janilye on Family Tree Circles
Journals and Posts
Arrived on the vessel 'FORTH' Master Henry Hutton, Surgeon Superintendent Thomas Robertson.
(The Forth departed Cork 21 October 1834 with 196 male prisoners. Arrived in Port Jackson on Monday 3 February 1835. One man died on voyage.)
Granted Ticket of Leave 16 March 1843 Maitland
A coroner's inquest into the death of Peter Kilduff, held on Tuesday 15 October 1850, at the Fitzroy Hotel, at 7 a. m., before Henry Glennie, Esq.
Peter Kilduff carrier. Employed by Henry Dangar taking goods to station 'Yellowroy' (Yallaroi). Killed when a wheel of the dray passed over his head a mile and a half beyond Rix's Creek, in the Singleton area. He was the brother of John KILDUFF 1793-1854 and
Michael KILDUFF 1799-1874
An inquest was this day held at 7 o'clock A M.' before the
Coroner of the district, at the Fitzroy Hotel, on view of
the body of Peter Kilduff, then lying dead.
The Jury being sworn, proceeded, to view the body which
was in a dray in the adjoining yard, and having returned,
Thomas M'Mahon was called and being sworn, stated
that he resided on a part of Mr. Henry Dangar's
ground at Singleton, from which place he started
with his team, on yesterday, October 14. about eleven
o'clock a.m. in company with two other teams, all
three laden with property for Mr. Dangar's station
at Yallaroi ; and that having accompanied them
about three miles on the road, and having cautioned
deceased, who was then much worse for "liquor"
to take care of himself, left his own team in charge
of a man whom he had employed to drive it and rode
on before them, to the Pound at Full Brook, a few
miles further on. Having delayed here some time,
and the drays not having yet made their appearance,
he returned to see what delayed them and was surprised
to find them but a short distance from where he first
left them. The driver of his own team being,
from drunkenness, incapable of driving, he took
the whip from him, stopped the team, and went back
to the second one which was a short distance behind
his (witness's) and spoke to the driver, John Smith
who did not appear to be drunk. Smith having
looked back and observed that deceased's team stopt
walked back to see what detained it, and shortly
after ran back again to witness exclaiming that Kilduff's
brains were dashed out. Witness himself
went to the spot and saw deceased lying on the road
a short distance behind his team, quite dead— his
brains scattered about, and his head frightfully
crushed, the wheel of the dray, which had on
about forty-five cwts., having passed over it.
The Jury having re-assembled at the appointed
hour, Smith was then called, and being sworn, con
firmed the former witness's statement up to the time
he left them to go to the pound, and stated that after
he (M'Mahon) left them, they halted to have dinner
—after dinner, took a keg (the inseparable curse of
such journeys) containing about four gallons of
wine, from one of the drays, and drew therefrom
about one pint full which they divided between them;
they started again and had not travelled far when
witness observed the team which deceased drove, to
stop ; he halted his own team and went back to that
of deceased to see what detained it; when he arrived
there he did not see deceased till he went a little bit
from the dray: He saw deceased lying quite dead on
the road, the off wheel having passed over his head,
the last time witness saw deceased, about five minutes
before he observed his team stopping, he was walking
on the near side by his bullocks, and did not that
day see deceased sitting on the pole of his dray, nor
was he drunk. The Coroner having summoned up the
evidence the Jury after a few moments deliberation,
returned-a verdict, that deceased met his death
accidentally. the wheel of his dray having passed over
his head, but how it happened they were unable to say.
From the position in which deceased was found, his
head lying immediately in the very track of the off
wheel and his legs near the track of the near wheel.
It is C0njectured that he must have fallen off the
pole while endeavouring to get on it; being at the
time much under the influence of liquor. Of the six
or seven sudden deaths that have occurred in this
neighbourhood, within a very short period, five, we
believe, were the results of intemperance.
The callousness and utter want of sympathy, and the
indifference with which these wretched individuals, who
are habitual drunkards, witness death in its most ap
palling form, may be gathered from the fact, of the
two co-mates of the deceased, having shortly after
the accident, seated themselves round the fatal keg.
from which deceased, doubtless drank his death, and
satisfied their craving thirst.
(Sydney, NSW : 1850 - 1932)
Thursday 24 October 1850
Transcription, janilye 2011
NOTE: The license for the Fitzroy Hotel in George-street, Singleton was granted to Alexander Munro 1812-1889 in 1848.
The Peninsular and Oriental Company's (P&O)
R.M.S. Oceana, under the Command of Captain P. S. Tomlin, from London 5th April,
with mails to 12th April, arrived at Albany from Colombo at 1.20
a.m. 9th May 1889, and left Albany at 8.30 a.m
arrived 1.20 a.m. 9th. May
Mr. and Mrs. Hensman, Miss Hensman, Mr. Sandover, Miss Helms.
arrived 2.30 a.m 12th. May.
Mr. and Mrs. Murray, Mr. P. Crank, Mr. P. Waite, Miss Hansen,
Captain and Mrs. Rennie.
arrived 13th May
Mr. and Mrs. Skinner and infant, Mr. and Mrs. Turnbull,
Mr. and Mrs. Merton and three children, Mr. J. R. Talbot,
Messrs. Jacobs (three), Mr. Munro, Mr. Johns, Mr. Lowe,
Mr. Abbot, Mr. Kerr, Miss Talbot, Miss Sherren, Miss Hogg,
Miss Wallace, Miss Lane, Miss Jacobs, Miss Phillips,
Mrs. Hogg, Mrs. Jacobs, Mrs. Coates and four children,
Mrs. A. Cataford, Mrs. Kerr, Mrs. Darling, Dr. and Mrs. Rainey.
arrived 17th. May
Mr. and Mrs. Davies and child,
Mr. and Mrs. Sharrock and three children,
Mr. and Mrs. Silberberg, Mr. and Mrs. Myers,
Mr. and Mrs. Thomson, Mr. and Mrs. Lenhalt,
Mr. and Mrs. Roberts, Mr. W. Synott, Mr. R. L. H. B. Jenkins,
Charles Santley, (click to hear this celebrated English baritone)
Mr. O. Dickinson, Mr. Lachzyrma, Mr. D. Johnston,
Mr. Yorston, Mr. Brooke, Mr. Carpenter, Mr. Kerr,
Mrs. Wylde and two daughters, Mrs. Graham, Mrs. Robertson,
Mrs. Knight and two children, Mrs. Hotham,
Miss Russell, Miss Aidken, Miss Kennedy, Miss Lynain,
Misses Douglas (two), Miss Seale, Miss Pattison,
Rev. Mr. and Mrs. Pearson, Major and Mrs. Martin, Captain Martin.
Mr. and Mrs. Tusan, Misses Tusan (three),
Mr. F. Gore, Rev. P. Brown, Mr. A. Jacquerson,
Dr. George Henry Stanton (the Bishop of North Queensland,)
Miss Ewing, Miss Carmichael, Miss Mayne, Miss White,
Mrs. and Miss Lark, Sir James Garrick.
For New Zealand.
Mr. Pownall, Mr. H. Cardwell, Mr. S. C. Hooper,
Mr. Newman, Mr. James Methven, Mr. W. F. Methven,
Mr. Stephen, Mr. and Mrs. Henderson, Miss Duggan.
There are 150 for all ports in the other classes.
The R.M.S Oceana arrived back in Plymouth on the 10 July 1889
The S.S.Oceana was built in 1887 and sank in 1912 after a collision with German barque Pisagua in English Channel, 14 lives were lost.
The next seminar of the Female Convicts Research Centre will be held on Sunday, 24 April 2016, in the Hobart Town Hall Registration will open early 2016, with members being notified by email closer to the date.
Members are invited to present 15-minute papers at the seminar, The subject will be:
The Cascades Female Factory, 1828 - 1877
Is there an area of the Female Factory you are interested in? Food, clothes, nursing, staff, the 1841 inquiry, the Flash Mob, discipline ... there are many intriguing possibilities.
Note that the date range covers the later period when the Factory was a gaol and old age home.
As experience has shown that few stories of individuals have enough material about the Factory to shed much light on its history, we will be concentrating on more general papers.
Please submit your proposal by 20 December 2015.
If you are not a member; please consider becoming one by completing the Register as a Member form on the site. Membership is free.
Members are welcome from interstate and overseas, as well as those from Tasmania.
Tuesday, 17th April.
Before the Mayor; Messrs Walsh. Benjamin,
Elliot, O'Brien, Watson, Degraves, Bennett, and
The following were GRANTED
Thomas Adams, Paddington Hotel, Little Bourke-street.
George Aitchison, British Hotel, Queen-street.
Charles Alexander, Odd Fellows Hotel, Little Lonsdale-street.
John Allen, Olive Branch Hotel, Latrobe and Stephen streets.
Joseph Weaver Allen, Sandridge Inn, Sandridge.
George Milton Allen, Tattersalls', Lonsdale-street.
John James Amos, South Yarra Club House, Domain road,
William Armitage, Peacock Hotel, Errol-street.
William Baker, Bull and Mouth Hotel Bourke-street,
John Bailey, Young Queen, Therry-street.
William Balch, Australia Felix Bourke-street.
William Bancroft, Bancroft's Hotel, Lonsdale-street.
Robert Barber, Newmarket Hotel, Bourke and Stephen-streets.
Thomas Barnfield, Eagle Hotel, Swanston-street.
Richard Barrows, Governor Bourke, Little Lonsdale-street,
William Bignell, Bignell's Hotel, Victoria-street.
William Blannin, Parliamentary, Spring and Lonsdale-street.
William James Boobier, Colonial Family, Little Bourke-street.
Andrew Brown, Rising Sun, little Bourke-street.
Henry Donovan Brown, Exchange Hotel, Swanston-street.
Malcolm Brown, Buck's Head, Little Lonsdale-street,
Charles Bryan, Cumberland and Westmoreland, Franklyn-street.
James Bultitude, Harp of Erin, Madeline-street.
Richard Burke, Golden Age, Latrobe-street.
Edward Butler, Duke of York, Collins-street.
Peter Cameron, Canada Hotel, Madeline-street.
Johanna Cantwell, Glenmore Hotel, Spencer-street.
Benjamin Campion, Prince Patrick, Latrobe-street.
William King Chisholm, Niagara Hotel, Londale-street.
William Clarkson, North Star, Abbotsford-street.
Daniel Cleal, Cleal's Hotel, Swanston-street.
John Cleland, Albion Hotel, Bourke-street,
James Cleghorn, Caledonian Hotel, Jeffcott-street.
Henry Clifford, Railway Refreshment Rooms, Flinders-street.
Frederick Coates, Parkside Hotel, North Melbourne.
Lewis Coates, Royal Hotel, Flemington-road.
James Colvin, Golden Cross, King-street.
Jamea Council, Butchers' Arms, Flemington-road.
James Cooper, Cooper's Family Hotel, Stephen-street.
Richard Austin Cooper, Rainbow, Swanston-street.
William Corcoran Conroy, Royal, Victoria-street.
John Cosgrove, Fitzroy Arms, King-street.
Robert Cuttler, Nelson Hotel, Cardigan-street.
Lewis Count, Spanish Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
William Cowpar, Bendigo Hotel, Bourke-street.
John Cozens, Carlton Inn, Leicester-street.
William Daly, Glasgow Arms, Elizabeth-street.
Michael D'Arcy, D'Arcy's Hotel, Swanston-street.
Henry L. Davis, Egremont Hotel, Northcote.
Thomas Davis, Sarsfield Inn, Little Bourke-street.
Charles Edward Deane, Royal Charter, Bourke-street.
James Dempsey, Joiners' Arms, Cardigan-street.
Charlotte De Ruyter, Woolpack, Queen-street.
Mark Dian, Australian Arms, Little Bourke-street.
James Dillon, Lamb Inn, Little Latrobe-street,
Phillip Garnett Dixon, Suburban Railway Refreshment Rooms, Flinders-street.
George Douse, Salutation Inn, Bourke-street,
Christopher Donovan, Travellers' Home, Swanston-street,
Charles Dowule, Commercial, Little Bourke-street.
Christopher Doyle, Emu Hotel, Bouverie-street.
Patrick Doyle, Haymarket Hotel, Blackwood-street.
William Dunlop, Heather Bell, Flinders-lane,
William Dunnon, Builders' Arms, Cardigan-street.
Edward Fitzgerald Eager, Rook of Cashel, Little Bourke-street.
Thomas Emmerson, Queensberry Hotel, Madeline-street.
Richard Feehan, City Arms, Elizabeth-street.
William Finlay, Royal Mail, Bourke-street.
Owen Fisher, South Melbourne Hotel, Gardiner's Creek road.
Bridget Fitzgerald, Hibernian Hotel, Little Lonsdale-street.
Maurice Otho Fitzglbbon, Mechanics' Arms, Little Collins-street.
Honoria Fitzmaurice, Kerry Hotel, King-street.
William Planner, Old White Hart, Bourke-street.
Alfred Ford, Royal Artillery, Elizabeth-street.
Peter Forman, Elephant and Castle, Little Bourke-street.
Charles Forrester, Metropolitan, William-street.
William Freer, Madeline Hotel, Madeline-street.
Michael Gallagher, Rose of Australia, King-street
George D, Gallagly, Duke of Wellington, Flinders-street.
James Geehan, Harp of Erin, Queen-street.
Jam:s Augustus Glynn, City Hotel, Madeline-street.
Alexander Allen, Grant, Treasury Hotel, Queen-street.
John Grant, Bush Inn, Elizabeth-street.
James Gray, King's Arms Queensberry-street
Charles Groman, Golden Fleece, Russell-street.
Benjamin Halliday, George Hotel. Victoria-street.
David Hamilton, Exford Arms, Russell-street.
William Hawkins, Queen's Arms, Swanston-street
Michael Hayes, Barkly Hotel, Barkly-street.
Arthur David Harvey, White Hart, Little Bourke-street.
John Kirby, Empire Hotel, Errol-street.
Rody Heffernan, Melbourne Tavern, Lonsdale-street.
Christian Henry Heler, Star Hotel, Swanston-street.
William Henry, Blue Bell, Little Collins-street.
James Sloper Hill, Waverley Hotel, Little Collins-street.
Richard Evans Hill, Great Britain, Flinders-street
William Hinds, Ulster Family Hotel, Spring-street.
William Hockin, Commercial Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Henry Hooper, Prince of Wales, Flinders-street.
Barnett Isaacs, London Tavern, Elizabeth-street.
Harry Jenkins, Jenkins's Hotel, Swanston-street.
Joshua Jessop, Saracen's Head, Bourke-street.
Waldron Johnstone, Clarence Hotel, Collins-street.
Joseph Farrar Jones, Excelsior Hotel, Bourke-street.
Ann Jones, Yarra Family Hotel, Flinders street.
John Pritchard Jones, Welsh Harp Hotel, King-street
Charles George Jones, Jones's Hotel, William-street.
Sarah Anne Judd, Royal Oak, Queen street.
William Kavanagh, Britannia Hotel, Bourke-street.
Catherine Kelly, Galway Family Hotel, Flinders-lane.
James Kelly, Reform Hotel, Bourke-street.
William Launcelot Kelly, Argus Hotel, Collins-street
Morgan Kennedy, Edinburgh Castle, North Melbourne.
William Kennedy, Sir Walter Scott Hotel, Elizabeth-street
William Kennon, Black Eagle, Lonsdale-street,
Archibald Kyle, Cavan Hotel, Queensberry-street.
Richard Lecher, Seven Stars, Madeline-street.
Robert Lewis, Royal Railway, Elizabeth-street.
John Leyden, Lamb Inn, Elizabeth-street.
James Liddy, Adam and Eve, Little Collins-street.
Samuel Lowe, Shakspeare Hotel, Collins-street.
Henry Ludwick, Assembly, Bourke-street.
Augustus B. Macdonald, Mac's Hotel, Stephen-street.
Alexander Macgregor, Rose, Thistle, and Shamrock, Elizabeth-street.
Ronald Macgildowney, Telegraph Hotel, Little Bourke-street.
John M'Clure, Scotch Thistle, Northcote.
James Maguire, Clarendon, Collins-street.
Tbomas Maher, Victorian Railway, King-street.
David Mallett, Botanical Hotel, South Yarra.
Henry William Manuel, Royal Oak, Swanston-street.
James Marks, Cross Keys, Russell-street.
James Hall Marris, Ayrshire Hotel, Chetwyn-street.
Thomas Marris, Lincoln Inn, Rathdowne-street.
James Maver, Argyle Hotel, Lygon-street.
David Meikle, Pembroke Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Henry Mendell, Black Prince, Curzon-street.
Archibald Menzies, Menzles' Hotel, Latrobe-street.
Martin Melzger, Albert Hotel, Stephen-street.
Sutherland Miller, Southern Cross, Bourke-street.
William Mitchell, Foundry Hotel, King-street.
James Morony, Carriers' Arms, Elizabeth street.
Christian Mozer, Farmers' Arms, Little Collins-street.
Robert Cooke Moore, Melbourne Exchange Hotel, William-street.
Michael Moran, Central City, Collins-street.
Patrick Mornane, Clare Castle, Stephen-street,
William Morton, Morton's Hotel, Bourke-street.
William Muir, Corkscrew Hotel, King-street.
Ann Murray, Tam O'Shanter Hotel, Lothian-street.
John Murray, Harvest Home, Queen-street.
John Murray, New Constitution Hotel, North Melbourne.
James Nealer, Railway Hotel. Swanston-street.
Patrick Neylan, Farmers' Arms, Swanston-street.
John Neeson, Butchers' Arms, Elizabeth-street.
George Neeson, Royal George Hotel, Bourke-street.
William Nottley, Old Lincoln Inn, Queensberry-street.
Thomas Nunn, Nunn's Hotel, Bourke-street.
Denis O'Callaghan, Crown Hotel, Queen-street.
Patrick O'Connor, Mansion House Hotel, Stanley-street.
Dennis O'Halloran, Union Hotel, Bourke-street.
Charles Oakley, Temple Court Hotel, Queen-street.
Charles Ollis, Apollo Inn, Flinders-Lane.
Michael O'Meara, Lygon Hotel, Lygon-street.
Eugene O'Neil, Royal Highlander, Flinders-street.
James Orkney, Sir Charles Hotham Hotel, Flinders-street.
Thomas Orkney, Duke of Rothsay Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Charles Parsons, Victoria Hotel, Sandridge.
Elisha Pearce, British Queen, Nicholson-street.
Elizabeth Penglase, London Hotel, Market-street.
William Perritt, Freemason's Hotel, Swanston-street.
Peter Pilcher, Royal Saxon Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
William Pitt, Olympian Hotel, Lonsdale-street.
Jobn Plummer, University Hotel, Grattan-street.
Christopher Pond, Piazza Hotel, Spring-street.
Thomas Purnell, Plough Inn, Bourke-street.
Ellen Rahilly, Olive Branch Hotel, Little Collins-street.
Ellen Reed, Limerick Castle Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
John Frederick Richardson, Western Port Hotel,Queen-street.
Edward Rigby, Council Club Hotel, Queen-street.
Patrick Ring, Old Ship Inn, Russell-street.
Charles. Rupprecht, Sabloniere Hotel, Queen-street.
Daniel Ryan, Lalla Rookh, Queensberry-street.
Patrick Ryan, Colonial Bank Hotel, Little Collins-street.
Michael Ryan, Essex Hotel, Cardigan-street.
Rody Ryan, Loughmore Castle, Leveson-street.
Benoni Salway, William's Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Edward Scott, Port Phillip Club Hotel Flinders-street.
James Seymour, Friend-in-Hand Hotel, Little Collins-street.
Thomas Sheahan, Bouverie Hotel, Bouverie-street.
William Shiels, James Watt Hotel, Spencer-street.
Alexander Short, Union Hotel, Spencer-street.
Hugh Short, Australian Hotel, Bourke-street.
William Philip Simons, Governor Arthur Hotel, Little Bourke-street.
Archibald Smart, Prince George Hotel, Swanston-street
William S. Southwood, Stork Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Felix W. Spiers, Royal Hotel, Bourke-street.
George Spray, Stratford Arms, Drummond-street.
Henry Spray, Carlton Hotel, Lygon-street.
Thomas Stevens, King's Arms, Madeline-street.
Charles Stewart, Old Ship Inn, Flinders-lane.
William J. Sugden, Globe Hotel, Swanston-street.
Henry Taylor, Waterloo Inn, Little Collins-street.
Henry Thompson, New Imperial Inn, Elizabeth-street.
Alexander Thompson, Beehive Hotel, Blackwood-street
William Tilks, City Hotel, Bourke-street.
James Turner, Mercantile Hotel, King-street.
Patrick Toohey, Kilkenny Inn Lonsdale-street.
James Walley, Mistletoe Hotel, M'Kenzie-street.
Patrick Walsh, Supreme Court Hotel, Latrobe-street.
John Walker, Britannia Hotel, Swanston-street.
Charles Wedel, Criterion Hotel Collins street.
James Wheeler, Royal Railway Hotel, Elizabeth-street
Henry Williamson, Hotham Arms, North Melbourne.
Robert Wilson, Cornwall Arms, Bourke-street.
George Whitcomb, Waterman's Arms, Little Collins-street.
James Woodward, Leicester Hotel, Leicester-street.
William Wood, Duke of Kent Hotel Latrobe-street.
George Charles Wyld, Sydney Hotel, William-street.
John M'Millan, Mac's Hotel, Franklyn-street.
James Carroll, Robert Burns Hotel, Franklyn-street
The consideration of new licenses, and others in
which there was any opposition, was postponed till Tuesday 24 April 1860.
Here are the results of that meeting published on page 5 of
The Argus 25 April 1860
The Age, Thursday 19 April 1860, page 7
The Argus, Wednesday 25 April 1860, page 5
Transcription, janilye 2015
The glass negative below is Madeline-street Carlton; the Harp of Erin on the right.
Queensberry-street on left.
Madeline-street is an extension of Swanstone-street, over Grattan-street.
Melbourne, Tuesday 4 September 1855 at noon the Bench heard
applications for special licenses, transfers, &c.
The following gentlemen were on the Bench: Messrs. Sturt (chairman),
Vignolles, Hodgson, Greeves, O'Shanassy, and Noel.
The following were granted:-
Henry Russell, Liverpool Arms, Brunswick street, Collingwood,
from Joseph Hobbs.
James Bartholomew, Bull-and-Mouth Inn, Bourke-street.
from D. M'lntosh.
William Balch, Australia Felix Family Hotel, Bourke-street,
from Rachel Sawyer.
Thomas Crowle, Victoria Hotel, Little Bourke-street,
from D'Arcy Mundy.
Patrick Costello, Travellers' Home, Swanston-street,
from Michael D'Arcy.
Samuel Darby, Newmarket Hotel, Bourke and Stephen streets,
from Charles Lester.
J. E. Ellis, The Botanical Hotel, South Yarra,
from Charles Rogers.
Robert Frost, Royal Highlander, Flinders-street,
from William Blake.
Walter Ferguson, Union HoTel, Bourke-street,
from James Laurie
Edward Ford, Drewery's Family Hotel, Gertrude street, Collingwood,
from Thos. Drewery.
George W. Howse, The Parade, East Melbourne,
from John Thomas Shea.
Waldron Johnston, Clarence Hotel, Elizabeth and Collins-street,
from John Whitehead.
Michael Kelly, Australian Family Hotel, Spring-street,
from William Abbott.
David Lewis, Napoleon III , Emerald Hill, from
Wm. J. N. Lewis, Bridge Inn, Flinders-lane,
from Thomas Seaward.
Augustus M'Donald, Royal Arch Inn, Gore street, Collingwood,
from Thomas Sutherland.
John M. McKee, Duke of Kent, Latrobe-street,
from Edward Steel.
Patrick Noylan, Farmer's Arms, Swanston street,
from James Stone.
Charles Oakley, Temple Court Hotel, Queen street,
from Michael Woodlock.
E. J. Prevot, Queensberry Hotel, Madeline-street,
from C. T. Hume.
James Pasfleld, Sydney Hotel,
from Benjamin Brittell.
Henry Reynolds, Queen'e Head, Queen-street,
from William Whitmore.
James Tenniel, Market Tavern, Emerald Hill,
from George Duncan.
George Wailey, Argus Hotel, Collins street,
from Charles Wedel.
Charles Wedel, the Criterion Hotel, Collins-street,
from John E. Jones.
John Wood, the William Tell, Brunswick street,
Collingwood, from John Filgate. Adjourned Transfers.
Charles Frahm/Frahan, the Northcote Arms, Northcote,
from Augustus McDonald. Granted
Charles Baxter, Star and Garter Hotel, St. Kilda. Granted.
Thomas Bryce, Cambrian Hotel, North Melbourne. Adjourned. (refused 12 Sept)
Peter Connelly, the Carlow Hotel, Little Bourke-street. Granted.
Wilson Cornwall, the Labor in Vain, North Melbourne, adjourned. (refused 12 Sept.)
Stephen Dorman, the Highway House, Sandridge-Road, granted.
James Lawler, Belle Vue Hotel, Little Collins-street, refused.
George Lewis, the Mazeppa Hotel, Spring and Little Bourke-streets, granted.
Patrick O'Connell, the Black Prince, Curzon-street, North Melbourne, adjourned. (granted 12 Sept.)
Edward Lloyd Robinson Smith, Yarra Club House Granted.
Benoni Salway, Yarra Steam Packet Hotel Flinders-street, refused,
as being next door to a new house.
George Walder, Golden City, Cecil street, refused.
Frederick Chambers, applied for a license for a restaurant
for the Cellar of the Hall of Commerce. Mr. Frank Stephen
appeared to oppose the application on the ground that the
restaurant was not required, or adapted for the business.
It was situated next door to the Imperial Hotel, and close
to the Criterion, and there were no accomodations
suitable for an Inn provided.
Mr. Trenchard supported the application on the
ground that it was a convenience much required by
the mercantile community. The Hall of Commerce
formed a centre of the public business of the city,
and a requisition for the establishment of refreshment
rooms had been signed by every member of the
Chamber of Commerce, save one ; and by a great
number of the merchants of the city.
The Bench adjourned the application.
George Coppin applied for a license for Coppin's Olympic Hotel,
Lonsdale-street. Mr. Head opposed the application, on the ground
that Mr. Coppin already held a license for the Olympic Theatre ;
this objection he considered must be a fatal one.
The premises were not such as would be entitled to a license: they
had not been constructed in accordance with the provisions of the act,
and were communicated with by several openings to the theatre. He
was sure that Mr. Coppin had enough already to attend to with theatrical
matters without the Bench imposing on him the Herculean task of another license.
Mr. Frank Stephen supported the application. Mr.Coppin had kept one of
the first hotels in Sydney, in Pitt street, and continued to hold his
license to the satisfaction of the citizens. He was then
connected with a theatre in Sydney, and if it were competent to him to
hold a license then, it would be now. The opposition to the application
had been got up by the proprietor of the house opposite. If this were
not so there would have been a petition from the neighbors against
the granting of the license, but no such a petition had been got up,
and he was consequently justified in supposing that the present
opposition arose from interested motives. The public-house opposite
did not afford sufficient accommodation to persons who frequented the
theatre, and the privilege had already been granted to the Theatre Royal.
The petition which had been presented to the Bench had been signed by
five or six hundred respectable persons in the city.
The application was granted.
Charles Jones applied for a license for his eating house, in Little Collins street,
for the establishment of a printer's club, for the convenience of the printers
of the city. A petition signed by a great number of compositors was handed to the Bench.
The application was refused.
Catherine Featly, Little Bourke-street; Granted.
Andrew Thomas Keny, bathing-ship, Beach-street, St. Kilda. Granted.
Ann Marks/Monks, Little Lonsdale-street east. Adjourned.(granted 11 September)
John Palmer, Bourke-street east. Adjourned. (granted 11 September.)
William James Robinson, Bourke-street east. Adjourned. (granted 11 September)
Edward Costello, Collins-street. Granted.
Jacques Sibberly, Queen street. Granted.
William Robert Hawkins Robertson. Granted.
HAWKERS' AND PEDLARS' LICENSES.
The applications of the following persons
for hawkers' and pedlars' licenses were
granted on the 11 September 1855 :
Thomas Littleton, Susan Waters, John Williams, William Toun
Portrait below is George Selth Coppin
by Photographer FALK about 1890
5 October 1836
Each of the undermentioned parties residing in the division of the Island commonly called Cornwall,
has obtained a license to retail wines and spirits etc, for the period ending the
29th September in the year now next ensuing, provided it be not forfeited before such day.
George Archer, Black Swan;
John Ashton, King's Arms;
Philip Best, Currency Lass;
Joseph Barrett, King's Head ;
Edmund Bartlett, London Tavern;
George Sinclair Brodie, Caledonia Wine Vaults;
Jane Cowl, Jovial Carpenters;
J. E.Cox. Cornwall Hotel ;
Wm. Collins, Bull's Head;
James Corbett, Green Gate ;
John Daniels. Ferry House;
J. Driver, Whale Fishery ;
H. Davis, Brisbane Hotel ;
W. Frost, Launceston Hotel ;
James Hopkins, Plough ;
G. Hart, Royal Oak;
J.Ives, George and Dragon ;
Mary Lenoy, Cross Keys ;
John Moore, Rose and Thistle;
J. Main, York Wine Vaults;
W. Milne, Union ;
J. Mills, Black Lion ;
J. McKenzie, Scottish Chief;
Antonio Martini, Sawyers' Arms ;
Josias McAllan, Glasgow Tavern;
John Marsden, Star and Garter ;
D. O'Neal, Irish Harp ;
J. Pitcher, Hibernia ;
G. Radford, Golden Lion ;
Henry Reading, Edinburgh Castle;
Thomas Twinning, Kangaroo;
J. G. Thomas, George Inn ;
A. Walsh, Gardeners' Lodge ;
J. Wiggins, Black Boy ;
A. Wales, Crown ;
G. Williams, Half Moon ;
J. Whitehead, Ship Inn ;
J. Weavers, Duke of York;
J.Yates, Bricklayers' Arms;
George Coulson, Friend's Arms, River Tamar;
H. Jones, Sir William Wallace, Long Meadows ;
George Lawson, Traveller's Rest, Muddy Plains ;
R. H. Marr, Harrow, Sand-hills ;
Joseph Thorn, Blue Bell, ;
J. Williatt, William the Fourth, New River.
William Dibble, Gray's Arms.
Sarah Dickenson, Robin Hood ;
Thos. Hughes, Ross Hotel.
James Earls, Carrick Inn.
William Forbes, Westbury Inn;
Charles. Robinson, Hope Inn.
James Houghton, Mitre ;
Daniel Judson, Longford Wine and Spirit Vaults;
C. S. Kent, Crown Inn;
Samuel Cox, Bird-in-hand, Norfolk Plains East.
Richard Hesney, Tasmanian Hotel;
Richard Pitt, St. Andrew's Inn;
Isaac Solomon, Perth;
Jim.Thomas Gibson, Return of the Eagle, Snake Banks;
William Thornell, Bald-faced Stag, Epping Forest.
George Scott, Caledonian Inn.
Samuel Sherlock, White Hart ;
T. G. Williams, Waterloo Tavern.
The following is a list of the applications for publicans' licences
heard at the Annual Licensing Meeting, Tuesday 19 April 1859.
Amos, John Jervis, South Yarra Club, Punt hill.
Armitage, William, Peacock, Errol-street
Abrey, Jane, Red Lion, Londsale-street.
Alexander, Charles, Oddfellows, Little Lonsdale-street.
Allen, Joseph Weaver, Sandridge Inn, Sanridge.
Aitcheson, George, British Hotel, Queen street.
Allen, John, Olive Branch, Stephen-street.
Annett, James, Morning Star, Little Bourke street.
Brown, Henry Donovan, Waverly, Little Collins-street.
Brownlow, Samuel, Northcote Arms, Northcote.
Boniface, Benjamin, Manchester Inn, Queen street,
Bennett, Thomas Knight, Garrick's Head, Swanston-street.
Bryant, James Mark, Parade Hotel, Wellington-parade.
Bryan, Charles, Leinster Hotel, Franklin street.
Butler, Edward, Duke of York, Collins-street
Barrows, Richard, Governor Bourke, Little Lonsdale-street
Brown, Andrew, The Rising Sun, Little Bourke-street.
Brighouse, John, Royal Park, Howard-street
Butterworth, Joseph Frank, Exchange Hotel, Swanston-street.
Blannin, William, Parliamentary Hotel. Lonsdale-street
Batch, William, Australia Felix, Bourke-street.
Bourke, George, Ship Inn. Flinders-lane.
Bignall, William, Bignall's Hotel, Victoria-street.
Bultitude, James, Harp of Erin, Madeline-street.
Barben, Robert, Newmarket Hotel, Bourke-street.
Barnfield, Thomas, Eagle Hotel, Swanston-street.
Brown, Malcolm, Buck's Head, Little Lonsdale-street.
Bancroft, Richardd, City Hotel, Madeline-street.
Boobirr, William James, Colonial Hotel, Little Bourke-street.
Conroy, William C Conroy's Hotel, Victoria-street.
Crawford, John, City Hotel. Bourke-street.
Crawford, James, Saracens Head, Bourke-street.
Cameron, Alexander, Merri Jig Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Clifford, Henry R, Railway Refreshment rooms, Elizabeth-street.
Carroll, James, Robert Burns, Lonsdale-street.
Cleghorn, James, Caledonian Hotel, Jeffcott-street.
Cosgrave, John, Fitzroy Arms, King-street.
Cooper, James, Cooper's Family Hotel, Stephen-street.
Cooper, Richard Austin, Treasury Hotel, Queen-street,
Coates, Frederick, Parkside Hotel, Flemington-road.
Champion, Benjamin, Prince Patrick Hotel, La Trobe-street.
Cantwell, Johanna, Glenmore Hotel, Spencer street.
Chandler, Henry, Butchers' Arms, Elizabeth-street.
Chanter, John, Royal Highlander, Fliiiders-street.
Cronin, Daniel, Black Boy, Little Collins-street.
Currie, John, Hall of Commerce, Collins-street.
Chisholm, William King, Niagara Hotel, Lonsdale-street.
Cleal, Daniel, Cleal's Hotel, Swanston-street.
Clarkson, William, North Star Hotel, Abbotsford-street.
Colvin, James, Golden Cross, King-street.
Dowling, Thomas. Empire Hotel. Errol-street.
Doyle, Andrew, Ship Hotel, Sandridge.
Daley, William, Glasgow Arms, Elizabeth-street.
Dewis, Thomas, Sarsfield Inn, Little Bourke-street.
Dempster, Andrew, Sydney Hotel, William-street.
Dunnon, William, Builders' Arms, Cardigan-street,
Doyle, Patrick, Telegraph Hotel, Little Bourke-street.
Dunlop, William, Heather Bell, Flinders-lane.
Davidson, George, George Hotel, Victoria-street.
Downie, Charles Commercial Inn, Little Bourke-street.
Donne, George, Salutation Inn, Bourke-street.
Donovan, Christopher, Travellers' Home, Swanton-street
Dillon, James, Lamb Inn, Little La Trobe-street.
Dempsey, James, Ship Inn, Russell-street
D'Arcy, Michael, D'Arcy's Hotel, Swanston-street.
Dias, Mark, Australian Arms, Bourke-street.
Deane, Charles Edmund, Royal Charter, Bourke-street.
Dixon, Philip Garnett, Suburban Railway Refreshment-rooms, Flinders-street.
Eastwood, Henry, Prince George Hotel, Swanston-street.
Evans, Thomas South Melbourne Hotel, South Yarra.
Eager, Edward Fitzgerald, Rock of Cashel, Little Bourke-street.
Edmonds, George, Carlton Inn, Pelham-street.
Farrell, Robert, Melbourne Hotel, South Yarra.
Feinaigle, Charles Gregory, Crown Hotel, Lonsdale-street.
Feehan, Richard, City Arms, Elizabeth-street,
Filmore, Egerton J., Royal Mail, Swanston-street
Fitzgerald J-Bridget, Hibernian Hotel, Little Lonsdale-street.
Ford, Alfred, Royal Artillery, Elizabeth-street,
Flanner, William, Old White Hart, Bourke-street.
Forman, Peter, Elephant and Castle, Little Bourke-street.
Ferris, William, Royal Hotel, Flemington-road.
Gilmore, Martin, Telegraph Hotel, Little Bourke-street.
Griffiths, Thomas, Powess Arms, 99 Flinders street.
Glynn, Henry, Freemasons Tavern, Sandridge.
Gallpen, George, Haymarket Hotel, Flemington-road.
Garton, James, Pier Hotel, Sandridge.
Gallogley, George Dunn, Duke of Wellington, Flinders-street.
Gallagher,Michael, Rose of Australia, King-street.
Grant, John, Bush Inn, Elizabeth-street.
Glassbrook, Isaac Knowles, Egremont Hotel, Northcote
Geach, Thomas, Spread Eagle, Elizabeth-street.
Hayes, Michael, Barkly Hotel, Barkly-street
Hill, Richard Evans, Great Britain, Flinders-street
Henry, William, Blue Bell, Little Collins-street
Heffernan, Rody, Melbourne Tavern, Lonsdale-street.
Hamilton, David, Rose and Thistle, Lonsdale-street.
Hooper, Henry, Prince of Wales, Flinders-lane.
Hockin, William, Commercial Hotel, Elizabeth-street
Hawkins, William, Queen's Arms, Swanston-street.
Heier, Christian H., Star Hotel, Swanston-street.
Hills, Thomas, Tattersall's Hotel, Lonsdale-street
Hill, John. Erin Hotel, Bouverie-street.
Hinds, Willam, Ulster Family Hotel, Spring-street.
Hassett, John, Young Queen, Therry-street.
Holmes, Robert, Victoria Hotel, Sandridge
Holland, William, Globe Inn, Swanston-street.
Hayward, George, Bull and Mouth, Bourke-street
Jones, Jos. F., Excelsior Hotel, Bourke-street
Johnston, Waldron, Clarence Hotel, Collins-street
Jordan, John, Rainbow Hotel, Little Collins-street
Judd, Sarah Ann, Royal Oak, Queen-street
Jones, Charles George, Jones's Family Hotel William-street
James, Daniel Gray, Waterman's Arms, Nott-street Sandridge.
Jones, Charles, Colonial Bank Hotel, Little Collins-street
Johnston, James, Canada Hotel, Queensberry-street
Jenkins, Harry, Jenkins's Hotel, Swanston-street
Jones, John Yarra Family Hotel, Flinders-street
Isaacs, John Andrade, Crown Hotel, Queen-street
Isaacs, Barnet, London Tavern, Elizabeth-street
Kyle, Archibald, Cavan Hotel, Queensberry-street
Kelly, James, Reform Hotel, Bourke-street.
Kelly, Patrick, Galway Family Hotel, Flinders lane.
Kennedy, Morgan, Edinburgh Castle, Courtney-street.
Kennedy, William, Sir Walter Scott, Elizabeth-street.
Kennon, William, Black Eagle, Lonsdale-street.
Kennedy, John, Lalla Rookh, Queensberry-street
Kelly, William Launcelot, Argus Hotel, Collins-street
Keller, William, Golden Fleece, Russell-street.
Keppel, Maurice, Old Governor Bourke, Spring-street.
Laffen, James, King's Arms, Queensberry-street.
Lecher, Richard, Seven Stars, Queensberry-Street.
Lowe, Samuel, Shakespeare, Collins-street,
Liddy, James, Adam and Eve, Little Collins-street.
Lynch, James, Golden Age, La Trobe-street.
Leyden, John, Lamb Inn, Elizabeth-street.
Mark, James, Cross Keys, Lonsdale-street
Mickle, David, Pembroke Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
M'Millan, James, Carriers' Arms, Elizabeth-Street,
Muir, Matthew, Mac's Hotel, Franklyn-Street.
M'Gregor, Alexander, Supreme Court Hotel, La Trobe-street.
Murray, George, Tam O'shanter, Lothian-street
Murray, John, Constitution Hotel, Lothian-Street.
Menzies, Archibald, Menzies' Hotel, La Trobe street
Miller, Sutherland, Southern Cross Hotel, Bourke-street.
Meaney, Daniel, Harvest Home Hotel, Flinders-street.
Mallett, David, Botanical Hotel, South Yarra.
Morris, James Nall, Ayrshire Hotel, Chetwynd-Street.
Murray, John, Harvest Home Hotel, Flinders-street.
Moore, Robert Cooke, Exchange Hotel, William-street,
Moser, Christian, Farmers' Hotel, Little Collins-street.
Merton, William, Tavistock Hotel, Bourke-street
Marris, Thomas, Lincoln Inn Cardigan-street
Murray, Margaret, Railway Hotel, Sandridge
Manuell, Henry William, Royal Oak Hotel Swanston-street.
Moran, Michael, Central City Hotel, Collins-street.
Mills, Stephen, Chusan Hotel, Sandridge.
Mendel, Henry, Black Prince Hotel Curzon-street
Mitchell, William, Foundry Hotel, King-street
M'Cowen, Thomas, Spanish Hotel, Elizabeth-street
M'Carthy, Thomas, Kerry Hotel, King-street.
M'Donald, Augustus, Tavistock, Hotel, Queen-street.
Muir, William, Corkscrew Hotel, King-street.
Maroney, James, Carriers' Arms, Elizabeth-street
M'Guire, James, Clarendon Hotel, Collins-street
M'Gregor, John, Rose, Thistle, and Shamrock, Elizabeth-street.
Metzger, Martin, Albert Hotel, Stephen-street.
Norman, Patrick, Clare Castlea, Stephen-street.
Maher, Thomas, Railway Hotel, King-street.
M'Lean, Jolm, Scotch Thistle, Northcote.
M'Girr, William Peter, Railway Refreshment rooms, Sandridge.
Nicholson, Robert, Governor Arthur, Little Bourke-street.
Nutter, Edward, Hotham Arms, Leveson-street.
Neeson, John, Paddington! Hotel, Little Collins-street
Nissen, George, Royal George, Bourke-street.
Nunn, Thomas, Nunn's Hotel, Bourke-street.
Nealer, James, Railway Hotel, Swanston-street.
Orknoy, James, Sir C. Hotham Hotel, Flinders-street
O'Halloran, Dennis, Union Hotel, Bourke-street.
Oakley, Charles, Temple-court Hotel, Queen-street.
O'Callaghan, Owen, Woolpack Inn, Queen-street
O'Brien, James, Madeline Hotel, Madeline-street.
Ottaway, George, Queen's Head Hotel, Queen-street.
O'Connor, Patrick, Mansion House Hotel, Stanley-street.
Orkney, Thomas, Duke of Rothesay Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Ollis, Charles, Apollo Inn, Little Flinders-street.
Punch, Richard, Leinster Arms, Lonsale-street
Perritt, William, Freemasons' Hotel, Swanston-street.
Pemberton, Thomas Lloyd, Royal Hotel Sandrldge.
Power, James, White Hart Hotel, Little Bourke-street.
Paynter, Robert, Mechanics' Arms, Little Collins-street.
Pitt, William, Olympian Hotel, Lonsdale-street.
Pierce, Elisha, British Queen, Nicholson-street.
Phelan, Michael, Farmers' Arms, Swanston-street
Purneil, Thomas, Royal Saxon, Elizabeth-street
Prendergast, Patrick, Assembly Hotel, Bourke-street.
Penglese, Elizabeth, London Hotel, Market-street.
Plomer, John, University Hotel, Grattan-street.
Price, Thomas, Leinster Arms, Lonsdale-street.
Boss, William Alfred, Princess's Hotel, Spring-street.
Reed, Ellen, Limerick Castle, Elizabeth-street
Robertson, Lachlan, Queensberry Hotel, Madeline-street
Richards, Thomas, United States Hotel, Sandridge.
Ryan, Michael, Windsor Castle, Little Bourke-street,
Ryan, John, Joiners' Arms, Queensberry-street.
Rahilly, Patrick, Olive Branch, Little Collins-street
Richardson, John Frederick, Western Port Hotel, Queen-street.
Ryan, Rody, Loughnan Castle, Leveson-street
Ryan, Andrew, Britannia Hotel, Queen-street.
Rigby, Edward, Council Club Hotel, Queen-street.
Rupprecht, Charles, Sabloniere Hotel, Queen-street
Richardson, Richard, Royal Hotel, Victoria-street.
Short, Hugh, Australian Hotel, Bourke-street.
Stephens, Thomas, King's Arms Hotel, Madeline-street.
Simpson, George, Royal Charter Hotel, Bourke-street.
Simpson, James, Mercantile Hotel, Flinders-street.
Sheahan Thomas, Bouverie Hotel, Bouverie-street
Swannie, David, Howard Hotel, North Melbourne.
Southwood, William Stocker, Stork Hotel, Elizabeth-street
Stirling, John, Beehive., Hotel, Blackwood-street.
Shields, William, James Watt Hotel, Spencer-street.
Spray, Henry, Stratford Arms, Drummond-street.
Seymour, James, Friend-in-Hand Hotel, Little Collins-street.
Salway, Benoni, Williams's Hotel, Elizabeth-street
Spiers, Felix William, Royal Hotel, Bourke-street.
Scott, Edwaid, Port Phillip Club Hotel, Flinders-street
Simms, George, Bay View Hotel, Sandridge-street.
Sheedy, Michael, Plough Inn, Bourke-street.
Schadowsky, Henry Gustav, Imperial Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Spence, Francis, Spanish Hotel, Elizabeth-street
Taylor, Henry, Waterloo Hotel, Little Collins-street
Tookey, Patrick, Kilkenny Hotel, King-street.
Taylor, William, All Nations Hotel, Sandridge.
Walley, James, Mistletoe Hotel, M'Kenzie-street.
Wheeler, James, Royal Railway Hotel, Elizabeth-street.
Watson, John. Albion Hotel, Bourke-street.
Wedel, Charles, Criterion Hotel, Collins-street.
Wright, Walter, Marine Hotel, Sandridge.
Wallack, Joseph, Original Scottish Hotel, Bourke-street,
Woodward, James, Leicester Hotel, Leicester-street
Washford, Edward, Exford Arms Hotel, Russell-street.
Walker, John, Britannia Hotel, Swanston-street.
Wood, William, Duke of Kent Hotel, La Trobe-street,
Witcomb, George, Waterman's Arms, Little Collins-street.
Wilson, Hugh, Metropolitan Hotel, William-street.
Wilson, Robert, Cornwall Arms, Bourke-street.
When John Turnbull and his wife, Ann
Warr Turnbull, left their native village of
Annan in Dumfriesshire in Scotland (Annan,
by the way, is just across the border
from the English town of Carlisle in Cumberland)
Annan is also famous as being
the birth place of Lieut. Col. George Johnston,
the crusher of the Rouse Hill rebellion of 1804,
later on to become the tool of that unspeakable
bully and land monopolist, John Macarthur, and when George
Johnston received grants for his service
to the military oligarchy (the Rum Corps officials),
he used his native town's name as a prefix to his several
estates, hence, Annandale, Annan Lodge, Annangrove, etc.
But to come back to the Pioneer Turnbulls.
John Turnbull had established a business
in London as a tailor's cutter, where he
had pursued that calling since about the
age of 22 years. When in the year 1802 the
couple heard that free settlers were wanted
in New South Wales to cultivate the
soil, he was induced to come here along
with nine other families, with the promise
of 100 acres of land each on their arrival,
and rations for a certain period afterwards,
with the services, of two assigned Govern-
ment men, assured also to them. (Settlers
were usually allowed one assigned man for
each 50 acres in their possession.) The
story of Australia can be told in the lives
of such as this worthy couple and their descendants.
The Turnbulls' early struggles, as told
in the lives of these pioneers, contain
strange chapters of personal effort, fierce
hardships, of defeat and victory, of disaster
and triumph. The practical elements
which made for success were predominant
and to the fore. It was but the qualities
of endurance and strength which tell in a
new country. Of the Turnbulls, it may
be said they were what faith and circum-
stance made them. John Turnbull must
have been of rugged, persevering stock,
with the blood of the old Covenanters in
him, and his life's story is well worth the
telling. John Turnbull, pioneer, the found-
er of the family of Hawkesbury Turnbulls,
was born in the year 1750, learnt the trade
of a tailor's cutter, and with his wife set
up in business in London, where a number
of children were born, those being the
names of the English-born children of
John and Ann Warr Turnbull, and their
respective ages were in the year 1802 (as
per "Coromandel" list).—Ralph (I.), aged
10 years; Mary, aged 5 years; James, aged
4 years; and Jessica, aged 19 months. After
this pioneer couple acquired the 100 acres
land grant just below where stands Ebenezer
Church on the Hawkesbury, and where the pioneer
built a stone residence on a high headland of
the river (still there) the place is worthy
of preserving, in all conscience. There it was
that great and good man, Dr. J. D. Lang, was 'put up'
on the various occasions of his visits to the
Hawkesbury, and to the worthy minister
Pioneer Turnbull told his experience at
the hands of Governor King on his arrival
by the "Coromandel" on the 13th June,
1802. After personally interviewing each
settler that arrived on that occasion, the
Governor, coming to Turnbull, exclaimed,
''One foot in the grave and the other out
of it! What brought you here, old man?"
It is remarkable of the physical fitness and
diligence that the pioneer lived to the age
of 86 years; indeed, the Ebenezer "Burial
Register Entry" of John Turnbull's death
records his age at death as being 91 years!
On the 100 acres of land was grown wheat
and other cereal crops. John Turnbull's
name often appears in the lists of tenders
for supplies to the Government in issues of
'The Sydney Gazette' newspaper of wheat, pork and beef.
On the Turnbull grant was also a fine orchard planted by
the pioneer, where various kinds of stoneand citrus fruits
grew in abundance.
On one occasion Pioneer Turnbull, in the late
twenties of last century, was taking a cart
load of peaches for sale into the markets at Sydney and
was 'stuck up' by that notorious bushranger of the time,
Russel Crawford, on the Parramatta-road, near what is now
Grace Bros. establishment.
The old pioneer held his own and beat the
ruffian off until assistance arrived.
I may here remark that Russel Crawford
in the year 1832 was hanged in Sydney after
his conviction for attempting to murder
Mr. George Banks Suttor by stealing up
on the back of the chaise in which Suttor
was driving and delivering him a violent
blow on the head. That blow affected Mr.
Suttor all the rest of his life, although he
lived to the great age of 80 years, only dy-
ing on the 27th October, 1879 (after a fall
from his buggy) at his ancestral home residence
and farm 'Chelsea Park,' Baulkham Hills (the
original George Suttor's grant).
The story of Mr. George Banks Suttor and
his wife, Jane Johnston, an Australian-born
daughter of Andrew Johnston the first, will
be told later.
To come back to Pioneer Turnbull, I find
that he was one of the settlers who in the
year 1816 gave a donation of ten shillings
to the "Waterloo Fund", to be sent to England
to relieve widows and orphans whose soldier-husbands
were killed in the Battle of Waterloo (1815). That
list contained the names of 239 subscribers in all, and
the amount in cash collected totalled £231/8/-
(quite a respectable sum of money in
those days). From time to time I intend
to quote the amounts given by Hawkesbury
pioneers that came by the "Coromandel"
not in any way for comparison, but to
show their unswerving loyalty to the old
land, and also for their good deeds of
charity to those bereaved by war. Ralph
Turnbull (I.), eldest and English-born son
of the pioneer, contributed £1 to this fund.
But on of the proudest achievements,
that can be spoken of with pride by the de-
scendants of John Turnbull the first, is the
fact of his being one of the main princi-
pals (it may be said that there were fifteen
in all) who were the founders of Ebenezer
Church. In a family bible of the pioneer
there is inscribed in his handwriting: 'I
have agreed this day to contribute £5 per
year to a minister for Ebenezer Chapel'
for a date in the year 1817 (for which exact
date and month the writer has mislaid his
note). There was also a note stating the
date of his arrival in the 'Coromandel' in
the year 1802. All these references are
extremely valuable for the recorders of his-
tory, because when notes of events are
made at the actual times one can judge
them as being quite veracious and accurate.
After the pioneer occupied his holding at
Ebenezer there were born to John and Ann
Warr Turnbull three Australian-born chil-
dren, respectively named: John (II.), born
year 1804; George (I.), born year 1806; and
William Bligh, born year 1809.
It is a great misfortune that no portraits
of the Pioneers of Ebenezer exist, of any
of those famous in after years that came
by the 'Coromandel.' The reason is very
simple — the earliest form of daguerrotype
photo was not invented until the year 1839,
and then in very imperfect form; and most-
ly all of the pioneers died before that year
with a few exceptions, and in those excep-
tions no efforts had been made by the
families to secure pictures of their ances-
tors; but the times were hard, and the
pioneers did not appear to have been will-
ing to leave the old places. In some cases
the pioneers' children did not even visit
the neighboring town of Windsor on any
occasion but once. So that it is our mis-
fortune that we cannot look upon their
faces and see what manner of folk they
loked in replica and in life.
To return to John Turnbull (I.). The
pioneer himself appears to have been a
rigid Presbyterian, although it has been
stated that all of the men folk who were
original founders and thus fathers of Ebe-
nezer Church were Nonconformists, or dis-
senting Protestants to the forms of divers
church forms of service. My own opinion
is that Turnbull was a staunch believer in
the Presbyterian form of service. How-
ever that may be, Mrs. Ann Warr Turn-
bull was an adherent of the Church of Eng-
land form of worship, and when that good
woman died her sentiments and wishes
were respected. At her request, Mrs. Ann
Turnbull at her death was buried in the
beautiful burial ground of St. John's
Church of England on the hill at Wilber-
force. Perhaps in all Australia there is
no more beautiful a cemetery than it, over
looking the delightful valley of the Hawkesbury.
The inscription- there says:-
To the Memory of
Mrs. ANN TURNBULL,
Wife of Mr. John Turnbull,
Who departed this life December 19th, 1819,
Aged 54 years.
With A.T. on footstone on grave.
Alongside is the grave of her English
born daughter, Mary, who was married
firstly to James Hartley and secondly to
James Wright. On a smaller headstone is
Sacred to the Memory of
(Mrs.) MARY WRIGHT,
Who departed this life February 11th, 1825.
Aged 28 years.
Actually this lady, was 30 years of age,
according to my 'Coromandel' list, and I
take that list of names and ages to be au-
There were four children left as orphans
after Mrs. Wright's death, two boys and
Ralph Turnbull (I.), the English-born,
son of the pioneer, married firstly Miss
Grace Cavanough, daughter of Owen
Cavanough (I.), a seaman, one time of the
'Sirius,' but long since a farmer-settler
at Ebenezer, and later of the first branch
of the Hawkesbury (Colo, as it was called
afterwards). By Grace Cavanough Ralph
Turnbull (I.) had five children— Ralph
Turnbull (II), who married firstly Miss
Sarah Reynolds, and secondly Miss Sarah
Cross. The second Ralph (or 'Rafe,' as
Hawkesbury people sound it) was the father
of Ralph (III.) and William Turnbull (twin
sons), both of Wilberforce, and of Mrs.
Lucinda Lockart, of Windsor, and others,
the mother being, of course, the first wife
(nee Sarah Reynolds). It is interesting to
know that Mrs. Lockart still has in her
keeping the white waistcoat which her
father wore at the marriage ceremony with
Miss Sarah Reynolds, which took place at
Colo in the year 1840. The vest appears
quite as good to-day as it then was. The
texture must have been good, of good ma-
terial. Ralph Turnbull (II.) married the
second time when he was 73 years of age,
to Miss Sarah Cross. The second wife predeceased
him, dying on the 8th of November, 1898, aged 58 years.
Mrs. Sarah Reynolds-Turnbull died
October 15th, 1886, aged 63 years.
Ralph Turnbull (II.) died at the age of
86 years and 8 months, on the
14th February, 1901, at Wilberforce. They
are buried in a family grave along with
other members of his family at St. John's
Other children of Ralph Turnbull (I) and
his wife Grace Cavanough were respective
ly:— Mary, who became firstly Mrs. James
Dunston, secondly Mrs. Gurney; Elizabeth,
who became Mrs. John Dunston; Ann who
became Mrs. Richard Cox; (this lady was
the mother of Alderman Samuel Cox, of Pitt
Town); John, who married firstly Miss
Elizabeth Arnold, and also a second time
(writer cannot just now locate the name).
Ralph Turnbull (I.) by his second wife
Mrs. Mary Ann Riley Turnbull, had the fol-
lowing children:— Eliza, Jane, Sarah, Maria
and Andrew. The second wife of Ralph
Turnbull (I.) long out-lived him. She mar-
ried also a second time, to Mr. James Fer-
ris, to whom she bore a large family. That
family removed to Grafton, N.S. Wales
where Mrs. Mary Turnbull Ferris died.
Ralph Turnbull (I.) is buried alongside his
first wife (nee Grace Cavanough) at St.
Thomas' burying ground, Sackville, where
the inscriptions read:-
Sacred to the Memory of
Mrs. GRACE TURNBULL,
Who departed this life Feby. 1st, 1828
Aged 33 years.
The other reads:-
Sacred to the Memory of
Mr. RALPH TURNBULL,
Who departed this life November 18th, 1840,
Aged 49 years.
Mr. Ralph Turnbull (I.) originally had
a grant of land which had been promised to
his father, dated 14th June, 1811, of 60
acres, adjoining the original 100 acres
Turnbull grant, the actual grant of which
was not made until just a month before
Ralph's death, the date being 21st October,
1840. However, Ralph Turnbull (I.) had a
nice grant of good land at Colo, of 100
acres, which he lived on continuously and
reared two families there. Although
the date of promise is given as 1st Decem-
ber, 1821, the grant itself was only made
on the 8th February, 1836.
Mr. Ralph Turnbull (I.) named the Colo
property 'Andale,' situate on the Colo
River, and adjoining Owen Cavanough's
(I.) grant, as the records say. It is evident
that Ralph (I.) named the place 'Anndale,'
after his mother's Christian name, but due
to lack of knowledge of spelling, the clerk
in the Surveyor-General's Department, Syd-
ney, of the time, misspelt it. I am of opin-
ion that that farm at Colo is a very histori-
cal place for many reasons, of which more
anon. I believe it to be the exact place
whereon lived Mrs. Mary Hartley (nee
Mary Turnbull, of the 'Coromandel').
Some time again I will refer to a Siletta
orange tree that is still existing on 'An-
dale,' and bearing fruit each year, though
it is over 90 years old. It was planted by
Mrs. Gurney, Ralph's eldest daughter,
Mary, when she was a mere girl.
I come now to Miss Jessica Turnbull the
second English-born daughter of the pion-
eer, whose age was one year and seven
months when Mr. and Mrs. Turnbull came
aboard the 'Coromandel' 'at Deptford on
the Thames in the year 1802. This very
good woman when she arrived at the age of
19 years married Mr. Denis Benjamin Kirwan
who had a grant of 40 acres of land
at Sackville. Tizzana vineyard and the
stone house used as a residence by Dr.
Fiaschi is in the main the actual building
erected by Mr. Kirwan. Of course there
have been many additions made to the
house by the doctor, who has also vastly
increased the original property in area by
purchase from other holders. Mr. D. B.
Kirwan had a flour mill on his grant which
was worked by a water-wheel. Grain was
brought for gristing to it by settlers from
up and down the river for many miles dis-
tant. The memory of the old mill wheel
is still mentioned by old Hawkesburyites,
but it long since is a thing of the past.
(The writer would be pleased to know of
anyone having a picture, of it.)
RALPH TURNBULL (II.),
son of the first Ralph Turnbull and Grace
Cavanough Turnbull. Born year 1815.
Died at Wilberforce 14th February, 1901,
aged 86 years and 8 months.
The writer wishes to express his thanks
to Miss M. D. Turnbull, of "Karoola," Wilberforce,
for the use of her paternal, grandfather's picture.
The writer is also largely indebted to Mrs. Lucinda Lockart,
of Windsor, for her help in many ways.
Mrs. Jessica Kirwan bore ten daughters
and two sons to Mr. Kirwan. The eldest
girl, who married a Mr. Everingham (Eliza-
beth Everingham) lived on her property
facing the river Hawkesbury at the rear of
Tizzana cellars and residence, and a large
tomb is still to be seen there wherein Mrs.
Elizabeth Everingham was buried. The
other daughters were: Diana (Mrs. Mil-
lington), Matilda Z. (Mrs. McFetridge), Ann
(Mrs. Hopkins), Phoebe (Mrs. Sanday),
Adelaide (Mrs. Thomas Cross), Victoria
(Mrs. Weldon), and three daughters named
respectively Henrietta, Harriet and Ange-
lina, who died as young women (unmar
ried). The two sons were Hiram John
Kirwin, who married a Miss Charlotte Ar-
nold; this latter couple had in all 11 chil-
dren; and Colclough Kirwan, who perished
in the bush near Blackall, Queensland; the
latter was unmarried.
Amongst the many who knew Mrs. Jessica Kirwan
in life is Mr. Hiram A. Turnbull, of Rose Bay, Sydney,
who as a lad used to carry the mail post-bag between
Windsor and Sackville. He refers to her
as a dear old lady, who used to keep some-
thing nice for him when on the trips he
arrived at her house. One of her grand-
daughter's says of Mrs. Jessica Kirwarn that
for over the period of 60 years in which
she lived in the same house, she never slept
a night from under its roof . For over 30
years Mrs. Kirwan was a widow, generally
one or more of her daughters being with
her until her death. At St. Thomas' burial
ground at Sackville, in a family grave
where the three unmarried daughters are
laid, also is a headstone which is
Sacred to the Memory of
DENIS BENJAMIN KIRWAN,
Died Octr. 15th, 1851,
Aged 57 years.
Also, to the Memory of
(nee Jessica Turnbull)
Died April 1st, 1882,
Aged 82 years. (84. — G. G. R.)
'Waken, O Lord, our drowsy sense,
To walk this dangerous road,
And if our souls are hurried hence,
May they be found with God.
With footstones: D.B.K., 1851, and J.K.,
James Turnbull, the second English-born
son of John and Ann Turnbull, never married,
but lived in the Hawkesbury district
most of his life. He died about 1882 in
the Windsor Hospital, and is buried in the
churchyard of St. Matthew's at that town.
He must have attained the age of 85 years,
for his age was given as four years old in
the year 1802 by his parents. In a further
article I shall have more to say of James
The Australia-born children of John and Mary Turnbull were John (II.) who
was the eldest of the three sons, being born
in the year 1804 at Ebenezer. John Turn-
bull (II.), like his English-born brother,
James, never married. The inscription in
the churchyard at Ebenezer in the Turn-
bull enclosure reads:-
In Memory of
JOHN TURNBULL, Junr. (II.)
Died July 2nd, 1881,
Aged 77 years.
That in memory of the pioneer, progeni-
tor and founder of the family reads: -
In Memory of
JOHN TURNBULL (I.),
Died June 7th, 1834,
Aged 86 years.
A rather misleading tablet to the pion-
eer's wife has of late years been placed on
the same gravestone. I think it should
have fully stated that her remains were
interred at St. John's, Wilberforce. From the
wording as it is now (1923) future historians
will think that Mrs. Ann Turnbull
is buried in the same enclosure, whereas it
is not so, for reasons which I have express-
The second Australian-born son of John
and Ann Turnbull was George Turnbull,
who was born in the year 1806. He married
Miss Louisa Chaseling at Sackville Reach
chapel on October 9th, 1826, the officiating
minister being the Rev. Matthew Devenish
Meares. To this couple in course of time
were born 12 children, 6 sons and 6 daugh-
ters, one of the sons being George Turn-
bull (II.), father of Hiram A. Turnbull,
clothing manufacturer of Sydney (residing
at Rose Bay). This gentleman's father was
married to a Miss Maria Greentree. Mr.
Thomas Turnbull, of Eastwood (still on
deck) is another son of George and Louisa
Chaseling Turnbull. This gentleman is
married to Miss Elizabeth Manning, and
the couple recently celebrated their golden
wedding anniversary. Another son of
George and Louisa Chaseling Turnbull is
Mr. John Warr Turnbull, of 'Kelso,' Sack-
ville, who was married to a Miss Ann Manning.
This Mrs. Turnbull died nearly 12
months ago, and is buried at Ebenezer,
likewise also is Mr. George Turnbull (II.)
and his wife, Mrs. Maria Turnbull.
In passing it might be stated that some
of the descendants of Pioneer Turnbull
stuck to Presbyterianism, and others, nota-
bly the families of Ralph Turnbull I., II.,
and III., all embraced Church of England-
ism. In any case it is worth remarking as
a 'family psychology' of Faith originating
in the pioneers and pioneeresses particular
beliefs. It is greatly to the credit of all
those notable people that they were so
broad-minded in their Protestantism
(which of itself is almost enough).
The third Australian-born son of John
and Ann Turnbull was named William Bligh
Turnbull. He was born at Ebenezer on the
8th of June, 1809. At the age of 28 years
Mr. W. Bligh Turnbull was married at
Ebenezer Church to Miss Elizabeth Wilson,
aged 17 years. That was in the year 1838,
the officiating minister being the Rev. John
Cleland. About the month of December,
1868, Mr. William Bligh Turnbull, with
his wife and family left the Hawkesbury
and went to reside at Kempsey, on the
Macleay River, where he had purchased
a farming property. This couple had in
all a family of 11 children, 8 boys and 3
girls. W. B. Turnbull was very successful
on his farm. He died on the 11th of June,
1892, at the age of 83 years, and is buried
in Euroka cemetery, near Kempsey.
GEO. G. REEVE.
Windsor and Richmond Gazette
Friday 6 April 1923
Transcription, janilye 2014
The Pioneers of Ebenezer Church were:
Thomas Arndell and Elizabeth (Burley)
Paul Bushell and Jane (Sharp) (deceased) and Isabella (Brown)
Captain John Grono and Elizabeth (Bristow)
Owen Cavanough and Margaret (Dowling)
William Jacklin and Mary (Cardell) (deceased) and Elizabeth (Connell)
John Suddis and Isabella Suddis
James Davison and Jane ( Johnston)
George Hall and Mary (Smith)
John Howe and Frances (Ward)
Andrew Johnston and Mary (Beard)
John Johnstone and Elizabeth (Lewins)
James Mein and Susannah (Skene)
William Stubbs and Sarah (Wingate)
John Turnbull and Ann (Warr)
In 2006 decendant, and Australia's current Prime Minister Malcolm Bligh Turnbull donated a considerable sum towards the restoration of the Ebenezer Church
Warning: Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples should be aware that this website contains images and names of people who have since passed away
On Saturday afternoon 6 March 1869 the remains
of William Lanne or as he was generally called,
"King Billy," the last male Aboriginal of Tasmania,
were committed to the grave in presence of a
very large concourse of the citizens.
On the announcement of the "death of the last man,"
it was generally supposed that the funeral would
be made a public affair, and that some part in
the arrangements would be taken by the Government;
the first announcement made, however, was simply to
the effect that the funeral would move from the establishment
of Mr. Millington, Undertaker, of Murray-street,
at 9 a.m. on Saturday, and inviting friends of the
deceased to attend. As previously stated by us,
the body had been removed from the Dog and
Partridge Hotel, where the man died, to the
dead-house at the Hospital, and on an order
being sought for its removal to the undertakers,
it was declined, on the ground that as the body
was of the greatest scientific value, the authorities
were determined to do all in their power to
protect it. An application to the Colonial Secretary
met with the same reply, and the hon. Sir Richard Dry
sent positive instructions to Dr. Stokell that the body
of "King Billy" should be protected from mutilation,
on this subject, however, we have more to communicate presently.
On its being ascertained that the authorities were taking no
steps respecting the obsequies, the matter was taken in
hand by Mr. J. W. Graves, and invitations were
issued to a number of old colonists and natives,
requesting their attendance, the funeral being
postponed until 2 o'clock. At that hour between
fifty and sixty gentlemen presented themselves
at the institution, and found all in readiness for
the burial. Rumours had, meanwhile, got afloat
to the effect that the body had been tampered
with, and Capt. McArthur, Mr. Colvin, and
some others interested in the deceased, from his
connection with the whaling trade, requested
that the coffin should be opened in order to
satisfy their minds that the ceremony of burial
was not altogether a "vain show." This was
done by Mr. Graves, and the body was seen, by
those who desired to see it, in the condition
which will be hereafter described. The lid was
then again screwed down, and at the suggestion
of some of those present the coffin was sealed. In
connection with this part of the proceedings a
singular accident occurred. On a seal being
asked for, it was found that there was not such a
thing in the institution, but on a search being
made in the dispensary an old brass stamp was
found, and on its being impressed upon the wax,
it left the simple word "world." What such an
odd seal could have been cut for is unknown, but
its turning up under such circumstances, and its
accidental use to seal down the coffin of the last
man of his race, is a circumstance so singular as
to be worth recording. Having been duly sealed,
the coffin was covered with a black opossum skin
rug, fit emblem of the now extinct race to which
the deceased belonged ; and on this singular
pall were laid a couple of native spears and
waddies, round which were twined the ample
folds of a Union Jack, specially provided by the
shipmates of the deceased. It was then mounted
upon the shoulders of four white native lads,
part of the crew of the Runneymede, who
volunteered to carry their aboriginal countryman
to his grave. Their names were, John Silvester,
John Timms, James Davis, and George Attwell.
The pall was borne by Captain Hill, of the
Runneymede, himself a native of Tasmania, and
by three colored seamen, John Bull, a native of
the Sandwich Islands, Henry Whalley, a half-
caste native of Kangaroo Island, S. A., and
Alexander Davidson, an American. The chief
mourners were Captain McArthur, of the whaling
barque Aladdin, and Captain Bayley, owner
of the whaling barque Runneymede. Among the
mourners were nearly all the masters of vessels in
port, and many gentlemen connected with the
whaling trade. There was also a large muster of
old colonists and native born Tasmanians. As
the procession moved along Liverpool and Murray
streets to St. David's Church it gathered strength,
and was followed by a large concourse of spectators.
The Rev. F. H. Cox read the service, and
preceded the body to the grave, clothed in his
surplus. On leaving the church the procession numbered
from a hundred to a hundred and twenty
mourners, and the event re-called to the minds of
the old colonists present many an interesting
episode of the early days of the colony, and of
that race, the last male representative of which
was about to be consigned to his tomb. At the
cemetery the Rev. Mr. Cox read the second
portion of the impressive burial service of the
English Church, and the grave closed over
"King Billy" the breast-plate on whose coffin
bore the simple inscription "William Lanne,
died March 3rd, 1869. Aged, 34 years."
MUTILATION OF THE BODY.
Notwithstanding the precautions above referred
to, the body of poor "King Billy" has not been
respected, nor does the grave around which so
many persons gathered on Saturday, contain a
vestige of Tasmania's "last man." It is a
somewhat singular circumstance that although it
has been known for years that the race was be-
coming extinct, no steps have ever been taken in
the interests of science to secure a perfect skeleton
of a male Tasmanian aboriginal. A female skeleton is
now in the Museum, but there is no male, consequently
the death of "Billy Lanne" put our surgeons on the alert.
The Royal Society, anxious to obtain the skeleton for
the Museum, wrote specially to the Government upon the
subject, setting forth at length the reasons why,
if possible, the skeleton should be secured to
them. The Government at once admitted their
right to it, in preference to any other institution,
and the Council expressed their willingness at
any time to furnish casts, photographs, and all
other particulars to any scientific society
requiring them. Government, however, declined
to sanction any interference with the body,
giving positive orders that it should be decently
buried; nor did they feel at liberty to give
their sanction to any future action which might
be taken; although it is needless to say that so
valuable a skeleton would not have been permitted to
remain in the grave, and possibly no
opposition would have been made to its removal,
had it been taken by those best entitled to hold
it in the interests of the public and of science,
and without any violation of decency.
Besides the Royal Society, it seems that there
were others who desired to secure Billy Lanne's skeleton,
and who were determined to have it in spite of the
positive orders of the Colonial Secretary.
The dead-house at the Hospital was entered on Friday night,
the head was skinned and the skull carried away,
and with a view to conceal this proceeding, the
head of a patient who had died in the hospital
on the same day, or the day previously, was
similarly tampered with and the skull placed
inside the scalp of the unfortunate native, the
face being drawn over so as to have the appear-
ance of completeness, On this mutilation being
discovered the members of the Council of the
Royal Society were greatly annoyed, and feeling
assured that the object of the party who had
taken the skull was afterwards to take the body
from the grave, and so possess himself of the perfect
skeleton, it was resolved to take off the feet and
hands and to lodge them in the museum, an opera-
tion which was carefully done. The funeral then
took place as above described. On the mutilation
of the bodies in the dead-house becoming known,
a letter was addressed by the Colonial Secretary
to Dr. Stokell, requiring a report upon tho case,
and we have it upon the very highest authority
that Dr. Stokell reported the circumstances much
as they are described above, informing the
Colonial Secretary that the only persons who
had been present in the dead-house during Friday
night were a surgeon, who is one of the
honorary medical officers, his son, who is a
student, and the barber of the institution, and
neither of those persons were seen to remove
anything from the hospital. It is believed, how-
ever, that the skull was thrown over the wall at
the back of the dead-house with a string attached
to it, and that it was scoured by a confed-
erate stationed in the creek on the other side.
Those reports occasioned a very painful impression
among those present at the funeral, and a
deputation consisting of Messrs. Colvin,
McArthur, and Bayley,waited upon Sir Richard
Dry in the evening, and requested that steps
should be taken to have the grave watched
during the night. Sir Richard at once acquiesced
in the proposal, and instructions were given to
the police, but in some way they miscarried,
possibly owing to the fact that they were not
communicated through His Worship the Mayor,
and the consequence was that the grave was found
disturbed yesterday morning, when Constable
Mahony reported that the earth had been re
moved, that a skull had been found lying on the
surface, that a part of the coffin was visible, and
that the ground surrounding the grave was
saturated with blood. During the morning this
report spread through the city, and several
hundreds of persons visited the cemetery in the
afternoon. On the facts being communicated to
Sir Richard Dry, he, in company with the
hon. Attorney-General, visited the grave, where
they were met by Mr. J. W. Graves. The skull
found on the surface was buried in their presence,
and a general examination of the ground
was made. Whether any other step will be
taken respecting the violation of the grave
we are unable to say. The visit of ministers
to the grave was, we understand, consequent
upon a report that the coffin had been
removed, and had this been the case a
search warrant would have been issued
at their instance, as executors of "Billy Lanne,"
with instructions in the event of any portions of
the body being found in the course of its execution,
that they should be taken possession of Sir Richard
and Mr. Dobson satisfied themselves, however, of the
presence of the coffin, and therefore no step was taken,
as it is doubtful whether any legal property in the
body exists. Many rumors are afloat as to
what has become of the body, and the men
employed in the cemetery state that blood
was traced from the grave to the gate opposite
the stores of the Anglo-Australian Guano Company
in Salamanca Place, but that there the
traces were lost. There can be little doubt
that the body has been secured by the individual
who made off with the head, and possibly the fact
that it is minus feet and hands may yet lead to the
restoration of that important portion, as the skeleton
will be comparatively valueless unless perfect.
We have been informed by the Hon. Sir Richard Dry that
Dr. Crowther waited upon him on Saturday morning prior
to the mutilation being reported, and made a request
that the body should be granted to him, in order that he
might secure the skeleton for the Royal College of Surgeons, England.
Sir Richard Dry informed the Doctor of the
prior claim of the Royal Society, and expressed
his opinion that if the skeleton was to be
preserved at all, it should be in the
Hobart Town Museum, where all scientific
enquiries respecting the aboriginal race would
most probably be made. Dr. Crowther concurred
in this view, and received an assurance from Sir
Richard that, should any future opportunity
present itself of securing a skeleton for the
Royal College of Surgeons from among the graves
of the aborigines without violating the feelings
of individuals or of the community, that should
he Sir Richard continue in office, no impedient
would be placed in Dr. Crowther's way. The
report and other documents connected with the
proceedings at the dead-house of the hospital
have been referred to the Chairman of the
Board of Management of that institution, and it
is understood that an inquiry will be at once
The Mercury, Hobart, Tasmania
Monday 8 March 1869
Transcription, janilye 2014
Today's Aboriginal community after a very long campaign succeeded in obtaining the return of Lanne's skull from Edinburgh and his remains were buried in his tribal land,
The mutilation and removal of King Billy's body led to the Anatomy Act of 1869 being passed in the Tasmanian Parliament, The Act made it law that medical experiments of any sort could only take place if the deceased had agreed to it before they died or the relatives gave permission.
From David Davies, 1973 'The last of the Tasmanians', Frederick Muller, London. 235-6
Dr. Crowther of the hospital vainly applied to the Government for permission to send the skeleton to the Royal College of Surgeons in London. However, a rather macabre note was struck at Lanne’s funeral, for it was found that the head of the corpse was missing. During the night after the burial the rest of the body was dug up and several parts removed. Crowther was blamed for the removal of the head and his honorary appointment as surgeon at the Colonial Hospital terminated, but it is interesting to note that the Council of the Royal College of Surgeons awarded him during 1869 a gold medal and a Fellowship of the College, the first instance of an Australian having been given this honour.
Decendants of The EBENEZER PIONEERS OF THE HAWKESBURY
The son of Ralph TURNBULL 1814 - 1901 and Sarah Matilda, nee REYNOLDS 1823 - 1886.
Ralph, and his twin brother William were born at Colo on the 8 June 1846. The third birth and the first boys of Thirteen children. ( Ralph pronounced RAFE by the locals )
Sarah Matilda TURNBULL 1842–1930 m: Patrick DALEY 1844-1898
Sophia TURNBULL 1844–1881
William TURNBULL 1846–1940 m: Phoebe BALDWIN 1854-1938
Ralph TURNBULL 1846–1935 m: Maria Ann DUNSTON 1850-1939
Henry George TURNBULL 1848–1926 m: Drucilla Sophia EVERINGHAM 1850-1933
John TURNBULL 1850–1938 m: Phoebe Martha COBCROFT 1854-1918
Lucinda TURNBULL 1852–1938 m: Henry LOCKART
James Benjamin TURNBULL 1854–1899 m: Mary Matilda GRAHAM 1855-1918
Reuben TURNBULL 1856–1869
Elizabeth Ann TURNBULL 1858–1942 m: Thomas Jerome SALTER 1860-1921
Edward 'Ned' TURNBULL 1860–1923 m: Mazella Adeline CROSS 1871-1912
Alfred Ernest TURNBULL 1863–1915 m: Ada Emily BOWMAN 1867-1954
Edith Grace TURNBULL 1866–1866
Ralph Turnbull OBITUARY
Another of the Hawkesbury's oldest and best known identities, Mr. Ralph Turnbull, passed away at his residence, "Karoola," Wilberforce, on Monday, after a lengthy illness and at the ripe age of 88 years. Had he lived a few more days he would have reached his 89th milestone. By his death a link in a unique chain of twins has been snapped his surviving twin brother, Mr. William Turnbull, being still hale and hearty, whilst Messrs Arthur and Fred. Daley, of Wilberforce, are twin nephews, and Peter and John Nolan; sons of Mr. and Mrs. Geoff. Nolan (nee Miss Doll Greentree, of Wilberforce) are twin great-grandsons of the deceased.
Born at Colo, the deceased was a son of the late Ralph and Sarah Turnbull, and had lived in the district all his life — for the major portion at Wilberforce, where he carried on farming operations. He was married at Redfern 64 years ago to Miss Maria Ann Dunston, sister of the late Mrs. Henry Dunston, of Grose Vale, who survives, together with a family of one son and seven daughters, viz., Amy Amelia (Mrs. Fred Greentree, Mt. Keira), Willie (Wilberforce), Edith Alice (at home), Fanny (Mrs. McGregor, Wilberforce), Jessie (Mrs. Poidevin, Wollongong), Minnie (Mrs. Arthur Bootle, Pitt Town), Gladys (at home), and Dulcie (Mrs. Ronald Hall, Wilberforce). Two sons and one daughter predeceased their father.
Right throughout his long life, until he retired owing to ill health a few years ago, the late Mr. Turnbull had been a hard worker, and even in his 80's could be found tilling the soil on his farm at Wilberforce. Although he did not take a prominent part in public life, he was always keenly interested in the welfare of the district, and for many years was a member of the council of the Hawkesbury District Agricultural Association, for which he rendered yeoman service. Upon his retirement from the council he, as well as his brother, who retired some years later, were made honorary life members - an honor which has been conferred on only two other councilors since the inception of the society. Kindhearted and generous, and a Christian gentleman in the true sense of the term, Mr. Turnbull's life trail is strewn with the memories of kindly deeds, and to known him was to respect and esteem him.
It is said that the late Mr. Turnbull and his brother had never at any time lived more than a mile from each other, and that up till a few years ago the resemblance was so striking that it was difficult to tell them apart. It is true that Ralph's name often appeared under William's photograph, and vice versa, but this mistake was quite excusable considering the remarkable resemblance of the brothers. It is on record also that many years ago a well known and highly respected attorney of Windsor, who did not mix his drinks, mistaking one brother for the other, went into a long business negotiation under the misapprehension that he was dealing with William instead of Ralph, who kept the joke up in good style until the right brother came on the scene. Then there was a good laugh all round.
The funeral on Tuesday afternoon was attended by a large concourse of people from all parts of the district — a striking demonstration of the respect and esteem in which the deceased was held by the community. The remains were laid to rest in St. John's Church of England cemetery, Wilberforce, the Rector (Rev. Stanley Howard, M.A.) conducting the last sad rites. Mr. Chandler reverently carried out the funeral arrangements.
MARIA ANN TURNBULL, nee DUNSTON
AS briefly announced in our last issue, there passed away on Tuesday evening
of last week, at Wilberforce, one of the oldest and most highly-esteemed identities
of the Hawkesbury, in the person of Mrs. Maria Ann Turnbull, at the age of 89 years,
the end coming after a rather long illness, and bringing to a close a very full and
useful life spent in the service of the community.
A daughter of the late Mr. and Mrs. John Dunston, the late Mrs Turnbull was
born at "Woodside," Wilberforce, the present home of Miss S. M. Dunston, and
resided in the district throughout her whole life. In her younger days she always lent
her support to all local affairs which had as their objective the advancement of the
area in which she resided, and the district generally. The deceased was always a very
enthusiastic and untiring church worker and a regular church attendant, until advancing
years and illness obliged her to curtail her activities. Throughout her life deceased was
keenly interested in all charitable movements but, being of a retiring disposition, even
her many friends knew little of many of her charitable and Christian actions, and of
the many wayfarers who blessed her for her hospitality and her cheerful,
comforting and encouraging words, which enabled them to continue their journey with
a better outlook on life.
During her rather long illness deceased was devotedly nursed by the
two daughters who resided with her.
The late Mrs. Turnbull is survived by seven daughters, Amy (Mrs. F. Greentree,
Wollongong), Edith (Wilberforce), Fanny (Mrs. McGregor, Strathfield),
Jessie (Mrs. Poidevin, Wollongong), Minnie (Mrs. Bootle, Pitt Town),
Gladys (Wilberforce), and Dulcie (Mrs. Hall, Wilberforce), and one son,
Willie (Wilberforce). Her husband, the late Mr. Ralph Turnbull, predeceased
her some four years ago.
The funeral, which was largely attended, took place on the following Wednesday,
the remains being interred in the Church of England cemetery, Wilberforce,
the Rev. K. F. Saunders officiating at the graveside.
A feature was the profusion of beautiful wreaths which were evidence of the
respect of old friends in all parts of the district.
Mr. Chandler, of Windsor, had charge of the funeral arrangements.
LATE MRS. MARIA ANN TURNBULL
(By FLORA A. TIMMS)
With the passing away of Mrs. M. A.
Turnbull, of "Karoola," Wilberforce, in her
89th year, on April 11, another link with the
romantic past of the Hawkesbury District
has been severed.
"Woodside," the present home of Miss S.
M. Dunston, was the old homestead of the
late Mr. and Mrs. John Dunston, and it
was there that their daughter was born,
within a mile of ''Karoola." In 1872 she
married the late Mr. Ralph Turnbull, who
predeceased her by a few years. Miss Dun-
ston, of Dight-street, Windsor, is the only
Mrs. Turnbull was a lady of outstanding
character, and her keen mental faculties re-
mained unimpaired. A good conversation-
alist, it was a delight to listen to her remin-
iscences of the pioneering days, some of
which are now housed in the Mitchell Li-
brary. On a recent visit—the last one alas—
the writer was impressed by her wonderful
memory, clear diction, and touches of humor.
Although confined to the couch, her eye was
as bright, and her laugh as hearty as ever,
creating the usual atmosphere of the home-
maker that she had ever been. It was touch-
ing to see the cheerful resignation with
which she bore the trial of not being able
to get about the house and among the
flowers, a trial softened by the devoted care
of her daughters, the Misses Edith and
Integrity and sincerity were marked traits
in Mrs. Turnbull's character, and her sound
judgment was ever tempered with mercy.
"Karoola" was a centre where friends liked
to meet, attracted thither by the genial per-
sonality of the "lady of the house," and now,
after her long life of loving service, she is
resting in the beautiful old cemetery on the
hillside where so many of her kith and kin
had gone before. She loved the sacred "God's
Acre," and never wearied of telling stories
connected with the crumbling old vaults.
"Father, in Thy gracious keeping,
Leave we now Thy servant sleeping."
This letter below from Dulcie Dunston HALL nee Turnbull gives a more informed history of the Dunstons'
Referring to two articles by Mrs. Flora A. Timms in your issues of June 16
and July 28, in one of which she asks, 'Has the clan no theories on the subject?'
Yes! Being a daughter of the late Maria Ann Turnbull (nee Dunston), I have a very
decided theory on the subject. Mother's father was. John Dunston, son of the first
David Dunston— who evidently arrived in Australia on the ship 'Nelantus' in 1791— and
brother of the second David. The first David and his wife Mary— not Maria— are buried in
the family vault in old St. John's C. of E. Cemetery, Wilberforce, along with my grand-
father, John, and his two brothers, Stephen and James.
The inscriptions on this vault all read Dunston:—"David Dunston, died 5th Decr. 1836,
aged 72 years." (He must have been born in 1764, making him 27 on his arrival in
Australia). "Mary Dunston, died 27th March, 1836, aged 67 years." (Thus proving her born
in 1769, and 21 years of age when she arrived in Australia in 1790. "Stephen Dunston,
died 4th Feb., 1840, aged 40 years." (Making his birth in 1800).
John Dunston, died July, 1876, aged 74 years," (making his birth in 1802).
"James Dunston, died 20th Nov., 1841, aged 38 years," (making his birth
The three last named were sons of David and Mary, and their brother David lies in
the C. of E. Cemetery, at Windsor, beside his wife, Maria. The inscriptions read: -
"Maria Dunstan, died Feb. 1st., 1878, aged 81."
"David Dunstan, died Aug. 2nd. 1881, aged 86," (making his birth in 1795).
There was another brother, Richard, and I think he is buried in the
Windsor C. of E. cemetery, but in what year he was born, I have
not yet discovered. I think it is apparent that David (the first) spelled his name
with the "o," or why inscribe it thus on his tombstone? It may be argued that a
dead man would have no say in the matter, and that my grandfather had it written
"o" just because he spelled his name with the "o "
Stephen, the other brother, father of John, the Kurrajong branch of the family,
used the "o" also, as did James.
Mother has often told us that her father, John, and his brother
David, had a row resulting in David saying that he would never bear the same name
again as John. David it was who changed
the "o" to "a" and I think it is likely that he was the David who married
Maria, daughter of Major Cushley, or Cusley. Miss Rachel Dunstan would be a
grand-daughter of the second David, and great-grand-daughter of the first David.
There is nothing to indicate that Dunston has any connection with any English name,
seeing that the first David was a Welshman.
In her article dated July 28th., Mrs. Timms says David Dunstan, farmer, Wilberforce,
came to Australia in the ship 'Nelantus,' in 1791. His wife, Mary, came in the 'Julia
Ann' in 1790.
If I remember rightly, the first free settlers came out early after 1800, on
the 'Coromandel.' Seemingly, then, David was either a naval or military man,
or else a convict, and his wife, coming out a year previous to his arrival, would seem to have
been a convict. Is there any record of their marriage after their arrival, or did she come
as Mary Dunston, or Dunstan? The fact that David came out as early as 1791, and if they
were married then, and that the eldest child was born in 1895, would lead one to think
that either the wife or perhaps both were convicts.
I think it probable that the correct name of the ship that Mary came out in was the
'Julia Ann,' and that Maria Cusley, who evidently married Mary's and David's son, David,
came in a much later ship — perhaps the 'Lady Juliana.' Yours etc.,
DULCIE D. HALL.
Wilberforce, Aug. 21st., 1939.
Windsor & Richmond Gazette
7 June 1935, p 11
Windsor and Richmond Gazette
Fri 21 Apr 1939 Page 4
The TURNBULL twins were Councillors for many years on the
Hawkesbury District Agricultural Association and
"being confirmed tea drinkers, at afternoon tea time, supplied
their own cups - huge affairs, more than three times the size of
One of the giant size china cups was mounted and designated
the "Turnbull Cup", as an annual trophy awarded to
"the most successful exhibitor in the draught horse classes".
The trophy was awarded from 1930 to 1940. Shows were not
staged during the war years and when they resumed in 1947, the
Turnbull Cup was awarded for the last time. The tractor had replaced
the draught horse for many farm activities so there were very few
entries in that section. The cup is now a museum piece ....
[page 103, Hawkesbury Journey, ISBN 0 908120 87 7]
'Macquarie Country' is a companion volume to 'Hawkesbury Journey'.