latest 1 month, 1 week ago

Christmas ! not what it used to be

It is Christmas Day, Sunday, December 25, 1836. The heat is rather trying, 100 deg. in the shade. A number of immigrants, dressed in their best, and carrying their seats with them, are on their way to the rush hut of George Strickland in Kingston. There is no clergyman among the pioneers, but it is Christmas Day, and Sunday, so divine service must be held.
The 'gun' has already been fired intimating that the time for the service to begin has come. About 25 persons are present, all strangers in a Strange Land.
After the service, the pioneer fathers and mothers, with their children, walk back to their tents.
The sun is shining, and the birds are singing, but everything seems so strange. The previous Christmas was spent as every other Christmas had been, in the dear old motherland. It was cold and gloomy; but the yule log crackled and sparkled in the fireplace, the old home was decorated with holly. They had their Christmas dinner surrounded by the comforts of civilization.

This Christmas they are on the shores of an unknown country, living in tents and reed huts, with the heat 100 deg. in the shade. There is neither horse nor cart in the land; no baker nor butcher shops; no streets, houses, gardens, or churches. What the future has in store, these resolute men and women cannot tell. They have come to try a great experiment, to colonize a land which for ages has been shrouded in gloom.
We talk of our hardships to-day: but look at the founders, sitting down to their Christmas dinner in 1836. They are destitute not only of the luxuries, but of the very necessities of civilization.
The table is an extemporized one; the seats are boxes and packing cases; tin pannikins do duty for cups and saucers. There are no roast geese or turkeys; no Christmas tokens, or glad family reunions.
No! in place of these there is the thought of a land and of loved ones far away a land whose streets perhaps they will never again tread, and loved one's whom probably they will not again see.

Said one of our lady pioneers: "It was sometimes very hard to forget all that we had left in the old country, and particularly friends, and to determine to make the best of our surroundings; but we all managed to put up with the roughness, and be contented... No one appeared to fear for the future, although, of course, no one could anticipate what the future would bring forth."

Think of the children who lived in the tents and reed huts at Glenelg South Australia in 1836. Think of the children who sat down to their first Christmas dinner then. There are no shops or stores from which father and mother have been able to buy books or toys. No fruit or lolly shops from which to purchase sweets. No trains, no traps, no horses, no streets, no gardens, no houses. They are living in tents and rush huts on the shores of what Col. Light has called Holdfast Bay. They have just returned from church service, conducted in a rush hut.

Time for dinner has come. The table is fixed up, perhaps using a few boards, laid upon cases. The cloth is spread, the tin plates and pannikins are brought in. Mother carries in some ship's biscuit and salt pork: perhaps father has been able to secure a few parrots or cockatoos, and mother has been able to make a parrot or cockatoo pie. Some have been fortunate enough to secure a piece of the cow that fell into the lagoon and had to be killed, and some perhaps have a piece of kangaroo.
Boxes and cases are drawn up to the table for seats; grace is said: and father carves and serves out the salt ship's pork. the parrot pie, or the kangaroo.
There are no French beans, peas, or cabbages, no cherries, apricots, or peaches. After dinner there are no Sunday, school gatherings, with hearty singing and bright speeches. Even a long walk is quite out of the question, for there is the danger of being lost in the bush.
Such was the first Christmas Day in South Australia.
The fathers and mothers who came to found South Australia in 1836 and who sat down to their first Christmas dinner in this land, were splendid men and women, the pick of Old England. They were really heroes and heroines, they were bold, determined, brave and resourceful. They had come to subdue a wilderness, to colonize an unknown land; they felt that their strong arms, determined wills, and faith in God would carry them through.
There was no Government to which they could run when they wanted a house built, a road made, or a bridge constructed. No; they felt that they were equal to all the difficulties of the position, and proved themselves to be so. They laid the foundations of the City of Adelaide, forded the rivers, cleared the forests, built their houses, planted their gardens, worked 14 and 15 hours a day, and were as happy as the bees who made sweet music in their gardens, or the birds that sang in their trees. The girls and boys who sat down to that first Christmas dinner were like their fathers and mothers, so they successfully laid the foundations of this beautiful and prosperous State of South Australia.

Christmas is a day to reflect, to remember your ancestors, the pioneers who took that giant leap into unknown lands across the globe.
I often hear the phrase "times are tough" used today, but look around, and thank your ancestors who overcame tougher times. Remember their bravery and sacrifice to fulfill their dreams to make a better future for their children and children's children. For you.

Merry Christmas to Scott and all at Familytreecircles

2 comment(s), latest 1 year, 11 months ago

Clarkson from Yorkshire to Western Australia.

Warning: This resource may contain references to Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people who may have passed away

Michael and James Smith CLARKSON arrived on the brig "Tranby", in Swan River Colony in 1830 from Yorkshire, England. They were two of the six children born to Barnard CLARKSON 1748-1826 and Elizabeth, nee SMITH 1779-1833.
A third brother Charles Foster CLARKSON arrived on the CYGNET on 27 January 1833 with Charles in Steerage and his widowed father Barnard Clarkson in Cabin refer Shipping Intelligence
The three brothers were of a well known family of yeoman descent. Namely;
Michael Clarkson b: 7 June 1804 in Bubwith, Yorkshire, England and died 2 March 1871 in Toodyay, Western Australia. he married Jane DRUMMOND 1813-1905 in the Swan Colony on the 6 November 1833. Michael and brother James, were given land on the Swan River where Maylands now is and later in the year they disposed of this grant and took up another of 18,261 acres in the newly - surveyed Avon district on November 25th 1830.

The children of the marriage between Michael and Jane were:-
1.Deborah Wilberforce CLARKSON 18341918 m. Alfred DURLACHER 1822-1869 in Geraldton on 1 October 1864.
2.Barnard Drummond CLARKSON b: 11 Dec.1836 York d: 23 Mar. 1909 Mt.Anderson m. Isabella Jane Lukin in 1867
3.James Smith CLARKSON b:1837 d: 7 December 1910 Toodyay, m. Eliza Selina GREEN at Newcastle WA in 1872
4.Thomas Michael CLARKSON 1841 1845
5.Edward Ellis CLARKSON b:1844 Toodyay d:1865 WA See notes
6.Sarah CLARKSON b: 1 Sept 1847 'Nunyle, Toodyay d: 27 July 1912 Northam. m.(1)Frederick Mackie ROE 1843-1877 in 1871 (2) Andrew DEMPSTER 1844-1909 on 21 January 1891 at Northam WA. See Notes 3
7.William Bell CLARKSON 1848 1877

James Smith Clarkson b:1806 in Yorkshire, England and died in 1872 in Western Australia.

Charles Foster Clarkson b: 12 May 1812 in Holme Upon Spalding Moor, Yorkshire and died on the 16 December 1863 on the Ballarat Goldfields
It is not known what occupation Charles Foster followed but he did build himself a fine two-storeyed home on the then waterfront, on portion of the land now occupied by the Temple Court buildings.
On the 2 March 1837 Charles Foster married Hannah Eliza LEEDER 1818-1901 (the suburb of Leederville was named after her father, who was the first settler there), who had arrived from England as a small child in the ship "Rockingham" in 1830. They reared a family of seven children, five boys and two girls.

1.Elizabeth Smith CLARKSON 1838 1891 m. Robert Thomas READHEAD 1829-1878 at Geraldton on 10 January 1865.
2.Hannah Eliza CLARKSON 1840 d:1915 Perth. m Edward KEY 1839-1879 at Pinjarra, in 1869
3.William Wilberforce CLARKSON b: 1843 Swan River Colony d: 1874 Hooley's Well, North West of WA, Australia (see notes)
4.Edward Winteringham CLARKSON b:1845 Swan d: 9 Nov. 1927 Dongara. m. Sarah Ann GRANT 1850-1927 in 1875
5.*Henry James CLARKSON b:1847 Swan River Colony d: 1874 Hooley's Well, North West of WA, Australia see notes1
6.Joseph Charles CLARKSON b:1849 Swan River Colony d: 1890 Perth, Western Australia, Australia see notes 2
7.Robert Leeder CLARKSON b:1851 d: 5 Dec.1907 Dongara. m. Margaret Placida MCCOURT 1847-1940 in 1889 at Karratha Station, Roebourne

At the time of the gold rush in Victoria, Charles Foster went to Ballarat and was not heard of again.

His wife Hannah next married John Enoch HAMMOND 1827-1892 and they had four children, two boys and two girls. One of the boys Jesse Elijah HAMMOND 1855 1940 wrote a book called "Western Pioneers." Telling his life in the Swan Colony as well as the story of the Clarkson disaster which occurred in 1874 when William Wilberforce Clarkson and Henry James Clarkson were killed by the natives while they were searching for water whilst taking 800 cattle and 70 horses to the Murchison for stud purposes. When their bodies were found they were brought south and buried in the Greenough Flats cemetery.

Death of Edward Ellis CLARKSON 1844-1865
The Perth Gazette and West Australian Times (WA : 1864-1874) Friday 18 August 1865

Since our last issue we have been enabled to obtain but few particulars relative to the death of Mr. Edward Clarkson, whose murder by a party of natives at his station, somewhere about 80 miles to the Eastward of Newcastle, was then adverted to. It seems that Mr. Clarkson' s station was visited by a party of aborigines on the evening of the 31st ultimo, one of whom discharged a spear which entered just under the last rib on the right side and penetrated nine inches upwards towards the left shoulder. The lad who was hut-keeper to Mr. Clarkson was present on the occasion, and immediately seized a gun to defend themselves with but the natives took to their heels and ran away. On the next day, the 1st instant, this lad went out to look for the sheep, returning in about an hour afterwards. On his return to the station he found that the natives had paid Mr. Clarkson another visit and were in the act of torturing him, by jabbing in the arms, hands, and legs with spears, but on seeing the boy they ran away. Poor Clarkson lingered in great agony until the night of the 5th instant, when he expired, and the lad then left and made his way to an out-station belonging to Mr. Dempster, from whence information was immediately forwarded to Newcastle. Mr. Clarkson' s remains were taken to Newcastle on Tuesday evening, and we understand the Police have succeeded in obtaining the names of the murderers, and have gone to the eastward in search of them, but it is feared without much chance of success as the country is totally devoid of water.

The Perth Gazette and West Australian Times (WA : 1864-1874) Friday 1 September 1865

WE learn that the police who went in search of the murderers of Mr. Clarkson have returned unsucessful in capturing them. They ascertained that the murder was committed for the sole purpose of enabling them to appropriate the stock of flour, and that six natives only were concerned in it. The police succeeded in surprising a camp where the murderers were, but they managed to make their escape into a neighboring thicket, and their pursuers were obliged to content themselves with three poor fellows who confessed to having eaten some of the flour. They also found the gun and other articles which had been taken from the station.

The Perth Gazette and West Australian Times (WA : 1864-1874) Friday 3 November 1865

To the Editor of the Perth Gazette & W. A. Times.
SIR,-In your issue of the 21st ult., it was said that the capture of one of the natives for the murder of the late Mr. Clarkson was made by police-constable Edwards, and no mention was made of any other officer. Without opposing Mr. Edwards, but injustice to a zealous and enterprising officer, I beg to say that the capture in question was made by police-constable Charles Wisbey, who on this as on other occasions, has proved himself to be an officer of superior merit, and it is to be hoped will meet with due reward.
I am Sir, Your obedient servant, NORTHAM.

The Perth Gazette and West Australian Times (WA : 1864-1874) Friday 12 January 1866

The Trial

Ngowee, an aboriginal native charged with the
murder of Edward Ellis Clarkson.

David HACKETT :- On the 10th July last was at Mr. Clarkson' s sheep-station with Edward Clarkson; on that day I was reading at the tent about 15 yards from the hut, when I saw four natives in the act of rushing upon me, prisoner was one of them, I took up my gun and it snapped. I knew only one of the four, his name is Jack Barlem. I clubbed my gun and struck one of them, but they broke one bone of my arm and two held me down, and the others went into the hut and took flour, tea, and sugar, my gun, powder, and caps. On Monday, 31st July I saw the same four natives creeping about 200 years off, they had my gun, some spears, and dowaks. They called out to me to give them all that was in the hut or they would shoot me. I had a loaded gun, and told them they had better come and take it, and they went away in a great rage. On the evening of the same day Mr. Clarkson and myself were eating our suppers at the tent just after dark, sitting about a yard apart, when six spears came all at once, one of which struck Mr. Clarkson on the right side just under the ribs, and one grazed my right arm. I could not see the natives, but they kept about all night. I assisted Mr. Clarkson into the tent; the shirt produced is that worn by him; next morning he told me to go out with the sheep, but I did not go more than a quarter of a mile away and returned, as I thought the natives would come back, and when I got in sight I saw four natives outside the tent, one drinking some tea I had left at Mr. Clarkson' s head, the other three were jabbing their spears at him through the tent, the prisoner was the foremost of the three. I was then about 200 yards off and I fired at them. One of the natives gave a scream and they all ran away. On going in to Mr. Clarkson I found he had been speared in both hands and his thigh; there were three fresh wounds, I pulled the spears out and also cut off close to the body the spear that was in his side; I did it with a saw. The piece of spear produced is that which remained in the body and was taken out after death.
I remained with Mr. Clarkson until he died in my hut five days afterwards, and the next morning after I had covered the body up I started off to report what had taken place.
Police Serjt. Kelly :- I went to Mr. Clarkson' s station on the 11th August, found the body of Mr. E. Clarkson lying in a hut, and from the right side there protruded about one inch of the spear head produced. The body was so much decomposed that no marks of wounds remained.
Police constable Edwards :- deposed that on the 9th October, in company with P.C. Wisbey, arrested the prisoner about 100 miles from York, and told him I did so for killing Mr.Clarkson. He said he did not want to do so but Ejup made him " windang" and said that he must do so.
Jyugyuth, a native, deposed ;_ that the prisoner told him he was threatened to be shot and he speared Mr. Clarkson. He only knows what the prisoner told him, and that it was in consequence of the natives having taken the flour the gun was fired.
The deposition of this witness before the magistrate was read, and in that he is stated to have said that he was present when Mr. Clark- son was speared through the tent, but he now refused to acknowledge so much.
Jedjeeput, a native interpreter, stated that he was present in the Newcastle Police Court when the prisoner stated there that he was persuaded by other natives to spear.
The prisoner now being asked if he wished to say anything said that the natives bothered him to spear Mr. Clarkson until he agreed to it.
The Jury found the prisoner Guilty and sentence of Death was passed.
The foreman of the Jury then informed His Honor that to mark their approbation of the conduct of the young lad HACKET (14 years of age), a subscription had been entered into among them, the proceeds of which he begged to place in His Honor's hands, to apply for the boy's use in the manner he considered most ad-
visable.His Honor expressed his concurrence with the sentiments entertained by the Jury, and ob- serving that he should deposit the money in the Post Office Saving's Bank, with an addition of £1, from himself, said that he should be happy to receive any amount which other persons might like to contribute.
His Honor then directed Hacket to be brought before him, when he addressed the lad, express- ing his own and the Jury's approbation of his conduct, and expressing a hope that his future life might be equally worthy of the approbation of his fellow men. His Honor also told him that when at anytime he wanted money for any particular purpose of which he should approve, he would let him have it from the fund.
[Since the above we understand the Government have added £12 to the amount in His Honor's charge.]

William Wilberforce 1843-1874 and Henry James CLARKSON 1847-1874

[Extract from Cemeteries of Geraldton-Greenough, Mid West Heritage Series Western Australia by Gary Martin Held in the Geraldton-Greenough Regional Library The first newspaper account of a funeral held at this cemetery appeared in The Herald of 20 March 1875. The reporter wrote that a large crowd came to witness the burial of the remains of William and Henry CLARKSON. Prior to the funeral an inquest had been held at the Greenough Court House to ascertain the deaths of the brothers. The bones of the deceased (their bodies having been ravaged by wild dogs) had been found at a place called Hooley's Well on the road to Nichol Bay, and returned to Greenough where it was judged that Henry had been murdered by persons unknown and William had died of exhaustion. What is now the largest gravestone in the cemetery was erected as their memorial.]

Joseph Charles CLARKSON 1849 1890 Joseph went north and entered the pearling industry at which he made a considerable amount of money and following this he settled in Perth, where he either built or bought a fashionable home.

[[Notes 2.
b] Joseph Charles Clarkson 1849-1890

Western Mail (Perth, WA : 1885 - 1954) Saturday 15 November 1890
(Beforethe Acting Chief Justice.)
Mr. S. H. Parker, Q.C., who was for the petitioner, Robert Leeder Clarkson, moved the Court to confirm the report of the Master of the Court.
The Master had, in accordance with a commission, inquired into the person and property of Mr. Clarkson, and found he was incapable of managing himself or his affairs.
He had also found as to the heir-at-law and the next-of-kin, and suggested that , Mr. George Randell was a fit and proper person to be a committee of the estate and person of the lunatic, and other matters. His Honour had, the learned counsel said, confirmed the report, but the notice of motion was given at His Honour's request, in order that it might be considered in open Court. The solicitor who instructed, him was the solicitor for the other parties who had consented to the terms of the motion. .
His Honour confirmed the report as, to the appointment of a committee and as to the general scheme for the management of the property of the lunatic. The sales of the property to be subject to the approval of the Court, with liberty to apply.]

Notes 3.

Sarah Clarkson Obituary

The West Australian Tuesday 30 July 1912

Relatives, old colonists, and friends in all parts of Western Australia will learn with deep regret of the death of Mrs. Andrew Dempster. The deceased lady was 64 years of age, and of recent years had been in ill health. Her death, which took place at her residence, Chidlow street, Northam, on the morning of Saturday last, was the result of a long and painful illness, borne with great fortitude. The deceased was a native of Western Australia. She was the second daughter (Sarah), of the late Michael And Jane Clarkson, and was born at "Nunyle," Toodyay, on September 1, 1847. She had one sister (Deborah), now Mrs. Durlacher, of Toodyay, and five brothers Barnard (one time M.L.A. for Toodyay), James, Tom, Willie, and Edward, all of whom have pre deceased her. Her mother before her mar- riage was Miss Jane Drummond, and came to Western Australia in the now historic Parmelia in 1829, the Parmelia being convoyed by the sloop of war Sulphur, with Governor Stirling on board. Michael Clarkson, the father of the deceased, came to Western Australia two years later, and acquired the property now owned by the Hamersley family, and known as "Wilberforce."
In view of present land values, it is inter esting to record the fact that the price at which Mr. Clarkson sold "Wilberforce" was 1s, 6d. per acre. The Clarkson family par ticipated in much of the pioneering work of Western Australia, and like many other of the old families paid its contribution to the heavy tax of human life extorted by the young colony. The youngest son (Edward) was treacherously speared by the blacks at "Dalbercutting," near Doodlakine, in 1865, and died five days afterwards, attended only by David Hackett- a boy only 12 years old who bravely stayed with him until his death, and then made the journey through the bush alone to Buckland, near Northam. Mrs.Dempster, then a girl of 18, was staying with some friends at Geraldton, and on learning of her brother's death she took the first available ship for home. This chanced to be a whaler, and she was the only passenger. The voyage to Fremantle occupied over three weeks, and Mrs. Dempster always referred to it as one of the most trying incidents of her life.
The subject of this notice was first married on June 1, 1871, to Frederick Mackie Roe, fifth son of the late Captain Roe, R.N., (also a Parmelia passenger, and the first Surveyor-General of Western Australia, which office he held for 42 years). There were two sons of the marriage - Gus, now of the North-West, and formerly of Northam, and Willie, of Grass Valley-and one daughter, who died in infancy. Mr. F. M. Roe died in 1877 at the age of 33, as the result of an accident at his station, "Dumbo,' Wongan Hills, leaving his widow, aged 30, with three young children. She resided in Toodyay until 1891, when she was married to the late Mr. Andrew Dempster, of Muresk. Since his death in 1909 she has resided in Northam. Closely associated with the early history of Western Australia. Mrs. Dempster was related to or connected with most of the famnilies whose names are written on the records of the pioneering days of the colony-notably, the Clarksons, Roes, Drummonds, Durlachers, and Dempsters. She was best known to the present generation as the hospitable and charming hostess of "Muresk," where a warm welcome always awaited visitors and travellers. Gentle, kindly and generous of disposition, it was always her aim to make those about her happy and comfortable. She was loved by all who were privileged to know her, and will be deeply mourned by a very large circle of relatives and friends in all parts of the State. The funeral, which took place at Northam on Sunday afternoon, was very largely attended, the company that assembled round the grave in the Anglican cemetery including many visitors from Toodyay, Wilberforce, Muresk, and other districts, as well as a very large and representative gathering of Northam residents."

The photograph below of William and Henry CLARKSON
appears the book "The journal of the Brockman Droving Expedition of 1874-75 to the North West of Western"

4 comment(s), latest 1 year, 2 months ago

Cock-Fighting, New South Wales.

Any article or series of articles on the "Good Old Days" that
did not treat the sports of that-period would be like a
meat pie without, the meat. I have attempted to give a complete
and comprehensive digest of the manners and customs of the people
of the times of which I write, and as cock fighting was almost an
institution in those days, some attention must be given to it.

Not many will regret the fact this kind of sport is now a thing of
the past, so far as this district is concernedand has been allowed to
fall into oblivion along with other relics of barbarism.

From the 1840s cock-fighting was one of the most popular sports
in the Hawkesbury district of New South Wales, and in those days unless you had a
game rooster that could masacre twenty of your neighbours' domestic chooks in as
many minutes, you might as well be dead, for you were considered nobody.

But now things have changed, the cock-fighting instincts of the people
are dead, though the sleek bird still retains all the combative instincts
of the olden leaven, and would even now fight till he dropped on his own or
some other party's dung-hill. Many residents well remember the old rendezvous
of the enthusiasts of this branch of sportin Holland's paddock,(Windsor)
facing the banks, In this paddock, where there is now a large pond, a pit
existed for many years, and at the trysting-ground large crowds of people
assembled nearly every Saturday to witness a good encounter between two
game cocks.
An edifying spectacle it must have been, truly, yet amongst the votaries of
the sport were many men who were then leading lights of the district.

For years cock-fighting was carried on in public, and was reckoned a legitimate
sport. Then the State stepped in and dubbed it unlawful; yet it was carried on,
almost with impunity, for yearsbut those who participated in the sport met in
some sequestered nook to hold their meetings, the ti-tree swamp on Ham Common
(Richmond) being a favourite resort.

A man named " Jacky" Carr was among the first to introduce cock-fighting into
the Hawkesbury district. He was an Englishman, and always managed to get hold of
some fine imported birds.

Amongst those who followed the game also were Frank Norris, now residing on the
Brickfields,and one of the best pugilists of his day. Also his brothers Paddy and Jim, (sons of Richard NORRIS 1779-1843)
George Cupitt 1808-1875, Charlie Eather, The Charkers,
Gaudry's and Kable's. William Hopkins 1798-1862,
Joseph and William Onus, (sons of Joseph Onus 1782-1835). Ben Richards 1818-1898, and George Bushell were
also admirers of the game-cock, and they all owned good
fighting birds. The second-named is said to have had a magnificent button-comb
bird, which ended the career of many another good one.

The Dargins, Cornwells, Dan Mayne and Jack Cribb also followed the sport.
W. Hopkins was a great breeder of these birds, and he once owned a cookoo-game,
a very rare bird which was responsible for the death of more than one man's pet.

Jim Norris also had a bird which, after winning. fourteen or fifteen successive
battles met its doom when pitted against "Daddy" Baine's in the Richmond Lane,
close to the residence of Mrs. Onus. The birds always fought with steel spurs,
and a small black red bird weighing 6½ lbs, owned by George Cupitt, on one occasion
slaughtered three oponents without having his heels (as the spurs were termed) taken off.

James 'Jack' Cribb 1785-1841 always had a lot of birds, and used to spare no
expense in getting hold of good fighters to take his friends down.
He had been known to pay as much as £10 apiece for them, and once paid that
sum for a big light-grey bird, of which everybody was afraid.

Birds weighing from 6½lbs to 7lbs were always very strong and fast fighters, whilst
they varied in weight from 5½lbs to 8½lbs. The principal breeds were black red,
duck-wing, hen-feather, and the pile. The latter breed was the progeny of two good
distinct strains, and was considered one of the gamest of the game birds.

The fighting generally carried out in what was termed "mains," i.e.,
a number (say 5 or 7) birds of dififerent weights on either side.
The birds of the opposing forces were pitted on as equal terms as possible as
regards weight, and if the result of the " main" was equal, the contest would be
decided by a "turn-out"that is, a match between the heaviest bird of both sides.
The :mains" Comprised a party from Parramatta or Sydney on the one side, and
Windsor on the other.

Phil Williams (Sydney), the Waterhouses (Parramatta), and W. Sparks (Cook's River)
frequently brought their birds to Windsor, and were met in the fray by
Cupitt, Norris and Hopkins.
Matches for £50 or to £100 aside were often made, while a good deal of out
side money was also wagered

Windsor and Richmond Gazette
(NSW : 1888 - 1954)
The Good Old Days
Research and Transcription, Janilye
20 June 2012

Coffs Harbour Historic Cemetery

Coffs Harbour Historic Cemetery
Address: Coff Street, Coffs Harbour
Coffs Harbour Lawn Cemetery
Also known as Karangi Lawn.
Address: Coramba Road, Karangi, New South Wales, Australia

Note: A spate of thefts of bronze plaques from cemeteries in this region was reported in July 2011.
Thieves, when removing the markers, have also caused damage to the stones on which they were mounted.
If you have family graves in the Coffs Harbour cemetery, and you have not already checked, it is advisable that you check on their integrity.

More information
Coffs Harbour Lawn Cemetery is administered by Coffs Harbour City Council. For further information, contact Council at Locked Bag 155, Coffs Harbour NSW 2450; phone 02 6648 4000; email: coffs.council@chcc.nsw.gov.au

2 comment(s), latest 2 years, 9 months ago

Cometville State School Queensland 1878-1930

Cometville renamed Comet on the 19 March 1931 is 859 kilometres or 534 miles north west of Brisbane, Australia, on the Comet River which was named by explorer Ludwig Leichhardt in December 1844 after Wilmot's Comet which was visible in the Southern Hemisphere at that time.
Comet is where Leichhardt's famous "dig tree" was established to indicate to others where he had buried food and journals.

It was a very important day for the outback settlement of Cometville when the State school opened on the 23 October 1878.

Below is a list of the Head School Teachers and the years in which they served up until 1930

Samuel Clark........................ 23 October 1877 to 19 September 1879
Alexander Blyth..................... 01 January 1879 to 30 September 1879
John Boland (acting) ............... 01 October 1879 to 30 September 1881
John Hassell........................ 01 October 1881 to 02 September 1883
William Henry Allen Jeffreys........ 20 August 1883 to 31 December 1884
William Henry Smith ................ 19 January 1885 to 25 April 1889
John Mills ......................... 06 May 1889 to 25 April 1891
Phillp Henry Robinson............... 26 May 1891 to 31 December 1896
Louis Charles Francis .............. 01 January 1897 to 06 February 1898
George Henry Osmond ................ 28 February 1898 to 31 December 1900
Denis sheahan....................... 01 January 1901 to 13 March 1902
Hubert George Ladbrook ............. 07 April 1902 to 31 March 1905
Clement Bleakley ................... 01 April 1905 to 30 June 1910
Patrick Kehoe....................... 01 July 1910 to 28 February 1911
Albert Boettcher ................... 27 February 1911 to 30 March 1914
James Thiele........................ 01 May 1914 to 15 September 1918
John Henry Langford ................ 18 September 1918 to 30 September 1921
Gladys Fannv Kidd .................. 01 October 1921 to 24 January 1926
William Leslie Kemp ................ 25 January 1926 to 31 December 1929
William Charles Thomas Jordan....... 01 January 1930

The photograph below which is not all that well preserved, but I've not ever been able to find another.
Taken in the 1930s it shows the original Cometville State School in the foreground and the new Comet State School behind. after this photograph was taken the old school was removed.
The new school behind was bought in 1936 by the Country Women's Association (Gindie branch) and turned into a rest home.